Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #2161
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamingInMI View Post
I'm excited because we are going the first week of February and we requested Conch Key a few weeks ago at online check-in! I'd love to end up in one of the newly remodeled rooms!
Well it appears we will be there the same time! I'm booked through Deloitte Tax as I'm attending a conference they are putting on and staying a couple of extra days (okay 5 extra). This trip, I have no idea where I'm staying as Deloitte handles the hotel -- does anyone know where conventioners are put (that's what my "tickets" say -- I'm a conventioner and have discounted convention rate tickets. Basically, it is a total opposite of my normal book it all through Disney. Even the Magical Express has to be booked a special way!

Tom
Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #2162
DisneyDreamingInMI
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
Well it appears we will be there the same time! I'm booked through Deloitte Tax as I'm attending a conference they are putting on and staying a couple of extra days (okay 5 extra). This trip, I have no idea where I'm staying as Deloitte handles the hotel -- does anyone know where conventioners are put (that's what my "tickets" say -- I'm a conventioner and have discounted convention rate tickets. Basically, it is a total opposite of my normal book it all through Disney. Even the Magical Express has to be booked a special way!

Tom
How exciting! I hope you have a wonderful trip!!! What a great opportunity to spend some extra days at Disney. Will this be your first stay at the Grand Floridian?

Let's hope for some nice, warm weather! I can't take many more days of white-knuckled drives through the snow, ice, and slush to take my boys to school. Ugh!

CBR - March 1997, CBR - May 2004, Off-Site - August 2008, Poly - February 2012 (First Family Trip!), GF - February 2014

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #2163
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

I will say this in a tongue and cheek manner -- unfortunately no, it isn't my first stay at the GF! As I found out, once you stay at the Grand it ruins you for all other properties!

I agree on the snow and single digit days. However, I'm being cautious regarding the Grand as my last trip there, we were forced to stay an extra 4 days due to Superstorm Sandy battering the East coast -- sad to say we did come home to the first floor of our beach house covered in the remants of 3 feet of ocean having been in it, but we rebuilt better than ever and if I do have to be stranded somewhere, the Grand is fine by me -- they were exceptionally helpful with us.

Tom
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #2164
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will say this in a tongue and cheek manner -- unfortunately no, it isn't my first stay at the GF! As I found out, once you stay at the Grand it ruins you for all other properties!

Tom
Sooo true!

I remember your Sandy experience, I'm glad you have recovered. WDW is a great place to be stranded, if you must.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #2165
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
So true! Besides the obvious here......I am currently lurking over on BWI, WL(for the VWL), and CBR for the refurb info....you know...just in case(that's my excuse anyway)

Yes.....the CR soft goods refurb included "cheese wheel" pillows on the bed (or they could be seen as yellow eyeballs with the bed runner as the mouth...haha) and the hallway carpet looks like it has fried eggs on it! Very bizarre looking.
Why didn't they make those yellow pillows bolsters?? Would have looked much better IMO.
I just checked out the room photos and got a good laugh! It turned into a belly laugh when I got to the fried eggs on the carpet, your description is so apt! Bolsters would have been much better than the wheels, I agree - the round pillows don't go with the overall feel.

I've never been a fan of the CR decor over the years. Lately, it is at least more of a neutral, like so many urban hotels, but still not my cup of tea. Not surprising, given my favorite resort.

Shocking as this will be to you all, I mourn the loss of the Disney look. I know I'm in a minority but I don't want the WDW hotels to look like hotels in Any City, USA. I'm not looking for sophistication in a Disney hotel, I'm looking for fun and whimsy. Comfort, of course!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 01-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #2166
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Sooo true!

I remember your Sandy experience, I'm glad you have recovered. WDW is a great place to be stranded, if you must.
Thanks so much! The place ended up 100 times better than we originally had == insurance covered about 1/4 of it as we decided to upgrade everything. My personal favorite touch is the seaglass backsplash we did (yes, did ourselves as in ME and my sister) -- it is pieces of blue and white seaglass -- we had enough to do both the area behind the stove and the entire space by the sink. If I knew how to post pictures I would!

Tom
Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #2167
AmyKat
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Tom
I'm going for the same conference. Have you been to this conference before? Two of my coworkers have been but this is my first time.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #2168
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKat View Post
I'm going for the same conference. Have you been to this conference before? Two of my coworkers have been but this is my first time.
I have not been to this one before - I used to go to either NYU or Georgetown. I'm getting my LLM in the Georgetown State and Local program right now, but when I saw the agenda I signed up -- we have had several transactions this year and there were a couple of breakouts that were 100% on point. I have one of the guys that works with me going to. He is getting in on Sunday and flying out Friday -- I'm going in Tuesday and flying out Sunday.

Tom
Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #2169
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
I got my magic bands today! 29 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
We leave for the GF in exactly ONE week (eek!) and are so excited. I'm praying to the weather gods for heat, although it will be better than CT regardless!! At what point do you guys usually trust the Florida forecast? It seems to change every hour. Can't wait to share our GF experiences with all of you!

As nuts as it sounds, I'm most excited for that first moment when we hear the MK train and SSL boat horns from the GF grounds.
Be prepared maria..this time of year the weather can really vary...we are 3 weeks out..I look a the Lake Buana Vista weather forecasts daily but don't finalize what I am packing until about 5 days before hand.... single digits... the next week will fly by...

Quote:
I know some of us have been wondering about the room renovation dates and details. I just saw this on EasyWDW (1/9/14) so I thought I would share:

"Speaking of the Grand Floridian, its rooms will be seeing a minor refurbishment from early 2014 through the end of July. Disruption should be minimal to nonexistent for most guests. All rooms will receive all-new carpet and wallpaper. The Conch Key building began January 5th. Boca Chica begins February 4th; Big Pine Key begins March 9th; Sago Key begins April 27; Sugar Loaf begins June 1; and the main building begins June 29."
Thanks for the info...enjoy reading Josh's site..lots of good info...including his crowd calendar and touring recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
YAY!!!! Very happy to hear. Now if we can get those sleuths onsite to take some covert pics to post here on the DIS I love the anticipation of the first pics of refurbed rooms. It is so exciting to see who gets the first snapshots uploaded and the unveiling of the new look. Just hope they don't have anything as weird as those cheese wheels and fried eggs like the CR got

Must write a note to myself to keep vigilante watch over this thread around the first of February when Conch may start taking the first guests in the new rooms.....
.... lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Yay! Confirmed that SL will be done by the time we check in on July 15!

Hi all my friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
The forecast changes so much it can make your head spin

We just got back and this is January weather we had. 1/1 at arrival at 10pm was very foggy/ couldn't see across 7 seas lagoon.
1/2 75 and more shorts and t shirts even in evening.
1/3 65 and wore a sweater and jeans and it rained a little and I had an umbrella in my purse.
1/4 50 and wore a long sleeve shirt, sweater, vest and gloves and boots and still cold it not too bad.
1/5 80 and finally got my swimsuit on and sat in hot tub at CR( we moved )
1/6 60 but chilly wore long sleeve t and sweater.
1/7 45 even colder than 1/4

So check and be prepared. I brought it all and for the first time I actually used it. For gloves I just had my vera Bradley fleece. You just don't want to have to buy the $8 gloves they have!

Also I did get a smitch of sun burn so be careful.

You will probably get the good weather so enjoy!
That sure is a big variation in weather!! Sounds like you were totally prepared tho...

Curious....what your thoughts are on CL in comparison to VGF??

k&a&c'smom I couldnt agree more about the loss of the Disney look...my fave rehab of the rooms was the one before the curent one..so whimsical and warm...and Disney!

mickeynut What are the current plans for your next WDW trip....?? Is it CR ...Poly ( I know you love that place! ) of the GF.. ( You know I love that place..LOL..) ...

grannieminnie Since you haven't been around..I am thinking that you are visiting with your family..hope that you have a good visit..especially with your mom...

So exciting to know that the refurbs have begun... Now I am thinking that we are going to "need" a fall trip to check everything out...Wonder what the current bounce back is???

Fast Pass Plus Question Hope someone knows the answer to this right here on this thread..?? .DD and I have our park passes..planning on purchasing DHs once we arrive...will we just be able to sync our FPP times??

Wishing all of my fellow GF fans a fabulous Friday!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #2170
AmyKat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have not been to this one before - I used to go to either NYU or Georgetown. I'm getting my LLM in the Georgetown State and Local program right now, but when I saw the agenda I signed up -- we have had several transactions this year and there were a couple of breakouts that were 100% on point. I have one of the guys that works with me going to. He is getting in on Sunday and flying out Friday -- I'm going in Tuesday and flying out Sunday.

Tom
Talked to both of my coworkers. They have both been two times before (not together). Each of them had one year in Conch Key and one year in Boca Chica. They have also both said that it is a great class (which is why my company is sending someone for the 5th year in a row). I am the tax manager for an international company that files in about 45 states, consolidated in a lot. I'm excited about the topics but not sure how well I will be able to concentrate knowing my DH and kids are in the parks having fun (or having a meltdown).

We fly in on Wednesday and fly out the next Wednesday.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #2171
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know some of us have been wondering about the room renovation dates and details. I just saw this on EasyWDW (1/9/14) so I thought I would share:

"Speaking of the Grand Floridian, its rooms will be seeing a minor refurbishment from early 2014 through the end of July. Disruption should be minimal to nonexistent for most guests. All rooms will receive all-new carpet and wallpaper. The Conch Key building began January 5th. Boca Chica begins February 4th; Big Pine Key begins March 9th; Sago Key begins April 27; Sugar Loaf begins June 1; and the main building begins June 29."
Thanks for posting this information .

Quote:
I'm excited because we are going the first week of February and we requested Conch Key a few weeks ago at online check-in! I'd love to end up in one of the newly remodeled rooms!
Fingers crossed for you getting a refurbed room .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Yay! Confirmed that SL will be done by the time we check in on July 15!

Hi all my friends!

Quote:
Me, too - maddening, isn't it?!

Missouri weather is mercurial, too, we never trust any forecast! Whatever they say, we scoff until it hits us in the face!
It sure is .

My DH has relatives in Missouri so I know how crazy that weather can be too . We do the same thing when forecasts first come out. We make ourselves believe it won't be as bad as they say and then we get blindsided .

Quote:
WDW is a great place to be stranded, if you must.
I agree .

Quote:
Shocking as this will be to you all, I mourn the loss of the Disney look. I know I'm in a minority but I don't want the WDW hotels to look like hotels in Any City, USA. I'm not looking for sophistication in a Disney hotel, I'm looking for fun and whimsy. Comfort, of course!
I'm right there with you. As much as I love them doing updates and having a nice new room, I hate seeing a lot of the Disney touches going away. I can't wait to stay in a new room at the Poly, but it makes me kind of sad because IMO, they took away the tropical feel that rooms had by replacing the dark browns and oranges with lighter tones like mint green .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies
mickeynut What are the current plans for your next WDW trip....?? Is it CR ...Poly ( I know you love that place! ) of the GF.. ( You know I love that place..LOL..) ...
Nothing is set in stone, but for our December trip, it looks like it will be CR CL and Poly CL for pre and post cruise stays. Also, if I can make it work around everything we have going on this spring and summer, we may go for a short 4 night resort only stay, either end of May/beginning of June or end of July/beginning of August. That stay (if we go) will most likely be AKL CL. We love AKL and I have heard nothing but great things about its CL, so I know that would be a great resort for a no parks trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #2172
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much! The place ended up 100 times better than we originally had == insurance covered about 1/4 of it as we decided to upgrade everything. My personal favorite touch is the seaglass backsplash we did (yes, did ourselves as in ME and my sister) -- it is pieces of blue and white seaglass -- we had enough to do both the area behind the stove and the entire space by the sink. If I knew how to post pictures I would!

Tom
It sounds beautiful, I love sea glass. If you would like to post photos, you will need to make an account and upload them to a photo hosting website, like Photobucket. I think there is a hosting area here on the DIS, but I haven't checked it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post

Thanks for the info...enjoy reading Josh's site..lots of good info...including his crowd calendar and touring recommendations!

k&a&c'smom I couldnt agree more about the loss of the Disney look...my fave rehab of the rooms was the one before the curent one..so whimsical and warm...and Disney!

So exciting to know that the refurbs have begun... Now I am thinking that we are going to "need" a fall trip to check everything out...Wonder what the current bounce back is???

Hope someone can answer your FP+ question, I have no idea. I'm falling so far behind!

I don't know how long I'll moan about the loss of the previous decor. It was the best, I agree. LOL about needing another trip to check things out - I was thinking the same thing.

Josh's site is great and he makes me laugh. I loved the recent post about the removal of the train station banner - hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post

It sure is .

My DH has relatives in Missouri so I know how crazy that weather can be too . We do the same thing when forecasts first come out. We make ourselves believe it won't be as bad as they say and then we get blindsided .

I'm right there with you. As much as I love them doing updates and having a nice new room, I hate seeing a lot of the Disney touches going away. I can't wait to stay in a new room at the Poly, but it makes me kind of sad because IMO, they took away the tropical feel that rooms had by replacing the dark browns and oranges with lighter tones like mint green .

Nothing is set in stone, but for our December trip, it looks like it will be CR CL and Poly CL for pre and post cruise stays. Also, if I can make it work around everything we have going on this spring and summer, we may go for a short 4 night resort only stay, either end of May/beginning of June or end of July/beginning of August. That stay (if we go) will most likely be AKL CL. We love AKL and I have heard nothing but great things about its CL, so I know that would be a great resort for a no parks trip .
Oh, what part of MO? You may have mentioned it already - but as I said, old brain.

Yeah, I don't get the mint green at the Poly, either. I know I've said this ad nauseum, but I wish they had used some of the same prints that were in the suites. You know, from the last refurb? I didn't love the orange/brown/blue bedspread in the regular rooms, but the other fabrics were nice, with the orange and green floral, or the blue and white batik, with the darker wood tones. They had even more of this type of print in the suites. I so wish they had stuck with that scheme.~sigh~

AKL CL is Uh-MAZING!! It was better when you could get a room on the 6th floor (all DVC now, for anyone wondering) but it's still wonderful even with the hike from 4th floor Arusha. You're gonna love it!

PS - sorry, I should have added a caveat to my previous statement about CR for all my CR-loving friends. We love visiting the resort and having dinner, shopping, etc. Just not a big fan of the room decor.

Now, so the whole post isn't off topic - a photo of our beloved Grand.

Veranda, outside GF Cafe:
Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #2173
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
The forecast changes so much it can make your head spin

We just got back and this is January weather we had. 1/1 at arrival at 10pm was very foggy/ couldn't see across 7 seas lagoon.
1/2 75 and more shorts and t shirts even in evening.
1/3 65 and wore a sweater and jeans and it rained a little and I had an umbrella in my purse.
1/4 50 and wore a long sleeve shirt, sweater, vest and gloves and boots and still cold it not too bad.
1/5 80 and finally got my swimsuit on and sat in hot tub at CR( we moved )
1/6 60 but chilly wore long sleeve t and sweater.
1/7 45 even colder than 1/4

So check and be prepared. I brought it all and for the first time I actually used it. For gloves I just had my vera Bradley fleece. You just don't want to have to buy the $8 gloves they have!

Also I did get a smitch of sun burn so be careful.

You will probably get the good weather so enjoy!
Wow! That really is nuts. And thank you for the clothing descriptions as well. Very helpful! The forecast showed highs in the low 70s last night and now it's showing highs in the low 60s for the entire weekend so far. I really hope that trend will change upward again!

Quote:
I'm so excited for you! One week, woohoo!! I don't think it sounds nuts at all, we love to hear the MK sounds as soon as we arrive. Makes it official - we're in the World.~sigh~

I don't really trust the forecast until the day before we leave, but I keep up with it starting 10 days out. It may change, but it gives a general idea of the trend, so I can decide whether to pack my normal FL gear or add the kitchen sink.

As trisha said, I nearly always pack some light gloves for all the winter months - even when it is 60s in the daytime, the cooler evening temps can give a chill. DD and I were waiting for Illuminations one December evening and our hands got soooo cold from the breeze off the water. Now I have some cheap stretch gloves I keep with the toiletries bag.
Thank you so much, k&a&c'smom! I largely have you to thank for my feeling so prepared for our GF stay. And we will definitely plan on bringing a pair of gloves (and probably hats too) in case! I will definitely be stalking the weather forecast up to the second we take off. Really hoping it will be warmer than forecast right now!

Quote:

I agree on the snow and single digit days. However, I'm being cautious regarding the Grand as my last trip there, we were forced to stay an extra 4 days due to Superstorm Sandy battering the East coast -- sad to say we did come home to the first floor of our beach house covered in the remants of 3 feet of ocean having been in it, but we rebuilt better than ever and if I do have to be stranded somewhere, the Grand is fine by me -- they were exceptionally helpful with us.

Tom
So true about the GF spoiling you! And I just wanted to write that I am so happy to read that you were able to bounce back from Sandy as quickly as you have. I remember your story as well and, living close by on the water in CT, can definitely relate. We were extremely lucky to only have damage to our dock, but were definitely among the worst roads damage-wise in our town. Here's hoping it will be a long time until the next storm rolls in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post

Be prepared maria..this time of year the weather can really vary...we are 3 weeks out..I look a the Lake Buana Vista weather forecasts daily but don't finalize what I am packing until about 5 days before hand.... single digits... the next week will fly by...

Thank you for the warning, BlueSkies! We were at WDW in January last year and just wore a sweater with closed toed shoes most evenings (tee and pants in the middle of the day)-- but it was almost always a high of 70 every day during that trip, so no heavy duty winter wear required. Might need to bring more of that this year in case!

Usually the time drags so slowly for me before a trip, but I must say work being so busy this week (and likely next week too) has made the time fly! So excited to board that flight down to FL and leave work behind for a few days.

And a very happy Friday to you too! I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Sounds like a great combo, mickeynut1! I am curious about AKL CL as well, so looking forward to (hopefully) reading your report soon and living vicariously through you!

Quote:

Love the pic, k&a&c'smom!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 01-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #2174
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, what part of MO? You may have mentioned it already - but as I said, old brain.

Yeah, I don't get the mint green at the Poly, either. I know I've said this ad nauseum, but I wish they had used some of the same prints that were in the suites. You know, from the last refurb? I didn't love the orange/brown/blue bedspread in the regular rooms, but the other fabrics were nice, with the orange and green floral, or the blue and white batik, with the darker wood tones. They had even more of this type of print in the suites. I so wish they had stuck with that scheme.~sigh~

AKL CL is Uh-MAZING!! It was better when you could get a room on the 6th floor (all DVC now, for anyone wondering) but it's still wonderful even with the hike from 4th floor Arusha. You're gonna love it!

PS - sorry, I should have added a caveat to my previous statement about CR for all my CR-loving friends. We love visiting the resort and having dinner, shopping, etc. Just not a big fan of the room decor.

DH's uncle lives in Florissant and his one cousin and her family live in Hazelwood and the son lives close by there too but I can't remember just what town.

I totally agree about the Poly. I didn't care for those bedspreads, but they could have changed all of that and still kept the dark colors .

Thanks for your input on AKL . I wish they still had regular rooms on the CL floor just for the convenience of accessing the lounge, but I'm thinking it won't be too bad. I think the biggest inconvenience will be going up to the lounge from the pool, but the WL lounge is on the 7th floor and we didn't mind going up there from the pool, so it will probably be fine . I'm hoping we can make that trip work as I really want to try CL there.

As far as the CR, we don't really care for the overall atmosphere as it resembles your average hotel with all of the concrete, but I really would like to try CL as it gets pretty good reviews. If we book there it will only be for 2 nights before or after our cruise as I don't think I'd be able to stay there for a week or more.

Thanks for posting the GF pic. The GF is just lovely from anywhere on the grounds .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 01-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #2175
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

I'm thinking of requesting Conch marina side? Are these considered GV? And could we see the monorail perhaps as well? :-)
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: