Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #691
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigs3 View Post
So glad I found this thread! I'm taking my daughter to Orlando later this month for a college visit to UCF, and I decided to make a reservation at the Grand Floridian while we are down there. We have never been to GF before, but it has always been my fantasy. My daughter was critically ill this past spring and diagnosed with a very serious condition. I decided that life was too short, and the next thing I knew I was booking this trip! We received our magic bands last week, have our fast pass+ reservations all made and somehow even were able to get BOG reservations. Everything has just fallen into place, and the only thing left is to get through the next 22 days until we hit the road on our awesome mother daughter trip! Thanks for all of the great information on the thread!
how exciting! you're absolutely right, life is too short, you guys will have a wonderful trip.

since you're new to the thread, i have some youtube videos of the grand floridian as well as some photos on flickr from my last trip in august, i think they are linked on the first page of the thread.

please give us a recap after your trip!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #692
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamofPoly View Post
Here at GF now. Having a grand time!! The new splash pad had been closed since yesterday for "maintenance". Hoping it will open back up before we leave on Saturday!
Glad that you are having a GRAND time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Momof2 View Post
BlueSkies,
Thank you so much! I actually have decided on the CR for this trip. For all the reasons you and several others suggested! I booked TPV today!~ So excited!
You are very welcome! The TPV from the CR is just the best!

Quote:
So glad I found this thread! I'm taking my daughter to Orlando later this month for a college visit to UCF, and I decided to make a reservation at the Grand Floridian while we are down there. We have never been to GF before, but it has always been my fantasy. My daughter was critically ill this past spring and diagnosed with a very serious condition. I decided that life was too short, and the next thing I knew I was booking this trip! We received our magic bands last week, have our fast pass+ reservations all made and somehow even were able to get BOG reservations. Everything has just fallen into place, and the only thing left is to get through the next 22 days until we hit the road on our awesome mother daughter trip! Thanks for all of the great information on the thread!
Hope that your DD is doing well... Mother daughter trips are the best! Enjoy your time at the GF!

mickeynut I read mixed reviews on the MBs..I chose a pretty bright green! Maybe I will plan some outfits color coordinate with it!! LOL.. ...

Hey grannieminnie MommyGina BethClayton Trishadono k&a&c'smom mariamouse and all the rest of my fellow GF fans! Hope that you are having a wonderful Wednesday!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #693
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
I "heart" mom and me trips!

You girls will have a blast
Agreed! I'm 24 and have taken multiple trips with just my mom over the years- including one at the Grand over the holidays a couple years back! I will forever cherish those Disney memories with my mom. She is truly the best. I am sure your daughter will feel the same way. I hope she feels better soon and that you both have a fantastic time at a fantastic resort!
YC GV- January 2015, GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 10-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #694
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Glad that you are having a GRAND time!!

You are very welcome! The TPV from the CR is just the best!

Hope that your DD is doing well... Mother daughter trips are the best! Enjoy your time at the GF!

mickeynut I read mixed reviews on the MBs..I chose a pretty bright green! Maybe I will plan some outfits color coordinate with it!! LOL.. ...

Hey grannieminnie MommyGina BethClayton Trishadono k&a&c'smom mariamouse and all the rest of my fellow GF fans! Hope that you are having a wonderful Wednesday!
Fabulous day here, Blue!! Wish we could bottle this weather and pull it out when needed...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #695
quigs3
Winds in the east, mist comin' in, like somethin' is brewin', about to begin!

Thanks so much everyone for the good thoughts and kind words. My daughter and I are very close. In fact, she calls me her best friend. We are both going crazy waiting for the trip to get here, and it's all we seem to talk about these days. I'm so excited about the trip that I can hardly focus on work. I'm ashamed to admit that on more than one occasion, I've poked around on the boards and worked on the trip plans during office hours. Sometimes I forget that the real reason we are heading to FL is for a college visit. I don't know what I'm going to do if she does decide to go to UCF next year. I have a son at FSU, and now my daughter at UCF! There definitely won't be much reason for me to keep living 1,000 miles away in Illinois. The next trip I may be planning is a permanent move to be closer to my kids!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #696
jillmc40
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for the comments on where to eat! Good thing I have lots of time to decide . I'm sure we will try both at some point. Maybe I will let dh decide based on the menu. Make him think he has some control - hehe!

This time last year dd and I were just about to leave for our mommy and me trip at the gf. Sigh. I wish we could do that every year.

If both of my kids moved to Florida when they got older I would be packed before them

Old 10-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #697
cgulls
Mouseketeer

room type

Does Outer Building Club Level differentiate between "Pool View" and "Lagoon View"? Using the newly released Disney Visa discounts, we upgraded our Garden View to "Outer Building Club Level, Standard Room" and ended up saving a few $$$.

But for that building, I don't know what "Standard" means. Can it be either Pool or Lagoon? Or does "Standard" just refer to the room not being a Suite?

Thanks.

Last edited by cgulls; 10-03-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #698
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
Does Outer Building Club Level differentiate between "Pool View" and "Lagoon View"? Using the newly released Disney Visa discounts, we upgraded our Garden View to "Outer Building Club Level, Standard Room" and ended up saving a few $$$.

But for that building, I don't know what "Standard" means. Can it be either Pool or Lagoon? Or does "Standard" just refer to the room not being a Suite?

Thanks.
What new visa discounts? Where does one find this??
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #699
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks.
Yes std is any non suite. You will get a pool or marina view.

Both are nice

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #700
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
Historically, the room and package discounts Disney offers to the general public are made available a few days early to Disney Rewards Visa holders. Chase has not yet promoted this but I read about it on other posts.

I already had February room reservations for Yacht Club and GF. I called Disney Reservations this morning and asked for the Disney Visa discounts for my existing reservations. Some rooms available, some not. But it saved us a few $$$ and we got to upgrade! Garden View to Outer Building Club at GF; Garden View to Pool/Lagoon View at YC (though I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade).
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #701
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I called this morning.(not available online). Start was 1/5/14.

I got 35% off at CR in MKV-CL

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #702
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes std is any non suite. You will get a pool or marina view.

Both are nice
In April, we had a nice, unobstructed view of the pool in our Boca Chica Garden View room. Loved it. Do you have any preference for Lagoon View or Pool in Sugarloaf? I think I'm inclined to take whatever they give us but wonder if I should make any requests for our February visit.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #703
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In April, we had a nice, unobstructed view of the pool in our Boca Chica Garden View room. Loved it. Do you have any preference for Lagoon View or Pool in Sugarloaf? I think I'm inclined to take whatever they give us but wonder if I should make any requests for our February visit.
We had pool view but I am hoping for marina next time. Dh loves boats

One thing is dormer rooms have smaller balconies. When just dd and I it did not matter but next trip is all 4 of us so I made a "non dormer room " request so we all fit on balcony. Either view will be fine,we need space more.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #704
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We had pool view but I am hoping for marina next time. Dh loves boats

One thing is dormer rooms have smaller balconies. When just dd and I it did not matter but next trip is all 4 of us so I made a "non dormer room " request so we all fit on balcony. Either view will be fine,we need space more.
I think we wouldn't get put in a dormer room because we are a family of 5 and the dormer rooms sleep only 4 (that is correct, isn't it?).

Thanks for your insight. I guess there really should be too many crummy views in that building considering how it's sited. Are they any rooms that should be avoided?

Last edited by cgulls; 10-03-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #705
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
mickeynut I read mixed reviews on the MBs..I chose a pretty bright green! Maybe I will plan some outfits color coordinate with it!! LOL..
I've seen the colors and I love the bright green . As a matter of fact, I would have a hard time choosing as I think all of the colors are great (except the grey ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Fabulous day here, Blue!! Wish we could bottle this weather and pull it out when needed...
I agree......our weather was gorgeous here yesterday and today it's cloudy and rain is on the way .

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone for the good thoughts and kind words. My daughter and I are very close. In fact, she calls me her best friend. We are both going crazy waiting for the trip to get here, and it's all we seem to talk about these days. I'm so excited about the trip that I can hardly focus on work. I'm ashamed to admit that on more than one occasion, I've poked around on the boards and worked on the trip plans during office hours. Sometimes I forget that the real reason we are heading to FL is for a college visit. I don't know what I'm going to do if she does decide to go to UCF next year. I have a son at FSU, and now my daughter at UCF! There definitely won't be much reason for me to keep living 1,000 miles away in Illinois. The next trip I may be planning is a permanent move to be closer to my kids!
How nice that you and your DD are very close . You two are going to have a great time. I can't relate from experience to kids being away at school as my two DSs are going local, but I did have to think about them going away as that was a possibility (and I wasn't doing well with just thinking about them going away). It looks like a move to Florida is a great idea for you......you would have the best of both worlds.....close to your kids and WDW .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
If both of my kids moved to Florida when they got older I would be packed before them
Me too .

Quote:

Thanks.
As trishadono said, your view will be either of the courtyard pool or marina. We had a marina view and I loved it, although I think a view of the courtyard would be just as nice .

Quote:
As cgulls posted, sometimes Disney Visa holders get advanced notice on promos. From what I've read on other threads, the new promo for a RO discount and S/P/D package offer for select dates January-March is supposed to be released on October 8th .

Quote:
I already had February room reservations for Yacht Club and GF. I called Disney Reservations this morning and asked for the Disney Visa discounts for my existing reservations. Some rooms available, some not. But it saved us a few $$$ and we got to upgrade! Garden View to Outer Building Club at GF; Garden View to Pool/Lagoon View at YC (though I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade).
Congrats on upgrading your rooms and saving money at the same time .

Quote:
I got 35% off at CR in MKV-CL
That's a great savings .

Quote:
I loved our marina view in SL, but IMO, you can't go wrong with either view as they are both nice .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: