Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #31
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

A new GF thread...Thanks k&a&c'smom

trishadono At least you've got the trifecta!

Hi MickeyNut !!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #32
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Hi MickeyNut !!

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #33
vernema
Far from FL!

Woohoo, a new thread! Thanks for doing this! I've been lurking on the last one reading whatever I can find. We're considering GF for May 2014, since the Poly construction is so up in the air. First time at GF, other than Citricos for dinner.

Can some of you knowledgeable gurus post a summary of what is/isn't under construction at this point at GF, and how you think that would affect guests in the various buildings? We'll have our DD7 with us and would love advice on non-CL quieter room/bldg choices. We would prefer not to hear the 2am boat horns or the band playing all night.

Also, where to find Mickey Waffles for breakfast? ahem..for my DD, of course...

WDW1979, WDL1997, Poly2011

Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #34
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Am I first????

How appropriate! I just booked our 1st GF stay this afternoon! We will be in Sugarloaf for 8 nights! 8/16/14 - 8/24/14! Can't wait!

ETA: I saw your answers to my questions in the other thread....thank you!!!
I thought your family didn't like GF because it reminded them of a nursing home.I guess you have changed your mind. I have always wanted to try the resort. I can't get past the price compared to WL CL. Have a great time.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #35
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I thought your family didn't like GF because it reminded them of a nursing home.I guess you have changed your mind. I have always wanted to try the resort. I can't get past the price compared to WL CL. Have a great time.
Oh yes, DH had lots of things to say about the switch (gotta love his sense of humor)

But, as far as our list of "resort requirements" go, GF hits all but one (ability to walk to a park) and our other options were missing more than one requirement.

It has everything we want and need, and once DH reviewed the list, he said that he bets we probably end up loving it.

The price isn't too awful....we have 40% off so and going during value season so the nightly rate is actually a little less than what we paid for YC CL this past April. Still isn't super cheap though.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #36
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Beautiful new FAQ, k&a&c'smom!

Congrats to Candy and anyone else who is now an owner at VGF. Can't wait to stay there although we didn't purchase.

vernema, the construction of the villas will be over long before your trip. The band plays inside the main building and can't be heard anywhere else.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #37
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

k&a&'csmom Thank you for doing this! I have been checking in several times a day to see how everyone is!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #38
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernema View Post
I've been lurking on the last one reading whatever I can find. We're considering GF for May 2014, since the Poly construction is so up in the air. First time at GF, other than Citricos for dinner.

Can some of you knowledgeable gurus post a summary of what is/isn't under construction at this point at GF, and how you think that would affect guests in the various buildings? We'll have our DD7 with us and would love advice on non-CL quieter room/bldg choices. We would prefer not to hear the 2am boat horns or the band playing all night.

You will love the GF if you choose it for your stay . As the pp said, construction will be over by the time your trip rolls around so no worries there. If you're looking for CS breakfast, you can find Mickey waffles at Gasparillas .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I have always wanted to try the resort. I can't get past the price compared to WL CL. Have a great time.
I agree that CL at the GF is pricey, but if you ever get the chance to stay in the main building, it is well worth it, IMO. For me, WL CL ranks right up there with RPC. I didn't care for SL (sorry SL fans....BlueSkies ), but that's what is so great about Disney.....there's something for everyone's taste and budget .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #39
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Am I first????

How appropriate! I just booked our 1st GF stay this afternoon! We will be in Sugarloaf for 8 nights! 8/16/14 - 8/24/14! Can't wait!

ETA: I saw your answers to my questions in the other thread....thank you!!!
congrats on booking SL! You are going to love it..Its our preference for summer visits to the GF becuase of its close proximity to the CY pool and the boat dock too...

BTW..am curious on how you got that awesome 40% discount ..the most we have been able to get recently is the 35% off offered with a BB ressie..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
k&a&'csmom Thank you for doing this! I have been checking in several times a day to see how everyone is!
Hi MommyGina..

Quote:
Woohoo, a new thread! Thanks for doing this! I've been lurking on the last one reading whatever I can find. We're considering GF for May 2014, since the Poly construction is so up in the air. First time at GF, other than Citricos for dinner.

As BCV has pointed out the music can only be heard in the main building...and is only until 10pm...and although I do believe all of the construction will be finished by the time of your trip..I do think there will be room refurbs going on..which may effect the availablity of certain buildings...

Dont think that you need to worry about 2am boat horns...LOL..dont think the boats are generally running that late...my recommendation for a quieter building would be to request Sago ...that building is closest to the wooded area...and furthest from the hustle bustle (although I dont think it ever really feels hustley bustley ( I think I made that word up..LOL....!!??) of the courtyard area...

And..as for that Mickey waffle...your DD and as well who ever else might want one can be had at the GF Cafe..and also at Gasparillas...

MickeyNut Good morning!...ETA..just saw that we were posting at the same time!! ..LOL..on the Sugar...I do like it!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #40
trishadono
DIS Veteran

For quiet sago is good. We were on side facing monorail and fun to watch. The other side faces marina and would therefore be noisier.

I am thinking of requesting sago myself since that building is GV but most views are really water views. Dh loves lake and boats

Anyone check in recently and remember what checkin options were? Only have 2 weeks or so to my check in.

Villas will be open when I am there and hope to get more pics!!!

A mom and me connection before year 2 of college. I sure will miss her

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 POP, GF 19 17
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
congrats on booking SL! You are going to love it..Its our preference for summer visits to the GF becuase of its close proximity to the CY pool and the boat dock too...

BTW..am curious on how you got that awesome 40% discount ..the most we have been able to get recently is the 35% off offered with a BB ressie..

Hi MommyGina..

As BCV has pointed out the music can only be heard in the main building...and is only until 10pm...and although I do believe all of the construction will be finished by the time of your trip..I do think there will be room refurbs going on..which may effect the availablity of certain buildings...

Dont think that you need to worry about 2am boat horns...LOL..dont think the boats are generally running that late...my recommendation for a quieter building would be to request Sago ...that building is closest to the wooded area...and furthest from the hustle bustle (although I dont think it ever really feels hustley bustley ( I think I made that word up..LOL....!!??) of the courtyard area...

And..as for that Mickey waffle...your DD and as well who ever else might want one can be had at the GF Cafe..and also at Gasparillas...

MickeyNut Good morning!...ETA..just saw that we were posting at the same time!! ..LOL..on the Sugar...I do like it!
Thanks!! We are excited! The proximity of the Sugarloaf building to the pool scored big points with us!!

Oh, the 40% off is the military discount, which we are so lucky to have been able to use over the last few years.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #42
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good morning, Blue . I agree......you gotta have your SL (that is when you're not in RPC ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
Villas will be open when I am there and hope to get more pics!!!
I would love to see pics of the villas. I am hoping to get a peak at them when we go in December. We aren't staying at the GF, but I'm sure we'll be wandering around at some point during our trip since we are staying on the monorail .

Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #43
red712371
Mouseketeer

We had Sago marina side and loved it. We were right next to the elevator and I was concerned at first, but even that was fairly quiet.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #44
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

BCV23 & pas130 -

Blue Skies - LOL about making up a word. I like it.

trishadono - only 2 weeks until you return?! YAY!

Quote:

to the FAQ and the DIS!! Glad you came out of lurkdom to join us on the new thread.

I think you will love the Grand. (shocking! lol) Everyone has given great info on the construction/quiet issue, and you should be able to get Mickey waffles at all the breakfast options on property - they are still on the menu at Gasparilla's, GF Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, Private Dining.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #45
IDreamofPoly
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all your hard work! Getting excited for our trip! 09/28-10/06, 2013!

DH (30)
Me (28)
DS (19 months)

Disneyland: AP Holders & every year since Birth
WDW: October 2011 (Late Honeymoon at Pop!), July 2012 (1st Anniversary at Caribbean Beach), and October 2013 (DS's 1st Bday at Grand Floridian), June 2014 (Poly!!) September 2014 (CR TPV & BC Split-Stay)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: