Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #2146
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I've missed all of you, too.

LOL about the snooping - looking forward to your results.

I'm tagging onto your shout out to everyone, I hope you all are having a great week and staying warm.
Hello to you too, BlueSkies and k&a&c'smom! I hope you both are doing great. k&a&c'smom- I'm so glad to hear that you had a great time spending the holidays with your kids, but totally understand how tough it must feel immediately after they leave. Hopefully you will all be together again very soon!

We leave for the GF in exactly ONE week (eek!) and are so excited. I'm praying to the weather gods for heat, although it will be better than CT regardless!! At what point do you guys usually trust the Florida forecast? It seems to change every hour. Can't wait to share our GF experiences with all of you!

As nuts as it sounds, I'm most excited for that first moment when we hear the MK train and SSL boat horns from the GF grounds.
GF- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF- December 2011, AKL & GF- February 2007, BWI- February 2006, AKL- February 2005, Polynesian- February 2004, WL & Polynesian- November 2002, BC- February 2002, CR- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #2147
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I got my magic bands today! 29 days!
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #2148
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
MickeyNut Hey there!

Quote:
Thanks about the kids.

LOL about not being sure - even when I have known the answer to a question for years, I sometimes space it and can't remember. I'm getting old.
You're welcome . Mine are still home, so I can only imagine how hard it will be if/when either one or both move away .

Don't feel bad as I space things off sometimes too. I know I know the correct answer, but sometimes I either can't get it into the right words or just draw a blank all together .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
We leave for the GF in exactly ONE week (eek!) and are so excited. I'm praying to the weather gods for heat, although it will be better than CT regardless!! At what point do you guys usually trust the Florida forecast? It seems to change every hour. Can't wait to share our GF experiences with all of you!
It won't be long now . Since the weather changes so often, I don't usually check the forecast ahead of time and only trust it once I'm there....and even then it's been known to be off .
Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #2149
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
It won't be long now . Since the weather changes so often, I don't usually check the forecast ahead of time and only trust it once I'm there....and even then it's been known to be off .
Ain't that the truth!
GF- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF- December 2011, AKL & GF- February 2007, BWI- February 2006, AKL- February 2005, Polynesian- February 2004, WL & Polynesian- November 2002, BC- February 2002, CR- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #2150
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!
We get Chicago weather, so we're used to our weather being all over the place and we've learned to never fully believe the forecasts until we're actually experiencing it .
Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #2151
DisneyDreamingInMI
Mouseketeer

Renovation dates and details

I know some of us have been wondering about the room renovation dates and details. I just saw this on EasyWDW (1/9/14) so I thought I would share:

"Speaking of the Grand Floridian, its rooms will be seeing a minor refurbishment from early 2014 through the end of July. Disruption should be minimal to nonexistent for most guests. All rooms will receive all-new carpet and wallpaper. The Conch Key building began January 5th. Boca Chica begins February 4th; Big Pine Key begins March 9th; Sago Key begins April 27; Sugar Loaf begins June 1; and the main building begins June 29."

CBR - March 1997, CBR - May 2004, Off-Site - August 2008, Poly - February 2012 (First Family Trip!), GF - February 2014

DisneyDreamingInMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #2152
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamingInMI View Post
I know some of us have been wondering about the room renovation dates and details. I just saw this on EasyWDW (1/9/14) so I thought I would share:

"Speaking of the Grand Floridian, its rooms will be seeing a minor refurbishment from early 2014 through the end of July. Disruption should be minimal to nonexistent for most guests. All rooms will receive all-new carpet and wallpaper. The Conch Key building began January 5th. Boca Chica begins February 4th; Big Pine Key begins March 9th; Sago Key begins April 27; Sugar Loaf begins June 1; and the main building begins June 29."

YAY!!!! Very happy to hear. Now if we can get those sleuths onsite to take some covert pics to post here on the DIS I love the anticipation of the first pics of refurbed rooms. It is so exciting to see who gets the first snapshots uploaded and the unveiling of the new look. Just hope they don't have anything as weird as those cheese wheels and fried eggs like the CR got

Must write a note to myself to keep vigilante watch over this thread around the first of February when Conch may start taking the first guests in the new rooms.....

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Grace&Carolinesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #2153
DisneyDreamingInMI
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Must write a note to myself to keep vigilante watch over this thread around the first of February when Conch may start taking the first guests in the new rooms.....
I'm excited because we are going the first week of February and we requested Conch Key a few weeks ago at online check-in! I'd love to end up in one of the newly remodeled rooms!

CBR - March 1997, CBR - May 2004, Off-Site - August 2008, Poly - February 2012 (First Family Trip!), GF - February 2014

DisneyDreamingInMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #2154
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm excited because we are going the first week of February and we requested Conch Key a few weeks ago at online check-in! I'd love to end up in one of the newly remodeled rooms!
Lucky duck!!! I will cross my fingers for you that the refurb goes smoothly and you can be the first guests to christen the new room Enjoy!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #2155
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Yay! Confirmed that SL will be done by the time we check in on July 15!

Hi all my friends!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #2156
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Yay! Confirmed that SL will be done by the time we check in on July 15! Hi all my friends!
So that means all the other buildings should be done too, right? Yeah!! :-)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #2157
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello to you too, BlueSkies and k&a&c'smom! I hope you both are doing great. k&a&c'smom- I'm so glad to hear that you had a great time spending the holidays with your kids, but totally understand how tough it must feel immediately after they leave. Hopefully you will all be together again very soon!

As nuts as it sounds, I'm most excited for that first moment when we hear the MK train and SSL boat horns from the GF grounds.
The forecast changes so much it can make your head spin

We just got back and this is January weather we had. 1/1 at arrival at 10pm was very foggy/ couldn't see across 7 seas lagoon.
1/2 75 and more shorts and t shirts even in evening.
1/3 65 and wore a sweater and jeans and it rained a little and I had an umbrella in my purse.
1/4 50 and wore a long sleeve shirt, sweater, vest and gloves and boots and still cold it not too bad.
1/5 80 and finally got my swimsuit on and sat in hot tub at CR( we moved )
1/6 60 but chilly wore long sleeve t and sweater.
1/7 45 even colder than 1/4

So check and be prepared. I brought it all and for the first time I actually used it. For gloves I just had my vera Bradley fleece. You just don't want to have to buy the $8 gloves they have!

Also I did get a smitch of sun burn so be careful.

You will probably get the good weather so enjoy!

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 19 16
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #2158
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzgolitely View Post
when do I need to put in a request for the rollaway?? I check in on Jan 19
They usually say to wait for all housekeeping requests until check in and call from the room. If you want, no reason you can't call now and ask for it to be added to your reservation - unless you've done online check in. I'm not sure now (I never use it) but I know in the early years, it sometimes kicked off your requests if you messed with an already checked-in reservation. ??

If anyone has recent experience with either (adding housekeeping requests or calling after online check in), please jump in!

Quote:

I'm so excited for you! One week, woohoo!! I don't think it sounds nuts at all, we love to hear the MK sounds as soon as we arrive. Makes it official - we're in the World.~sigh~

I don't really trust the forecast until the day before we leave, but I keep up with it starting 10 days out. It may change, but it gives a general idea of the trend, so I can decide whether to pack my normal FL gear or add the kitchen sink.

As trisha said, I nearly always pack some light gloves for all the winter months - even when it is 60s in the daytime, the cooler evening temps can give a chill. DD and I were waiting for Illuminations one December evening and our hands got soooo cold from the breeze off the water. Now I have some cheap stretch gloves I keep with the toiletries bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
I got my magic bands today! 29 days!

Quote:

You're welcome . Mine are still home, so I can only imagine how hard it will be if/when either one or both move away .

Don't feel bad as I space things off sometimes too. I know I know the correct answer, but sometimes I either can't get it into the right words or just draw a blank all together .
Me, too - maddening, isn't it?!

Quote:
We get Chicago weather, so we're used to our weather being all over the place and we've learned to never fully believe the forecasts until we're actually experiencing it .
Missouri weather is mercurial, too, we never trust any forecast! Whatever they say, we scoff until it hits us in the face!

Quote:

Thank you, thank you!! I'm going to copy this to the first page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
YAY!!!! Very happy to hear. Now if we can get those sleuths onsite to take some covert pics to post here on the DIS I love the anticipation of the first pics of refurbed rooms. It is so exciting to see who gets the first snapshots uploaded and the unveiling of the new look. Just hope they don't have anything as weird as those cheese wheels and fried eggs like the CR got

I know, I'm always stalking resort threads when there is a refurb, to see the new photos as soon as possible. I laughed at the "cheese wheels and fried eggs" - I somehow missed the CR photos, now I've got to go look.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #2159
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Yay! Confirmed that SL will be done by the time we check in on July 15!

Hi all my friends!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #2160
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know, I'm always stalking resort threads when there is a refurb, to see the new photos as soon as possible. I laughed at the "cheese wheels and fried eggs" - I somehow missed the CR photos, now I've got to go look.

So true! Besides the obvious here......I am currently lurking over on BWI, WL(for the VWL), and CBR for the refurb info....you know...just in case(that's my excuse anyway)

Yes.....the CR soft goods refurb included "cheese wheel" pillows on the bed (or they could be seen as yellow eyeballs with the bed runner as the mouth...haha) and the hallway carpet looks like it has fried eggs on it! Very bizarre looking.
Why didn't they make those yellow pillows bolsters?? Would have looked much better IMO.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: