Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #526
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoogie View Post
I've heard that the corner rooms with the two balconies are called hammerhead rooms. I read it here on the disboards!
Thanks!! I knew that they had a particular name...but I just couldn't remember what I had heard that it was! I wonder if these rooms are in most of the outer lodges..don't think there are any in SL..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
Hello all...our trip to the GF is in 32 days. I'm taking my parents (ages 82 and 83). I need some advice regarding how long yall think it will take from landing at the airport at 1:20 pm to actually being in our rooms.

We're renting a car and I'm comfortable driving there, so no issues with the transportation.

The reason I"m asking is that is a night MK closes early at 7pm for the MNSSHP. I was reaaaally hoping, after getting in our rooms, we could rest, then hop on the monorail to do a sort of dry run to show Mama and Daddy what it will all be like, and also how they'll be on the scooters.

We also have dinner ressies at the cafe around 5:30 but I could change those. What has been your experience with actual times from landing to 'magical landing'? Thanks!
32 days!!! Even with a rental car I would say that 90 minutes is a good rule of thumb from landing to door at the resort...

As Trisha suggested..I would move the dinner at GF Café to later....especially traveling with ECV's...might take your family a little longer to navigate in and out of the MK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramaac View Post
Hi there I was just at the Polynesian at the end of August for vacation But really wasn't paying attention. We are headed back to the grand Floridian for a few days at Christmas. Can anyone let me know which buildings Are closest to the construction for the vacation club. Hopefully I can avoid being in one of those buildings. Also I read on trip advisor many many Negative comments about the conditions of the rooms at the grand Floridian-----All of them basically saying that the rooms are very very tired and worn. I have no issues paying for deluxe resorts as of the last time We stayed at the club level the Polynesian. And we were actually going to stay there for Christmas except for the ongoing construction there. But I'm not sure if I rather have the construction versus the worn rooms. So the big thing is can anyone let me know what rooms are closest to the vacation club construction And then offer me any Information on the conditions of the Rooms at the grand Floridian thank you.
No worries about construction in December! As for the condition of the rooms...while I have said that I do think that the rooms are ready for a refurbishment...and to be updated as well...they are by no means in terrible shape...some of the rooms seem more worn than others though..and I am sure if you are assigned a room and you are not happy with it you can asked to be moved to another...

MickeyNut Thanks for that "official" information on the VGF opening date ...Wonder if there will any kind of special ceremony??? On another subject that is.. OT for this thread...LOL....My Poly loving pal...What are your thoughts on all that is going on at your fave resort??? I really think that Disney did a great job on making the VGF blend in so well at the GF...Hope they do the same over at the Polynesian too...

Old 09-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #527
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

BlueSkies - I see we were posting at the same time, and used almost the exact same words regarding construction in December. Great minds and all...
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #528
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Hi k&a&c'smom I see we were posting at the same time!

I too would not hesitate to recommend a stay at the GF..even before the rooms are refurbed.... It is such a beautiful resort...

Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #529
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
BlueSkies - I see we were posting at the same time, and used almost the exact same words regarding construction in December. Great minds and all...
Posting at the same time twice!! LOL... I agree

Old 09-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #530
trishadono
DIS Veteran

BlueSkies I see you have a trip coming up but I forget where you are staying.

I have been watching youtube videos of the grand and found ones from our own ahcupcake and BethClayton

I can't believe I am finally getting to stay RPC

We have annual passes but I think I will find it hard to leave the lounge

Well except to catch last hours of F&W of course

Anybody have more pics? How about that balcony that kind of looks towards monorail entrance????

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 09-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #531
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Posting at the same time twice!! LOL... I agree
I left the computer to do other things and only noticed when I got back that we were posting at the same time about posting at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
BlueSkies I see you have a trip coming up but I forget where you are staying.

I have been watching youtube videos of the grand and found ones from our own ahcupcake and BethClayton

I can't believe I am finally getting to stay RPC

We have annual passes but I think I will find it hard to leave the lounge

Well except to catch last hours of F&W of course

Anybody have more pics? How about that balcony that kind of looks towards monorail entrance????
"I forget where you are staying" - hahaha!

It is very hard to leave RPC, so relaxing.

Do you mean the outside, third floor balcony? I have a few photos, I'll have to go look for them.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 09-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #532
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Subscribing...

considering a 25th anniversary vow renewal with our 3 girls June 30, 2014.

Throwing around the idea of a 1 bedroom villa

never stayed in a villa before...does anyone know if you can ever get in a ville BEFORE 4pm?

thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #533
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Subscribing...

never stayed in a villa before...does anyone know if you can ever get in a ville BEFORE 4pm?

thanks
Back a few years I checked in at 7am for OKW and my room wasn't ready until 4pm(it was day after thanksgiving ) for my BLT trips, two we checked in after 4pm but once I transferred at 7am from CR and my room was ready then.

The earlier you check in the better. Also if you don't have any requests it will be easier. (If you ask for a higher floor you will probably have to wait vs taking first room available).

I am staying there in January so watch for pictures!

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #534
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Fine! I will be more specific!

BlueSkies are you staying GV, LV, TPV, Deluxe , SL or RPC?

K&A&C'S Mom, yes the view from that balcony towards the monorail. I have been google earth-ing the GF. The main building is quite interesting!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #535
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Quote:
Back a few years I checked in at 7am for OKW and my room wasn't ready until 4pm(it was day after thanksgiving ) for my BLT trips, two we checked in after 4pm but once I transferred at 7am from CR and my room was ready then. The earlier you check in the better. Also if you don't have any requests it will be easier. (If you ask for a higher floor you will probably have to wait vs taking first room available). I am staying there in January so watch for pictures!
Thanks will do!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #536
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Fine! I will be more specific!

BlueSkies are you staying GV, LV, TPV, Deluxe , SL or RPC?

K&A&C'S Mom, yes the view from that balcony towards the monorail. I have been google earth-ing the GF. The main building is quite interesting!
I couldn't resist, when I read your post it tickled me to think anyone wouldn't remember where BlueSkies will be staying on any WDW trip.

Oddly, I don't think I have any photos of the view from that balcony, only of the balcony itself. I think johnsonet has posted a couple facing that direction, but from the balcony of a room on the Beach Pool side; I have a photo from our balcony of that view, too. BRB.

johnsonet's photo, I think from an octagonal king deluxe over M. Mouse

Here's a photo of that view from ground level

ETA: took me a while to find this one, I took it from the balcony of room 4323

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 09-19-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #537
princessap
DIS Veteran

We are considering a stay here next fall and just wondering which building everyone would recommend, will be me, dh and our three kids (2,5,7 at trip time!). we will be doing some resort/pool days and two days and MNSSHP for sure at MK!
thanks!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #538
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the pics! Can you tell i am excited??? I am driving DH crazy! BUT he seems to be excited too and that doesn't often happen.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #539
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
We are considering a stay here next fall and just wondering which building everyone would recommend, will be me, dh and our three kids (2,5,7 at trip time!). we will be doing some resort/pool days and two days and MNSSHP for sure at MK!
thanks!
What category room are you considering? For TPV, I would recommend Sago Cay or Conch Key; with garden view, there are pros and cons to each building. In Sago, you would have either a view of the marina or the back landscaping with the monorail (both garden view), and it is quite close to Gasparilla's and the back path to the bus stop. Conch Key is a good choice for all around convenience - close to the courtyard pool, Narcoossee's, boat dock, marina and Gasparilla's - and you would have either marina or courtyard view.

Boca Chica has lovely views of the courtyard pool and main building, close to the pool, Narcoossee's and the boat dock. Big Pine Key is the closest to the back entrance of the main building and the beach pool, with views of the courtyard pool. Keep in mind, BPK has a number of rooms that look right into the back of the pool house, so you would need to ask for an upper floor.

HTH!

Quote:
Thanks for the pics! Can you tell i am excited??? I am driving DH crazy! BUT he seems to be excited too and that doesn't often happen.
You're welcome. I don't blame you for being excited, I wish I had a trip coming up soon.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #540
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm kind of surprised they have officially announced the Poly villas. It took months of destruction of the North Wing and then more months of construction of the tower before they announced BLT; not quite as much prevaricating with VGF, but still wouldn't announce until the project was well along. The Poly project has only just begun, they must have a reason for letting it out so soon.
You're welcome . I knew BlueSkies asked about the opening and when I saw that I thought I would post it. I agree about the news coming out so soon. I remember Disney not releasing news about BLT until construction was well under way (even though everyone knew what was going on....LOL). It will be interesting to see what all will go on at the Poly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
MickeyNut Thanks for that "official" information on the VGF opening date ...Wonder if there will any kind of special ceremony??? On another subject that is.. OT for this thread...LOL....My Poly loving pal...What are your thoughts on all that is going on at your fave resort??? I really think that Disney did a great job on making the VGF blend in so well at the GF...Hope they do the same over at the Polynesian too...
Not a problem.....I knew it was sometime in October but didn't know the exact date.....now we all know . Good question about a special ceremony. Did Disney do anything for all of the other DVC openings?? I am curious as to what will be going on at the Poly. I think Disney does a good job of building DVC to blend in with the current resort, so I'm sure Poly villas will be great . There is talk about bungalows over the water.....not sure how I feel about that....I think I would be a little freaked staying in one.....but I'm sure they would look pretty .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post

thanks
We've never stayed in any of the villas, but I wanted to say I think the GF is a great resort for an anniversary/vow renewal trip .

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
thanks!
We had a GV room in Big Pine Key and we loved it. As k&a&c'smom said, there are some "less desirable" rooms that look at the back of the pool house, but if you get a room on one of the upper floors it's a pretty view . We liked that BPK was convenient to the main building as well as to Gasparillas.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: