Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
pink_diva
Just call me 'Cinderella'!!

Orlando sanford airport

Have you ever flown into this airport? Is it easy to get a rental car at this location? I understand it is a 90 minute drive to the port. What is your opinion?

May 19, 2012 DeSales University Grad. BSN/RN

DREAM CRUISE WITH THE FAMILY JUNE 2012

dreams really do come true.....

Bonjour from Pennsylvania!
pink_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
wheelerkidz3
Come on over and join us!!

i'm no help...but i'd love to know also. we have a small airport here at home that flies non stop into it...for really good prices!

wheelerkidz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Hi

I can help you with the airport, we flew into it from the UK and loved it. Very quiet. Straight through customs etc, bags waiting for us. Hire car co was few minutes walk away, hardly any wait.

sorry do not know how long takes to get to port

eeyorefanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Lottie
Earning My Ears

We have used Sanford many times too, especially good for us flying in from UK as everything seems much quicker, especially the customs part which always takes FOREVER at Orlando International. Takes us about 45 minutes to drive from Sanford to WDW. Not sure that it would take 90 minutes to drive to port, probably more like an hour for a guess.
Lottie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
dvcnewgirl
Williamsburg, VA
I don't care if I die early bring back the fried pie!!!

We flew into Sanford for our Dream cruise in December. It was great. Small airport, a lot of rental places. We got our car on Priceline for a great deal. Would do it again in a heartbeat for the price we paid.

dvcnewgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Tigger&Bubba
DIS Veteran

We drive from near the Sanford airport to the port. It takes no more than an hour. (Sometimes less depending on who is driving.)
DCL 12/29/02 Wonder 7550 New Year's Eve, 06/05/04 Magic 7536, 06/30/05 Wonder 2152, 09/18/05 Wonder 8548, 01/26/06 Wonder 6146, 06/29/06 Wonder 7628, 09/17/06 Wonder 8534 "11 Nights in Paradise", 05/11/08 Wonder 2100, 05/10/09 Wonder 8100, 01/29/12 Dream 12522, 03/31/12 Fantasy 8596 Maiden Voyage,
11/04/12 Dream 6638
12/23/12 Dream 12000 Christmas
12/28/12 Dream B2B New Year's Eve
Tigger&Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
CC197823
Mouseketeer

I live in the next town over from Sanford. Its a small airport and rental cars are available. What I like about it is that it is less crowded and you can get through the airport fairly quickly. It should take about an hour to get to the port. If you can get a flight in (not very many options to and from Sanford) I would say go for it.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

My sister uses it all the time for both WDW and the cruise. It is totally a matter or where you are flying from. It's actually easier than MCO--no crowds--if it works for you. Yes, car rental is available and easy.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
suzyqn
DIS Veteran

I live 2 minutes away from this airport. It is a great airport and my relatives have easily rented cars on site.

It takes us under 1 hour to get to the port. Never has it taken 90 minutes. I'd say 50 minutes is more accurate.

It is also super easy to get to the highway from the airport and the drive is very relaxing.

If your local airport flies into the airport then I highly recommend it.

suzyqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Another local here--unfortunately, none of my destinations ever fly to Sanford, so I've never used the airport, but many of my friends have flown out/in there and find it a lot less stressful than OIA. It's about 15 or less minutes north of my house, so I would definitely agree that it would take you no longer than an hour to get to the port from there.

If you can fly into Sanford, go for it. Just know that Disney provides no transportation from there. (At least that I am aware of.)
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
scrapbookingtigger
Mouseketeer

Airline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcnewgirl View Post
We flew into Sanford for our Dream cruise in December. It was great. Small airport, a lot of rental places. We got our car on Priceline for a great deal. Would do it again in a heartbeat for the price we paid.
Hello, may I ask you what airline you flew? We are going in December as well, and I am worried about airfare that time of year. I have seen Allegiant has some flights as low as $49 into that airport but doubt the do that in Dec. Interested in hearing about your experience

scrapbookingtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
dvcnewgirl
Williamsburg, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookingtigger View Post
Hello, may I ask you what airline you flew? We are going in December as well, and I am worried about airfare that time of year. I have seen Allegiant has some flights as low as $49 into that airport but doubt the do that in Dec. Interested in hearing about your experience
I flew Allegiant. They had just opened in our airport (Newport News). We went December 14-23. I can't remember the prices individually but for the 4 of us it was 544 roundtrip. Great Deal!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
pink_diva
Just call me 'Cinderella'!!

thank you! It is time to book my flight.

May 19, 2012 DeSales University Grad. BSN/RN

DREAM CRUISE WITH THE FAMILY JUNE 2012

dreams really do come true.....

Bonjour from Pennsylvania!
pink_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
dvcnewgirl
Williamsburg, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_diva View Post
thank you! It is time to book my flight.
Just remember they will nickle and dime you. You pay for drinks, snacks, bags etc. With the prices they offer it is still a deal! Have fun!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
FLVacationGirl
Mouseketeer

We used Sanford airport for the first time 2 months ago and loved it! It was so easy to rent a car. Everything is so close which is nice when flying with kids. It's a nice small airport!

Our car rental at Sanford airport was through Delta Skymiles with National. We had zero line up but a few of the other car rental companies had short lines up. Our car was in the wrong spot in the rental parking garage but easy enough to find.

This recent trip wasn't for a cruise however, so I can't comment on the drive to port. We drove to Orlando and then to Fort Myers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: