Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #136
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

JoBird

Glad to hear you are feeling much better today. Even though it will be a not be the same without her, you can't take away the memories in your heart that you will always have! Think of it as a new chapter in your life , When my oldest son got married last year every time I walked by his room I cried thank god my daughter in law tolerates me and He only lives 5 minutes away. He still comes to Disney with us every year and now I just found out I'm gonna be a grandmom OMG already planning our Disney trip with the new baby!!!!!!!!
Seeing Disney through the eyes of a child again I'm so lucky
Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #137
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomickey View Post
JoBird

Glad to hear you are feeling much better today. Even though it will be a not be the same without her, you can't take away the memories in your heart that you will always have! Think of it as a new chapter in your life , When my oldest son got married last year every time I walked by his room I cried thank god my daughter in law tolerates me and He only lives 5 minutes away. He still comes to Disney with us every year and now I just found out I'm gonna be a grandmom OMG already planning our Disney trip with the new baby!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!! Being a grandma at Disney will be so wonderful! I love going there with little ones. It is sooooo magical!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #138
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Quote:
JoBird

YES! OMG--- congratulations!! That is so exciting and wonderful! I know you are thrilled to be able to take that baby to the Grand!! It will be so wonderful to have them so close to you, for you to spoil that little preciousness.

Okay so a question? I have never taken the monorail early to the MK. I'm trying to get there before park opening for an 8 am Breakfast at CRT. Anyone know what time the Resort monorail starts picking up at the GF? Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #139
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the congrats!!!!!!

I would think the monorail would have to run at least a half an hour before park opening because of that reason for the people who do have breakfast reservations there, maybe you could call down and ask but anyway , I hope you have a Magical vacation!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #140
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post

I got annual passes this year and have been trying to get my monies worth

That cheaptickets deal was awesome for November. Gf was cheaper than all the other deluxes... I HAD to stay there

I originally had booked VGF 12/19-24 but changing to 1/2-1/5 the price per night went down $600!!!! Went from to doable.
Aww, don't tell me I missed a great deal?!? Sounds like it must have been a good one, we once hit on an Orbitz deal at just the right time. LOL about going from to doable.

Annual passes are a dangerous thing, aren't they? My max was 4 trips in one year - I know there are many who go even more than that.

Quote:
JoBird

Congrats on the news of a grandbaby! What a wonderful thing your son still vacations with you, have fun planning for the new arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post

Okay so a question? I have never taken the monorail early to the MK. I'm trying to get there before park opening for an 8 am Breakfast at CRT. Anyone know what time the Resort monorail starts picking up at the GF? Thanks!
Well, in my mind I think of the monorail as starting at 7:00 am - but is that accurate? We don't get up early and hit the parks at rope drop much any more, so I'm sort of out of the loop. In years past, we've had 8:00 am CP reservations and used the monorail - but now they have cut monorail hours, I'm just not sure.

More hugs for you. I'm glad you are a bit better today, your story brought tears to my eyes. I remember what it felt like to leave my kids behind. It does get better.

Enjoy your packing, if you can. Hope you have a magical trip, though it may feel strange.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #141
trishadono
DIS Veteran

It's not too late people!!!!

Go to cheaptickets.com and code is cheaperific!
An extra 20% off of Disney's sale. So GF was 30 % and CR and Poly only 20% so GF ended up being cheaper than even SS and AKL!

Good for sept - dec 24th

Lots of boardwalk area sold out due to F & W but hey a sale is a sale

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17

Last edited by trishadono; 08-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #142
SleepingBeauty69
Earning My Ears

Just cancelled AAA ressie in lieu of renting DVC points......we'll be staying in a one bedroom at VGF in March! I'm pinching myself daily bc I'm just SO excited!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #143
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Looking at the DVC model room photos, the decor of the bedrooms is nearly the same color palette as the Four Seasons room photos. Maybe we get a feel for what the resort rooms will look like? I'll try to post them, so everyone can see:
DVC

Four Seasons

I am the worst one for giving advice on DVC vs. regular resort rooms. We've never stayed in a DVC room, and when I looked into buying in, decided it just doesn't fit our way of vacationing.

That being said, my good friend BCV23 is a DVC owner, and her take on it has been she would choose a regular resort room over a studio, but a 1-BR villa over a regular room. Partly due to the fridge and w/d.

HTH, and I hope others with more experience can give their two cents.
thanks....I have heard that before on renting studios vs standard room....my reason for picking a studio was to try out the new villas and save some money. I also like the look of the villa over the standard room. We won't be in the room much so saving money was a great incentive...I am worried about space though being tight?
If we rented points I am not sure if we would do the dining plan or not with the kitchenette so that is another way to save money too?

HOWEVER, I like the idea of being able to cancel thru disney, it makes me a little nervous to pay all up front when renting and not be able to cancel??
Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #144
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
It's not too late people!!!!

Go to cheaptickets.com and code is cheaperific!
An extra 20% off of Disney's sale. So GF was 30 % and CR and Poly only 20% so GF ended up being cheaper than even SS and AKL!

Good for sept - dec 24th

Lots of boardwalk area sold out due to F & W but hey a sale is a sale
And even more....book through ebates and get additional cash! I actually used the cheap tickets rate, but booked through ebates on the travelocity link. travelocity was paying a higher rebates (ebate) AND travelocity will match prices. SO...I screen shot (VERY important!!!) the final rate page on cheap tickets using the cheaperific coupon, then booked travelocity through ebates which when I include the $198 check on the way, my final discount was 49% off the fall rate!!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #145
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

Mama and Daddy at the Grand

I'm taking Mama & Daddy to the GF on October 20th for 5 nights. They are 83 and 82 yrs old.
We have reserved 2 outer building garden view rooms.

I have never stayed here and want them to have the least amount of trouble getting to the restaurants and monorail in the main building.

Can someone advise me what to request as a building and floor that would give them the best view, and location?

Thank you so much! SO excited! They'll be celebrating their 63rd wedding anniversary!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #146
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
And even more....book through ebates and get additional cash! I actually used the cheap tickets rate, but booked through ebates on the travelocity link. travelocity was paying a higher rebates (ebate) AND travelocity will match prices. SO...I screen shot (VERY important!!!) the final rate page on cheap tickets using the cheaperific coupon, then booked travelocity through ebates which when I include the $198 check on the way, my final discount was 49% off the fall rate!!!!
Well my day is not wasted , I learned something new!

Thanks so much

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17
Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #147
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm taking Mama & Daddy to the GF on October 20th for 5 nights. They are 83 and 82 yrs old.

I have never stayed here and want them to have the least amount of trouble getting to the restaurants and monorail in the main building.

Can someone advise me what to request as a building and floor that would give them the best view, and location?

Thank you so much! SO excited! They'll be celebrating their 63rd wedding anniversary!
I like Sago because even though garden view rooms it has lagoon on one side and marina on the other.

It is convenient to bus stop, lobby/monorail and Gasparilla's .

1st floor probably easiest but elevators in building so not a problem.

Sometimes when traveling with my parents or inlaws I will pick up food and bring back to room. Sometimes they just too tired to go out again.

Try to catch the maid walk. On certain mornings the maids walk in line with parasols and really cute to watch and start your day

Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #148
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

trishadono - thanks for the info, I am looking into a fall trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty69 View Post
Just cancelled AAA ressie in lieu of renting DVC points......we'll be staying in a one bedroom at VGF in March! I'm pinching myself daily bc I'm just SO excited!!!!!!
Congrats on your booking! Very exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
thanks....I have heard that before on renting studios vs standard room....my reason for picking a studio was to try out the new villas and save some money. I also like the look of the villa over the standard room. We won't be in the room much so saving money was a great incentive...I am worried about space though being tight?
If we rented points I am not sure if we would do the dining plan or not with the kitchenette so that is another way to save money too?

HOWEVER, I like the idea of being able to cancel thru disney, it makes me a little nervous to pay all up front when renting and not be able to cancel??
Saving money is a great reason! I try to find the best price whenever we vacation. I hope someone can help about the space, I have no clue how big the VGF studios are - maybe I'll see if I can find a layout diagram.

Are you able to book a dining plan by renting points? I know it is sometimes tricky.

I know what you mean regarding cancellation, we never use to cancel but have had to several times in the last few years due to unforeseen circumstances. Good luck with your decision.

Quote:

Congrats to your parents, how awesome you can take them to the World and the Grand for their anniversary.

The grounds of the GF are not that large, I'd say the walk from the farthest room to the monorail platform is about 7 minutes, give or take. I am not a fast walker and I can usually cross the courtyard (outer building to main building) in about 3 minutes.

With garden view, you will have a view of either the courtyard pool, marina or the back landscape of Sago Cay with the monorail line. Which sounds more like your cup of tea? We love Conch Key, it is in a good all around location - close to courtyard pool, boat dock and Narcoosee's, and a short walk to the marina and Gasparilla's out the back door.

Another favorite is Boca Chica; the view of the courtyard pool and the Main Building is so pretty, and it, too, is close to the boat dock and Narcoossee's.

Many guests like Big Pine Key, it is the closest from door to door to the main building, and has easy access to the courtyard and Beach pools. However, there are a number of rooms that look right into the back of the pool house; be sure to request an upper floor, if you like the idea of BPK.

As trishadono posted, Sago Cay is very close to the bus stop via the back path, and Gasparilla's. I find it a bit removed, but many people love the quiet.

HTH!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #149
red712371
Mouseketeer

Is the hotel layout the same in Sugar Loaf as the other buildings? I stayed in Sago before and we were right over the lobby. It wasn't too noisy at all and we were even right next to the elevator, but I wouldn't mind being further down the hall this time. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #150
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by red712371 View Post
Is the hotel layout the same in Sugar Loaf as the other buildings? I stayed in Sago before and we were right over the lobby. It wasn't too noisy at all and we were even right next to the elevator, but I wouldn't mind being further down the hall this time. Thanks in advance!
I have stayed in Sago and it was the same layout as SL.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: