Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #1591
TipsyTraveler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
Question....we are staying second half of our trip at akv and I am wondering when to fit Boma in for a meal and if it's a must do. I am debating dinner there our last night or breakfast departure day and doing BOG and wishes after ak all day. What are everyone's thoughts?? I am worried if it's exciting enough to end our trip with.
Boma is good but I don't know that I'd consider it "exciting". It sounds like you're looking for a memorable go-out-with-a-bang kind of activity for your last night at Disney, and you're trying to decide between dinner at Beast's Castle followed by fireworks over MK vs. a hotel buffet. C'mon, you already know the answer, right? You can do Boma for breakfast and that way you get to have your cake and eat it too.
TipsyTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #1592
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Hello there! We are coming to AKL for DS's birthday in August thanks to Orbitz and I think I'm still in shock. I never thought we'd get to be in a Deluxe for this trip.

We got a standard room, and I know from the Disney site that bunk beds are an option in this category; do I have to call Disney for that, or is that a request that can be made during online check-in? Should I fax? I need to tell them about the birthday anyway. We've never stayed at a Disney resort before, so I know faxing was a big thing in the past but that some resorts don't pay attention to it anymore.

Also, how far in advance does the activities schedule get released? We're spending one day at AK but the other two days at the resort.

Thank you! Can you tell I'm excited?!

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #1593
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Hello there! We are coming to AKL for DS's birthday in August thanks to Orbitz and I think I'm still in shock. I never thought we'd get to be in a Deluxe for this trip.

We got a standard room, and I know from the Disney site that bunk beds are an option in this category; do I have to call Disney for that, or is that a request that can be made during online check-in? Should I fax? I need to tell them about the birthday anyway. We've never stayed at a Disney resort before, so I know faxing was a big thing in the past but that some resorts don't pay attention to it anymore.

Also, how far in advance does the activities schedule get released? We're spending one day at AK but the other two days at the resort.

Thank you! Can you tell I'm excited?!

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

I could be wrong, but I don't think bunk beds are an option in a standard room?
The activities schedule is released each month. I believe that with the exception of the movie schedule, they seem to stay pretty much the same month to month. There are a ton of fabulous activities each day.
I hope you love AKL as much as we do!.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #1594
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie68 View Post
Yes I did the exact same dates. August 7th to August 10th and August 2nd to August 7th.
….ah…..mine are October 29 - November 3….
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #1595
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post
Hi there! This is my first time joining this group and I am so excited as I have finally secured a 1 bedroom Villa (Value priced) for my trip in November This will be my first trip to AKL/AKV, but somewhere in the area of trip 16/17 to WDW. I'm going back in an attempt to kind of catch up, I am super excited to be going as I have always wanted to stay at AKL!
and Jambo!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #1596
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Hi Meghatron! Bunk Beds is a bookable room category at AKL which is normally more expensive than a standard room. There may be none left with the discount if it didn't come up on Orbitz. That doesn't mean you can't put in a request for it however, you can always try! I know most resorts do not accept faxed room requests any more (I don't know for sure about AKL), but you can call & have your request added to your reservation on the regular reservations line.

You're going to love the activities at AKL!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #1597
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

This is copied directly from disneyworld.com's listing when I check for booking a room at AKL:

"Standard View
View Photos
Views of Rooftop or Parking Area
2 Queen Beds or 1 Queen Bed and 1 Bunk Bed or 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed or 1 Queen Bed and 1 Day Bed
Sleeps up to 4"

Compared to the higher bookable categories, which would guarantee bunk beds, I assumed this meant it would be a request only, like other deluxe hotel room configurations that have a variety of options like king + daybed, 2 queens + daybed, 2 queens, etc.

We don't *need* the bunks, otherwise we would not have booked at AKL at all. But since their website says this, I was going to request them for my kids. Is this yet another example of WDW not actually knowing what they're doing?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #1598
thumper*
Disney Dreamer

Meghatron congrats and welcome to the the thread.

When we checked in the last time at the desk not online, I didn't like the location of our room w/ king bed. The CM offered me probably about 5 different room before there was one in a location I liked. It was 2 queens and not the king I had wanted but it was the ideal location in the hotel for us and that was more important to us then bed type.

So after that long story my point is that they will try to give you what you requested and will work with you if the rooms are available. Now with that said we were there in the slow month of Sept. and you'll be there in a busier month so availabilty may be slimmer.

I think and hope that you will get what you requested. Just call and let them note your request on your reservation.

Sept 2010 AKL Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2562391
Epcot 1991 for honeymoon.....off site
M.K. & Epcot 1985 1'st visit....off site
My Ebay store for Disney stuff..................magsco5 Harley...Smoke...Churchill R.I.P...Winston R.I.P.
thumper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #1599
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper* View Post
Meghatron congrats and welcome to the the thread.

When we checked in the last time at the desk not online, I didn't like the location of our room w/ king bed. The CM offered me probably about 5 different room before there was one in a location I liked. It was 2 queens and not the king I had wanted but it was the ideal location in the hotel for us and that was more important to us then bed type.

So after that long story my point is that they will try to give you what you requested and will work with you if the rooms are available. Now with that said we were there in the slow month of Sept. and you'll be there in a busier month so availabilty may be slimmer.

I think and hope that you will get what you requested. Just call and let them note your request on your reservation.
I'm so happy to be at AKL that they could put us in the basement and I'd be fine. All I'm trying to do is figure out if the website is accurate, because if it's not, then I won't bother making the request at all. I don't want to seem like I'm asking for a room upgrade that I didn't pay for. I will take whatever they have, because we're lucky to even be staying there!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #1600
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
I'm so happy to be at AKL that they could put us in the basement and I'd be fine. All I'm trying to do is figure out if the website is accurate, because if it's not, then I won't bother making the request at all. I don't want to seem like I'm asking for a room upgrade that I didn't pay for. I will take whatever they have, because we're lucky to even be staying there!
Great attitude to have!!! A day in the basement at AKL is probably better than a day at home at work LOL!

I don't know why they'd word it that way when its a bookable category, who knows. I'd definitely request it - its not like you're asking for Club Level when booking a standard room. All they can do is say no.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #1601
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post
Hi there! This is my first time joining this group and I am so excited as I have finally secured a 1 bedroom Villa (Value priced) for my trip in November This will be my first trip to AKL/AKV, but somewhere in the area of trip 16/17 to WDW. I'm going back in an attempt to kind of catch up, I am super excited to be going as I have always wanted to stay at AKL!
Enjoy your trip! I'm sure you'll like it!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #1602
psac
DIS Veteran

T-1 Week until our first DVC stay at Kidani! Woo hoo!

Part of our plan for chosing Kidani over Jambo house was that we were going to rent a car, since we like eating at signatures and other resort restaurants every night (besides Boma and Jiko, obviously), and we thought the convenient Kidani parking would be helpful. But now the rental car rates are way higher than other times of the year (damm spring break!) It'll be cheaper for us to just cab it to the restaurants. Oh well. It'll still be good to give Kidani a try for comparison (we loved our cash stay at Jambo last year), and the extra bathroom in the 1BR will be REALLY nice!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #1603
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
Just completed my online check-in for May 17-24 ... my crowd is officially 60 days from AKL,
May
Caseytigger, 1st – 5th, AKL
The Yeti Guy, 2nd – 5th, AKL
Shaden, 2nd – 6th, AKL Jambo House
dolphigirl47, 2nd – 17th, Disney Wonder Panama Canal Cruise
Hill6, 5th – 8th, AKL Kidani
CupcakeKelly, 5th – 8th, AKL
RebelSoul, 5th – 11th, AKV Jambo
Jenbrewer, 6th – 8th, AKL CL
Hill6, 8th – 10th, AKL Kidani
DevonsDisneyMom, 9th – 17th, AKV Jambo
Zeldot, 10th – 14th, AKL CL
jmetz1028, 13th – 18th, AKL
amazingact21, 14th – 15th, AKL
AddictedtoDoleWhip, 17th – 24th, AKL
Jeffbear, 17th – 24th, AKL
hemmie, 20th -26th, AKL
RachelTori, 20th-27th, AKV-CL; Dolphin
chocovrdmicears, 20th – 28th, AKL
Momto8, 23rd – 30th, Jambo House
Vital, 23rd – 31st, Jambo House
Paula Sedley-Burke, 26th – 28th, ASMu
Paula Sedley-Burke, 28th – Jun 4th, SSR
franandaj, 28th - Jun 4th, VGF

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #1604
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
and Jambo!
Thanks so much! Glad to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
Enjoy your trip! I'm sure you'll like it!
Thank you, I am so excited to finally be staying there I have a lot planned, but I am waiting on the November calendar to put down activities with dates.
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #1605
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie68 View Post
Hi everyone,

What a great thread! I just booked AKL Jambo House for 3 nights. August7th to August 10th. I booked a pool view thought it would be nice. We are so excited.

We have stayed at CSR and POR and have had to walk about 10 minutes to get to the pool from our rooms. Is walking to Kidani pool kind of the same thing from Jambo? I know my DD will like the slide better there. Also, is there a hot tub at Kidani?

Thanks for your help!
August
anjalee6, Jul 28th – 6th, AKL
bobbie68, 7th – 10th, AKL
MomofDisneyLoversx3, 11th -18th, WL
katema52, 16th – 22nd, Kidani
eangel12, 20th – 21st, AKL CL
15isto2, 30th-Sept 27th, Kidani

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: