Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #241
imobsessedwithdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton View Post

funny you should ask, i couldn't remember very many but dh is gluten intolerant and could not eat any of them, so he (painfully) remembers every single one! lol!

last week they had egg rolls, bacon wrapped chicken sausage, spanakopita, two kinds of chicken- one was like a sweet and sour and the other was more of a buffalo something, brie and cranberry in phyllo (my fave), and turkey wellington. actually, that is only seven so i am missing one. oh, and in addition to the two hot offerings one night, they also had mini corndogs. they were incredible. true story- i tried one and loved it so much, that i later went back and got three more, and loudly announced to my friend in front of the CL staff that i was taking them back to the room for ds. but i was completely lying. they were all mine.
Haha, about the corndogs! Thanks for the info! I was curious bc I'm a vegetarian and didn't know if they offered much in that way.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #242
vernema
Far from FL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernema View Post
Woohoo, a new thread! Thanks for doing this! I've been lurking on the last one reading whatever I can find. We're considering GF for May 2014, since the Poly construction is so up in the air. First time at GF, other than Citricos for dinner.

Can some of you knowledgeable gurus post a summary of what is/isn't under construction at this point at GF, and how you think that would affect guests in the various buildings? We'll have our DD7 with us and would love advice on non-CL quieter room/bldg choices. We would prefer not to hear the 2am boat horns or the band playing all night.

Also, where to find Mickey Waffles for breakfast? ahem..for my DD, of course...
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

WDW1979, WDL1997, Poly2011

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #243
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Also cheese and crackers are available along with raw vegetables. There is also grilled squash and zucchini. Asparagus is offered as well. I can't remember what time of day that was put out. I know before dinner though.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #244
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Hello from the Grand!!

It's a beautiful morning here. Sun is shining and it's pretty quiet down on the boat dock.

So far, we have unfortunately, not had the best of trips. Nothing major, just a lot of little things that have happened that equals not the best experience. When we checked in, everything I had requested was ignored and I had the exact opposite. Having to ask to move and get that straight doesn't start you off on a magical journey.

We were finally given the room number I had originally requested on my reservation made back in December. And while I realize that it's only a request, never a guarantee, we have always been given exactly what we asked for upon check in. The hotel was operating at 37% capacity on Friday night as well, so that was not the reason requests weren't met.

As many of you know, I am a Grand lover thru and thru, but I have to say she is in need of repair. The room I am in (our favorite room we have stayed in twice now, btw) is beaten up. The furniture is terribly scratched; bare wood is showing thru in a large chunk on the dresser. That said, it is very very clean. Just shabby. Not what I have experienced in the past.

The courtyard pool as of yesterday is closed. I just found out that a drain pipe burst underneath and so they are having to drain the entire pool, fix it and refill it. Concierge could not tell me when it would be open again. Sorry for those whom are checking in in the next few days. It's very disappointing to me. It's little things like that, that keep occurring to cause me to say this isn't the best trip we've had.

That said, we are heading out to Epcot later-- crowds are not bad at all.

I have pictures, but can't for the life of me get photobucket to cooperate, so I will wait to upload them until I have more time.

I will be back with more updates later in the week. If anyone has any questions I'll try to find the answers!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #245
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Hi JoBird! Sorry to hear about the room. I noticed too that our room was a bit run down. I have already sent in my room request for next July and was told that it might not be honored.

Sorry that the CY pool is closed. It was just redone!!! Have fun at Epcot today. Would love to hear about your travels.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #246
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
Hello from the Grand!!

It's a beautiful morning here. Sun is shining and it's pretty quiet down on the boat dock.

So far, we have unfortunately, not had the best of trips. Nothing major, just a lot of little things that have happened that equals not the best experience. When we checked in, everything I had requested was ignored and I had the exact opposite. Having to ask to move and get that straight doesn't start you off on a magical journey.

We were finally given the room number I had originally requested on my reservation made back in December. And while I realize that it's only a request, never a guarantee, we have always been given exactly what we asked for upon check in. The hotel was operating at 37% capacity on Friday night as well, so that was not the reason requests weren't met.

As many of you know, I am a Grand lover thru and thru, but I have to say she is in need of repair. The room I am in (our favorite room we have stayed in twice now, btw) is beaten up. The furniture is terribly scratched; bare wood is showing thru in a large chunk on the dresser. That said, it is very very clean. Just shabby. Not what I have experienced in the past.

The courtyard pool as of yesterday is closed. I just found out that a drain pipe burst underneath and so they are having to drain the entire pool, fix it and refill it. Concierge could not tell me when it would be open again. Sorry for those whom are checking in in the next few days. It's very disappointing to me. It's little things like that, that keep occurring to cause me to say this isn't the best trip we've had.

I have pictures, but can't for the life of me get photobucket to cooperate, so I will wait to upload them until I have more time.

I will be back with more updates later in the week. If anyone has any questions I'll try to find the answers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Hi JoBird! Sorry to hear about the room. I noticed too that our room was a bit run down. I have already sent in my room request for next July and was told that it might not be honored.

Sorry that the CY pool is closed. It was just redone!!! Have fun at Epcot today. Would love to hear about your travels.
Hopefully the rumored room refurbs (say that 3 times fast...) will take care of the issues you noticed.

JoBird I hope the rest of your trip is super magical.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #247
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

JoBird i was so sad reading your post! i hate it when that happens, as we have had trips like that, too. i have also had nothing but bad experiences with the GF front desk staff in the lobby, i am so sorry to hear that getting the room you wanted was such an ordeal. i hope that something magical happens soon to turn things around. truth be told, most our recent visit started off as a disaster (long story and i don't even want to get into it, it was during our first few days at BC before the GF), but things improved dramatically ; i hope the same for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobsessedwithdisney View Post
Haha, about the corndogs! Thanks for the info! I was curious bc I'm a vegetarian and didn't know if they offered much in that way.
well, why didn't you just say that, silly! dd is a vegetarian and i can tell you that kid never went hungry. the spanakopita and the brie were the only two that were vegetarian in the four nights that we stayed. but there were lots of other things she could eat. almost all of the breakfast items are vegetarian, midday snacks were chips/ dips/ crackers/ breadsticks and assorted veggies (carrots, celery, squash, asparagus, broccoli and cherry tomatoes), the stuff they out put with scones was all vegetarian, and in the evening they had all the veggies again, cheese and crackers, and often one of the cold offerings was vegetarian. i remember that the night we left they had the signs up already for the evening offerings and one was veggie sushi roll.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #248
imobsessedwithdisney
Mouseketeer

well, why didn't you just say that, silly! dd is a vegetarian and i can tell you that kid never went hungry. the spanakopita and the brie were the only two that were vegetarian in the four nights that we stayed. but there were lots of other things she could eat. almost all of the breakfast items are vegetarian, midday snacks were chips/ dips/ crackers/ breadsticks and assorted veggies (carrots, celery, squash, asparagus, broccoli and cherry tomatoes), the stuff they out put with scones was all vegetarian, and in the evening they had all the veggies again, cheese and crackers, and often one of the cold offerings was vegetarian. i remember that the night we left they had the signs up already for the evening offerings and one was veggie sushi roll.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the info! I'm so excited. Our first 4 nights is at RPC then our last 5 nights is at BC CL. I can't wait!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #249
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

JoBird, I'm so sorry your trip has started off like this

The rooms do need some fixing!!!! We thought the same thing . I hope the rest of your trip is extra magical with extra pixie dust!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #250
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

Hi JoBird, I hope you have a magical day at Epcot! I'm sorry to hear about the Courtyard Pool; hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

Have fun and smile you're at DW!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #251
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Is there a big difference in standard vs. deluxe queen?

I have to rooms reserved for December. One of them is a standard with a Lagoon view. The other is a queen deluxe with a garden view.

My parents will be staying in the standard room with my five year old.

My husband and I will stay in the queen deluxe with our three year old twins.

My question(s) are do the queen deluxe rooms give us added room that is worth wild or is it simply a sofa and chair? Does the sofa pull out into a bed? Also, is there room in the deluxe room to put a roll away bed in there?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to forego the deluxe room and just get another standard if there isn't more room where I can separate the twins if there is an issue at night....

I saw the picture of the deluxe room posted on the first page of this thread and it looked awesome however, I'm now seeing other pictures and they don't look as big. I have to wonder if the picture of the queen deluxe on the first page of this thread is a suite.....

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #252
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
mickeynut, i LOVE the poly. as a resort overall, it is my favorite, even a little more than GF. if i had to pick between a standard room at GF or at poly, i would choose poly (although i would pick GF RPC over anything, anywhere!). with that said.... do not get your hopes up about their CL. the CL staff were awful, i mean truly miserable, eye-rolling, annoyed people who seemed to detest all of us. A simple question (I don't even remember what it was, but it was super simple, like, which way to the monorail?) elicited a sigh, an eye roll, and a sneer. the food offerings were several steps below GF in quality and ALSO quantity. i felt like we were all vultures pouncing on every bite. there was so little to be had and not a lot of replenishing, and a LOT of guests there even in "off" season. and there were constantly kids running wild in the lounge, with their parents not even attempting to get them to them to settle down. we recently also stayed CL at BC and while their offerings were comparable to Poly CL, their staff at least were delightful and for the most part, other guests were not disruptive. So I am comparing it to not only GF but also BC.

with all that said, did i hate poly CL? no. i liked the building location, i LOVED the castle view from the lounge, and despite the fact that the food situation basically sucked, i do enjoy the convenience of having the mediocre-at-best food available, particularly during breakfast. it is not completely out of the question that if we got a good rate, we would possibly stay CL there again for those reasons alone. but to compare it to GF, it is in a whole different league. i would say it is like comparing a value resort to a deluxe.
Thanks so much for your input . We've stayed at the Poly and LOVE it (it's also our favorite resort ), and I am excited to try CL there. Honestly, I'm not expecting to like it better than RPC, but I'm hoping it comes close. We have stayed RPC, SL, & WL CL and for me, WL CL comes in at a very close second to RPC. I'm hoping to add Poly CL to that "close to first" spot, so we'll see come December. We are only there 2 nights after our cruise right before Christmas (we fly home Christmas Eve) so I know it will be super busy, but hopefully I can still can get a good idea of how it is. Thanks again .

Quote:
Hello from the Grand!!

I'm sorry your trip has been less than magical so far. I do agree, though, that the rooms are in need of a refurb. Rumor has it that a refurb is coming soon, so hopefully it does take place . I hope your trip turns around and you have a great time from here on out.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 09-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #253
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
BlueSkies I can speak to this somewhat. I can't believe I didn't take a pic of the beach area. At least, I don't think I did... I will check. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the beach area. While it is certainly not what it was, it was pretty and bigger than i expected. The children's play area is right behind it but it was nowhere near as obnoxious or loud as I had expected. They built a lovely fire pit with permanent seating around it. So, left to right, starting near the summerhouse, you have a nice stretch of beach with chaises, then to the right of it is the fire pit, and then the pool bar with a nice, ample area with tables and chairs. Past that to the right is more beach next to the beach pool. We spent a few hours out there with friends one night and it had great ambience and was very uncrowded every time we looked out there. I am pretty sure that all the "beach" walls were already down.
Thanks bethclayton for that info! that is good news ..I love those little spots here and there that you can sit relax and be removed from any hustle bustle..and the GF beach was always one of those places...

Quote:
Hi, I thought I read somewhere that if staying RPC you also had access to the lounge in SL. Is that correct? Also is the Alice water play area close to the main building? Thanks!
As others have said...with the old key system you were able to access SL if you were staying RPC..on our spring trip I too tried to acess SL..wanted to take some pics..maybe grab a cold beverage??? .is that CL hopping??? will I get flamed.... JK!!..this is a friendly place...but..No access..I think this is due to the new updated key system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
The GF is amazing, but anytime I have stayed there, I did miss the Poly. I do love RPC though and I can't wait to try Poly CL in December and compare the two. I am also looking forward to our CR stay. We have never stayed there as the theme/decor has never appealed to any of us, but my DH wants to try it, so I booked it .
MickeyNut Am looking foward to your thougts after your holiday trip..You will have so many CL's to compare..

Quote:
funny you should ask, i couldn't remember very many but dh is gluten intolerant and could not eat any of them, so he (painfully) remembers every single one! lol!

last week they had egg rolls, bacon wrapped chicken sausage, spanakopita, two kinds of chicken- one was like a sweet and sour and the other was more of a buffalo something, brie and cranberry in phyllo (my fave), and turkey wellington. actually, that is only seven so i am missing one. oh, and in addition to the two hot offerings one night, they also had mini corndogs. they were incredible. true story- i tried one and loved it so much, that i later went back and got three more, and loudly announced to my friend in front of the CL staff that i was taking them back to the room for ds. but i was completely lying. they were all mine.
Lots of good food offerings! Im getting hungry! Just a suggestion..you can always mention that your DH is gluten intolerant..and they will probably be able to have a few extra offerings that he can eat..LOl on the corn dog comment..I've had them too...so delicious!!

Quote:
No worries imobsessed..there are always lots of fresh and grilled veggies...and other food offerings that would suit a vegetarian diet...midday..late afternoon..let me just say the scones..and the triffle are word taking a midday park break for...and in the evening too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernema View Post
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Quote:
Hello from the Grand!!

JoBird sorry to hear that you had a bumpy start to your trip........ sounds like you are not letting it ruin your overall vacation tho!! I agree with you about the conditions of the furnishings in the rooms these days...our dresser had a big chunk of wood missing from the bottom moulding..as for the room assignment... I understand the "just a request" reasoning..but we too have almost always been assigned the room that we requested...Just curious..did you do online check in??

Hope that rest of your stay is absolutely wonderful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith1 View Post
I have to rooms reserved for December. One of them is a standard with a Lagoon view. The other is a queen deluxe with a garden view.

My question(s) are do the queen deluxe rooms give us added room that is worth wild or is it simply a sofa and chair? Does the sofa pull out into a bed? Also, is there room in the deluxe room to put a roll away bed in there?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to forego the deluxe room and just get another standard if there isn't more room where I can separate the twins if there is an issue at night....

I saw the picture of the deluxe room posted on the first page of this thread and it looked awesome however, I'm now seeing other pictures and they don't look as big. I have to wonder if the picture of the queen deluxe on the first page of this thread is a suite.....
The deluxe room has a nice bit of extra space IMO...it is the size of a standard room with the addition of a turret bump out...in that bump out area there is a love seat, chair, coffee table and a tv amoire...in addition that area is all windows..so its a nice bright space ...I dont think that those rooms are generally connected to another room..not sure on that tho... have only stayed in the one in SL...I also believe that this room does not have a day bed..and the sofa is not a pull out..but I do think there is room for a roll away...hopefully someone who has stayed in one recently will be along to better answer this...

I believe that all of the deluxe rooms are GV...so with rooms in both of those room categories Im sure that you can have rooms that across the hall from each other...I would ask for that to be noted in my ressie...

HTH...

mommygina Sounds like you are prepared for next summers trip! What is your preference in SL..CY view or marina view...?? Although both lovely..I really like the view of the CY pool...

Happy Sunday GF fans... Hope that everyone is enjoying this nice long weekend!

Last edited by BlueSkies; 09-01-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #254
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Is there a big difference in standard vs. deluxe queen?

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #255
Traceylee
Mouseketeer

So I hear previous posters talk about the rooms being 'worn'. Our upcoming trip will be the first time to stay at GF (my dream). But I worry about the room being worn and being disappointed. Will I be disappointed? I had originally booked Poly; but switched because of the construction. I booked a garden view room if that helps.

11/02-POFQ * 7/04-Disneyland/PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF

NEXT: AKL/NOV '14
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: