Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
SteveInOmaha
Mouseketeer

All Stars vs. Pop Century?

We're going to WDW in January. We've stayed at All Stars previously. It's a few dollars more to stay at Pop Century, but it sounds fun. Any reason we shouldn't - too crowded? horrible transportation? etc?
SteveInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

They are pretty much the same in my opinion.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I visited Pop in January when I stayed at AoA. It's a little more spread out than the All-Stars, but that wasn't a big deal IMO. The food court was busy but not horrible, the pools looked similar. I used their bus to go to MK since I was already there and it was no quicker or slower than at any other place.

I'm generally a champion for the All-Stars but Pop is cool too! I'm staying at Pop this October because I've already done 2 of the 3 All-Stars (never gotten a good enough discount at Movies) and I like doing different resorts. The rooms look basically the same except for the theming.
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Stayed at all. While interior of rooms all similar, outside is not. POP would always be my first choice. More lush landscaping, lake, walking path, access to AoA food court as well as own - both with good choices, great bus service and icons a great mix of Disney and cool nostalgia. Feels a step up in quality. First trip was against my will but have loved it ever since!

PS - A lake / water view room is a standard rate!!
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
shyjade
DIS Veteran

I've heard several people here say Pop is louder and busier than the All Stars, but transportation is better (no bus sharing between resorts). However, Pop is very popular so we are giving it a try in October (but mostly because ASMo isn't available with Free Dining, so it's a great time for us to try it out).

From what I hear, the rooms are nearly identical, at least in layout, size and features.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
They are pretty much the same in my opinion.
Mine too....but if I had to choose it would be POP.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
jsebsirois
DIS Veteran

We have a reservation for Music in October-November. Wondering about switching to POP to avoid the crowds that the Sports' food court refurb will create...

WDW : October/November 2013 (MNSSHP and MVMCP) March 2013, October 2011 (MNSSHP), November 2010 (MVMCP), October 2008, October 2006 (MNSSHP) and July 2005 DLR : October 2012 (MHP), July 2010 and September 2009
jsebsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I first stayed in Music back in '03 and it was great. We had just bought DVC but hadn't stayed at BWV yet. I had no issues whatsoever with Music.
Well.....my dd (19) and I stayed in Music in late May this year. I hated it. No, the walk wasn't all that bad, but it sure was boring. The theming just seemed blah to me. The main building was very plain with little theming. Nothing seemed special about the resort anymore. I know that a lot of people said that the value resorts were basically Motel 6's. I used to disagree. Not so much anymore. While the rooms are really pretty much the same at the AllStars and Pop and AoA, the theming is vastly different outside those rooms. Yes, Pop is spread out, but there are three pools to use there...not just one. The walkways around the property are fun to walk. The larger than life period icons are a hoot.
There's not to much that I dislike at Pop. I've stayed there 5 times now and going back in November. Not sure how happy my dh is about it..he enjoys his DVC stays much more but there was no room at the inn for us this time...so to speak.

The buses at Pop are terrific. And I've always had good experiences in the food court. My food experience at Music left a bit to be desired. I really couldn't wait to move over to AoA for my last two nights...hugely more expensive but I didn't much care.

I really hate feeling this way about the All Stars. I was completely surprised by that feeling in May!!! Was really looking forward to staying there again. Was sad to find it so unappealing after all these years.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
mkarizona
DIS Veteran

The only reason to not stay at Pop would be if you are the kind of people who can't wait to get out of the parks at night to relax at the resort. Pop is not relaxing. It is in your face Disney, busy, boisterous and energetic. And fun! The landscaping is lush and tropical, the lake beautiful. None of the rooms are far from the food court and the bus. The bus service is excellent, and you rarely hear anyone complain about the mousekeeping. I have never stayed at Movies but Sports and Music are boring compared to Pop.
mkarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

We like POP over all stars any day ! All stars are nice but POP seems more disney to us and the bus rides are shorter and seem less crowded to us. Better pools and better bar in my opinion. To us POP is our number one choice for the money!!!
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
glammadiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnyfireman
We like POP over all stars any day ! All stars are nice but POP seems more disney to us and the bus rides are shorter and seem less crowded to us. Better pools and better bar in my opinion. To us POP is our number one choice for the money!!!
Agree! And Blanca is the best mousekeeper ever!!
glammadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
jsebsirois
DIS Veteran

We finally decide to try POP for the first time. We will call Disney tonight to switch from Music to POP, we don't mind the extra dollars... Always fun to try new things I guess!

WDW : October/November 2013 (MNSSHP and MVMCP) March 2013, October 2011 (MNSSHP), November 2010 (MVMCP), October 2008, October 2006 (MNSSHP) and July 2005 DLR : October 2012 (MHP), July 2010 and September 2009
jsebsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

It just occurred to me that we haven't stayed at a Value other than POP since 2006 so I really don't know what the AllStars are like now. I also just realized that we haven't stayed at AoA yet either. We will stay a day in October to rectify that.

ETA: I changed my signature to rectify that error. I always forget AoA and a couple of friends have stayed there and have given some not so glowing reviews, so we have not been in a hurry to stay.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.

Last edited by BeerMe; 08-15-2013 at 08:50 AM.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: