Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #31
peachiepie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJacksGirl View Post
If you read enough reviews, you'll find a horrible review of every single thing at WDW.
So agree with this!

I looked up so many reviews of everything before our last trip and got myself convinced everything we'd picked was going to end up terrible! But we had a wonderful time and didn't regret any of our choices.

As for the dessert party, we loved it...the view, the food, the convenience, everything. I've got DH to agree to another WDW trip, his only condition was that we booked the dessert party again!
peachiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #32
jaiminee krikit
Mouseketeer

We did the party last Christmas Eve, and IMO, it was totally worth it. I loved the desserts, I loved being able to watch the magical projection show on the castle from our seat, and I loved having somewhere to sit (comfortably) before the show.
I didn't love that as soon as the music started for Wishes, everyone ran to the railing - I had thought everyone would just stay in their seats (we were in the row furthest back and would have been able to see just fine). My daughter stood on her tiptoes for about 5 minutes before the people in the front noticed her and let her squeeze in between them. I also did not love that during the fireworks, cast members cleaned up our tables (we each had a drink and a few more treats left to finish). I also did not love that we ate a big dinner beforehand. Next time, the dessert party will be our dinner!
A couple of pointers - get up as soon as the music for Wishes starts playing to get a better view (unless you and your family are tall, then feel free to stand behind the shorter people LOL!), and if you are thirsty bring your drink with you to watch, but I wouldn't cancel it because of a few negative reviews. I've read a lot of complaints about things I love, and that doesn't make me love it any less!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
karmacats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemini View Post
My worry is because we're a larger party, we'll get stuck in the back. Are all seatings at 9 pm? I need to go back & re-read, but I think ours says 9:20??
The larger parties can actually have better seats! When we went in Dec. 2011 we were a party of 7, and were in a table right up against the railing - we didn't even have to leave our seats to see the fireworks. When DH and I went alone in April this year, our two-top was placed further back - I was kind of bummed, but then I looked at the seating configuration and there was only 1 two-top near the railing, and the rest were all large tables. I guess maybe they can vary it depending on how many large/small parties are coming to the event, but don't worry about your party size affecting where you sit. Besides, other than the 3 tables up against the rail we were lucky enough to sit in in 2011, even the other "front" tables have space between them and the rail so you will have to stand to see the fireworks.

All seatings should be at 9 when you're going. Ignore the 9:20 time - the reservation system has to give staggered times because of the way it's programmed. This year we got there half an hour before it started and were 5th and 6th in line, so were able to get to the desserts pretty quickly.

I will say the dessert selection seems to have lessened between 2011 and 2013, and the 2013 event was more crowded. There were still plenty of dessert options, though, and plenty of room to stand at the rail to see the fireworks without being crowded. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #34
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

I would just go experience it for myself. Have fun!!

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
MsKitty77
Earning My Ears

We did the party of July 7th (a surprise for the lil sis) and we really enjoyed it, desserts were really tasty and it was nice to sit down and enjoy the fireworks (got a bit of shock though, thought we were going to be watching Wishes and didn't factor in when booking that it with be Celebrate America fireworks instead, so didn't get Tink flying over but an epic view of the 180 fireworks that made up for it). It's booking time that determines where you sit, I managed to score a ressie 30 minutes after the dates opened and we got according to the castmemeber the best seat in the house and we had to agree , we were a party of 2 but sat next to us was a party of 6 so don't worry about party size affacting where you sit. We really rate it highly and would most likely do it again should we return, though next time we'll probably skip dinner to make more room for dessert
MsKitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #36
nostalgic4disney
Earning My Ears

I've tried to get ressies for this before and was not able to. How were you able to make them 30 min after they were released? Did you just keep checking online or call? Thx.
nostalgic4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #37
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

My sister and I went in Oct 2011 and thought it was great and going to try to get a ress for November 10th. Not sure if it matters if your the first to make a ress that your table will be near the front. We booked rather late in 2011 and were seated in the front. I think alot of it has to do with party sizes and just the way they can configure the area. Like most people say, it doesn't matter where your seated everyone we I'll move up to the railing when it starts.

77,79,88 OS-89,92 FW-96 ASMo-05,07,09,11 POP-13 POFQ/POR-2015 POP

Dad-Mom-Son
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #38
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgic4disney View Post
I've tried to get ressies for this before and was not able to. How were you able to make them 30 min after they were released? Did you just keep checking online or call? Thx.
I subscribed to the Wishes Dessert Party thread for info and started stalking the reservation site just before the 60 day release date. I was able to make our ressie within minutes of the dates being released - this I know because of the stalking. Our reservation was just on Aug 1 and our seats were up front by the rail.
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #39
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I agree that you will always get a mixture of reviews on anything in WDW or out.. Youll never know if you dont try it and then if you dont like it you wont have to go back..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #40
RedStars
Mouseketeer

We went last year and got a horrible table. I booked it the morning reservations opened.
We were sat behind a big column and couldn't see the castle AT ALL. The CMs wouldn't let us move OR move our table.

I was really mad because I was so excited to look at the castle while enjoying my dessert. Instead we stared at a white column. We were told "no one sits during the fireworks any way". But the fireworks were only half the draw.

Never again.
RedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #41
Schmoodle
DIS Veteran

I was there, exactly one week ago in fact, sigh.
I caught a cold while at WDW and this was the day I was feeling the worst actually, so I can't review the dessert selection very well. I had a $28 cup of tea and a plate of fruit. I did notice the buffet was very crowded at first, but then completely empty, and they kept it stocked up 'til the end.

I'm not sorry we did it. I love Wishes and hate fighting the crowds, so it was worth it for the relaxed viewing. The way I was feeling, we probably wouldn't have seen it at all if not for the Dessert party. My kids hadn't seen the Magic, Memories, etc. castle show, and they thought it was amazing.

I can't imagine why anyone would swap out name cards, since it doesn't matter where you sit, and nobody can really watch the show from their table. I don't think you'll regret it.

1974 - Family Camping Trip
January 1991 - Family Trip to Westgate Vacation Villas
May 1996 - Best Girlfriend's Trip, Vacation Villas at Fantasy World
July 1998 - Hottest Trip Ever! Parkway International Resort
December 2002 - Multi-Family Dance Trip to Sheraton Vistana Resort
December 2004 - Anthony and Gabbie's First Visit (Can't remember the name of the condo and don't want to try)
October 2008 - The Kids and I stay at Marrott Grande Vista
September 2009 - The Quest for Grownup Food and CSR (First On-Site) stay
January 2010 - Gabbie's Birthday Trip to Carribean Beach Resort and Wilderness Lodge
March 2010 - Sneaking away from work for a day at Epcot and the Boardwalk Inn
August 2011 - Cheating on Mickey Trip

Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #42
patrickpiteo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStars View Post
We went last year and got a horrible table. I booked it the morning reservations opened.
We were sat behind a big column and couldn't see the castle AT ALL. The CMs wouldn't let us move OR move our table.

I was really mad because I was so excited to look at the castle while enjoying my dessert. Instead we stared at a white column. We were told "no one sits during the fireworks any way". But the fireworks were only half the draw.

Never again.
Why didnt you get up and go to the rail when the fireworks started? That's what we did last year..
Great view as Tink flew overhead.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #43
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I think the thing with the dessert party is that your reception will vary based upon your expectations. For me, I do not handle crowds well - at all. I can walk through them for a limited time, but standing in a crowd for a long time - no. I also do not wait well. When you add waiting in a packed crowd, I tend to inexplicably melt down, which is no fun for anyone. We usually end up watching Wishes from Fantasyland, which is fine by me, but I feel bad for my friends. I wanted them to be able to see it from the front, so I booked the party for them in July of '11. They loved it so much that we did it for the NYE Fireworks (actually on Dec 30) in '11. We will be doing it again for NYE this year.

If you think you'll be eating $25 of gourmet desserts, you will be sorely disappointed. For me, it's a low-crowd area from which to watch Wishes, with seats and snacks, and something to do while waiting for Wishes to start. It keeps me un-cranky, and therefore my friends happy, so it's worth every penny. I don't expect some grand VIP experience, just a managed crowd and snacks, lol, so it works out well. I can see where if it is "sold" as something else, it could definitely seem overpriced and disappointing.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #44
RedStars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpiteo

Why didnt you get up and go to the rail when the fireworks started? That's what we did last year..
Great view as Tink flew overhead.
We did. But we ate our desserts stating at a column. :/
RedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #45
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStars

We did. But we ate our desserts stating at a column. :/
I can understand why you'd be upset at that. I really enjoyed eating and looking at the castle, and partly at MSEP as it went by, so I'd have been a bit disappointed too.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: