Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
smelton521
Mouseketeer

Pop Century or POR?

This is our first trip to Disney and I am re-thinking our reservations. We currently have a room at POR for a total of $3,148 with the cardmember SPD discount. There are several extras that we want to do like BBB, PL, the Perfectly Princess Tea Party and Pirates and Pals Fireworks cruise, not to mention additional food, souvenirs, etc. So I am thinking about changing to Pop Century and saving $531 on the room and dropping the package cost down to $2,617. Has anyone stayed at both resorts? Is it worth the extra money to stay at POR? Also, has Pop historically been included in most discounts that come out? I am still hoping for free dining before our March 2nd trip. If Pop generally has not been included in some discounts would it be better to just stick with POR for now and if no more discounts come out then think about switching to Pop?

Thanks!

smelton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

I would definitely switch. We like Port Orleans, but like Pop just as much. The resort is a lot of fun. The pools are nice and the food court is great.

However, if a pool slide is a deal breaker for you/your kids you'll want to stay with Port Orleans. The Value resorts don't have them...but the pools are themed well and lots of fun.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Tikicristi
Earning My Ears

We stayed at POP for our 1st WDW trip 2 years ago and loved it. We are going in 2 weeks to stay at POR this time and the only reason we chose it instead of POP again was to get the free dining plan w/full-service meals. I can let you know how I like POR when we get back in 3 weeks and how it compares to POP.

I will say that POP was great and we were only in the room to sleep and shower. The rooms are very small so if you plan to be in the room more than that, maybe do POR where I've heard rooms are larger. POP will certainly help you save $ since you want to do all those extras. We stayed in the 70s building right by the Hippy-Dippy pool at POP - my daughter, then 5, loved that pool. It's HUGE and has the spray flowers. We never made it to any other pools because it then rained for 48.5 hours straight! The section we stayed in was close to the food court/main area and I found it all fine.

Looking forward to POR just b/c it's new and different but if cost is the issue, you cannot go wrong with POP!
Tikicristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I prefer POR over Pop.

Pop is fine for 2 or 3 night trips where I'm not in the room much but when I go for more than that, I want a nice room and nice resort for relaxing because I'm usually spending more time at the resort.

Pop has double beds, POR has queen beds. Not much of an issue when it's just me going but if more than 2 people go from my family, we need the queen beds for sure.

So it's a matter of looking at all the amenities to make sure the resort you end up at has what you want and how often you'll be at the resort.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
smelton521
Mouseketeer

I am not sure what to expect as far as time in the room. My kids will be 4 and 5 so I am planning on taking breaks in the room at least some of the days, like our AK and Epcot days because I just don't see us needing to be at those parks all day. There is only so much my kids will want/be able to do at those parks. And we may end up taking breaks every afternoon if they need them.

smelton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

Since you have young kids and this is your 1st trip, you may like POP.
I've never stayed at a Value, but they look like fun, (my DH won't let me, he only likes, MODS and Deluxe). If you stay there for your 1st trip you can always stay at a MOD on your 2nd trip. If you decide to stick with POR you won't be disappointed, it's an amazing resort, which has something for everyone. You can even use POFQ main pool if you want because it's a sister resort to POR. Also there is a Boat shuttle to DTD which is great, if you have dining plans at a different resort, you can catch a bus there to any resort. What ever you decide I'm sure you will get addicted to WDW like everyone else.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
iGoofy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelton521 View Post
This is our first trip to Disney and I am re-thinking our reservations. We currently have a room at POR for a total of $3,148 with the cardmember SPD discount. There are several extras that we want to do like BBB, PL, the Perfectly Princess Tea Party and Pirates and Pals Fireworks cruise, not to mention additional food, souvenirs, etc. So I am thinking about changing to Pop Century and saving $531 on the room and dropping the package cost down to $2,617. Has anyone stayed at both resorts? Is it worth the extra money to stay at POR? Also, has Pop historically been included in most discounts that come out? I am still hoping for free dining before our March 2nd trip. If Pop generally has not been included in some discounts would it be better to just stick with POR for now and if no more discounts come out then think about switching to Pop? Thanks!
I called yesterday as soon as I received the SPD pin and was told that Pop was not participating at this time. I went ahead and booked POR with the intentions of switching to Pop. I'm hoping that when the offer goes public they will release rooms at Pop. We haven't stayed at POR but we've stayed at other moderates. We have stayed at Pop our last two trips and we are crossing our fingers for our third stay at Pop.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
iGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
KMcCP
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at all levels of resorts at Disney... and I've had good experiences at all of them. Last year when we went, we stayed at the Art of Animation in the LM rooms. Up until then I had no issue at all with staying at values - even for the days when you spend a longer time there, you're either resting or at the pool. HOWEVER - that being said, after sharing a double bed with a 5 year old all week I will not be doing that again. The price difference is worth it to me for a good night's sleep.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
lilmenley
Earning My Ears

We've stayed at both Pop & POR (2xs each), and we like each one for different reasons. During our most recent trip, we stayed at Pop and I found myself missing POR. I like the ambiance of POR, and the food court is better too, in my opinion. Since we're a group of 5, we can stay at POR sometimes for less than Pop because we can share a room in Alligator Bayou. So, when we head back in Dec. we are doing a split stay at POR and Poly (a first time splurge).
lilmenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Mrs Grumpy
DIS Veteran

We have stayed 3 times at POP and just recently stayed at POR for the first time. It is just DH and I. We really missed POP! POR is great don't get me wrong we have no complaints. We are in the parks from opening to closing so we didn't take advantage of what a moderate offers. We just need a clean place to sleep. So for us the money difference just wasn't worth it. Someday when we decide to slow down our park time we will give it another try.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelton521 View Post
I am not sure what to expect as far as time in the room. My kids will be 4 and 5 so I am planning on taking breaks in the room at least some of the days, like our AK and Epcot days because I just don't see us needing to be at those parks all day. There is only so much my kids will want/be able to do at those parks. And we may end up taking breaks every afternoon if they need them.
Our first DW trip my DD was 4....we went back to the room for "rest time" almost everyday. We're a family that does rope drop and by 2 or 3, we were all ready for a break. We also went in September when the weather was HOT AND HUMID. Time of year may make a huge difference in break time.

My next trip is in Feb and I'm hoping we can do breaks in the park or by exploring resorts around the area.

Have fun!

TX Momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Missdisney00
DIS Veteran

We stayed at both and we thought both were great! On our first Disney vacation we stayed at pop and thought it was amazing after that we stayed there 7 more times in a row but the last vacation we took in April we did a split stay between pop and POR we enjoyed POR but were missing pop too. I think that pop is great for kids as it is bright and colourful had many activities for kids and a great arcade with a redemption centre which we found great on those no park days to us pop has to be our favourite and is our second home although whatever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy
Old 10-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
wiserabbit
Addicted to Pixe Dust

Stayed at both and after our last trip - we won't be staying at Pop again - POR has better bedding (queen vs double), larger room, better overall "feel" and we found it in general to be more relaxing and welcoming

Don't forget about the relaxing boat ride to DTD also at POR - so you and the kiddies can spend some time at the Lego store and the the "store that never ends" - the World of Disney store

We decided to stay at POP this last trip for the same reasons - $$ savings to do other stuff - but after a week of thin walls, toilets flushing all around and a wild & crazy food court - we will NOT do this again - it will be back to POR for our next girls trips!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Tinkerbell63
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both resorts, and we keep going back to Pop Century. We enjoy the excitement at Pop, and we always ask for a preferred room which makes our walk to the food court and bus stop a lot closer. POR's rooms are bigger, and the beds are more comfortable, but we don't spend much time in our rooms anyway. Definitely POP!!!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. -Walt Disney

Welcome to the highway in the sky...
Tinkerbell63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at all the levels ~ deluxe when it was just DH and me, value with the kids because they like have Disney in their faces all the time, but on our most recent trip we stayed at POR (kids are all grown now).

Honestly ~ we prefer POP. POR is a beautiful resort and we did enjoy our stay, but they moderates are so spread out that there is a lot more walking involved to get to the main buildings for meals, and bus transportation. As adults we didn't mind but watching the families with children we definitely saw a lot of complaining/whiling going on.

We have decided that we would rather spend future trips at POP ~ save the $$ and all the extra walking/time.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
~Tinkerella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: