Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Charmel
Earning My Ears

Can I upgrade 6 year old to adult DP?

I was showing my kids the menus from some of the places we will be eating and my 6 year old was quite upset that 10 year old sister gets adult meals and he has to choose between nuggets and hot dogs. If I call and ask to change him to an adult (I know it will cost more) will they let him order adult meals? Or will the waiter see he is obviously a child and require he order a child plate? I thought about letting them split an adult meal but that leaves a lot of kids meals left over and the possibility of arguments. This is mainly a problem at places like Marrakesh and most of the counter services. We are on the regular dining plan.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can call WDW and change his age to 10. You will be paying for an adult ticket as well, if you are on a package reservation.

If he has adult credits he can order adult meals.

If you are paying for the plan I don't suggest you do this if you are going to do a lot of buffets, family style or fixed price meals as it might work out better just to buy him a meal at a few restaurants and counter service for that.

If you are from Great Britain it is very possible that they will say you cannot change his age.
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Is it free dining or paying for the Dining plan?
With free dining, many people reported being allowed to up the age of their child, and then just pay a little more for the ticket.
If you are paying for the dining plan, it would probably be cheaper to supplement meals OOP and pay for some adult meals OOP, as opposed to pay for another adult price.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Mrs D
I realize most people don't hear editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmel View Post
I was showing my kids the menus from some of the places we will be eating and my 6 year old was quite upset that 10 year old sister gets adult meals and he has to choose between nuggets and hot dogs. If I call and ask to change him to an adult (I know it will cost more) will they let him order adult meals? Or will the waiter see he is obviously a child and require he order a child plate? I thought about letting them split an adult meal but that leaves a lot of kids meals left over and the possibility of arguments. This is mainly a problem at places like Marrakesh and most of the counter services. We are on the regular dining plan.
You would have to change his age to 10, pay the adult ticket price in addition to the adult dining plan price.
At Marrakesh a kids chicken kabob is available and is the same as the adult kabob (smaller portion).
For counter serve, some places in the World Showcase have just 1 menu and it doesn't if it's a kid or adult ordering. Research menu's to find counter serve locations with something he'll like. Remember you don't all have to get your food from the same place. Like if the family wants to get counter serve at Flame Tree BBQ in AK you could send one person to Tamu Tamu to get your DS a sandwich or salad. However, Flame Tree is a great example of finding a menu that offers something other than nuggets or Uncrustables - they offer a drumstick that is really good!

Another option is to pay out of pocket for some meals for your DS and use his credits for a breakfast instead.

Last, there are some families that the DDP just doesn't work for. If it fits the way you eat, great, if not then it's not much value.

HTH!

WDW, Frozen Summer Fun & Diagon Alley! Aug. '14**Ultimate Orlando w/WDW, WWoHP&Legoland + First DCL!!Jan '14**Princess Half Marathon Feb '12 AKV**Oct. 12 DL for Halloween Time!**Apr. 12 Pop/AKV, F&G fest+ 80th bday**Leap Day! 24hrs in MK & CR!**June 11-Pop & SWW**Oct. '10 Pixie Dust!Upgraded to GF!! Wine & Dine Half Relay!**Dec. 09 Christmas at Pop**Feb. 09 Girls Only BDAY trip@BWV!** Sept. 08 First trip for the little ones - VWL** Numerous trips throughout childhood.
Mrs D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
ashearer
Mouseketeer

This is interesting our DD8 eats the same food as us and lives trying new food .last time we visited she was 5 and she ended up eating if my plate.
This time we will probably do the same because the portions are huge anyway and we have booked a few character buffet meals and at BOG the kids meal is pretty good.
ashearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Charmel
Earning My Ears

We are on free dining and from US. I think I will call and see if they will let me change his age? I am a little nervous to ask..........
Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
JoanneDisFan
Mouseketeer

I did this a few years ago during free dining. DD was turning 9 during the trip but bought her an adult ticket so she could get adult meals. Disney has no problem doing this as you are paying more for the adult ticket.

Dec 2005- AS Movies, Sept 2008- Free Dining AS Movies, Oct 2011- Coronado Springs, Sept 2013-Free Dining Caribbean Beach,
(Me) (DH) (DD14) (DS 3)
JoanneDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are on free dining and from US. I think I will call and see if they will let me change his age? I am a little nervous to ask..........
No reason to be nervous. People do it all the time.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Charmel
Earning My Ears

Well, I have called twice and sat on hold forever and had to hang up to take important calls. Decided I would just book it online and call later to cancel my current booking. There are no longer any rooms available that week for free dining. Guess I will be calling back and listening to some more Disney music
Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't be nervous. I did it last year for DD, who eats more than I do. I simply told the CM I would like to up her age so she could get bigger meals, and they did it no problem. We had free QSDP, and the cost to upgrade her ticket was $19.17 for our 9 day hopper ticket. Worth every penny. Enjoy!
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Disney*Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Just want to say thank you to everyone on this thread. I didn't know you could do this, and was dreading my daughter having to order on the kid's menu, because she really likes to try new things and eats more adult style food. I called Disney this evening and changed her to an adult and it only cost $19 more to do it. Thanks! She is so excited now. When we looked at menus she was worried about peanut butter and jelly and nuggets all the time.
Disney*Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
Charmel
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all your help. The CM was great and my son now gets to eat off the adult menu!!! He is so pumped. He has been measuring every week to see if he can ride Everest. Last week he measured tall enough. Everest and adult food, what a great trip for him
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney*Dreamer View Post
Just want to say thank you to everyone on this thread. I didn't know you could do this, and was dreading my daughter having to order on the kid's menu, because she really likes to try new things and eats more adult style food. I called Disney this evening and changed her to an adult and it only cost $19 more to do it. Thanks! She is so excited now. When we looked at menus she was worried about peanut butter and jelly and nuggets all the time.
Quote:
Thank you for all your help. The CM was great and my son now gets to eat off the adult menu!!! He is so pumped. He has been measuring every week to see if he can ride Everest. Last week he measured tall enough. Everest and adult food, what a great trip for him
Glad it worked out for both of you!
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
ashearer
Mouseketeer

I just checked our ADRs and we have lots of character dinners so these are fine she just picks from adult section and our other dinners are 50s prime time(meatloaf +veg),Captains grille,Raglan Road and BOG and the kids menus are all pretty good so its probably not worthwhile to upgrade. The cost of upgrading and all the extra tips could add up to over $100 for our stay.
ashearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
kethry70
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know - if I upgrade my 9y.o., can he still choose the kid's meals at some places?
kethry70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: