Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #2776
bonjovi
Mouseketeer

checking in to the Grand Floridian in 19 days. OUr first time there (poly the last 2 years).

we have a standard view room. 2 adults, a 6 &8 year old and 2 year old twins. Is there a specific building / room that I should ask for?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #2777
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

mariamouse - thanks so much for your reivew! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip, felt like we were there with you. I'm looking forward to your photos.

Your dinner at Narcoossee's sounds wonderful, along with all your other dining choices. Don't you just love GFC for breakfast?!~sigh~ DD and I nearly always eat there more than once during a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Orlando View Post
mariamouse,

I had fun reading your trip report. We were at the villas the same week you were there. We spent a lot of time in the Grand foyer listing to the piano player.

Our flight was also canceled and we were in the foyer on our last day when a singer came out to sing with the piano player. She was fabulous!

Candy
Feels odd to say - how lucky your flight was canceled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
....I was glad to see you enjoyed Il Mulino...that's one of the new places we keep going back and forth on.
It has been a while but we've eaten at Il Mulino twice and enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post
Please enjoy everything for all of us! Please sit in the comfy blue chair and put your feet up, and enjoy the Mickey lamp and topiary wallpaper for me! Oh, and throw something in the hamper, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy5767 View Post
Where did you see the refurbishment schedule? I am looking for May too. I like the new rooms, they're much more luxurious looking and the bedspread isn't U-G-L-Y!!
The refurbishment schedule is posted at the top of the first page:

REFURB UPDATE (provided by DisneyDreamingInMI):

I know some of us have been wondering about the room renovation dates and details. I just saw this on EasyWDW (1/9/14) so I thought I would share:

"Speaking of the Grand Floridian, its rooms will be seeing a minor refurbishment from early 2014 through the end of July. Disruption should be minimal to nonexistent for most guests. All rooms will receive all-new carpet and wallpaper. The Conch Key building began January 5th. Boca Chica begins February 4th; Big Pine Key begins March 9th; Sago Key begins April 27; Sugar Loaf begins June 1; and the main building begins June 29."

Quote:
I appreciate that everyone has been sharing what they think about the new decor at the Grand. Please know that I absolutely believe that everyone's opinion is equal and valid, and I am glad that some people find the new rooms happy.

For me, though, I am really disappointed in the design team for the Grand rooms. It looks like the work of an ordinary interior designer for ordinary hotel properties, with no spark of Imagineering quality.

Not only did they fail to capture a Disney essence for the rooms, but for me they have removed a lot of the functionality.

I don't know how they managed to make the room seem so much smaller with so much less useable space. The desk is smaller than the previous one, and although the armoire thingy is big and hulking, it doesn't seem to have as much useful surface or space compared to the previous one. I will so miss the chair, the bench and the hamper!!! Those were some of the touches that made it comfortable and luxurious. The new lamps and fixtures are just ugly and cheap looking (I'm hoping at least it looks better in person), and I am concerned that the lighting will not be as good as previously.

I am sure they had a specific goal in mind for the refurb, but I'm surprised it isn't more imaginative given what they did with the rooms at Riverside.

I love a pixie dusted hotel room and am sad I see so little luster in the new decor.
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Circusgirl I was thinking the exact same thing last night comparing the POR refurbs to the GF. The POR refurbs (all rooms including FQ, AB, Magnolia and RR) have so many imaginative touches that match the resort theme. And I swear, most of the items even look to be better quality! I just do not understand the lack of quality design elements in these new rooms. Functionality, scale, and period/theme décor to match the resort are just not adequate for a Disney flagship resort....IMO. They dumbed down the Poly rooms as well with the last refurb but they at least kept the well functioning furniture pieces.
We haven't seen the PO refurb in person, but the pictures are adorable!! If we were still staying in the mods, the PO resorts would be our first choice, how pretty are they?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
FWIW, I remember a lot of the Poly lovers who hated the new Poly decor and said a lot of things that some of you guys are feeling. (Cheap, took out the Disney touches...). But, actually being there made a difference. It's hard to capture the essence of something from pictures on line I think.

The big old fridge cabinet is not my favorite (I love the rest of the room) but once I get there in person, I may find it's not so bad. I'll reserve my judgement for when I'm living it. And I can't wait to live it!!!
I get what you are saying and it's a valid point. We didn't care for the look of the BC rooms in pictures, didn't hate it but didn't love it either. But when we stayed there we loved the way it all came together in a harmonious way.

On the other hand, I never liked the new YC rooms in photos - still don't like them. Didn't like the previous Poly bedspreads in photos, still don't like them. Didn't like the GF bedspreads in photos, still don't like them. Didn't care for the CR rooms, still don't like them (haven't stayed there but toured one). Didn't care for the SSR rooms in photos - still don't like them!

From that history, it's not likely I'll walk into the GF rooms and say, "wow! I love this!" or even, "hey, these aren't so bad! For me, there's the added negative of having so much red, which I'm not fond of at all.

Quote:
ETA: as I walked downstairs this morning, I realized my connection to the new decor. In my living room, we have tan paint on the walls, red curtains, red accent pillows, and our rug over the dark wood floors had lots of red and hints of that turquoise....my kitchen has red walls, lol!! Did I design the new rooms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Oh, so it was YOU that we have to thank for these new rooms..??
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bkcs View Post
After shoveling the drive for the 6 millionth time, we are at our 3 weeks until we leave for the Grand point. WOOHOO!
Three weeks, woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Circusgirl, you're right about the lack of usable space, especially the armoire. From what I can tell, the small desk will be the only place to put things.
Good point. We sometimes put small things on the surface under the TV, but they have to be really short or you end up blocking the TV screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
Do all the buildings have dormer rooms? How do they differ in size/furnishings from the regular rooms? Still have daybeds?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post

Someone can jump in here if I am not correct. I believe all of the outer builders have dormer rooms. They have slightly less square footage but have the nice high ceilings to make it "feel" bigger. The rooms have the same décor although not all of the rooms have daybeds. The dormered balconies are also smaller than the regular room balconies.
This is correct, I'll add a little info if I may. All outer buildings (and the Main Bldg., for that matter!) have dormer rooms on the upper floors. The dormer balconies are not only smaller, but enclosed. Some of the dormer rooms currently have daybeds, and with the recent renovations, I think they will all have them in future. No reason not to, with the elimination of some of the furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Thanks a lot (I think ) to k&a&c'smom for sending me a link to DisneyDreaminInMI's pics of the new decor.

Nightmare.

I've been staying at the GF since 1994 and think these new rooms are a huge disappointment. My daughter's jaw dropped to the ground when she saw the photos. We have no desire to go back, which will at least be nice for the pocketbook (Actually, I'd love to stay in one of the villas.)

They were boring enough after the last redo but at least they'd kept some of the wallpaper and some accents. I still miss the Cameo, Floral, Alice, etc. themes. Oh well... at least we stayed there one last time last January.

All I can do now is pray they don't mess up my beloved AKL anytime soon!
LOL! Sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

You have just given me an idea, maybe they made the resort rooms hideous to get more people to pay the higher cost of the VGF rooms.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #2778
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi View Post
checking in to the Grand Floridian in 19 days. OUr first time there (poly the last 2 years).

we have a standard view room. 2 adults, a 6 &8 year old and 2 year old twins. Is there a specific building / room that I should ask for?
Less than 3 weeks to go, very exciting!!

Garden view rooms are spread around the entire resort, which is quite compact and easily navigated. All the outer buildings have their good points, so which you request is really a matter of personal preference.

There is currently a room renovation going on, Conch Key has been completed and is currently in use while Boca Chica is under refurb and closed. According to the refurb schedule I referenced in my previous post, it is possible by the time you check in, Boca will be opened and they will have started on Big Pine Key (scheduled to start refurb March 9).

If you prefer to have a refurbished room, it might be best to request Conch Key. Check out the photos of the new rooms to see if you like them. If you prefer the current rooms, I would request Sago Cay to be safe.

If you don't care which decor you get, and simply want to know the best location, here is my standard response.

Conch Key is in a wonderful location, with the courtyard pool and boat dock out the front door, the marina and a short walk to Gasparilla's out the back. Boca Chica is near the courtyard pool and boat dock, with a beautiful view of the pool and the Main Bldg. Big Pine Key is close to both pools and the Main Building, keep in mind there are a number of rooms in this building that look directly into the back of the courtyard pool building. Sago Cay is the furthest from the pools, but has lovely views of the marina or the monorail out the back, and is close to Gasparilla's and the back path to the bus stop.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #2779
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Good morning fellow GF fans!

Back to reality is no fun...especially if reality is covered with snow..lol... We had a GRAND vacation..as usual...really enjoying the low crowd levels in the parks...and after a day or two of cooler temps..warmth and sunshine...

mariamouse Although I only skimmed...I read your review ..and enjoyed it..thanks for posting it!

k&a&c'smom I will continue to keep you, your DS and family in my thoughts and prayers...glad to hear that all is going well...

grannieminnie I had some lattes for you! Maxie did too..!

Mickeynut Hope that you enjoyed the texts!

DisneyDreamininMI Thanks for sharing your pics! How cool to be one of the first guests in the newly renovated building...

Tom Are you back yet?? While Maxie and I were soaking up some sun one afternoon .. we saw a gentlman sitting at the pool having a beer..we thought it might be you..but..one..he wasnt drinking the right drink...and two..we felt a little awkward aking if it was you...lol...so maybe we did cross paths!???

Some trip thoughts...

~Magic bands..They worked just fine..no problems..no glitches at all...from getting onto the DME...to getting into the room...to using the FPPs...

~FPP... Even with low crowds..there were long lines at the FPP kiosks ..and on many of the attractions that normally do not have long lines...ie: PotC... I also think not being inclined to park hop due to only being able to get FPP in one park per day contributed to that...Hope that the powers that be will re evalute that before the summer crowds arrive!

~MDE..Easy to use and keep track of what our itinerary was..since these days our itinerary need to be much more structured with all of the pre planning required.... At one point ..not sure how???..we missed our FPP window..and I was able to make a new FPP time after we had missed ours..still...lots of checking and fore thought required...

~GF Lovely as always...and so nice to return to after a day or evening the the parks...

~ The new room decor..thanks again DisneyDreamin for posting the pics...I too was hoping for more Disney whimsey and victorian warmth...the rooms now remind me of the decor in my Pottery Barn catalog...very elegant..pretty...just not what I had expected..and after seeing the VGF decor..and color palette and that change in the hallway leading to the pool elevator in the main building..I was thinking it would be more soft blues (to which I am partial...lol..) and soft mossy greens... All in all it would not stop me from staying there..just not what I had expected...

~some Did I just really see/hear that moments...

A woman standing straight up..yes standing!!! on IaSW taking pictures with her ipad...!!!!!!!!!

An irritated man on the water launch line...(yep there was a pretty big line..moved quickly though..and the CMs were advising folks that you could also take a bus back to the GF...which the bus stop was right there at the MK..not a far walk away....they were using the standard launch and a much bigger one..looked like a big canopy boat?? not a friendship ..that held 39 people...I was paying attention when they did a head count..lol...and keeping my fingers crossed...) back to original part of my super run on sentence!! .. ... say...If the monorail wasnt going to be running than they should have just closed the whole park!!!!!??????????? You cant make this stuff up....

The current BB offered has quite alot of dates..although some changes..the very beginning of December which has traditionally been included is not...?? It is for 35% at the deluxes....

Oh and I almost forgot...the renovations have started on Boca Chica..lots of workmen and hustle bustle going on at that building...so things seem to be on track with the schedule that someone..I forget who?? Oops..posted a while back...

Well thats all for now....this is long enough already...lol...

Hope that you are all keeping warm and having a terrific Thursday!

Last edited by BlueSkies; 02-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #2780
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Hi k&a&c'smom I see that we were posting at the same time... Or actually you posted while I was typing a novel here..LOL...

bonjovi Your trip is almost here!!! I think based on the fact that Conch is newly refurbed..and that it has such lovely views that might be a good request! Have a great trip!

Last edited by BlueSkies; 02-06-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #2781
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

TOMORROW, TOMORROW, I CHECK IN TOMORROW!!!!

I should be having lunch at the Grand this time tomorrow!!! I can't believe it..It seems like it wasn't that long ago when I was happy I was in double digits!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #2782
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post

I should be having lunch at the Grand this time tomorrow!!! I can't believe it..It seems like it wasn't that long ago when I was happy I was in double digits!

The time sure did fly!!!! Have a great trip and birthday too!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #2783
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

I thought I read somewhere that the self parking lot is now closer to the resort as opposed to having to park all the way in "no man's land"...is this true or am I just imagining this? We will be renting a car at some point after checking-in and was wondering about this since I can no longer remember where I saw that.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #2784
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Hi k&a&c'smom I see that we were posting at the same time... Or actually you posted while I was typing a novel here..LOL...
Looks like we may be back on our post-together schedule.

Quote:

Quote:
Good morning fellow GF fans!

Back to reality is no fun...especially if reality is covered with snow..lol... We had a GRAND vacation..as usual...really enjoying the low crowd levels in the parks...and after a day or two of cooler temps..warmth and sunshine...

k&a&c'smom I will continue to keep you, your DS and family in my thoughts and prayers...glad to hear that all is going well...

grannieminnie I had some lattes for you! Maxie did too..!

Some trip thoughts...

~Magic bands..They worked just fine..no problems..no glitches at all...from getting onto the DME...to getting into the room...to using the FPPs...

~FPP... Even with low crowds..there were long lines at the FPP kiosks ..and on many of the attractions that normally do not have long lines...ie: PotC... I also think not being inclined to park hop due to only being able to get FPP in one park per day contributed to that...Hope that the powers that be will re evalute that before the summer crowds arrive!

~MDE..Easy to use and keep track of what our itinerary was..since these days our itinerary need to be much more structured with all of the pre planning required.... At one point ..not sure how???..we missed our FPP window..and I was able to make a new FPP time after we had missed ours..still...lots of checking and fore thought required...

~GF Lovely as always...and so nice to return to after a day or evening the the parks...

~ The new room decor..thanks again DisneyDreamin for posting the pics...I too was hoping for more Disney whimsey and victorian warmth...the rooms now remind me of the decor in my Pottery Barn catalog...very elegant..pretty...just not what I had expected..and after seeing the VGF decor..and color palette and that change in the hallway leading to the pool elevator in the main building..I was thinking it would be more soft blues (to which I am partial...lol..) and soft mossy greens... All in all it would not stop me from staying there..just not what I had expected...

~some Did I just really see/hear that moments...

A woman standing straight up..yes standing!!! on IaSW taking pictures with her ipad...!!!!!!!!!

An irritated man on the water launch line...(yep there was a pretty big line..moved quickly though..and the CMs were advising folks that you could also take a bus back to the GF...which the bus stop was right there at the MK..not a far walk away....they were using the standard launch and a much bigger one..looked like a big canopy boat?? not a friendship ..that held 39 people...I was paying attention when they did a head count..lol...and keeping my fingers crossed...) back to original part of my super run on sentence!! .. ... say...If the monorail wasnt going to be running than they should have just closed the whole park!!!!!??????????? You cant make this stuff up....

The current BB offered has quite alot of dates..although some changes..the very beginning of December which has traditionally been included is not...?? It is for 35% at the deluxes....

Oh and I almost forgot...the renovations have started on Boca Chica..lots of workmen and hustle bustle going on at that building...so things seem to be on track with the schedule that someone..I forget who?? Oops..posted a while back...

Well thats all for now....this is long enough already...lol...

Hope that you are all keeping warm and having a terrific Thursday!
Wow, sounds like you had a fun and odd trip. "they should have just closed the whole park" - HAHAHAHAHA! They only keep it open for the MK area guests, we all know this.

The woman with the iPad is ridiculous, I can relate to that story. My DD's good friend, whose family was in the World at the same time as us, rode PotC with us and talked on her phone the whole way, loudly. "Guess where I am?" etc. Not kidding.

Are you referring to GFC lattes?!? DD loves those, and though I'm not generally a coffee drinker, I usually have some. So good.

The new room decor will probably affect us staying at the resort, sorry to say. We spend far too much time in the room to hate it, especially at those prices. We may do one or two days at the GF CL, then the rest at another resort, just so we get some GF time. Or, we may stay at another resort altogether and simply visit for shopping and restaurants - they have ruined our favorite pool, after all. (I agree with mariamouse, the jets are pretty, especially at night - but it isn't very easy for an adult to swim in either pool now)

PS - thanks about DS.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #2785
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Hmm...I know there were some pics of the dormer room balconies a few pages back...anyone remember which page?

ETA: Nevermind. :-) p. 169
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...

Last edited by Koh1977; 02-06-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #2786
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I appreciate that everyone has been sharing what they think about the new decor at the Grand. Please know that I absolutely believe that everyone's opinion is equal and valid, and I am glad that some people find the new rooms happy.

For me, though, I am really disappointed in the design team for the Grand rooms. It looks like the work of an ordinary interior designer for ordinary hotel properties, with no spark of Imagineering quality.

Not only did they fail to capture a Disney essence for the rooms, but for me they have removed a lot of the functionality.

I don't know how they managed to make the room seem so much smaller with so much less useable space. The desk is smaller than the previous one, and although the armoire thingy is big and hulking, it doesn't seem to have as much useful surface or space compared to the previous one. I will so miss the chair, the bench and the hamper!!! Those were some of the touches that made it comfortable and luxurious. The new lamps and fixtures are just ugly and cheap looking (I'm hoping at least it looks better in person), and I am concerned that the lighting will not be as good as previously.

I am sure they had a specific goal in mind for the refurb, but I'm surprised it isn't more imaginative given what they did with the rooms at Riverside.

I love a pixie dusted hotel room and am sad I see so little luster in the new decor.
ITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bkcs View Post
After shoveling the drive for the 6 millionth time, we are at our 3 weeks until we leave for the Grand point. WOOHOO!
Your trip will be here in no time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
We have no desire to go back

All I can do now is pray they don't mess up my beloved AKL anytime soon!
I'm sorry the refurb will prevent you from staying at the GF. I don't like the new decor either, but it seems like every deluxe resort seems to be changing from fun and whimsical to generic and boring .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaine8 View Post
Add me to the list of people who were not happy with the renovations to The Poly. As "regular" guests of the resort for our annual trips (4 times Garden View room, last 4 times Club Level Theme Park View), I was kind of perplexed by the last change. Part of my love for the Polynesian was being totally emersed in the tropical theme. When they changed the rooms, that feeling was pretty much gone. I did love the bathroom though.
We have stayed at The Portofino at Universal, and I agree that these new room designs seem to mimic the Portofino.
This will be our first trip staying at the GF, and I'm really excited! Though a part of me is sad that we won't be able to experience the character of the old room design. It's obvious that those rooms are close to all of your hearts!
Getting rid of bedspreads and updating must be a sign of the future. I hope one day that all of the resort rooms aren't just the same room with different pictures on the walls, but it seems that's the way it's going. Even in WDW.
I agree with everything, but especially the bolded part, although my feeling is coming just from pictures as we haven't stayed there since the room refurbs. The change at the Poly gave the rooms a light, airy feeling, but I liked the darker colors as that's what gave the Poly the tropical feel, IMO. I think Disney totally ruined the Poly and they carried that "ruined feeling" over to the GF for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi View Post
You will be checking into the GF before you know it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
it's not likely I'll walk into the GF rooms and say, "wow! I love this!" or even, "hey, these aren't so bad!
I feel the same way. I don't think the new decor will keep me from staying at the GF as I love RPC and the resort overall, but like you, I don't see myself walking in and loving it by seeing in person. I feel the same way about the Poly. I'm excited to eventually stay there again as it's our favorite resort, but I will definitely miss the Polynesian feel as the current room decor just doesn't scream tropical to me .

Quote:

Mickeynut Hope that you enjoyed the texts!
Glad you had a great trip and I hope you are adjusting to reality . Thanks for all of the texts, I very much enjoyed getting them .

Quote:
The new room decor will probably affect us staying at the resort, sorry to say. We spend far too much time in the room to hate it, especially at those prices. We may do one or two days at the GF CL, then the rest at another resort, just so we get some GF time. Or, we may stay at another resort altogether and simply visit for shopping and restaurants - they have ruined our favorite pool, after all. (I agree with mariamouse, the jets are pretty, especially at night - but it isn't very easy for an adult to swim in either pool now)
I agree about the GF prices. I'm sorry you may stop staying at the GF as well . My guess is all of the deluxe resorts will eventually go "generic". It was done to the Poly and now the GF, with the BC/YC due for refurbs this year. It will be interesting to see what happens to those resorts. It's quite sad, IMO, that the changes are so drastic making some guests not want to stay at certain resorts anymore. If Disney keeps changing to a more generic look, there won't be any appealing deluxes (at least not to me).

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #2787
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

I noticed that the link to the refurbed rooms on the first page (post#1) of this thread, shows a VERY different room than the link in post 2778 on page 186.

I don't really care for the one on post 1...but the room shown in post 2778 is GREAT! It really is in keeping with the new style of the Villas. Much more of an upscale look.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #2788
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy5767 View Post
I noticed that the link to the refurbed rooms on the first page (post#1) of this thread, shows a VERY different room than the link in post 2778 on page 186. I don't really care for the one on post 1...but the room shown in post 2778 is GREAT! It really is in keeping with the new style of the Villas. Much more of an upscale look.
The "new bedding" pic in Post 1 is from Nov. 2013. The refurb pics linked earlier on this page are pics of an actual refurbed room in Conch Key.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #2789
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the self parking lot is now closer to the resort as opposed to having to park all the way in "no man's land"...is this true or am I just imagining this? We will be renting a car at some point after checking-in and was wondering about this since I can no longer remember where I saw that.
Self parking is indeed closer than it used to be. In December I was surprised by how close it was, having prepared a snack and a bottle of water for the hike I had read about. Apparently it used to be across a street and over the rainbow, now it is next to the valet parking and seems much, much closer than the parking for the BWI or YC/BC.

Quote:

Cue the scones and jam tarts!

Quote:
FWIW, I remember a lot of the Poly lovers who hated the new Poly decor and said a lot of things that some of you guys are feeling. (Cheap, took out the Disney touches...). But, actually being there made a difference. It's hard to capture the essence of something from pictures on line I think.

The big old fridge cabinet is not my favorite (I love the rest of the room) but once I get there in person, I may find it's not so bad. I'll reserve my judgement for when I'm living it. And I can't wait to live it!!!

ETA: as I walked downstairs this morning, I realized my connection to the new decor. In my living room, we have tan paint on the walls, red curtains, red accent pillows, and our rug over the dark wood floors had lots of red and hints of that turquoise....my kitchen has red walls, lol!! Did I design the new rooms?
You have a great attitude, and I'll try to feel a little hopeful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaine8 View Post
Add me to the list of people who were not happy with the renovations to The Poly. As "regular" guests of the resort for our annual trips (4 times Garden View room, last 4 times Club Level Theme Park View), I was kind of perplexed by the last change. Part of my love for the Polynesian was being totally emersed in the tropical theme. When they changed the rooms, that feeling was pretty much gone. I did love the bathroom though.
We have stayed at The Portofino at Universal, and I agree that these new room designs seem to mimic the Portofino.
This will be our first trip staying at the GF, and I'm really excited! Though a part of me is sad that we won't be able to experience the character of the old room design. It's obvious that those rooms are close to all of your hearts!
Getting rid of bedspreads and updating must be a sign of the future. I hope one day that all of the resort rooms aren't just the same room with different pictures on the walls, but it seems that's the way it's going. Even in WDW.
I mourned the passing of the old Poly decor, too.

I know you will have a fabulous time at the GF!! There are many things to enjoy around the resort, and it is a great place to relax.

I'm afraid the down-dressing of the decor means that the bean counters are winning too many budget discussions. Someone mentioned that the VGF shower curtains are also at Target, which means they aren't going to the level they went to when they made the special shower curtains at the VCG with Bambi and Thumper on them. Even the club level chocolate greeting gift has been downsized. It used to be postcard size, and painted with a colorful picture of the resort, and now it is a little less than the size of a playing card, and is just molded chocolate. I wonder if the next time I come back they'll be tossing a Hershey's Bar on the bed?

Quote:

Oh nooooooo!! I hate the idea that you would lose your connection to such a favorite place. I don't want you to break up with the Grand! I understand, though. The Poly beach (and soon to be much of the resort ) is so torn up I can't imagine staying there even though some people feels like the construction doesn't make their experience less wonderful.

Last edited by Circusgirl; 02-06-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #2790
DisneyDreamingInMI
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Speaking of beds - I hope we hear from someone about the comfort of the new mattresses at the Grand. (hint, hint, DisneyDreamingInMI! )
The mattress seems pretty comfortable! It is fairly firm with a pillow top I think. It is always hard for me to judge because I am just so sore and tired from all the walking that comes with a Disney vacation!

By the way, I wanted to make sure you saw my response to your question from the other day! I think we might have been posting at the same time!

Quote:
DisneyDreamingInMI - thanks so much for all the photos, and taking the time to answer questions. Sorry they weren't met with squeals of joy from many of us - I hope that doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the rooms and resort.

Do you mind if I post a couple of these on the first page, so anyone looking there can see what the new rooms look like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamingInMI View Post
No worries! We are loving the room and the resort and are just thrilled to be here! As with anything, some people will love the new decor and some won't, but we happen to love it! But as I said earlier, this is our first stay here so we have nothing to compare it to, as do many others!

Again, I'm glad I could share the pictures and help out with questions! Not a hard task when I'm doing it relaxing by the pool or on the balcony!!!

You can certainly use some of the pictures. They are cell phone and iPad pictures. If you want better quality pictures, I can send you some from my regular camera once we are back home! I use the software on our home computer to download/edit them. But I told my husband that I'd like to stay here forever, so we'll have to see how that goes!

CBR - March 1997, CBR - May 2004, Off-Site - August 2008, Poly - February 2012 (First Family Trip!), GF - February 2014

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: