Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #991
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
Weird.. We never provide a survey for a NOC.. A NOC is just a court recording that work is being done so people who work under that notice can legally notify the owner they are entitled to payment.

PCL is a large construction company in Florida.. They do schools, hotels..so they must be plaiting something large..not just carpet or paint. More structural
I was simply going by the wording in the permit:

"...in accordance with FL statutes...the following information is provided..."

1. Description of property (legal description of the property and street address, if available)
See attached legal description
"

I'm not saying you are wrong, I have no idea, that is what I assumed by the wording. It could be they intend to rearrange structural elements of the closet, dressing area, etc. but the YC, BWI and CSR permits are the same - adding a legal description. I assumed that meant all FL permits had to add it, but maybe they are doing structural work, too. If so, yikes! All those resorts in major rehab mode!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
You're welcome....they are great pics . My DH really isn't into splits as he likes to "settle" in once we get there. Yeah, there's something about the MK area that gets me too.

I didn't see permits for those other resorts. Is there a different link for those?? It is strange that there are permits for the YC and not BC as it has been mentioned that refurbs are supposed to begin at the BC soon, starting with the CL lounge/floor...with the YC getting refurbs once the BC is done. And I didn't think BWI was done that long ago .

From what I've been reading here on the boards, the BC lounge is supposed to be a total refurb with an expansion .
My DD agrees with your DH - she is over the whole split stay thing and prefers to just move in until the end of the trip.

I didn't give the links for the others, they are separate listings. Here is the YC, BWI and CSR permits.

Interesting about the BC lounge. They do need an expansion - I wonder if that is what they are doing with the YC lounge? ETA: Y&BC rooms were refurbed around the same time as the BWI rooms, so I'm surprised they plan another one already. GF is just now getting their refurb while the Epcot resorts are planning a second one! lol
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 10-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #992
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Yeah, and it wasn't that long ago for Y&BC! Same time as the BWI refurb, or close to it. I wonder why YC & BWI are already doing another room renovation? As you say, maybe it is a less extensive rehab, new carpeting or something?

I noticed the permit for BWI says the expiration is 9/27/2014 - but the YC permit says its expiration is 9/27/2013! Kind of hard to do when you sign it on 10/17/2013!

ETA: DisneyDmbNut, here is the link.
Too funny.....I noticed the same thing on the YC permit. Did you see on the CSR permit on the box noting the Filing Area and Project Name....the date says 08/15/08 ....What???? All of the other permits have dates from last week...10/15/13 I think. Very strange. I wish there was more info on exactly what was happening in the rooms but, oh well. At least it is off the rumor chain and into the watch mode to see when it will actually start

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #993
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
PCL is a large construction company in Florida.. They do schools, hotels..so they must be plaiting something large..not just carpet or paint. More structural
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. What do you know about the other two contractors? Mulligan is listed under the CSR and BWI permits and Wilsten Group under YC permit.

The last refurb for CSR was so extensive, I would guess that theirs is just a soft rehab. Did BWI and YC keep the same furniture in their last rehab? And GF--weren't some furniture items replaced while others stayed the same in their last refurb?

I may be in the minority here but I am crossing my fingers that the wallpaper and the bedspreads in the GF rooms go away with this refurb. I would love to see a more upscale look closer to the VGF style....which is BEAUTIFUL Would also like to see different furniture. I just don't think the current furniture finishes look Victorian. It looks like 1980s country without the little hearts or quilts adorning the soft goods. I preferred the soft goods from the previous d้cor over the current. I wish the feel and grandeur of the lobby and grounds could carryover into the guest rooms....sigh.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #994
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Too funny.....I noticed the same thing on the YC permit. Did you see on the CSR permit on the box noting the Filing Area and Project Name....the date says 08/15/08 ....What???? All of the other permits have dates from last week...10/15/13 I think. Very strange. I wish there was more info on exactly what was happening in the rooms but, oh well. At least it is off the rumor chain and into the watch mode to see when it will actually start
I missed that, I was less interested in CSR so I didn't look at it as closely as the others. I, too, wish we had more details.

Quote:
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. What do you know about the other two contractors? Mulligan is listed under the CSR and BWI permits and Wilsten Group under YC permit.

The last refurb for CSR was so extensive, I would guess that theirs is just a soft rehab. Did BWI and YC keep the same furniture in their last rehab? And GF--weren't some furniture items replaced while others stayed the same in their last refurb?

I may be in the minority here but I am crossing my fingers that the wallpaper and the bedspreads in the GF rooms go away with this refurb. I would love to see a more upscale look closer to the VGF style....which is BEAUTIFUL Would also like to see different furniture. I just don't think the current furniture finishes look Victorian. It looks like 1980s country without the little hearts or quilts adorning the soft goods. I preferred the soft goods from the previous d้cor over the current. I wish the feel and grandeur of the lobby and grounds could carryover into the guest rooms....sigh.
Y&BC kept the same furniture, but BWI swapped theirs out for darker tones, I think. At the Grand, they kept the beds but got different dressers.

I love the wallpaper, but the stuff in the dressing area and bath will probably go this time around. You are not in the minority on bedspreads, I am! I don't care for these bedspreads, but am not a fan of the ubiquitous white duvet, and don't get me started on the "bed scarf"!

I felt the beds were in keeping with a Victorian theme with the pineapple finials, as Victorians loved using fruits, birds, etc. Maybe not the lighter finish, but even that is possible, as Victorian bedrooms were lighter color schemes than their public rooms. I'm no expert, though, so you could be right.

I wouldn't mind if the rooms reflected the feel of the lobby, but the trend to make all the Disney rooms look like a generic mid-level hotel makes me sad. White duvets with a colored bed scarf - I see it in every Hampton or Holiday Inn we stop in on the road.~sigh~

Again, I'm in the minority.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #995
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I too am a big fan of the VGF style, but I have to say that I like the "fussy" blue Alice in Wonderland themed decor prior to the current decor a lot better than the current. The Alice theme was very go big or go home.

The current decor is just so meh to me, which is why it has been hard to embrace GF, but I am eager to see what they do with it!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #996
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I too am a big fan of the VGF style, but I have to say that I like the "fussy" blue Alice in Wonderland themed decor prior to the current decor a lot better than the current. The Alice theme was very go big or go home.

The current decor is just so meh to me, which is why it has been hard to embrace GF, but I am eager to see what they do with it!
"Go big or go home"! True.

We LOVED the old decor, especially the Alice theme but also the Floral and Cameo. Swan was not my fave, a little too much blue. After they switched to the current decor, I liked the bench and desk chair, along with the drapes and tone-on-tone bedroom wallpaper, but the bedspread seemed more like the old, flowery nylon spreads from when I was a kid! lol When you look at the GF spreads up close, the material is much nicer than the ones from my youth, but still...not my cup of tea. Oh, and I HATE the bedskirt, what's up with that?
Old 10-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #997
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I love the wallpaper, but the stuff in the dressing area and bath will probably go this time around. You are not in the minority on bedspreads, I am! I don't care for these bedspreads, but am not a fan of the ubiquitous white duvet, and don't get me started on the "bed scarf"!

I felt the beds were in keeping with a Victorian theme with the pineapple finials, as Victorians loved using fruits, birds, etc. Maybe not the lighter finish, but even that is possible, as Victorian bedrooms were lighter color schemes than their public rooms. I'm no expert, though, so you could be right.

I wouldn't mind if the rooms reflected the feel of the lobby, but the trend to make all the Disney rooms look like a generic mid-level hotel makes me sad. White duvets with a colored bed scarf - I see it in every Hampton or Holiday Inn we stop in on the road.~sigh~

I think the beds are somewhat keeping in the Victorian style, I agree. it is the dresser, the upholstered chair, and the daybed style that just makes me shake my head. They look so out of place. I mean, I get it that they can't go too ornate given the wear-n-tear but these pieces to me are just yuck They could easily make the upholstered chair better with a different back shape, some tufting and a little carved wood. The dresser seems like a simple shaker box style with a few inset carved details. I am hoping that they pay more attention to detail like they did with the rehabs of POR and POFQ. I feel like those rooms reflect the theming of the whole resort so much more.

Quote:
"Go big or go home"! True.

We LOVED the old decor, especially the Alice theme but also the Floral and Cameo. Swan was not my fave, a little too much blue. After they switched to the current decor, I liked the bench and desk chair, along with the drapes and tone-on-tone bedroom wallpaper, but the bedspread seemed more like the old, flowery nylon spreads from when I was a kid! lol When you look at the GF spreads up close, the material is much nicer than the ones from my youth, but still...not my cup of tea. Oh, and I HATE the bedskirt, what's up with that?
I am not sure which theme it was but I liked the rooms with the yellow bedspreads with the blue cameos and pretty patterned pillows? I think it would be nice to give the GF an upscale Alice in Wonderland theme to marry whimsical and Victorian.....which is what the lobby feels to me. The new tiles with characters scattered among the beautiful flowers and ornate details is just amazing.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #998
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post

The model room pics for VGF are just stunning. They captured the Victorian feel while bringing it forward with modern tastes. I kinda hope the new GF rooms have some of that feel but with a little more whimsy added in. While the VGF are fabulous, I would like the hotel rooms to have more Disney details. A sprinkling of tea pots, some rabbits, a few castle silhouettes..... I think it is very nice the way they added the new animal tiles in the WL showers with their last remodel. Would be great to see something similar at GF in the Alice theme.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #999
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think the beds are somewhat keeping in the Victorian style, I agree. it is the dresser, the upholstered chair, and the daybed style that just makes me shake my head. They look so out of place. I mean, I get it that they can't go too ornate given the wear-n-tear but these pieces to me are just yuck They could easily make the upholstered chair better with a different back shape, some tufting and a little carved wood. The dresser seems like a simple shaker box style with a few inset carved details. I am hoping that they pay more attention to detail like they did with the rehabs of POR and POFQ. I feel like those rooms reflect the theming of the whole resort so much more.
I agree, the chair and ottoman - not so much. Doesn't it look like someone had an old chair they decided to cover on their own? With the slapdash folding on the edges?

I didn't like the daybed material, until I saw it in person. The detail in the material is very nice, I especially like the little green flecks that reflect the desk chair/bench colors - which have flecks of burgundy, so it all ties together. That's what I hate so much about the bedskirt, not only is it utilitarian, but the colors are completely off (that, and the roll pillow that matches it, ugh).

I like the dresser and desk, but you are probably right, a different style would tie the whole thing together.

My long time DIS friends will laugh, as it is easy to sidetrack me with room details! (BCV23 and johnsonet, I'm looking at you! lol)

Quote:
I am not sure which theme it was but I liked the rooms with the yellow bedspreads with the blue cameos and pretty patterned pillows? I think it would be nice to give the GF an upscale Alice in Wonderland theme to marry whimsical and Victorian.....which is what the lobby feels to me. The new tiles with characters scattered among the beautiful flowers and ornate details is just amazing.
I think you are referring to the Cameo theme, that was one of my favorites as well. So pretty.

YES! An Alice theme would be awesome! I'm not holding out much hope, but I can dream.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #1000
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The model room pics for VGF are just stunning. They captured the Victorian feel while bringing it forward with modern tastes. I kinda hope the new GF rooms have some of that feel but with a little more whimsy added in. While the VGF are fabulous, I would like the hotel rooms to have more Disney details. A sprinkling of tea pots, some rabbits, a few castle silhouettes..... I think it is very nice the way they added the new animal tiles in the WL showers with their last remodel. Would be great to see something similar at GF in the Alice theme.
Sounds perfect!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #1001
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:

I haven't heard of those two. we are in the palm beach area and we have bid on Disney work years ago, but we can't complete with the PCL's and Turner's ..
It could be it was easier to use the survey then trying to put all those legal details on that tiny form line.. You need book, page.. Blah blah.. The Town of Palm beach where we build homes is very picky about legal descriptions.
Still, pulling permits means more than just paint or cosmetics.. And a NOC is good for one year unless you add a completion date.

I hope GF goes to the white duvets with color runner like some of the other rooms are. It seems classy, clean and easy to launder.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #1002
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DD agrees with your DH - she is over the whole split stay thing and prefers to just move in until the end of the trip.

I didn't give the links for the others, they are separate listings. Here is the YC, BWI and CSR permits.

Interesting about the BC lounge. They do need an expansion - I wonder if that is what they are doing with the YC lounge? ETA: Y&BC rooms were refurbed around the same time as the BWI rooms, so I'm surprised they plan another one already. GF is just now getting their refurb while the Epcot resorts are planning a second one! lol
It is easier to check in and not pack/move until it's time to go home, but trying new resorts is always fun . We will get to do that next December before and after our cruise, but I think that will be the only time my DH will go for it (especially since he has no other choice since we will arrive prior to the day we sail and stay a few days after ).

Thanks for the other links ....I thought I was missing something when I didn't see other resorts.

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly is in the works for BC/YC . We've stayed at the BC, but not CL, and it seems that a lot of people report the lounge is pretty small .

Quote:
I may be in the minority here but I am crossing my fingers that the wallpaper and the bedspreads in the GF rooms go away with this refurb. I would love to see a more upscale look closer to the VGF style....which is BEAUTIFUL
My guess is that the bed spreads will go and will be replaced with the duvets. I also LOVE the VGF decor, it's a very pretty/upscale decor, IMO .

Quote:

I agree about not liking the rooms being redone in a generic-like decor. That's how I feel about the Poly. I am in the minority that I loved the old Poly decor and while it's great that the Poly got a total refurb, I feel that Disney took out the "Polynesian" feel (my opinion only). I can't wait to stay at the Poly again with the new rooms and I think the new rooms look crisp and clean, but it really got toned down (IMO) and I will miss the dark tones/colors.

Quote:
I agree . As I stated above, I think Disney changed the Poly too much and I wish they kept more of the darker browns, etc., so with the GF, I too hope they kind of follow the VGF decor, but with more Disney touches .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #1003
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hope GF goes to the white duvets with color runner like some of the other rooms are. It seems classy, clean and easy to launder.
I'm sure the laundry issue is a big reason they are switching out to the duvets. So many people are wigged out about the spreads, many seem to call and ask for a new one. Much easier to bring up a clean duvet cover, I'm sure. Our first trip to BC after the switch, we were discussing that very issue with the mousekeeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
It is easier to check in and not pack/move until it's time to go home, but trying new resorts is always fun . We will get to do that next December before and after our cruise, but I think that will be the only time my DH will go for it (especially since he has no other choice since we will arrive prior to the day we sail and stay a few days after ).

Thanks for the other links ....I thought I was missing something when I didn't see other resorts.

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly is in the works for BC/YC . We've stayed at the BC, but not CL, and it seems that a lot of people report the lounge is pretty small .

My guess is that the bed spreads will go and will be replaced with the duvets. I also LOVE the VGF decor, it's a very pretty/upscale decor, IMO .

I agree about not liking the rooms being redone in a generic-like decor. That's how I feel about the Poly. I am in the minority that I loved the old Poly decor and while it's great that the Poly got a total refurb, I feel that Disney took out the "Polynesian" feel (my opinion only). I can't wait to stay at the Poly again with the new rooms and I think the new rooms look crisp and clean, but it really got toned down (IMO) and I will miss the dark tones/colors.

I agree . As I stated above, I think Disney changed the Poly too much and I wish they kept more of the darker browns, etc., so with the GF, I too hope they kind of follow the VGF decor, but with more Disney touches .
LOL about the cruise making it a necessity to split your stay!

We've stayed at YC CL, but not in BC CL - just garden view rooms. I'm mostly going by photos and reports of fellow DISers, but it certainly seems they could use an expansion in the lounge. I noticed a permit from back in May for the BCV, did they rehab the villas already? Or is that still in progress?

I know what you mean about the Poly losing its Polynesian feel. I'm not a huge fan of the new look, either. I didn't like the spreads from the previous decor (you notice a theme? hahaha) but we loved the patterns on the pillows, the chair, etc. The new beds and daybed do not look very comfy - they seem as though they are simply wrapped with sheets? Maybe the photos I've seen are just the model room. ?? I really dislike the new bathrooms, sorry to say.

I'm bummed about the rumor they will be removing the water feature in the GCH!! Then it really will feel like they have changed the whole resort.~sigh~

I, too, hope for something more Disney-esque at the Grand, but with the current trend, it doesn't seem likely.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #1004
tamj
Earning My Ears

Hey Grand Friends!

It's been a year since our last Grand trip, and GRAND it was in every way. While I'm not going back with any delusions of grandeur, I do want to go back.
Here's the thing, last year so much was closed at the resort when we went, no biggie. But this year with the DVC just opening, I'm worried it will be much more crowded all around the resort.
Do you think this is going to be the case? We're hoping to book Dec 1st-5th.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #1005
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
When we were there in July the kids games were at the courtyard pool.

HTH
In August too!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: