Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #2131
trishadono
DIS Veteran

I quick walk-in closet teaser for PAS !

A mom and me connection before year 2 of college. I sure will miss her

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 POP, GF 19 17
Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #2132
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
When is the refurb planned?
I don't think anyone has reported the concrete start date of the refurbs (someone correct me if I am wrong please) but the Notice of Commencement filings for the refurbs were last Fall meaning the work will start "soon." We have already figured out when SL and RPC will be refurbed (given their unavailability). Given that WDW discounts are usually smaller for resorts going thru a refurb because of lower room inventory and the new Spring discounts starting at the end of Feb show GF with only a 20% discount, I am willing to bet the refurbs will start at the beginning of March. Again, just my opinion GF, CR, and WL will have higher occupancy rates for the next 1-2 years because of the Poly DVC construction but WL did have some rooms at the 30% discount. Not surprising about CR also having the 20% discount given its size, popularity, and convention bookings.

Anyhoo.....that is my long answer to your short question as to when the refurbs are expected to start.....

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #2133
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

I am behind..and skimming as usual....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
Dd and I were in Summer Lace and were told new Disney Vera pattern was to arrive for spring,
Did they know that the pattern would look like...?

Great pics..Thanks for sharing them! That view from the villa is beautiful... Looking foward to hearing your thoughts on staying in one...and if you preferred VGF over staying CL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmell View Post
Good morning everyone!

It's been 11 years since we have stayed at the GF. We were in Boca Chica at that time. We booked a room in Sugar Loaf for this August but I called today to ask about possibly switching to a deluxe room and found that we had a pin code so we upgraded to a deluxe room in RPC with 2 queen beds. We're splurging for our 15th anniversary (thanks to a pin!)!

I saw some pictures on the WDW site of deluxe rooms in the outer buildings. My question is, do all deluxe rooms have a somewhat separate area with a couch/sofa bed and tv? Do they have balconies? The CM told me there are 2 queen beds but she wasn't sure about the sofa bed or balcony.

Thank you!
Congrats on the pin code! And on booking RPC...the deluxe queen room in RPC is different in layout than the deluxe rooms in the outer buidling..which do have that bump out..kind of like a seperate seating area...the deluxe queens in RPC are a much larger room..and as MickeyNut accurately described the small sofa, table and chair are incorporated in the larger space of the room..Its very well laid out...there is a wet bar in the room as well.. actually there are not too many of them..and not so easy to book...so double congrats to you!! A discount and an extra special room ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbobbin View Post
How much of a walk is it from the outer buildings to the monorail? My mom has MS and I'm planning on what the best hotel would be for her by ease of transportation. She can walk fine, but in case she gets tired from the parks, I want to get back to the hotel as effortlessly as possible so she does not get too fatigued.
I think as KKTom suggested..Sago would probably be the best choice for your family..it is not far from the main building..and the monorail...and also very close to the bus stop...but..quite a distance from the boat dock if you were planning on using the water launches for transportation...Also the monorail will be undergoing some maintenence until the end of March..and have modified operating hours during the week...it will not be running from 11am ( I think??) till 7pm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobsessedwithdisney View Post
Hi just wondering if anyone knows if the lodge tower rooms in SL are far from the elevator/lounge. Thanks so much for any info!
Four rooms rooms from the elevator I believe ...very close! Just an FYI..there are only three lodge tower rooms in SL..the one on the second floor has an enclosed balcony (its part of the portico roof line)..the one on the third floor has the regular railing that most of the other rooms have and the fourth floor has NO balcony...so if a balcony is important I would request a lodge tower room on 2nd or 3rd floor...

Quote:
Booked 7/11-7/14!! Not sure if it will happen, but for now, there's a slight chance! :-)
Hope that you get to go!

k&a&c'smom Happy New Year to you too...and welcome back...You were missed!

MickeyNut Hey there!

Grace&Carolinesmom The unofficial word that we got on our last trip was that the refurbs were starting in January...not sure if that has happend yet...and that they would start in Conch??? ...but my trip is not too far away..and I will inquire again...or just snoop around and see whats going on around the property ...LOL...

grannieminnie, mommygina, mariamouse ,Candy,Beth mousemommy and all the rest of my fellow GF fans... Hope that you have a terrific Thursday!

Last edited by BlueSkies; 01-09-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #2134
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

NOC's are usually filed before the permit is issued (here in Palm Beach County, we can't file for a permit until the NOC has been filed) so it could still be in plan review depending on the extent of the refurb.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #2135
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

trishadono, thanks for all the photos - love them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post

I hope you are having a good start to 2014 as well .

Sorry that your kids have gone back home, but glad you had a great time wth them while they were here .

Thanks for confirming about the sleeper sofa . I thought they did away with those, but wasn't 100% sure. For some reason I didn't think daybeds were in any of the deluxe rooms, but wasn't sure on that either....LOL.

Thanks about the kids.

LOL about not being sure - even when I have known the answer to a question for years, I sometimes space it and can't remember. I'm getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzgolitely View Post
Anyone have pics of the rollaway beds??
I think so, give me a minute to check.

Quote:
Booked 7/11-7/14!! Not sure if it will happen, but for now, there's a slight chance! :-)
I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
I don't think anyone has reported the concrete start date of the refurbs (someone correct me if I am wrong please) but the Notice of Commencement filings for the refurbs were last Fall meaning the work will start "soon." We have already figured out when SL and RPC will be refurbed (given their unavailability). Given that WDW discounts are usually smaller for resorts going thru a refurb because of lower room inventory and the new Spring discounts starting at the end of Feb show GF with only a 20% discount, I am willing to bet the refurbs will start at the beginning of March. Again, just my opinion GF, CR, and WL will have higher occupancy rates for the next 1-2 years because of the Poly DVC construction but WL did have some rooms at the 30% discount. Not surprising about CR also having the 20% discount given its size, popularity, and convention bookings.

Anyhoo.....that is my long answer to your short question as to when the refurbs are expected to start.....
LOL about a long answer to a short question - that's my norm.

Thanks for the insight, especially about the lower discounts for resorts under refurb. It always seems to be backwards, doesn't it? I'm sure you are right about the occupancy of CR, GF & WL due to the Poly construction. So many people will want to stick with the MK area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
k&a&c'smom Happy New Year to you too...and welcome back...You were missed!

Grace&Carolinesmom The unofficial word that we got on our last trip was that the refurbs were starting in January...not sure if that has happend yet...and that they would start in Conch??? ...but my trip is not too far away..and I will inquire again...or just snoop around and see whats going on around the property ...LOL...

grannieminnie, mommygina, mariamouse ,Candy,Beth mousemommy and all the rest of my fellow GF fans... Hope that you have a terrific Thursday!
I've missed all of you, too.

LOL about the snooping - looking forward to your results.

I'm tagging onto your shout out to everyone, I hope you all are having a great week and staying warm.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #2136
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Mizzgolitely - here is a photo posted on the first page, it shows part of a rollaway. It was provided by Lulu'smom and I think I have more of those photos in a previous thread - if you want me to, I can search for them.

*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #2137
cinmell
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there LOVES U2 & COACH bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
I am behind..and skimming as usual....

:
Congrats on the pin code! And on booking RPC...the deluxe queen room in RPC is different in layout than the deluxe rooms in the outer buidling..which do have that bump out..kind of like a seperate seating area...the deluxe queens in RPC are a much larger room..and as MickeyNut accurately described the small sofa, table and chair are incorporated in the larger space of the room..Its very well laid out...there is a wet bar in the room as well.. actually there are not too many of them..and not so easy to book...so double congrats to you!! A discount and an extra special room
Thank you! We were booked in Sugar Loaf but I called yesterday to ask about the deluxe rooms in the outer buildings and the CM told me I had a pin and asked if we wanted to check to see if there was a deluxe room in RPC available. There was a room so we switched from SL. When I looked on the WDW site prior to the call, that category wasn't listed so I assumed those rooms were already booked or didn't exist in RPC.

~~My husband never thought anyone would read my post nevermind respond to it!~~
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #2138
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! We were booked in Sugar Loaf but I called yesterday to ask about the deluxe rooms in the outer buildings and the CM told me I had a pin and asked if we wanted to check to see if there was a deluxe room in RPC available. There was a room so we switched from SL. When I looked on the WDW site prior to the call, that category wasn't listed so I assumed those rooms were already booked or didn't exist in RPC.
Not all of the rooms are listed on the website. You can't book The Tower CL rooms on the 14th floor at CR on the web and have to call for those too.

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 POP, GF 19 17
Old 01-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #2139
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
BTW - the photo I posted above is of the main building deluxe (2 queen) in the rectangular layout (there are 2 for the 2Q rooms - rectangular and triangular). There are more deluxe photos on the first page, post #5.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #2140
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Mizzgolitely - here is a photo posted on the first page, it shows part of a rollaway. It was provided by Lulu'smom and I think I have more of those photos in a previous thread - if you want me to, I can search for them.

AWESOME thank you so much! how much do they charge for it ?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #2141
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzgolitely View Post
AWESOME thank you so much! how much do they charge for it ?
A whopping zero dollars!!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #2142
trishadono
DIS Veteran

So busy at work after missing a week

Have to say that my SL transfer to VGF worked perfectly

To have a day to access the lounge was great. After check out we just needed to use the KTTW card to get into the building. (MB's worked until then).

If you go to DVC area there is a map with room numbers thread. The lake view 2br villas only have 3 row options. The rooms end in 06,12 or 18 only. Hands down the room we got ending in 6 the best view! It was a straight out view. The other 2 are in the corners so you can't see much from the inner corners of your balconies. FYI we were offered a floor one room and we waited for a upper room to be available. 3rd floor really felt higher, probably because overlooking water. On the lakeview side I think any 1-6 would be good. The lower floors are private due to the fact the walk way is not near to the balconies/patio.

The rooms had a bright open feel to them. We all really loved them especially MIL! We let her have the king room but she let us share the tub and shower areas

DD, MIL and I all tried the huge tub. FUN to sit and watch tv in the mirror/tv.

The music playing from the walkway was a nice touch. Listening to the Christmas music was really one of my favorite things. It was loud enough to hear comfortably without being too loud. If doors shut you couldn't hear it if noise an issue.

We watched EWP from the balcony!
You could see top of Epcot fireworks. If floor 4 and up then should see them pretty well.

The fridge was well lit and way better than the one we all have at home(probably at least most of us)

My 5"11 son slept the first night on the "under bed" (below tv) He loves small spaces and spent most of the first day there watching Netflix from that bed

I slept one night on the sleeper. It is nearly identical to the one at BLT. I sleep fine on them. They are a little hard but I end up sleeping well so that works!

DH said beds at GF are a little better quality than the beds at the villas. They both have triple sheeting.

Have to say we were all impressed. The color scheme was so pretty!! My MIL called all hers friends to brag about the view from the room and sent pix. Even DS who said he hated GF and didn't want to go had to admit it was awesome. Of course my Disney loving daughter loved it all Especially getting mom to do her laundry on vacation

The theme felt Victorian but with a nice blend of modern. We all loved it. The details of the ceilings, the moldings, the lighting, the tile work on floors and kitchen back splash were all just beautiful

Out of all of our Disney rooms this was the most beautiful. My DH said I really outdid myself this time.

Any questions let me know!
Trish

Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #2143
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

So what are the best views for GV rooms? Somewhat close to main building for the monorail and/or the beach pool...? Would I need to request a daybed and/or balcony? Trying to get my BFF and her family to go with as well. Could I request connecting rooms if I have 2 rooms booked?
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #2144
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

trisha, thanks for the review, sounds like you had an awesome stay.

Quote:
So what are the best views for GV rooms? Somewhat close to main building for the monorail and/or the beach pool...? Would I need to request a daybed and/or balcony? Trying to get my BFF and her family to go with as well. Could I request connecting rooms if I have 2 rooms booked?
There are pretty garden views in all areas, it really depends on what you want to see. The marina views in Conch Key & Sago Cay are considered garden, so if you want to look at the marina, request one of those buildings marina side. Otherwise, you will likely be looking at the courtyard pool and Main Building, which is beautiful. Which building you request depends on your needs. To be honest, the resort layout is so small, all buildings have their good points.

Would you like to be closer to the Main building? Request Big Pine Key, which is also close to the Beach Pool. If being near the boat dock and courtyard pool, with a pretty view of the Main Building, is to your liking, request Boca Chica. Conch Key has both courtyard pool and marina views and is near the boat dock and a short walk to Gasparilla's; Sago Cay is quiet, close to Gasparilla's and the bus stop.

Yes, you can request connecting rooms, ask for it to be added to your reservations and remind them at check in. Not guaranteed, but we have gotten rooms with a connecting door even when we asked NOT to have one, so there must be a lot!

Requesting a daybed isn't really necessary, most rooms have them - you may want to request "no dormer" as those are the rooms that you might not get a daybed (although some now do). All rooms have balconies (except a few deluxe rooms and suites).
Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #2145
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

when do I need to put in a request for the rollaway?? I check in on Jan 19
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: