Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #1036
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

oh, goodness, if they end up with the same set up that BC has, we were FREEZING. it was as k&a&c'smom described... a sheet, then two sheets on either side of a thin blanket. we had 5 nights there and could not get warm and it was AUGUST! we ended up getting extra blankets and that helped a bit. anyway, yuck, if they get the same as BC, i will be SO disappointed in the bedding, it is inadequate for a moderate and a disgrace for a deluxe.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #1037
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

The blue throw is just a splash of color. A pretend throw actually.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #1038
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton View Post
oh, goodness, if they end up with the same set up that BC has, we were FREEZING. it was as k&a&c'smom described... a sheet, then two sheets on either side of a thin blanket. we had 5 nights there and could not get warm and it was AUGUST! we ended up getting extra blankets and that helped a bit. anyway, yuck, if they get the same as BC, i will be SO disappointed in the bedding, it is inadequate for a moderate and a disgrace for a deluxe.
I always sleep with some type of blanket, so this will really be an adjustment for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
That's not good.....at least not for me .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #1039
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

This "pretend throw" thing seems to be a trend these days....I believe they had them at the YC on our visit last April. We've even had them at Marriotts. In that situation, I also had to ask for a blanket (and it was in July)!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #1040
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Well since we stay at BLT often I have experience with cold nights due to sleeper sofa not having a comforter either.
1. I bring my Vera Bradley stadium blanket with me for extra warmth.

2. When I left Mco in April at 6am it was so cold I spent $20 on a thin fleece blanket for dd and I for that day for travel home. I did bring it with me for the next few trips and even though thin it does help to keep warmth in and is so thin fits in suitcase fine.

3. Between DTD, the resorts and the parks there will be Pwp to get a throw. I have purchased them and used it on my trip then repackage it and take home as a souvenir.

After reading this I am definitely bringing my stadium vera. Dh keeps room COLD

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17
Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #1041
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Good morning friends! Hi Blue I'm trying to catch up on my reading. Lots going on here on this thread.

I personally like a bedspread. I have one on my bed at home and liked the ones at the GF. I could always pull it up on my half of the bed if it got too cold. DH is a furnace and kicks off the covers. I know that the spreads are changed when you check out. I loved the Alice themed spreads. They were there the first time we went to the GF.

Permits have been filed for room renovations? That sounds like more than just a soft refurb. Can't wait to find out what that's all about.

Bye for now.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #1042
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Good Morning GF Lovers!

So, I know that the recent Courtyard Refurb resulted in the deepest portion being 4 1/2 feet now. But, how deep is the Beach pool?

Thanks!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #1043
marie8461
Earning My Ears

A Couple of Questions

It has been awhile (2005) since I have stayed at the GF and I had a couple of questions:
  1. Do they still provide turn-down service?
  2. What about those wonderful robes?
  3. I know the room has a hair dryer, but I was wondering if an extra hair dryer would be something we could request. Hate the thought of packing one, but there will be two females getting ready and it may save time to have an extra.

This is a great thread. Many thanks to all you GF experts for the great information and advice!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #1044
Maxie86
DIS Veteran

Mousemommy, There is only a very small area of the courtyard pool that is over 4 feet deep...not enough room to swim. It's just in that little bump out area. Most of the pool is under 3 feet deep. Never been in the beach pool so can't answer how deep it is.

grannyminnie, Yes you are remembering correctly...the YC only has a thin blanket between two sheets. I had to turn the AC way up so I would be warm enough...same thing at the BWI in September. I checked my pics and the Hyatt didn't have a bedspread either, looks like all hotels are doing away with bedspreads and comforters.

RPC peeps mostly used the SL lounge to grab snacks and or drinks while at the pool...very convenient.

trishadono, You may be on to something. Disney found another way to separate us from our money...buy a throw to keep warm at night.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #1045
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton View Post
Another resort with only triple sheeting! (By my count, we now have Y&BC, BWI and GF) Did you mention to CMs that you felt the bedding inadequate? I will be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
Just as I suspected - the useless bed scarf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I always sleep with some type of blanket, so this will really be an adjustment for me .

That's not good.....at least not for me .
Me, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
This "pretend throw" thing seems to be a trend these days....I believe they had them at the YC on our visit last April. We've even had them at Marriotts. In that situation, I also had to ask for a blanket (and it was in July)!
I know, this is what I meant by "don't get me started on the bed scarf" in an earlier post. They have no purpose, you can't use them to cover up - silly. All the resorts that have recently switched to duvets (Y&BC, BWI, CR) had them. I detest them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
Well since we stay at BLT often I have experience with cold nights due to sleeper sofa not having a comforter either.
1. I bring my Vera Bradley stadium blanket with me for extra warmth.

2. When I left Mco in April at 6am it was so cold I spent $20 on a thin fleece blanket for dd and I for that day for travel home. I did bring it with me for the next few trips and even though thin it does help to keep warmth in and is so thin fits in suitcase fine.

3. Between DTD, the resorts and the parks there will be Pwp to get a throw. I have purchased them and used it on my trip then repackage it and take home as a souvenir.

After reading this I am definitely bringing my stadium vera. Dh keeps room COLD
Great tip, but I don't feel I should have to bring my own blankets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Good morning friends! Hi Blue I'm trying to catch up on my reading. Lots going on here on this thread.

I personally like a bedspread. I have one on my bed at home and liked the ones at the GF. I could always pull it up on my half of the bed if it got too cold. DH is a furnace and kicks off the covers. I know that the spreads are changed when you check out. I loved the Alice themed spreads. They were there the first time we went to the GF.

Permits have been filed for room renovations? That sounds like more than just a soft refurb. Can't wait to find out what that's all about.

Bye for now.
I liked the bedspreads, too. Some more than others - lookin' at you, Poly bedspread with weird colors! hahaha - but it's not something I've been hoping would go away at WDW, like most DISers. Duvets are fine if they want to cut down on laundry, but I would prefer they use a whimsical, Disney-themed cover. Not a white one.

From what I can tell, permits are filed for all the room refurbs, no matter the scope. Heck, permits are filed at Disney when they just change an outlet! Some permits get filed, then expire with nothing done at all. They filed room rehab permits for BCV back in May, and so far, they only seem to be testing new carpet - but I read they plan a room refurb in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Good Morning GF Lovers!

So, I know that the recent Courtyard Refurb resulted in the deepest portion being 4 1/2 feet now. But, how deep is the Beach pool?

Thanks!
Most of the deep end is about neck deep on me, and I'm 5'3"! Not very deep. (most of it under 5 ft., except one small area around the slide exit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8461 View Post
It has been awhile (2005) since I have stayed at the GF and I had a couple of questions:
  1. Do they still provide turn-down service?
  2. What about those wonderful robes?
  3. I know the room has a hair dryer, but I was wondering if an extra hair dryer would be something we could request. Hate the thought of packing one, but there will be two females getting ready and it may save time to have an extra.

This is a great thread. Many thanks to all you GF experts for the great information and advice!
1. They do provide turn down service, but if we end up with only triple sheeting, as has been described, it won't be necessary.

2. Still have robes in the closet, usually two - you can ask for more, if you need them, call housekeeping.

3. You can call housekeeping, they will have almost anything you need. An extra hair dryer shouldn't be an issue at all.

HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie86 View Post
Mousemommy, There is only a very small area of the courtyard pool that is over 4 feet deep...not enough room to swim. It's just in that little bump out area. Most of the pool is under 3 feet deep. Never been in the beach pool so can't answer how deep it is.

grannyminnie, Yes you are remembering correctly...the YC only has a thin blanket between two sheets. I had to turn the AC way up so I would be warm enough...same thing at the BWI in September. I checked my pics and the Hyatt didn't have a bedspread either, looks like all hotels are doing away with bedspreads and comforters.

RPC peeps mostly used the SL lounge to grab snacks and or drinks while at the pool...very convenient.

trishadono, You may be on to something. Disney found another way to separate us from our money...buy a throw to keep warm at night.
LOL about separating us from more of our money! Maybe they'll be selling the old bedspreads in the gift shop.

Thanks for the pool photo. I so miss the deep end.

I wonder when YC switched? When we were there last August (2012, not 2013) they still had the white duvets, so did BC (BC's were a cream color, which I liked a lot better). I can't imagine what they are thinking, nor can I imagine guests aren't complaining! Who expects to get a half-made bed in their hotel room? Our rooms in the newly-renovated PBH rooms in April (see photo) were heavenly, we said it was like climbing into a cloud at the end of the day. I was even OK with it being white!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 10-21-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #1046
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Another resort with only triple sheeting! (By my count, we now have Y&BC, BWI and GF) Did you mention to CMs that you felt the bedding inadequate? I will be!

Just as I suspected - the useless bed scarf.

Me, either.

I know, this is what I meant by "don't get me started on the bed scarf" in an earlier post. They have no purpose, you can't use them to cover up - silly. All the resorts that have recently switched to duvets (Y&BC, BWI, CR) had them. I detest them.

Great tip, but I don't feel I should have to bring my own blankets!

I liked the bedspreads, too. Some more than others - lookin' at you, Poly bedspread with weird colors! hahaha - but it's not something I've been hoping would go away at WDW, like most DISers. Duvets are fine if they want to cut down on laundry, but I would prefer they use a whimsical, Disney-themed cover. Not a white one.

From what I can tell, permits are filed for all the room refurbs, no matter the scope. Heck, permits are filed at Disney when they just change an outlet! Some permits get filed, then expire with nothing done at all. They filed room rehab permits for BCV back in May, and so far, they only seem to be testing new carpet - but I read they plan a room refurb in 2014.

Most of the deep end is about neck deep on me, and I'm 5'3"! Not very deep. (most of it under 5 ft., except one small area around the slide exit)

1. They do provide turn down service, but if we end up with only triple sheeting, as has been described, it won't be necessary.

2. Still have robes in the closet, usually two - you can ask for more, if you need them, call housekeeping.

3. You can call housekeeping, they will have almost anything you need. An extra hair dryer shouldn't be an issue at all.

HTH!

LOL about separating us from more of our money! Maybe they'll be selling the old bedspreads in the gift shop.

Thanks for the pool photo. I so miss the deep end.

I wonder when YC switched? When we were there last August (2012, not 2013) they still had the white duvets, so did BC (BC's were a cream color, which I liked a lot better). I can't imagine what they are thinking, nor can I imagine guests aren't complaining! Who expects to get a half-made bed in their hotel room? Our rooms in the newly-renovated PBH rooms in April (see photo) were heavenly, we said it was like climbing into a cloud at the end of the day. I was even OK with it being white!

I am only 5'2" As long as I can dip down and submerge myself, I'm good to go. It will be nice for my littlest little, who at almost 7 years old is only 45" tall.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #1047
ppiew
DIS Veteran

is it just me or does anyone else hate the latest decor of the GF? It is so dark and gloomy it looks like a 1930's funeral home. where are the soft salmons, blues and greens? I was shocked and very disappointed. Saw some pix of the suites and they are 'dumbed' down too - no mutiple pillows on beds, upholstery dark YUK! Even the lobby with the dark rug and the palm trees. I am going to cry! I see in Conde Nast where even the Wilderness Lodge beat the GF for best resorts - and by a lot. The GS people need new uniforms too. The present sage green and OLD and ill fitting on everyone. Even V&A's had poor fitting uniforms on the servers. Someone had better get on the ball!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #1048
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

not only Disney, but many hotels I have been to lately are going to the "useless scarf".

I started seeing it in 2008..and now, I have been to 5 hotels since July and they are all going to that white duvet with useless scarf...
Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #1049
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

ppiew - we do not find the decor of the Grand to be dark at all - just the opposite, in fact!

I recently toured a few of the suites, and they were not dark, either. Beautiful colors and fabrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
not only Disney, but many hotels I have been to lately are going to the "useless scarf".

I started seeing it in 2008..and now, I have been to 5 hotels since July and they are all going to that white duvet with useless scarf...
I know, I've been saying in the last few years the Disney resort rooms were changing to the point they could be any Hampton Inn we travel through on the road.

We were in a Loews hotel in DC earlier this year, and though they did have a white duvet and colored throw, their throw was at least functional. We used it to cover up for a mid-day nap.

I thought my least-liked option was the white duvet with bed scarf; now, I know better! It is the removal of said duvet, to be replaced with...nothing.

Reading posts of DISers who have photos of the new bedding, it seems some of them think this is still a duvet. So, if the guests don't even know they are getting only triple sheeting without a bed cover, I guess it will probably remain. Not what I want to spend Disney deluxe prices for, but maybe I'm in the minority.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #1050
ppiew
DIS Veteran

Last fall we we spent $800+ for a concierge room at the GF and had cotton/polyester sheets (ugh) dark carpet frankly it wasn't very classy looking. I would think for that price they would be making beds with Frette or Pratesi even the Disney Cruise Lines do. Tlkd to a CM and she said they had been getting many complaints about it - especially the missing flower decor in the main lobby!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: