Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #1741
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Sitting here at work GF dreaming -- big storm getting ready to settle in over our area tonight....so not ready for winter....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #1742
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Good luck with your discount hunt.

We like all the restaurants you mentioned, too. We tend to do buffets rarely, as I mentioned, but when we do we have enjoyed Boma and Cape May. Haven't been to Yachtsman lately, but we used to love it. Artist Point, too. So many restaurants, so little time!!

The empty Main St. photos are a big part of why we book breakfast at CP!
Thanks .....On 1/3/13, a discount came out for stays early April-mid June of this year, so hopefully something will come out for that time frame next year too. I sat down and priced out what our stay would be end of May/beginning of June and paying rack rate was only $200 more than what I have booked in March WITH a 35% discount ......that goes to show just how expensive those peak season rack rates are . That in itself is making me want to change dates.

We still do some buffets as we love Cape May and Boma, but we don't do as many as we did when we first started going to Disney. After trying Artist Point and Yachtsman and really liking those, we are going to try a few more signatures on upcoming trips. I have CP breakfast on the list for our December 2014 trip as I not only want an empty Main Street pic, but I'd love it all decorated for Christmas too . I have a lot of pics of MK during the holidays, but none of an empty Main St.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #1743
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

I love empty Main St. pictures! I've been able to take some when we got in early, tho not from having breakfast ressies. Once, my sister and I were asked inside to do a survey, and after it, we were allowed to go down as far as the hub. Ironically (I love Food Network), there was an episode of Food Network Challenge (Disney cakes) being filmed right there, and we got to meet one of the challengers.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #1744
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
I love empty Main St. pictures! I've been able to take some when we got in early, tho not from having breakfast ressies. Once, my sister and I were asked inside to do a survey, and after it, we were allowed to go down as far as the hub. Ironically (I love Food Network), there was an episode of Food Network Challenge (Disney cakes) being filmed right there, and we got to meet one of the challengers.
I know, aren't they great? I've seen quite a few pics, but I have yet to take one myself, but one of these days I'll have one . I also love the GF lobby when it's empty......it's just so calm and peaceful . That is so cool about Food Network filming and you being able to meet one of the challengers .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #1745
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Sitting here at work GF dreaming -- big storm getting ready to settle in over our area tonight....so not ready for winter....
I just heard from a friend the NE might get up to a foot of snow! I don't blame you for dreaming of FL. I hate winter, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Thanks .....On 1/3/13, a discount came out for stays early April-mid June of this year, so hopefully something will come out for that time frame next year too. I sat down and priced out what our stay would be end of May/beginning of June and paying rack rate was only $200 more than what I have booked in March WITH a 35% discount ......that goes to show just how expensive those peak season rack rates are . That in itself is making me want to change dates.

We still do some buffets as we love Cape May and Boma, but we don't do as many as we did when we first started going to Disney. After trying Artist Point and Yachtsman and really liking those, we are going to try a few more signatures on upcoming trips. I have CP breakfast on the list for our December 2014 trip as I not only want an empty Main Street pic, but I'd love it all decorated for Christmas too . I have a lot of pics of MK during the holidays, but none of an empty Main St.
I hear ya about the peak rack rates. Scary high.

If you have teens who eat a lot, or a big group who can't decide, the buffets are great. For DD and I, we rarely eat enough to justify the higher cost - we can split an app and entree at a Signature for less.

Flying Fish is another of our very favorite Signatures. And Jiko - how could I forget Jiko?! Smaller menu than some of the others, but the food has always been excellent and the So. African wines are outstanding.

Quote:
What great good luck!!

Quote:
I know, aren't they great? I've seen quite a few pics, but I have yet to take one myself, but one of these days I'll have one . I also love the GF lobby when it's empty......it's just so calm and peaceful . That is so cool about Food Network filming and you being able to meet one of the challengers .
Main St. isn't nearly as empty as it used to be, but it is still very cool to get those photos. We have several of DD, almost alone on the street leading up to the hub, by Casey's.

It's easier to get photos of an empty GF lobby, I love coming back late and walking in - the smell is much stronger, I guess because the doors aren't opening as much, and the hubbub has died down. So peaceful and beautiful.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 11-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #1746
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Loving all of the food talk GF pals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Hello to all my friends! I've been following along reading. Busy time in my life. DS accepted to 3 universities so far. Try to plan his Eagle Scout Board of review for this weekend, and have Thanksgiving at my house!

I just watched a video of the GF Gingerbread house. Does anyone know if you can send away for the goodies that they sell there? I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned before.

Have a good day my friends and for all of us in the East in the freezing cold, stay warm!
Hi Mommy Gina! Congratulations to your DS!! That first acceptance is always a big sigh of relief! And your Ds has 3!! That's great!

Not sure about the gingerbread...but I wouldn't mind getting some myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmocha View Post
We are doing Crystal Palace for the first time ever this Christmas, but I have heard good things about it. One of our favorite places (and it is a burger and shakes kinda place) is Sci-Fi Dine In Theater in DHS. We aren't going this trip, which has my family a little ticked, but we are trying a bunch of places we've never been. I am most excited about O'Hana and Narcoosee's. I'm just hoping my very picky son with like something at Narcoosee's.

This is our Itinerary of places to eat this trip:
Liberty Tree Tavern - Lunch
1900 Park Fare - Dinner
50s Prime Time Cafe - Lunch
O'hana - Dinner
Crystal Palace - Breakfast
Le Cellier - Dinner
Chef Mickey's - Breakfast
Biergarten - Lunch
Narcoosee's - Dinner
Kona Cafe - Breakfast
(I think I need the gaining 10lbs in 5 days smiley!)

I can always let you know what I think if any of these places interest you.
What a nice dining itinerary... and I would love some feed back on the O'Hana dinner ..thank you for the offer..

Quote:

We usually have lunch at LTT, so there is a variety of sandwiches, salads, pastas, etc. instead of the dinner fare. Not in love with the idea of paying WDW prices for Stouffer's, either.

We love CP, too, but always have it for breakfast. We need to try lunch sometime, it's been years since we went there for dinner.
k&a&c'smom Same here LTT for lunch..I thought the dinner there was awful....and I am not particularly fussy..and CP is such a nice way to start and early morning MK day!

As for the general dining ideas...I am interested in new or old new...lol..in any of the parks or the the WDW hotels...

Its been quite a while since we have dined at Tony's...I heard there too the lunch is better than the dinner??

Quote:
We have done breakfast at CP, but prefer lunch. I can eat more!
Plus, their salads really are awesome!
Sounds good grannyminnie..that is usually a breakfast fave of ours if we are planning an early morning MK day...maybe we will switch it up and try it for lunch..

Very cool on getting to meet someone from the FN...Its always about the food!!! lol...

Quote:
Aww thanks Blue....that is sweet of you to say . No changes made as of yet on our trip. We are still booked for March, but I'm waiting to see what (if any) discounts come out after the first of the year for mid April-early June. If there is a discount and it's decent, I may change our dates .

Not sure if you've ever been, but Boma and Cape May are two of our favorites and are must do's for us every trip . Boma does have unique dishes, but it also has a good variety of not-so-unique items for the not so adventurous eater . And I think Cape May has a lot of variety for everyone, both breakfast and dinner . For signatures, we love Artist Point and Yachtsman Steakhouse..
Never tried Boma..or Cape May for dinner...did the CM breakfast and it was very cute..loved the characters in their beach attire..lol... Maybe I will add CM (as in Cape May..NOT chef Mickeys..lol..) for one of our dinners...

Yachtsman.. Narcoosees..Citricos (we hadn't been there in quite a while and tried it on BCV's suggestion and CG are all on the signatures that we enjoy ist..but we do not do all in every trip....we usually do a few tho...

Quote:
Me too ..one of these days....another reason to book another trip... I do have quite a few of the GF lobby empty... either in the early morning..or late at night... Love looking at those pics..

Thanks all for your input..the wheels are turning..I will be putting together our dining itinerary...

Hope that everyone is having a terrific Tuesday!

Old 11-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #1747
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's easier to get photos of an empty GF lobby, I love coming back late and walking in - the smell is much stronger, I guess because the doors aren't opening as much, and the hubbub has died down. So peaceful and beautiful.
I agree.....it's much easier to get a pic of the GF lobby empty . I, too, love the smell of the lobby, as well as the overall ambiance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Never tried Boma..or Cape May for dinner...did the CM breakfast and it was very cute..loved the characters in their beach attire..lol... Maybe I will add CM (as in Cape May..NOT chef Mickeys..lol..) for one of our dinners...

Yachtsman.. Narcoosees..Citricos (we hadn't been there in quite a while and tried it on BCV's suggestion and CG are all on the signatures that we enjoy ist..but we do not do all in every trip....we usually do a few tho...

Me too ..one of these days....another reason to book another trip... I do have quite a few of the GF lobby empty... either in the early morning..or late at night... Love looking at those pics..

Thanks all for your input..the wheels are turning..I will be putting together our dining itinerary...
The BC atmosphere, along with the characters in their beach attire, is what we love about Cape May (well, that and the food )...but that is our favorite breakfast on property . There are no characters at dinner, but we also love that buffet as the variety is good (IMO). As for Boma.....you have to squeeze that in on at least one trip. We stayed away from trying it for the longest time due to the "unique-ness" of the menu, but we found there to be plenty of variety for the less adventurous eater. My oldest DS is very picky and Boma is a favorite of his. We are trying Narcoossee's on our next trip .

I love those early morning and late night GF empty lobby pics.....makes you want to be there just to enjoy that .

Good luck with your dining itinerary....I love deciding on ADRs as that's one of my favorite things to do when planning a Disney trip .

Old 11-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #1748
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Oh, thought of a couple more favorites - La Hacienda and Rose & Crown in World Showcase! We had never tried R&C until a couple years ago, we kept going to old favorites instead. When we finally gave it a shot, we couldn't believe it had taken so long! Great food and DD loves the Guinness on tap.

I've veered off topic (again! lol) so...here is a lobby photo.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #1749
kittyab
DIS Veteran

What is include with the Studio's

I know there is a micro wave & mini fridge, but is there plates, cups & cutlery? How about a toaster? Is there a full coffee pot or a mini one?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #1750
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Any new room pictures? I see that POFQ got runners that are similar to the old spreads and WL has a themed runner too....
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #1751
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyab View Post
I know there is a micro wave & mini fridge, but is there plates, cups & cutlery? How about a toaster? Is there a full coffee pot or a mini one?

Thanks!
I have no experience with DVC at all, but here is a link to the VGF Homeowners thread on the DVC forums. This links to page 13, where the photos start after the grand opening last month. Should be able to find photos of the kitchen, etc.

ETA: here is the link to the VGF post on the first page, scroll down past the photos to the listings for villa details.

"Kitchenette
Paper plates and bowls, and plastic utensils
Small refrigerator
Wet bar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
Any new room pictures? I see that POFQ got runners that are similar to the old spreads and WL has a themed runner too....
As far as I know, they haven't started the renovations yet, other than the removal of the bedspreads like we saw in trisha's photos a while back. The rumor is the refurb starts in January.

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 11-26-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #1752
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:

As far as I know, they haven't started the renovations yet, other than the removal of the bedspreads like we saw in trisha's photos a while back. The rumor is the refurb starts in January.
Yeah. THat makes sense.. Why would they put new spreads on when they will do a refurb
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #1753
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom Love the pic! And thanks for always sharing your wealth of pictures here!

Meant to mention earlier.. at DHS BD is a fave of ours too...and not usually difficult to get a ressie... and we have added La Hacienda to the list too... during a recent trip we had dinner there ..and enjoyed Illuminations from our nice cool uncrowded window seat!

Havent tried R&C in years..something to think about... Epcot has so many choices..it really is hard to pick...

MickeyNut I think that we might give Cape May a try on our spring trip..then head over to B&C for dessert! I know..more food..LOL...cause thats what its always about...

I think that of all of the resorts the GF has the nicest choices as far a dining goes..1900 PF for those character meals...GF Cafe...great for B,L or D..IMO...one of those hidden gems .. like the Plaza Restaurant..and three very nice choices for signature dining... But then I am not biased in any way about that!! LOL...

Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #1754
princessmocha
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
ME TOO!!!!! I woke up this morning with a couple inches of snow and by tomorrow morning we could have up to a foot. It makes me glad I work from home. My kids are a little bummed they already have tomorrow off for Thanksgiving break and it probably would have been a snow day for them.

I had heard that about LTT and the dinner and that's why we went with lunch. I have heard good things about it, so I hope it lives up to it. I really want to try Boma, but we will save that one for another trip. I would have been content to eat my way around Epcot, but I got vetoed on that one!

I do have a GF question in all of my ramblings today . . . Do they have photopass photographers in the lobby? We got Photopass+ and I would love to have our pictures taken in front of the tree and the gingerbread house. Also, does the gingerbread house smell? I mean like a good smell, like gingerbread and does it take over the lobby? I love the smell of gingerbread . . .

Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #1755
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmocha View Post
ME TOO!!!!! I woke up this morning with a couple inches of snow and by tomorrow morning we could have up to a foot. It makes me glad I work from home. My kids are a little bummed they already have tomorrow off for Thanksgiving break and it probably would have been a snow day for them.

I had heard that about LTT and the dinner and that's why we went with lunch. I have heard good things about it, so I hope it lives up to it. I really want to try Boma, but we will save that one for another trip. I would have been content to eat my way around Epcot, but I got vetoed on that one!

I do have a GF question in all of my ramblings today . . . Do they have photopass photographers in the lobby? We got Photopass+ and I would love to have our pictures taken in front of the tree and the gingerbread house. Also, does the gingerbread house smell? I mean like a good smell, like gingerbread and does it take over the lobby? I love the smell of gingerbread . . .
Sorry for the snow. LOL about the kids, too bad they are missing out on a possible snow day.

Yes, the gingerbread house does smell - and it does take over the lobby smell! Smells wonderful!

They usually do have photographers in front of the tree, I assumed they were Photopass photogs (we don't do photopass, so do not have first hand experience).
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: