Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Cruise advice - 2014 Any help appreciated

My mother would really love to do a cruise in the next year with the family. We've never done a cruise at all, and as we love WDW, feel that DCL is our best choice.

There would be:
My mother 73, My father 76, Myself 38.
There would possibly be:
My sister 43, My brother in law 43, My neice 8, and my nephew 10.

I'm intentionally looking in July/August so that everyone might be included, but I'm not restricted to that. I'm not finding much in the way of west coast options, and defintely very little in the way of LA departures (to include a Disneyland hit). Are all cruises announced for the 2014 Calendar year? Should I be waiting on specials or additional announcements?

I know some folks here hate when folks search for specials but for me more specials = more Disney more frequently.

Our initial thought was CA --> AK, but I know that it's Vancouver to AK. Our second consideration is a west coast cruise. We aren't closed to something departing Florida, but think it would be nice to do a west coast visit since we rarely ever do.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Spacedog1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
boundfordisney
I think my finger prints are still on the grab bars to this day

All dates for 2014 are up and I doubt there would be any new ports put into place for the year. Summer sailings are costly whereas off season would save you some money, even choosing the last week of august will save you some. I cant say much on west coast sailings as all we have done have been out of port Canaveral, twice on the magic and once on the fantasy. Looking into November cruise for 2014 and hopeing to book something in the next couple of weeks since the further out you book the better as prices will just increase as time gets closer to cruise date. There have been some specials when cruises have not sold out but they dont seem to happen alot. Also summer sailings have a higher chance of hurricanes plus to hot for me, We have sailed in Jan. March and november and all 3 cruises the weather was great just a little cooler at castaway cay in November but that was at the end of November, may book more in the first week or two this time around. Love the ships decorated for the xmas holidays so if you are into xmas I d highly recommend checking out November or a December cruise!
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

It is expected that 2015 will bring back the Wonder to Alaska and hence you'll have a few sailings on the west coast as it travels up and down. But due to the problems with Mexico in the west coast, I don't think DCL would venture back for a while.

All 2014 itineraries are out. Prices already going up for the summer trips, specially since many cruisers tend to book the same trip for the following year. For example, July 2014 cruises are probably up already due the extra demand. 2015 probably won't be out until late this year, or even Jan 2014.

For the best prices, you must plan over a year in advance. It's not like WDW or DL
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
My mother would really love to do a cruise in the next year with the family. We've never done a cruise at all, and as we love WDW, feel that DCL is our best choice.

There would be:
My mother 73, My father 76, Myself 38.
There would possibly be:
My sister 43, My brother in law 43, My neice 8, and my nephew 10.

I'm intentionally looking in July/August so that everyone might be included, but I'm not restricted to that. I'm not finding much in the way of west coast options, and defintely very little in the way of LA departures (to include a Disneyland hit). Are all cruises announced for the 2014 Calendar year? Should I be waiting on specials or additional announcements?

I know some folks here hate when folks search for specials but for me more specials = more Disney more frequently.

Our initial thought was CA --> AK, but I know that it's Vancouver to AK. Our second consideration is a west coast cruise. We aren't closed to something departing Florida, but think it would be nice to do a west coast visit since we rarely ever do.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
On the West Coast in 2014, the only thing you will find is the 2-night Cruise to Nowhere in May (ports in San Diego). Then there will be two repositioning cruises from San Diego to Vancouver in May and the opposite in September. Between those two, the only sailings are the Alaska cruises during the summer.

Last year they did 4 Pacific Coast Cruises after the Alaska ones, but they did not repeat them this year or next unfortunately (we loved that cruise and would have booked it again).

If you can cruise in May or September, the repositioning cruises may be good. My family is limited to Spring Break and Summer, so we will be doing Alaska in 2014.

If Galveston this year is a possibility, I believe they have been running some promotions on those sailings.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

All good advice so far. It may indicate that the May/September Vancouver/San Diego option might be best. We'll still look at Alaska.

Is there anything so special about Castaway Cay that we shouldn't be considering west coast in the first place?

My mother is very enthusiastic about visiting Vancouver and San Diego, but I would be disappointed at missing Disneyland as I've never been.
Spacedog1975 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: