Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #256
JanaDee
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceylee View Post
So I hear previous posters talk about the rooms being 'worn'. Our upcoming trip will be the first time to stay at GF (my dream). But I worry about the room being worn and being disappointed. Will I be disappointed? I had originally booked Poly; but switched because of the construction. I booked a garden view room if that helps.
We switched to the GF for the same reasons you did. I sure hope I won't be disappointed in "worn" rooms.

For the price people pay per night to stay there, the rooms better not be worn!
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #257
MommyGina
DIS Veteran
 
MommyGina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 832

Hi BlueSkies-We like marina view. Have always stayed where the marina was our view. Some things are just hard to break away from. DS loves to sit on the balcony and look at the water. It's calming.

My request is 3rd floor, not dormer, marina view and away from the elevator.
__________________
DH , Me , DS (18) , DD (15)
MommyGina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #258
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer
 
chemnerd09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 405

I see some posts on the how worn the rooms were and I was wondering if this is in general or in specific buildings? We're going to be staying in the Main Building in December and I want to make sure I know what to expect. The outside of the resort is quite elegant and its been a while since we've stayed at the GF.
__________________
DVC member since 2013 with 24 years of WDW trips and counting
Next Trip: WL/BWV/CR Atrium/Dream/CR Atrium

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #259
lin7
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnerd09 View Post
I see some posts on the how worn the rooms were and I was wondering if this is in general or in specific buildings? We're going to be staying in the Main Building in December and I want to make sure I know what to expect. The outside of the resort is quite elegant and its been a while since we've stayed at the GF.
Two years ago, we stayed in Big Pine Key in March and Conch Key in December within in the same year. Big Pine Key was in really good condition and Conch Key seemed very worn down. This year we we stayed at Sugar Loaf and the room was in okay condition, so I think it could be the room you are given. Honestly we love GF, but really wished they would update the room, but the atmosphere and surroundings really makes for it. We are DVC members, and we always stay at GF despite out of pocket expense. That's how much we love it.
lin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #260
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran
 
grannyminnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,605

Ahcupcake, how are ya?

You too, Mickeynut, greetings!

Blue, I know I need a ticker!! I'll love you forever, if you make me one! I'll PM the info in a jiffy in case you can....
__________________
I'd live in the Castle if I could!

grannyminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #261
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,806

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
MickeyNut Am looking foward to your thougts after your holiday trip..You will have so many CL's to compare..
I'm getting excited....can't wait to try the CR and get back to the Poly . I'd like to try all of the club levels, but I haven't had any luck getting my DSs on board with going back to an Epcot resort.....limited CS options is a deal breaker for them, so unless I can get them to change their minds, we won't be going back to that side any time soon (which, I guess, is ok as the MK resort area is our favorite ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
You too, Mickeynut, greetings!
grannyminnie
__________________
Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #262
Jennygt
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,309

[QUOTE=BlueSkies;49438195]Oh you die hard Poly gals!! A stay at the GF just might turn you into die hard GF fans!??? You never know! I was a CR fan for years...until that very first stay at the GF..that was it!

LOL, I think that I am ok, will be hard sell for the guys, my brother just looked at it and asked me how they got our great aunts furniture and bedding, lol. I think the kids will love splash area.
__________________
me dh DD(2) ds (6)

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #263
adrianna_sarah
Mother of two curious little monkeys!
 
adrianna_sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Home is where the Army sends you.
Posts: 631

A few questions for the experts.

Hello! We have just booked our first GF reservation. We have outer building club level booked for July 6-13, 2014. Just a couple of questions, if someone has a minute...

Can a rollaway bed be brought into any room? I will have an 11 year old boy and a 7 year old girl next summer, and prefer that they not share a bed. I know that most rooms will have the daybed, but that a few of the dormer rooms do not. I try not to make room requests, as this seems to me to be the secret to getting upgraded (significantly... three of four Disney deluxe hotel stays), but always book the minimum that I will be happy with.

Are there any special candies or treats left in the rooms at night. We loved the taffy that was left on our pillows at night at the Beach Club and Boardwalk. Normally, I wouldn't give a second look to a piece of taffy in a candy store, but a beach themed resort, it seemed a perfect touch. Also loved the little cards with old movie quotes that were left on our beds at the Boardwalk. Anything like that at the Grand Floridian?

Lastly, I know that renovations are still speculative at this point, but does anyone know whether the 2007 renovation was a soft goods renovation only? I am sure that I read somewhere that the hotels get a soft goods renovation every six years and a full renovation every twelve. Either way, it sounds like we might be in a freshly renovated room. Will the other outlying buildings have already been renovated as well? Would love to have the grandparents join us, but doubt they will pay for CL.


Also, hello again to MouseMommy1. We were both hanging out on the Wilderness Lodge thread in 2012. My family had concerns about the construction that summer and the limited availability of bunk beds in CL, so we moved our reservation over to the Boardwalk. It was the right decision for us! Hope you had a great vacation, too.
__________________
1984 Disneyland, Feb 2002 WDW-SOG, Jan 2008 WDW-AKL & DCL-Magic Western, Dec 2008 DCL Wonder Christmas w/SOG & WL,
June 2010 DCL Magic Spain to UK Repo, Dec 2011 DCL Dream Christmas w/BC & SOG, Mar 2012 Carnival Magic, Jul 2012 WDW BW,
Oct 2013 VB and DCL Fantasy Western
adrianna_sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #264
MommyGina
DIS Veteran
 
MommyGina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 832

adrianna_sarah. I'm going to miss you by a few days in July. We check in July 15 to Sugar Loaf. I also have 2 children who CANNOT share a bed. DS sleeps on the day bed and loves it. Request that you DO NOT have a dormer room. This will guarantee that you have the day bed. I don't think the room size will accommodate a roll away bed.

Chocolate is left on the beds at night when housekeeping comes in for turn down service.

Sorry if I forgot to respond to any of your questions!
__________________
DH , Me , DS (18) , DD (15)
MommyGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #265
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianna_sarah View Post
Hello! We have just booked our first GF reservation. We have outer building club level booked for July 6-13, 2014. Just a couple of questions, if someone has a minute...

Can a rollaway bed be brought into any room? I will have an 11 year old boy and a 7 year old girl next summer, and prefer that they not share a bed. I know that most rooms will have the daybed, but that a few of the dormer rooms do not. I try not to make room requests, as this seems to me to be the secret to getting upgraded (significantly... three of four Disney deluxe hotel stays), but always book the minimum that I will be happy with.

Are there any special candies or treats left in the rooms at night. We loved the taffy that was left on our pillows at night at the Beach Club and Boardwalk. Normally, I wouldn't give a second look to a piece of taffy in a candy store, but a beach themed resort, it seemed a perfect touch. Also loved the little cards with old movie quotes that were left on our beds at the Boardwalk. Anything like that at the Grand Floridian?

Lastly, I know that renovations are still speculative at this point, but does anyone know whether the 2007 renovation was a soft goods renovation only? I am sure that I read somewhere that the hotels get a soft goods renovation every six years and a full renovation every twelve. Either way, it sounds like we might be in a freshly renovated room. Will the other outlying buildings have already been renovated as well? Would love to have the grandparents join us, but doubt they will pay for CL.


Also, hello again to MouseMommy1. We were both hanging out on the Wilderness Lodge thread in 2012. My family had concerns about the construction that summer and the limited availability of bunk beds in CL, so we moved our reservation over to the Boardwalk. It was the right decision for us! Hope you had a great vacation, too.


Glad everything worked out for you at BWI. That resort is definitely on our short list of resorts to try.

We ended up staying WL CL and had the most amazing, magical Disney stay ever. It was pure

For our trip next year, we have been booked at CR garden wing room, GF Sugarloaf, and currently AKL CL. (I am, and always have been, a chronic resort changer)

I am starting to think I should switch back to GF though....I don't think that DH and our girls are going to like the AKL CL offerings....

But, DH just keeps making fun of the "theme" of GF, calling it a fancy nursing home, etc...and I just don't want to listen to that the whole time.

I feel like we would end up loving it, but I just don't know. I haven't heard an argument persuasive enough yet to push me one way or another....and it's just sooooo easy to make switches....

It's a long time until August...
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD9) (DD7)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #266
adrianna_sarah
Mother of two curious little monkeys!
 
adrianna_sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Home is where the Army sends you.
Posts: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
adrianna_sarah. I'm going to miss you by a few days in July. We check in July 15 to Sugar Loaf. I also have 2 children who CANNOT share a bed. DS sleeps on the day bed and loves it. Request that you DO NOT have a dormer room. This will guarantee that you have the day bed. I don't think the room size will accommodate a roll away bed.

Chocolate is left on the beds at night when housekeeping comes in for turn down service.

Sorry if I forgot to respond to any of your questions!
Thanks for the info.

I wish that we could have waited for value season to roll around the next week, but we don't get a lot of choices when it comes to the hubby's vacation schedule.

When I made our reservation at the Boardwalk last year, I faced a similar situation. Most of the rooms have the daybed, but a few do not due to the angles of the resort. We had booked a CL room, and I just asked that we be assigned to a room with a daybed, explaining that I had a boy and a girl who were four years apart in age. They were able to honor that.
__________________
1984 Disneyland, Feb 2002 WDW-SOG, Jan 2008 WDW-AKL & DCL-Magic Western, Dec 2008 DCL Wonder Christmas w/SOG & WL,
June 2010 DCL Magic Spain to UK Repo, Dec 2011 DCL Dream Christmas w/BC & SOG, Mar 2012 Carnival Magic, Jul 2012 WDW BW,
Oct 2013 VB and DCL Fantasy Western
adrianna_sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #267
adrianna_sarah
Mother of two curious little monkeys!
 
adrianna_sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Home is where the Army sends you.
Posts: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post


Glad everything worked out for you at BWI. That resort is definitely on our short list of resorts to try.

We ended up staying WL CL and had the most amazing, magical Disney stay ever. It was pure

For our trip next year, we have been booked at CR garden wing room, GF Sugarloaf, and currently AKL CL. (I am, and always have been, a chronic resort changer)

I am starting to think I should switch back to GF though....I don't think that DH and our girls are going to like the AKL CL offerings....

But, DH just keeps making fun of the "theme" of GF, calling it a fancy nursing home, etc...and I just don't want to listen to that the whole time.

I feel like we would end up loving it, but I just don't know. I haven't heard an argument persuasive enough yet to push me one way or another....and it's just sooooo easy to make switches....

It's a long time until August...
We loved AKL, though we did not stay CL. I have heard that the CL offerings are fantastic. Our goal is to hit all of the deluxe resorts before we have a repeat. I know that I am a frou-frou resort person, and so far Boardwalk has been my favorite.

Good luck with your vacation plans. (Thankfully, my husband adopts more of a "if momma's happy..." attitude.)
__________________
1984 Disneyland, Feb 2002 WDW-SOG, Jan 2008 WDW-AKL & DCL-Magic Western, Dec 2008 DCL Wonder Christmas w/SOG & WL,
June 2010 DCL Magic Spain to UK Repo, Dec 2011 DCL Dream Christmas w/BC & SOG, Mar 2012 Carnival Magic, Jul 2012 WDW BW,
Oct 2013 VB and DCL Fantasy Western
adrianna_sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #268
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran
 
BlueSkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,861

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7 View Post
Two years ago, we stayed in Big Pine Key in March and Conch Key in December within in the same year. Big Pine Key was in really good condition and Conch Key seemed very worn down. This year we we stayed at Sugar Loaf and the room was in okay condition, so I think it could be the room you are given. Honestly we love GF, but really wished they would update the room, but the atmosphere and surroundings really makes for it. We are DVC members, and we always stay at GF despite out of pocket expense. That's how much we love it.
Well said lin7 ...

JanaDee and Tracylee While in need of a rehab..the rooms are still quite lovely..and as lin7 said the atmosphere and general surroundings are wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Ahcupcake, how are ya?

You too, Mickeynut, greetings!

Blue, I know I need a ticker!! I'll love you forever, if you make me one! I'll PM the info in a jiffy in case you can....


Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I'm getting excited....can't wait to try the CR and get back to the Poly . I'd like to try all of the club levels, but I haven't had any luck getting my DSs on board with going back to an Epcot resort.....limited CS options is a deal breaker for them, so unless I can get them to change their minds, we won't be going back to that side any time soon (which, I guess, is ok as the MK resort area is our favorite ).
Well I have an idea... When we go together again we can do a split stay..an Epcot resort..and the GF of course!!


[QUOTE=Jennygt;49452961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Oh you die hard Poly gals!! A stay at the GF just might turn you into die hard GF fans!??? You never know! I was a CR fan for years...until that very first stay at the GF..that was it!

LOL, I think that I am ok, will be hard sell for the guys, my brother just looked at it and asked me how they got our great aunts furniture and bedding, lol. I think the kids will love splash area.
Your brother sounds like a funny guy! Actually once you are in the room it has a very nice feel to it..bright..sunny..and the victorian(ish) ..lol.. decor is very welcoming...The childrens splash area is very cool...took a look last trip..and the little ones looked like they were having a great time! But..there is that bell on it...

MommyGina We are balcony sittters too..and also enjoy the third floor! Just across the hall!

adrianna sarah congrats on booking your very first trip to the GF! Cant remember if the furnishings in the room were changed one or two rehabs ago!!?? ...I do think the last one was when they changed the dresser/tv amoire...and added the desk...?? but..Im not quite sure.. As for turndown service..as MommyGina said they do leave chocolates..Yummy melt in your mouth Belgian chocolates!

k&a&c'smom Where ya been...Hopefully enjoying this nice long weekend!
__________________
~ DREAM BIG LIVE GRAND ~


BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #269
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,348

Ohhhhh, please let my family LOVE the Grand!!!

I have switched back to Sugarloaf from AKL CL. Taking a leap of faith! My gut tells me we are going to end up loving it!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD9) (DD7)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #270
trishadono
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 1,227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Ohhhhh, please let my family LOVE the Grand!!!

I have switched back to Sugarloaf from AKL CL. Taking a leap of faith! My gut tells me we are going to end up loving it!
As I usually say, the lounge is "flat" but the food is amazing

Dd would take scones back to the room for later too!

The building location is so convenient.

The CM's were nice.

They walked us directly to our room for check in from outside(we took cab from CBR ) . So much nicer than going to a desk! They also asked if we wanted to grab something from the lounge before going to the room.

I don't love the lounge space compared to awesome views from cr and poly lounges BUT the view from the balcony is so pretty(pool or marina) that taking stuff back to room is nice .

Dd and I enjoyed it so much I booked it for New Years Day for all 4 of us as a treat before our VGF days.

The food was so good and had something for everyone. Tea time at 2:30 is our favorite!!!!

However feel free to change your mind again. To me it's all good, can't go wrong with Disney
__________________


CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 19 16
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: