Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #1276
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Orlando View Post
Happy Halloween to you too BlueSkies and all Grand fans!
Hi Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton View Post
happy halloween, everyone! it's a perfect halloween day here.... unseasonably warm for PA but very foggy, overcast, still, and spooky.

can't wait to see some more from blue and bcv23.

i was going through a bin today to find something for my shoebox donations for operation christmas child, and i came across a few GF resort soaps. oops. anyway, i actually don't love their soap but the smell, ahhhhh, it just brought me right back...
Love the smell of the soap too...I even love the soap! LOL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post

I'll second that! It's why we spend as much or more time at the resort as we do in the parks!

Beth, I'd have a very hard time letting go of my GF soap, even for those shoeboxes!!

THREE days!!!!!! Are you packed...are you ready!!!??? I know that you must be super excited!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmocha View Post
HAPPY HALLOWEEN! [/B]

Have wonderful day to all the people on my favorite thread on the DIS! Only 49 more sleeps until we get to Orlando (and then we spend a couple days on the darkside) and then 53 days until our Christmas stay at the Grand!
Right back atcha princessmocha.... 53 days will fly by!

BCV I have a funny villa story..We were getting a tour and a very nice couple who said they were owners ..not at VGF but at several other properties including Aulani began to tell us how much they loved DVC...And I though to myself could this be BCV and her DH??? So I asked them where they were from..I remembered that you are from Illinois...but they said Florida...otherwise it could have been a mini DIS meet up! Hope you had a grand stay..the villas are gorgeous!

MickeyNut I bet it was a Mickey Halloween at your house! Trip tweaking?? Spill the beans girl wanna hear all about it...

ahcupcake Thanks for the warm welcome back!

BlueGiraffe I know that there are sometimes minimum night stay booking restrictions at certain times of the year..and sometimes days of the week..I would definitely call and talk to central reservations so that you can get your trip booked...Best of luck!

Elena ADS...love it..and your cure for it too!!!

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans had a Happy Halloween!

I know I am dragging my feet again...sorry...

but here goes....

Trip review..Part Two

Transportation

We really only use Disney transportation on vacation..and generally have had good experiences with it...

Took the bus once...I did notice a new electronic board at the Gf bus stop..and it tells you the approximate arrival time of the bus that you are waiting for... to disney for doing this...If I am gonna wait..I appreciate knowing how long the wait will be...

Crowd level...When we arrived at the bus stop it was empty..there was a CM..looking all official with his hat and ear piece on...communicating with the bus gods......

Now I dont know if this has to do with the extra guests at VGF or not..but when we arrived at the bus stop it was empty..no one else there...We sat right on a front bench...during the 10 minute wait for the bus..Yes only 10 minutes!! The entire bus stop filled up..every seat..on every bench..and then some...people standing in the back area...Needless to say the bus was packed...

On a side note...why is it there are always a few peeps that think that even though lots of others have been waiting their turn to board the bus they can just walk to the front of the line and board before others?????????? Really the CM and bus driver should address this as soon as the bus arrives...but I have yet to see that happen????????

So bus service is getting a from me...but as for the CMs who should directing the crowds in order to "help" some peeps to remember to be courteous... I am giving no thumps up at all..

Magic Bands in the parks

I talked about DME and check in with the bands...which was really so seamless... but I wanted to touch base on our park and FP+ experience with them also...

I know we all have been in those great big lines waiting to put our passes thru the entrace turnstile.... and sometimes..those passes didnt scan...or some peeps forget to put their finger in place on time... (not me..?? Well maybe sometimes ) LOL..

Well...we didnt experience any lines at all!!!! Just walked on up..tap..put your finger on the scanner..and green light to go..quick and easy....

Same with FP+..one tap to get on the FP line..another at the head of the line before boarding..easy as could be.. What great technology....

Ok except for one thing...one afternoon when it was on the warmer side...the band was making my wrist sweat ( and I was thinking..this would not be good in July and August!) ...and having a small wrist..I wish they had a lady sized band...LOL..You know like mens and womens watches...maybe thats something we will see in the next generation MB!!

MBs in the parks are getting a Blue's ...

This is turning into a very long story..lol..and I have probably exceeded my smilie limit... so I will be continuing with my review of the villas tomorrow...and I will get my techno saavy friend Maxie86 to post the pics that we took...

Thanks for reading along GF fans...ttyt..I hear some left over Halloween candy calling my name! .............

Last edited by BlueSkies; 10-31-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #1277
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by followthatmouse View Post
Hey, all!

We don't really celebrate Halloween down here in Oz. However, the other day, I did pass a store window that had a Mickey Halloween Candy Bucket from a MNSSHP!

As for soaps and other lovely things, I looked in the bathroom cupboard and what did I find? Yep, a whole tube of Basin soaps from last December's trip! I whipped that lid off and inhaled... The bathroom now smells like the GF lobby!
follow that mouse and k&a&c'smom i have a confession. i had this delicious smelling basin soap. it was face soap but it was making my face break out like crazy. but it smelled EXACTLY like the GF lobby and i couldn't get enough of that. so i took that sucker in its soap dish and put it on my nightstand for an entire week just to get the smell. i know, i know. soap dish on my nightstand. loser!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #1278
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I'm not sure how small your wrist is, but you can removed the grayish part of the band to make it smaller
Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #1279
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Soooo.....we cut our GF stay from 10 nights down to 5....because we added a cruise (our first ever) on the Disney Dream!!!

Now, I'm looking at the RPC because it's only 5 nights.

It's only $683 more....I'm sooooooo tempted.....would you do it????

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #1280
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
I'm not sure how small your wrist is, but you can removed the grayish part of the band to make it smaller
Thanks DDN I had no idea that you could do that!

Quote:
follow that mouse and k&a&c'smom i have a confession. i had this delicious smelling basin soap. it was face soap but it was making my face break out like crazy. but it smelled EXACTLY like the GF lobby and i couldn't get enough of that. so i took that sucker in its soap dish and put it on my nightstand for an entire week just to get the smell. i know, i know. soap dish on my nightstand. loser!
bethclayton I see nothing wrong with that at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Soooo.....we cut our GF stay from 10 nights down to 5....because we added a cruise (our first ever) on the Disney Dream!!!

Now why doesnt this surprise me..?? Changing your trip aound.. but with a new twist...now you have gone from resort hopping to adding cruises! LOL.. I personally think that in the summer months..most especially with children..you are better off in SL than RPC..I would take the extra $$ and stay CL on the cruise...Have done it and its absolutely wonderful!

and ..Congrats on booking your first Disney cruise...

Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #1281
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post

Thanks DDN I had no idea that you could do that!

bethclayton I see nothing wrong with that at all!

Now why doesnt this surprise me..?? Changing your trip aound.. but with a new twist...now you have gone from resort hopping to adding cruises! LOL.. I personally think that in the summer months..most especially with children..you are better off in SL than RPC..I would take the extra $$ and stay CL on the cruise...Have done it and its absolutely wonderful!

and ..Congrats on booking your first Disney cruise...

I'm out of control!!!!

The cruise is something we've thrown around for a long time....but have never committed to. However, as our August trip will be the 5th (and for me 6th) in 5 years, we were starting to realize that we were running out of things that we want to do.

The purpose of next years trip is to ride the mine train....good reason, right.
So, as long as that is done, we are good, so no real need for our usual 11 days and voila! The Disney Cruise was booked!

However, we will now just purchase the 4 day military hopper which saves us a ton and since we won't go into the park on our arrival day....a TPV room in RPC was looking

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #1282
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
We checkout today. Sob. My daughter and I have decided we could live in this two bedroom dedicated villa. It is so lovely. I free with Blue Skies about the Magic Bands and triple sheeting. Both are winners with my family.
Sorry your trip has come to an end .....but glad you enjoyed the villa. Can't wait to hear all about it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
It is a great resort to spend time in, we love hanging out, having a meal, listening to the music.~sigh~
Me too .

Quote:
Good morning fellow GF fans!

HappyHalloween!!!
Right back atcha .

Quote:
happy halloween, everyone! it's a perfect halloween day here.... unseasonably warm for PA but very foggy, overcast, still, and spooky.
Glad you had a nice Halloween day . Our temps were warm, but it has been raining since last night, with the rain going through tonight .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
I'll second that! It's why we spend as much or more time at the resort as we do in the parks!
Same here.....we spend way more time at the resort than at the parks and I'm fine with that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaJane View Post
The only cure of ADS (after Disney syndrome) I know of is to start planning the next trip!
I totally agree .

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmocha View Post
Have wonderful day to all the people on my favorite thread on the DIS! Only 49 more sleeps until we get to Orlando (and then we spend a couple days on the darkside) and then 53 days until our Christmas stay at the Grand!
Same to you . The days will go by before you know it and you will soon be relaxing at the Grand .

Quote:
Originally Posted by followthatmouse View Post
We don't really celebrate Halloween down here in Oz. However, the other day, I did pass a store window that had a Mickey Halloween Candy Bucket from a MNSSHP!
It's always fun seeing Mickey stuff .

Quote:
MickeyNut I bet it was a Mickey Halloween at your house! Trip tweaking?? Spill the beans girl wanna hear all about it...
You know it ......can't have Halloween (or any holiday) without Mickey . I also added some Disney Halloween decorations to my brothers house.....gotta get that niece of mine thinking the right way . No tweaking done as of yet, but I'm working on it .

Thanks for your continued review.....can't wait to see all of your great pics .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #1283
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

blue, thank you for indulging us with your reviews! i am totally glued to this thread to look for updates, lol!

i really hope the bus situation doesn't become the disaster that AKL became. i hadn't even thought of that. when we stayed at AKL i was so impressed with the bus service... but then we visited AKL a couple of years later after kidani was built and the buses were a nightmare, to the extent that we have never stayed there again even though we long for it.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #1284
kerriburke
Earning My Ears

Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #1285
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

mickeynut - I hear ya, we've had nothing but rain for 3 days straight. I'm so ready to see the sun!

BlueSkies - thanks for more review! I laughed about your wish for a child's MB, I have wondered about the size. I have small wrists, too, most bracelets and watches are too big for me, even on the tightest setting.

Cute story about thinking you may have met BCV23 and her DH on the tour. I'm sorry it wasn't, I have met them and they are, indeed, extremely nice people.

Quote:
Loser for having the soap on your nightstand?! If that were so, you would be in good company! Which Basin soap smells like the lobby? I cannot go into the store(sob!) due to allergies, but DD does - she'll want to know which one to bring home next trip.

Quote:

In a heartbeat!!

Quote:

I'm out of control!!!!

The cruise is something we've thrown around for a long time....but have never committed to. However, as our August trip will be the 5th (and for me 6th) in 5 years, we were starting to realize that we were running out of things that we want to do.

The purpose of next years trip is to ride the mine train....good reason, right.
So, as long as that is done, we are good, so no real need for our usual 11 days and voila! The Disney Cruise was booked!

However, we will now just purchase the 4 day military hopper which saves us a ton and since we won't go into the park on our arrival day....a TPV room in RPC was looking
I think you've made your case...you should book RPC. There. Decision made.

Quote:
i really hope the bus situation doesn't become the disaster that AKL became. i hadn't even thought of that. when we stayed at AKL i was so impressed with the bus service... but then we visited AKL a couple of years later after kidani was built and the buses were a nightmare, to the extent that we have never stayed there again even though we long for it.
Me, too. If I'm being totally honest, this very situation has been my fear since VGF was announced. We, too, have had issues with the AKL buses since the opening of Kidani; many people say that is not the norm, but we've had 2 trips now where we have waited...and waited...and waited - even for the AK bus! It's like...2 minutes away.~sigh~ We love AKL, but have not spent as much time there in recent years, mostly due to our bus experiences.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #1286
Candy Orlando
DIS Veteran

K&a&c'smom and BlueSkies, I don't like to wear bracelets. Maybe if I take off the gray part on the MB I won't mind wearing it because it will be lighter. I hope it fits.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #1287
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
I saw a photo today of the bulldozers taking out the hill at Sunset Point, a long time favorite of ours as well. It's hard to see much loved places change, I know.

I think you will end up loving the Grand almost as much as the Poly. We are Poly lovers who were converted to GF lovers over the years. For us, they seem almost like sister resorts as it is so easy to move between them for dining, shopping, etc.

Hopefully someone can help with your question about the noise in the next couple weeks.

Oh, I'm sure you know this, but the lowest room category at the Grand is garden view - no standard room views. Very few bad views at the Grand! A handful of rooms with what most would term "less desirable" is about it.
Thanks for the info! The Grand sounds like the Poly in that way, with a majority of rooms having good views.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and hope to find much to love about the "new" Poly. Hopefully we'll be chatting in a few years about our new discoveries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post

You will LOVE the GF . The Poly is our favorite and as much as I'd love to stay there for our upcoming trip in March, the construction wouldn't bother me, but the closure of the volcano pool is a deal breaker . With that said, the GF is a great alternative . The grounds are beautiful and the overall feel of the resort is .
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to relaxing around the resort and enjoying all it has to offer.

Quote:

I don't have an exact answer for you..but having stayed at the GF a few timse during the construction there..and having a room overlooking the VGF during the height of construction..we never heard a thing in the room...so I would think that you would be ok in Boca Chica since it would be quite a distance away from the work going on over at the Poly.. enjoy your first GF stay..I bet it wont be your last!!
That is great news. I am looking forward to the water view, so will stay put and continue to anticipate lovely mornings and evenings at the resort!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #1288
princessmocha
Mouseketeer

Quote:
YAY! Your trip will be here before you know it. Which "dark side" resort will you be staying in? We love them all, though HRH and PBH are our favorites.
We are going to be staying at HRH. I thought it would be the one my kiddos would enjoy the most. We are getting very excited in our house. DD has been sitting with me and looking through all the pics of the Grand.... We can't wait to see the gingerbread house and all the decorations. Soooo excited!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #1289
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

trishadon, so excited for you. We had an accessible villa with tub so did not have the large shower in the master. The separate shower in the second bath was spacious and had a rain shower head as well as the normal one. Two months a From now for you.

My pleasure, Elena. ADS.....love it. I always follow that advice. Our next trip is in Feb and we're wait listed for VGF.

Thanks, mickeynut1. We start cruising today so that eases the pain a lot!

BlueSkies, it would have been so nice to have met you! I enjoyed your review. We were talking about Magic Bands with a CM we know. He said the supposedly making the band tighter on hot days makes it cooler on hot days. Did you try winding yours all the way to the color part of the band? And as noted, you can remove the dark grey part. I liked being able to modify fast passes as needed in the park. Also Spaceship Earth went down during our FP window. I received an email saying we could choose to go to any one of quite a list of attractions any time that day to use FP. Soarin and Test Track were not on the list so I suppose that varies based in availability.

K&a&c'smom, I don't plan on a review but will say congrats to any one who owns at VGF. Stunning.

grannyminnie, have an awesome vacation.

Hi to all!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #1290
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
blue, thank you for indulging us with your reviews! i am totally glued to this thread to look for updates, lol!

This is one reason I'm happy that we are close enough to drive down..

Yes, Blue, I am SUPER-excited! Reading your TR is especially fun, since we are so close. That lobby is calling my name!

Beth, you know you're in good company (GF soap on your bedside table)! I have been known to open a bottle of the shampoo just to smell it!

Mousemommy, I agree with k&a&c'smom...I would upgrade to RPC for that amount in a skinny minute!!

Mickeynut, you WILL keep us posted when you tweak that trip, right??

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: