Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 AM   #3391
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Isn't it hitting anyone else as a little strange, that we had a few (fortunate) pics here of the new rooms... but they haven't shown up ANYWHERE else on the internet???

I wonder if they saw our reactions to some of the decor...
I find this strange as well. And as for the nesting tables, maybe someone will report in soon and tell us they have been placed in the rooms now.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #3392
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've googled it each day and nothing has come up.. strange...
That is strange, I'm surprised no one else has taken photos yet, or if they have, they've not been posted anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall7 View Post
First time at GF staying July 27-August 2!!!!! So excited!! We are booked for outer building garden view. What building and/or room requests do you all recommend? Do all rooms have full balcony? We would love to be able to see Wishes from our room and maybe be in quiet area if one exists because I am a light sleeper. View more important though and would like to be close to pool and main building. I know, asking a lot perhaps. Any help would be appreciated.
Congrats on your first GF stay! You will love the resort.

Your room requests really depend on what you, as a family, find most important. The resort is pretty compact, so no building is all that far from anything - Sago Cay being the furthest from the pools and Main Building back entrance, but even that building has its good points in terms of location (close to Gasparilla's and back path to bus stop and it's quiet). Most Garden Views will be of the courtyard pool, but the marina side of Conch Key and Sago Cay are also considered garden view; both would be an option for a quieter room, but might put you a little further away from the pools. Check out the map in the first post of this thread, and the rest of the first page for lots of photos and info.

The only garden view rooms with a view of the fireworks are the upper rooms on the Main Bldg. end of Big Pine Key, and those only afford views of the upper bursts - the direct views of Wishes are booked as TPV rooms. It is possible there are a couple rooms on the lagoon end of Sago and Conch with some obscured views (but I think the way the buildings are shaped this is unlikely) and I believe a few garden view rooms on the end of Boca, facing Narcoossee's, may catch an obscured view of fireworks.

Yes, full balconies on all standard rooms (the dormer rooms have the enclosed, dormer balconies but they are still big enough for chairs/table).

HTH!

Quote:
I saw those and the ones we've had here... but nothing else...

Maybe nobody stays in Conch Key? (except me... it's my favorite building...)
We love Conch Key, too, but have a hard time getting assigned there. I always assumed that was due to it being the most requested, but maybe I'm wrong!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #3393
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2dvc View Post
We are staying in a garden view room for Easter of this year and are very excited.... really hoping to get a refurbished room.
Have a great trip. The GF is an amazing resort .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishesQueen View Post
We have looked so many times at DVC and I just can't commit. I think its the kitchen...lol!! I just don't want to see one while I am away!!! Never mind the laundry room!!
Same here. We have looked into DVC 3 or 4 times and finally decided it's just not for us as it doesn't fit the way we vacation. The extra space might be nice, but I don't cook or do laundry on vacation and since our 2 DSs are now young adults, the pull out sleeper would never work .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
OMG...I had huge post that just poofed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry your post disappeared....I hate when that happens .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcupcake View Post
Agree no bad views from RPC, I personally love the courtyard pool view
That's my favorite view too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Hello, my GF friends! I was offline one day and the thread took off!
Same happened to me...LOL. It's been a busy couple of days and I come back to find myself 3-4 pages behind .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Blue, it was a good visit with my Dad, altho still sad. It was good to hug my sisters again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Well....the discount roulette wheel landed on GF this morning! I was able to get a 35% discount off a GV room July 23 - 29. Was cheaper than CR and Poly which had lesser discounts or disc only on higher room categories. Go figure Anyhoo......REALLY hoping that the refurb room touches will be modified just a bit to include at least the nesting table. If not, we will make the best of it. Probably have to bring in an extra chair from the balcony...lol
Congrats on the discount . I agree about the rooms, but I'm sure you'll have a great trip as the GF is such a gorgeous resort overall that it's hard not to love it (despite the new decor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yce22princess View Post
Joining you guys over on this thread! I switched us from a CR GW room to a GF GV room for the 35% discount this morning! Sooooo excited!!! Can't wait for July!! 😃
Congrats on the discount.....you will love the GF .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishesQueen View Post
I just saved $1,100 on my six night stay at the Grand!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomof1 View Post
With summer discount coming out soon, I'm considering GF. (usually stay at BC, AK or CBR) Regarding garden view rooms, do they all have balconies, or would I need to request that and then keep my fingers crossed?
thanks!
You won't regret trying the GF. We've stayed at BC, AKL, & CBR and while we loved all of them, the GF is just amazing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrentinos View Post
Hi all! We just took advantage of the new summer discount and switched to GF! We are staying in the outer building club level! Super excited!!! Now to book lots of new experiences! Just thought that I'd say "hi" and "thanks" to this thread!
Welcome to the GF FAQ. Good choice on choosing the GF....you're going to love it .

Quote:
Isn't it hitting anyone else as a little strange, that we had a few (fortunate) pics here of the new rooms... but they haven't shown up ANYWHERE else on the internet???

I wonder if they saw our reactions to some of the decor...
I find it interesting as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk96 View Post
I would put them in the order of importance too. I heard that room assigners try to give you the first request on your reservation if possible.
I agree .

Quote:
LOL - wish it mattered what we think, but I get the feeling it doesn't. I, too, have found it interesting there are no more photos, didn't realize there were none out there in the ether.
I'm with you......not sure it matters much what we think . With that said, I can't believe Disney hasn't updated their site with the new rooms. The GF is kind of understandable as those refurbs are just now going on, but the Poly rooms have been done since October and the old pics still come up on the Disney website .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall7 View Post
First time at GF staying July 27-August 2!!!!! So excited!! We are booked for outer building garden view. What building and/or room requests do you all recommend? Do all rooms have full balcony? We would love to be able to see Wishes from our room and maybe be in quiet area if one exists because I am a light sleeper. View more important though and would like to be close to pool and main building. I know, asking a lot perhaps. Any help would be appreciated.
Congrats on booking the GF.....you're going to love it . My favorite buildings for GV are Big Pine Key and Boca Chica. Both are right next to the courtyard pool, with BPK being just steps from the main building and beach pool, but not too far from Gasparillas. With that said, BC is right next to BPK, so that is not far from anything, either. Have a great trip, the GF is an amazing place to stay .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #3394
lgajohnson
Mouseketeer

With the new discounts out, we just switched from BC to the GF ....beyond excited! We will be there 7/26-8/5. Thank you for all this great information!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #3395
Maxie86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for the information! I think we would love a marina view and will probably request that. What floor is the lounge on? We've only stayed CL at the Poly and I'm trying to figure everything out at SL!

Thank you for that information as well - I don't think that the ground floor would be beneficial then - maybe we will request higher up instead - what are dormer rooms? Are those enclosed balconies? We have a 3 year old so we would prefer not to have one of those.

How does this request for SL sound...
1 - no dormer room
2 - marina view
3 - high up in the building

Last question (for now) - is there a place in the lounge or on the beach that we can watch Wishes with the music piped in? I'm only familiar with doing that at the Poly CL so I'm not sure how GF does it.

Thanks so much!

The lounge is on the first floor. You can see Wishes if you go out the back door by the marina. You can also see wishes from some, but not all of the rooms on the marina side of SL. You can't see the castle but you have a good view of the fireworks. You can get the music and view of the castle in front of Gaspies. The boat dock is another good spot for wishes, but I prefer Gaspies because there is a lot of places to sit.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #3396
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie86 View Post
The lounge is on the first floor. You can see Wishes if you go out the back door by the marina. You can also see wishes from some, but not all of the rooms on the marina side of SL. You can't see the castle but you have a good view of the fireworks. You can get the music and view of the castle in front of Gaspies. The boat dock is another good spot for wishes, but I prefer Gaspies because there is a lot of places to sit.
Thanks so much! I'm so excited for our first stay at GF - I have always wanted to try it out! I figure SL is a pretty good first time! :-)
5/01 - AKL, 4/05 - CBR, 7/06 - POFQ, 12/07 - Pop, 6/12 - DCL Magic NYC, 12/12 - Poly, 7/13 - PolyCL, 1/14 - PolyCL, 5/14 - AKLCL, 7/14 - GF SL, 11/14 - YC/GF , 6/15 - PolyCL, 7/15 - DCL Fantasy, 7/15 - AKL CL

Old 03-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #3397
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
That is strange, I'm surprised no one else has taken photos yet, or if they have, they've not been posted anywhere.

Maybe once Boca Chica is done...

I'm hoping that there are more touches going into the rooms that they are adding as it goes along...

I'll keep checking...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #3398
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much! I'm so excited for our first stay at GF - I have always wanted to try it out! I figure SL is a pretty good first time! :-)
I remember seeing you often on the poly thread

For lounge space I like Hawaii best followed by atrium club and RPC and SL last.

However for food gf is #1!!!

For location to pool, food, transportation poly CL and gf SL about the same. Cr and gf RPC a little more inconvenient for pools.

SL space is small but your room is lovely so take a tray up to your room and sit on the balcony. They keep trays in the lounge just ask where they keep them and they will show you.

Tea time is the BOMB and you will love it for sure

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17
Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #3399
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Whoa! We're almost relegated to the second page! Can't let that happen....

Old 03-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #3400
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

I there anyplace for 2 adults to get a midafternoon cocktail at the GF? Maybe something like a mimosa or glass of wine? I see that Mizners doesn't open till around 5PM & we will be on vacay afterall....
TIA
Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #3401
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
I remember seeing you often on the poly thread

For lounge space I like Hawaii best followed by atrium club and RPC and SL last.

However for food gf is #1!!!

For location to pool, food, transportation poly CL and gf SL about the same. Cr and gf RPC a little more inconvenient for pools.

SL space is small but your room is lovely so take a tray up to your room and sit on the balcony. They keep trays in the lounge just ask where they keep them and they will show you.

Tea time is the BOMB and you will love it for sure
Sounds lovely! I can't wait!!! :-)

Having tried both Poly CL and GF SL what is something food/drink wise that we should be looking forward to that we may not know about?? Afternoon tea looks amazing!
5/01 - AKL, 4/05 - CBR, 7/06 - POFQ, 12/07 - Pop, 6/12 - DCL Magic NYC, 12/12 - Poly, 7/13 - PolyCL, 1/14 - PolyCL, 5/14 - AKLCL, 7/14 - GF SL, 11/14 - YC/GF , 6/15 - PolyCL, 7/15 - DCL Fantasy, 7/15 - AKL CL

Old 03-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #3402
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
I there anyplace for 2 adults to get a midafternoon cocktail at the GF? Maybe something like a mimosa or glass of wine? I see that Mizners doesn't open till around 5PM & we will be on vacay afterall....
TIA
One of my favorite places is the bar area by the future pool /beach area. They have a great drink, snack and lunch choices. My dd now 19 has been bugging us to go there since age 6 for her favorite virgin strawberry Daiquiris.

Sometimes dh and I share a rum drink then take boat to poly and have one beach side there too then take boat either back to gf (if staying there ) or monorail to the hotel we staying at. ( we usually at mono resorts).

It is so relaxing to sit anywhere by the lagoon

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17
Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #3403
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sounds lovely! I can't wait!!! :-)

Having tried both Poly CL and GF SL what is something food/drink wise that we should be looking forward to that we may not know about?? Afternoon tea looks amazing!
Breakfast you will find similar except gf offers MORE I especially liked having ham. I noticed people making their own ham and cheese croissants

In the day the grilled veggies are such a nice option. I recommend a glass of white wine or red mixed with that tropical punch(1/2 and 1/2) in the decanters.

Tea time is our favorite. The offerings are similar to the GF tea room offerings.

Evening again is very similar but they just have more!

Also I felt they put out more desserts at night vs poly too. It is really hard not to find something you will love. Choc covered strawberries often offered at 8 and 9 pm.

They only down side is that gf doesn't have the paper containers to take items to go. You can take stuff to your room or outside it is just not as convenient. I bring those covers that look like shower caps with me. I bring fruit etc back to room, cover and put in frig for later.

Well the lounge doesn't have that romantic flair as RPC or the views of poly and cr but the location of the building is nice and all the rooms have a nice view. Pool or marina is really relaxing either way.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #3404
Maxie86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree SL is a pretty good first time choice. Great location, very convenient to the courtyard pool, easy to run in to get snacks and drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
TIA
Both pools have a bar. I prefer the beach pool bar because there are more places to sit and enjoy your drink.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #3405
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
Breakfast you will find similar except gf offers MORE I especially liked having ham. I noticed people making their own ham and cheese croissants

In the day the grilled veggies are such a nice option. I recommend a glass of white wine or red mixed with that tropical punch(1/2 and 1/2) in the decanters.

Tea time is our favorite. The offerings are similar to the GF tea room offerings.

Evening again is very similar but they just have more!

Also I felt they put out more desserts at night vs poly too. It is really hard not to find something you will love. Choc covered strawberries often offered at 8 and 9 pm.

They only down side is that gf doesn't have the paper containers to take items to go. You can take stuff to your room or outside it is just not as convenient. I bring those covers that look like shower caps with me. I bring fruit etc back to room, cover and put in frig for later.

Well the lounge doesn't have that romantic flair as RPC or the views of poly and cr but the location of the building is nice and all the rooms have a nice view. Pool or marina is really relaxing either way.
That all sounds delicious! We are planning on breakfast and appetizers almost all of our 8 days. We will visit for afternoon tea a few times as well. All pictures I've seen of the food looks amazing. Can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie86 View Post
I agree SL is a pretty good first time choice. Great location, very convenient to the courtyard pool, easy to run in to get snacks and drinks.
The location does look wonderful! We are planning on doing a few pool mornings and a few pool afternoon/evenings as well so that will be nice to be able to run there quickly for things.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: