Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #271
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
As I usually say, the lounge is "flat" but the food is amazing

Dd would take scones back to the room for later too!

The building location is so convenient.

The CM's were nice.

They walked us directly to our room for check in from outside(we took cab from CBR ) . So much nicer than going to a desk! They also asked if we wanted to grab something from the lounge before going to the room.

I don't love the lounge space compared to awesome views from cr and poly lounges BUT the view from the balcony is so pretty(pool or marina) that taking stuff back to room is nice .

Dd and I enjoyed it so much I booked it for New Years Day for all 4 of us as a treat before our VGF days.

The food was so good and had something for everyone. Tea time at 2:30 is our favorite!!!!

However feel free to change your mind again. To me it's all good, can't go wrong with Disney
When we have stayed CL, we often bring our food back to our room, especially if it's crowded.

There is no denying that GF is the best fit for us for this trip when you look at our lists comparing resorts, soooooo......time to get HAPPY!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #272
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Well I have an idea... When we go together again we can do a split stay..an Epcot resort..and the GF of course!!
What a good idea....that just might work .

Quote:
Dd and I enjoyed it so much I booked it for New Years Day for all 4 of us as a treat before our VGF days.
I can't wait to hear about your VGF stay ....the villas look absolutely beautiful.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #273
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Just to add some fuel to the fire...... I was reading a post on another Disney forum that the GF is going to have some type of construction going on in the spring and summer of 2014. One of the wedding event planners told the poster's friend that she recommended the bride NOT block off rooms for her guests at GF because of the construction. The bride was having a special event at Sago Cay and was told the views to the castle would not be affected. No other information was given.

So.....maybe the rumored room rehab is getting more REAL

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #274
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Just to add some fuel to the fire...... I was reading a post on another Disney forum that the GF is going to have some type of construction going on in the spring and summer of 2014. One of the wedding event planners told the poster's friend that she recommended the bride NOT block off rooms for her guests at GF because of the construction. The bride was having a special event at Sago Cay and was told the views to the castle would not be affected. No other information was given.

I think the best indicator is the fact that you can't book Sugarloaf for the month of June and RPC for July. The same exact thing happened with Poly CL and WL CL before the rehabs.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #275
ahcupcake
Mouseketeer

Good Evening
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Ahcupcake, how are ya?

I'm great.Not much going on here, hope everything is going well your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianna_sarah View Post
Hello! We have just booked our first GF reservation. We have outer building club level booked for July 6-13, 2014. Just a couple of questions, if someone has a minute...

Can a rollaway bed be brought into any room? I will have an 11 year old boy and a 7 year old girl next summer, and prefer that they not share a bed. I know that most rooms will have the daybed, but that a few of the dormer rooms do not. I try not to make room requests, as this seems to me to be the secret to getting upgraded (significantly... three of four Disney deluxe hotel stays), but always book the minimum that I will be happy with.

Are there any special candies or treats left in the rooms at night. We loved the taffy that was left on our pillows at night at the Beach Club and Boardwalk. Normally, I wouldn't give a second look to a piece of taffy in a candy store, but a beach themed resort, it seemed a perfect touch. Also loved the little cards with old movie quotes that were left on our beds at the Boardwalk. Anything like that at the Grand Floridian?

Lastly, I know that renovations are still speculative at this point, but does anyone know whether the 2007 renovation was a soft goods renovation only? I am sure that I read somewhere that the hotels get a soft goods renovation every six years and a full renovation every twelve. Either way, it sounds like we might be in a freshly renovated room. Will the other outlying buildings have already been renovated as well? Would love to have the grandparents join us, but doubt they will pay for CL.
adrianna_sarah You should be able to request a roll away if you don't have the day bed in your room, I was going to request one for the king room I booked for mom & I for our Christmas trip a few years back but we were majorly pixie dusted by being upgraded to the Grand Suite.

As others have said there are chocolates left at turn down. No need to request turn down at the GF you receive it no matter what view/CL or not that you book.

From everything that I have heard the GF is scheduled for a rehab after the holidays.Not sure which building they would start with,*I* think they will start with the Main Building CL first then Sugar Loaf, but like I said not sure what order they will do the buildings in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
What a good idea....that just might work .

I can't wait to hear about your VGF stay ....the villas look absolutely beautiful.
Hi mickeynut1 Mind if I join you & Blue on this split stay trip? I haven't stayed at the YC yet
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #276
adrianna_sarah
Mother of two curious little monkeys!

ahcupcake-I struggle to understand why they would take CL rooms out of inventory during a peak season, but saw it done at WL CL in the summer of 2012. They did half during June 2012 and the other half during July of 2012 and if memory serves, these were not the first rooms to be renovated. Maybe there is simply more need for regular rooms during these months?

MouseMommy1-Welcome back to the sunny side!

Everyone else-Thanks for the info. I still have ten months and a cruise on DCL before the GF trip and am already very excited!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #277
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I just wanted to poke my head in and say that our vacation at the GF last week was one of the best. I'm one who never dreamed I'd stay there, because I thought it was too stuffy for my taste. Well, I was wrong. The whole place is like living in a dream.

We stayed in Boca Chica, 4th floor, overlooking the courtyard pool. It was a beautiful view. The pools were amazing, the monorail service was so convenient. I didn't quite like the menu at the Gasparilla Grill-- the menus at the pools were much better. The rooms may have been a little worn, but they were big and suited our needs just fine.

Everyone was so friendly and helpful, especially the CMs who helped us when our daughter fell and broke her tooth one evening.

Last week, the resort was only at 30% capacity, so the crowds were perfect for us. I can imagine, though, once the GFV open up, the facilities might get a little crowded. Construction noises were not a problem, and though we were RIGHT by the construction when were at the beach pool, it hardly bothered us.

We are WL people, and we went with Poly people, but we're also now GF people, too.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #278
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
I just wanted to poke my head in and say that our vacation at the GF last week was one of the best. I'm one who never dreamed I'd stay there, because I thought it was too stuffy for my taste. Well, I was wrong. The whole place is like living in a dream.

We stayed in Boca Chica, 4th floor, overlooking the courtyard pool. It was a beautiful view. The pools were amazing, the monorail service was so convenient. I didn't quite like the menu at the Gasparilla Grill-- the menus at the pools were much better. The rooms may have been a little worn, but they were big and suited our needs just fine.

Everyone was so friendly and helpful, especially the CMs who helped us when our daughter fell and broke her tooth one evening.

Last week, the resort was only at 30% capacity, so the crowds were perfect for us. I can imagine, though, once the GFV open up, the facilities might get a little crowded. Construction noises were not a problem, and though we were RIGHT by the construction when were at the beach pool, it hardly bothered us.

We are WL people, and we went with Poly people, but we're also now GF people, too.
Great to hear!

We too are WL people who will be trying GF for the first time.

Hope your daughter's tooth is ok!

PAST TRIPS:
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #279
trishadono
DIS Veteran

My constant checking paid off!!!!

Got annual passholder rate and now finally staying RPC

We are going 11/8-11 but couldn't get all 3 days. Cheaptickets had 20%off std RPC but passholder had deluxe king aka honeymoon suite for awesome rate 9-11th!

This is an anniversary redo from spring due to FIL illness so I wanted it to be grand but this

so happy

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #280
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We are going 11/8-11 but couldn't get all 3 days. Cheaptickets had 20%off std RPC but passholder had deluxe king aka honeymoon suite for awesome rate 9-11th!

This is an anniversary redo from spring due to FIL illness so I wanted it to be grand but this

so happy

PAST TRIPS:
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #281
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:

so happy
Congrats. We are using the AP discount to stay RPC too. Have fun on your trip.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #282
TLHB70
Let me be known by the Company I keep, eclipsed by YOUR presence that I may decrease
I really like a lot of the music they play out around the park

I am joining in because this upcoming trip will be our first stay in GF. We love the Contemporary. So far it has always been our favorite. However, DD's dream is to stay in the GF and this trip was a surprise trip for her. We revealed it to her last weekend, and she yelled with excitement! We will be there Dec. 5-14. I am reading and trying to learn about possible room requests. We are not DVC owners, and we only booked an outer building, garden view room. However, no matter the room or view, I know this is DD's dream come true!
Any tips about room locations, preferences, etc. will be helpful so I am following and reading all I can.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #283
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post

great to hear!! I am a poly girl myself, hope your daughter is ok!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #284
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post

I am glad the rooms will be redone, but, I am running away from construction at the poly, hope this is not going to be loud? I am wishing it is all done by end of next summer.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #285
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Still in shock.. never thought i would actually get to stay at RPC!!!

I love Jack Spence from allears and his videos pretty good but is there anything else i should know?I have one night std RPC then move to deluxe king. I will email IPO and give them my 2 res # so they know. Maybe they just put us in a DK so they don't have to clean after one day? (keep fingers crossed).

I am hoping we can move stuff early on transfer day or stay in 1st room until ready, if not at least have that wonderful lounge until ready

I think i would prefer rooms on 2nd floor over marina. I don't mind walking stairs or elevators. Then again a walk in closet is nice.

Cant wait to find the "secret staircase" that one of us says her son loves. Something about leading to Gasparillas.(?)

If you love RPC give me a tip to make this a great trip, please and thank you.

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: