Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #1051
Disney Spaz
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom-We are super excited and thank you so much for this amazing thread. GF has been my favorite resort since it opened and your thread captures the beauty of the resort.

BlueSkies- We actually are having our first stay this Saturday. We check in 10/26 and stay fro 5 nights in a 1 bedroom standard view. This week is dragging.

mickeynut1-Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #1052
Maxie86
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom, Ahhh that PBH bed looks so comfy.

For those wondering what the new bedding looks like.

We did a YC/GF split in May and BWI in September. The GF still had the bedspreads in May.

BWI

YC was a little better, but it was still only a thin blanket in there. Maybe this was a duvet and not a sheet, can't remember. I do remember that is was not warm enough.

Turn down at the YC...at least you still get chocolates.

ppiew, I have never heard anyone describe the Grand as dark before. I don't think it is dark at all. I do agree with you though with the price they charge for those rooms there should be better amenities all around. The beds should at least look like the PBH beds.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #1053
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

I've been musing, maybe the recent switch to the triple sheeting at various resorts is simply a placeholder for the real thing? Perhaps, with upcoming refurbs, they are waiting until they get their textiles made? (I'm still holding out hope, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Spaz View Post
k&a&c'smom-We are super excited and thank you so much for this amazing thread. GF has been my favorite resort since it opened and your thread captures the beauty of the resort.

BlueSkies- We actually are having our first stay this Saturday. We check in 10/26 and stay fro 5 nights in a 1 bedroom standard view. This week is dragging.

You are welcome! It's a group effort, so many friendly and knowledgeable DISers here.

I'll bet this week IS dragging, I'm excited for your first trip "home"! Can't wait to hear your review.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #1054
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie86 View Post
k&a&c'smom, Ahhh that PBH bed looks so comfy.

For those wondering what the new bedding looks like.

We did a YC/GF split in May and BWI in September. The GF still had the bedspreads in May.

BWI

YC was a little better, but it was still only a thin blanket in there. Maybe this was a duvet and not a sheet, can't remember. I do remember that is was not warm enough.

Turn down at the YC...at least you still get chocolates.

Posting at the same time - where is BlueSkies?! I expect her to have a post any minute now.

Thanks for those photos - the YC top sheet looks exactly like the woven pattern I saw on the Poly beds...I think! I'll have to go look again. ETA: Nope, I was wrong, they look like the plain ones in the BWI photos.

Those PBH beds are incredible, we had a hard time getting out of them. At the end of the day, when DD, her BFF and I got into bed, we would argue about who was getting up to make sure the door was locked, etc. The pix of the (possible) new Four Seasons rooms look very similar, to me.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 10-21-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #1055
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Does anyone have a recent (last 3 months) picture of a room in CL?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #1056
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
Does anyone have a recent (last 3 months) picture of a room in CL?
I have some from April - 6 mos., not 3, but they are the same so far. (unless they are already having the bedspread removed, too!)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #1057
DisneyDmbNut

WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I have some from April - 6 mos., not 3, but they are the same so far. (unless they are already having the bedspread removed, too!)
I thought someone said the GF had..I just wondered.

I guess I am in the minority..I like the white duvets..But, I also watched a thing on 20/20 or dateline about hotel rooms and the bedspread inspection was SCARY!!
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #1058
Disneyducks
Earning My Ears

Hello all! I am new to this thread and have never stayed at the GF! Is anybody able to tell me if construction is going at the resort in Nov? We are coming down Nov 15-23 and would like to have a stay here. What is the best options for a family of four with a napping toddler midday? Would like a room with a view but not too noisy? Is that possible here? We have stayed at other resorts and have been intrigued by this one. Also what building and view would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #1059
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought someone said the GF had..I just wondered.

I guess I am in the minority..I like the white duvets..But, I also watched a thing on 20/20 or dateline about hotel rooms and the bedspread inspection was SCARY!!
Well, the resort is supposed to undergo a room refurb rumored to be starting in January. So far, we have had reports that some rooms are starting to have only triple sheeting (no bedspread, no duvet) with a runner or scarf. Not sure yet whether this is throughout all rooms.

I don't mind the duvets, but I'm not fond of white. Makes the WDW rooms look like any room, in any hotel. I, and many WDW regulars, prefer to see and feel Disney when we are in our rooms.

We usually take those scary reports with a grain of salt. For some people, having a bedspread seems to exacerbate their germaphobia! It doesn't bother me at the WDW resorts, I have seen them change the spreads when making up the rooms, so I know they do so regularly. We spoke with a mousekeeper at the YC last year, and she assured me the duvet covers get replaced between each guest (and we saw her doing it in our room as we entered).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyducks View Post
Hello all! I am new to this thread and have never stayed at the GF! Is anybody able to tell me if construction is going at the resort in Nov? We are coming down Nov 15-23 and would like to have a stay here. What is the best options for a family of four with a napping toddler midday? Would like a room with a view but not too noisy? Is that possible here? We have stayed at other resorts and have been intrigued by this one. Also what building and view would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated!
Hello! The best place to start is to read through the first page of this thread. Lots of info there, to help you decide if the resort is right for you and what room category you prefer.

All GF rooms have some sort of view - there are no "parking lot" views at the Grand. In the garden view category, you will have either a view of the courtyard with pool, the marina or the back side of Sago, which has lovely landscaping and a view of the monorail.

As far as I know, there is no major construction planned for November.

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 10-21-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #1060
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't mind the duvets, but I'm not fond of white. Makes the WDW rooms look like any room, in any hotel. I, and many WDW regulars, prefer to see and feel Disney when we are in our rooms.

We usually take those scary reports with a grain of salt. For some people, having a bedspread seems to exacerbate their germaphobia! It doesn't bother me at the WDW resorts, I have seen them change the spreads when making up the rooms, so I know they do so regularly. We spoke with a mousekeeper at the YC last year, and she assured me the duvet covers get replaced between each guest (and we saw her doing it in our room as we entered).
I wonder if they went to white so they could bleach the heck out of them (or at least hot water) in between? I agree with you, yet hadn't really thought about it before...I wouldn't want it to look like a regular hotel when I got there. I can't imagine no blanket!! I would think that maybe that looked good on paper...Once they realize mousekeeping is spending more time running blankets to all the rooms they may change their minds? I like to curl up in a warm blanket (even in Florida!!), so that would not work for me either!

Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #1061
yce22princess
Mouseketeer

Are there any pictures of this yet? Did I miss that somewhere?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #1062
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
I wonder if they went to white so they could bleach the heck out of them (or at least hot water) in between? I agree with you, yet hadn't really thought about it before...I wouldn't want it to look like a regular hotel when I got there. I can't imagine no blanket!! I would think that maybe that looked good on paper...Once they realize mousekeeping is spending more time running blankets to all the rooms they may change their minds? I like to curl up in a warm blanket (even in Florida!!), so that would not work for me either!
It's possible, but the duvets at Y&BC were not all white. At YC, it was a white duvet but with a blue lined border. BC had a cream colored duvet, which I preferred - just looked prettier to me and blended well with the room decor.

The triple sheeting does have a thin blanket between the two top sheets - this is the kind of sheeting the Grand has always had, but with a bedspread on top! The other resorts had regular double sheeting, with spreads for years but switched out to duvets in the last 2-3. I can't imagine having no cover on the beds; as others have said, it kind of makes "turn down" a moot point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yce22princess View Post
Are there any pictures of this yet? Did I miss that somewhere?
maxie posted some photos of the YC and BWI rooms without spread or duvet - up the page!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #1063
DisneyDmbNut

WL Vet

Quote:
Well, the resort is supposed to undergo a room refurb rumored to be starting in January. So far, we have had reports that some rooms are starting to have only triple sheeting (no bedspread, no duvet) with a runner or scarf. Not sure yet whether this is throughout all rooms.

Weird to only have triple sheets and no top. I do like the triple sheets on the cruise ships.

CSR has a runner and I think it is VERY Disney. I imagine that washing bedspreads can get costly..if everything goes to white, then they can make larger laundry runs..less labor to have to separate the spreads..

Guess I am not a "regular"...I have only had 6 trips so far this year
Old 10-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #1064
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Guess I am not a "regular"...I have only had 6 trips so far this year
Sorry - that's not at all what I meant. I think I said many of the WDW regulars, meaning more than just me. I really didn't mean to imply you are not a regular.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #1065
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie86 View Post
Mousemommy, I like the marina view unless I'm in the lodge tower rooms, now called deluxe. You can see Wishes from your balcony in some of the marina view rooms, but not all of them. You can't see the castle, but have a great view of Wishes since they are behind the castle. I liked the courtyard view much better before the pool renovations. Never noticed any noise from the pool area when in the room, not even when there was a wedding out there and very crowded one night.

BlueSkies, The YC and BWI both had triple sheeting and no duvet. The only way you could tell that you got turndown was the chocolates (YC) or taffy (BWI) on the pillow. If they do that at the Grand, and it looks like they will, you better take extra warm pj's, and maybe even a down parka. There is a blanket in between the sheets, but it wasn't very warm. I loved the Alice bedspreads, but I do not like the ones they have now...too heavy and stiff.

Have a great trip. Looking forward to your review when you get back.

Thanks Roomie! I am not positive..but I think that our room in BWI this past winter had a duvet...LOL..but you might remember better that I do??

Thanks for posting all of those pretty room pics..just cant get enough Disney pics!

k&a&c'smom, Thanks for posting the link to the VGF pics. It does look very pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
It seems odd to me that RPC people cannot visit the SL lounge....not that many of them would, tho! The RPC lounge is just too much of a draw!

I too feel that not using duvets, even with the triple-sheeting, may not be to my liking...and LOL on the suggestion to bring a parka, Maxie! I think I remember those stiff comforters from last time...
You will be seeing for yourself very soon! WooHoo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
I checked in today at 3 with Mama and Daddy! We're in big pine on the fourth floor and overlooking the big pool and all the beauty of the buildings. They put Mama and Daddy in a room right next to the elevator. I'm hoping they can't hear it! My bedspread, which I was prepared to hate was just a beautiful white thick patterned sheet over a blanket and top sheet. There's a plain blue spread across the bottom of the bed.

I had brought excellent organic Sumatra coffee grounds to use with our pot but the pot is now a two cuisinart mug system that uses round pods. Joffry's coffee so that should be nice. We ate at the cafe then stolled the stores. When we checked in, magic bands were down. I wonder if that was everywhere.....like fast pass reservations? They're working now. And I have a nice tall refrigerator! We got a gallon of spring water.

A CM here gave us a fourth fast pass for tomorrow so we're all set!
Glad that you are all settled in...Have a GRAND vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton View Post
oh, goodness, if they end up with the same set up that BC has, we were FREEZING. it was as k&a&c'smom described... a sheet, then two sheets on either side of a thin blanket. we had 5 nights there and could not get warm and it was AUGUST! we ended up getting extra blankets and that helped a bit. anyway, yuck, if they get the same as BC, i will be SO disappointed in the bedding, it is inadequate for a moderate and a disgrace for a deluxe.
Lets hope for the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
The blue throw is just a splash of color. A pretend throw actually.
Well at least they chose a nice color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Good morning friends! Hi Blue I'm trying to catch up on my reading. Lots going on here on this thread.

I personally like a bedspread. I have one on my bed at home and liked the ones at the GF. I could always pull it up on my half of the bed if it got too cold. DH is a furnace and kicks off the covers. I know that the spreads are changed when you check out. I loved the Alice themed spreads. They were there the first time we went to the GF.

Permits have been filed for room renovations? That sounds like more than just a soft refurb. Can't wait to find out what that's all about.

Bye for now.
Hey MommyGina Good to "see" you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Good Morning GF Lovers!

So, I know that the recent Courtyard Refurb resulted in the deepest portion being 4 1/2 feet now. But, how deep is the Beach pool?

Thanks!
Beach pool is about the same depth 4 1/2 feet as the refurbed courtyard pool...or there abouts..Such a nice pool for kiddies ..the slide and the water fall..well water trickle these days..LOL.. I am sure that you and your family will enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiew View Post
is it just me or does anyone else hate the latest decor of the GF? It is so dark and gloomy it looks like a 1930's funeral home. where are the soft salmons, blues and greens? I was shocked and very disappointed. Saw some pix of the suites and they are 'dumbed' down too - no mutiple pillows on beds, upholstery dark YUK! Even the lobby with the dark rug and the palm trees. I am going to cry! I see in Conde Nast where even the Wilderness Lodge beat the GF for best resorts - and by a lot. The GS people need new uniforms too. The present sage green and OLD and ill fitting on everyone. Even V&A's had poor fitting uniforms on the servers. Someone had better get on the ball!
Sorry ppiew But I think that the lobby looks as bright and airy as ever..and that the new carpets and some darker fabrics give it a nice warmth...I do agree about those soft salmons blues and greens tho..very pretty...and some of those colors can still be found in the lobby tiles of the outer lodges..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Spaz View Post

HOw great...Enjoy your first stay at your new home away from home!! I'll be heading to the GF this week too! Cant wait..Hope you will come back and tell us about your stay!

Quote:
Posting at the same time - where is BlueSkies?! I expect her to have a post any minute now.

Thanks for those photos - the YC top sheet looks exactly like the woven pattern I saw on the Poly beds...I think! I'll have to go look again. ETA: Nope, I was wrong, they look like the plain ones in the BWI photos.

Those PBH beds are incredible, we had a hard time getting out of them. At the end of the day, when DD, her BFF and I got into bed, we would argue about who was getting up to make sure the door was locked, etc. The pix of the (possible) new Four Seasons rooms look very similar, to me.
Hi again! I am LOLing at arguing about who was going to get out of the comfy beds to check on the door lock...

Did you notice that I was usuing multicolors in my multi quote..Thanks for the idea!

OMG...I had a big looong post that went poof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to come back later and re respond!!!???

BTW..k&a&c Here I am... I started to compose my post around noon.. then had way too many interruptions...LOL...so technically s we were posting at the same time..yet again!

Hi MickeyNut

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans had a Magical Monday!

Last edited by BlueSkies; 10-21-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: