Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLLB View Post

We've been a couple of times, 2010 and 2012. Would you mind saying what the changes were? Just curious.

To the OP. We enjoyed the party both times and are definitely planning to do make reservations for 2014.
The original party had the desserts up on the 2nd deck and you could walk all around with plenty of space and light. The major change is that they moved it to where the entrance used to be and tucked it all within the old entrance and a post and put ppl's tables right up against it too. Like you can't walk around the carts anymore. Very awkward setup and there is no lighting there at all. There used to be just 2-3 tables in the area they have the entire setup in now.

DH video taped the area and that was part of the reason we were refunded. I didn't even know he was that upset about the whole thing until he went to City Hall the next day and met up with us and told me about the refund. He doesn't get upset easily so I was shocked he had gone and complained on his own with a video to back up his claims. LOL

Keep in mind we haven't gone back in a couple years. They may have changed it up again. Which I hope they have! LOL

These are pics of the original party buffet area:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/wishe...party/8893.htm
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire

Last edited by delmar411; 08-13-2013 at 12:06 PM.
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

question answered above
POP Oct 2011 F&W + MNSSHP
POR Oct 2012 - Dining Review
POP March 2013
Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Coronado Springs/Cabana Bay TRIP REVIEW October 2014

Last edited by ThinkTink09; 08-13-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Q answered when posting
ThinkTink09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
Ero_FL
AP

I didn't even know such a thing existed!

I am totally fitting this into my ADRs for our trip. We always have one night where we get ice cream for dinner and watch fireworks (we usually eat a late lunch and do resort down-time until 6:30 or so). Last time we stood next to a garbage can. The crowds are awful (especially leaving- we try to stand to the side to let people thin out a bit) and it's hard to find a spot and sometimes hard to see Tink but we always thought that was worth it. A reserved table? Definitely worth it!

I knew coming here would be a good idea!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
jhorstma
Mooseketeer

We did it a week ago Sunday - park was packed so it was very nice to have our own semi-private viewing area, and a real treat to have Tink fly right at us. Think of it as a pleasant albeit expensive way to have VIP viewing of the fireworks away from the hoards, with dessert and coffee thrown in, and you'll enjoy it. Wait for the initial crush of kids to die down before going up for your goodies and you'll have no problems. I got a "you did good" from the wife and 17yo daughter when we went (after putting up with a bunch of griping about the expense), so for me it was money well spent.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
pellegirl
Mouseketeer

You can find positive and negative reviews on anything so you have to look at why you are booking this event. Is it because you want a relaxed atmosphere for the fireworks without having to fight people for a spot? Is it because of the desserts? We have gone twice...2010 and 2012 both over Easter break. In 2010 it was the highlight of our trip. The layout was spacious, you could sit in your chair to watch the fireworks and the desserts were plentiful. In 2012 there was too many tables (they caught onto the idea of putting more tables in to make more money - imagine that!!!! ;-), you had to move to the rail to see the fireworks and the location of the desserts made it very hard to really take your time and get seconds if you wished. Now we are going to WDW this Feb. and I am seriously considering booking this again even though the last time wasn't up to our expectations however if we had never had the 2010 experience we probably would have had a better feeling of it. The main reasons why I am considering booking this again are 1) Tinkerbell - the two previous times she actually did not fly at all and we kept telling our DD she was supposed to fly overhead so we are crossing our fingers the third time will be the charm, 2) dessert buffet even if crowded is still a great way to end the night, 3) the fact that yes you had to go up to the railing to watch but there is enough space and we aren't fighting the main crowds in the park to do so.....so take my opinion for what it is worth...we have had 1 really good experience and 1 not so good but considering doing it again. Good luck and remember you are at Disney!
pellegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
kristainohio
Mouseketeer

One negative review would not change my mind. I read so many positive reviews that we booked ours for the last week of June. I wanted to have a place for my mom to sit (has trouble standing for long periods of time) and I thought it would be great to be out of the crowds. In my opinion the party is not worth it. Our table was placed right next to the buffet and it was very cramped. People were constantly walking by us. We couldn't see since people stood right in front of us and you could not hear the music at all. The desserts were good and it was nice to sit down, but for a fireworks viewing it was not great. The one thing that makes Wishes magical is the music so we were disappointed. I didn't complain or anything, we just chalked it up to something we won't spend our money on again. I rarely find anything at Disney less than satisfactory it's just this didn't live up to the hype I had read.
kristainohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

we did it in 2012 and they had breads, cheeses & crackers with servers cutting for guests in addtion to the sweets. we did it again in March of this year and the breads, cheeses & crackers were gonzo. also, in March, the layouts of hte tables were terrible and hard for guests to navigat as you had to walk thru the crowds getting food in order to get to the dishes & silverware.

all in all we enjoy it and feel it is completely worth it as we like the ability to relax and enjoy the show. the drinks and treats are a bonus in our opinion.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #23
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

I've moved this thread to the Disney Restaurants forum.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
fflmaster
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

deleted since my question was answered

Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Didn't read the replies, but we just attended the party on 8/1 and LOVED it! We had awesome seats, the desserts were plentiful and delicious. There was plenty of room for people to stand at the rail and watch without "fighting" over spots. I don't know what there would've been to complain about???

I never base my decisions off of one bad review. For every bad one, there's typically a good one!

Here's where we were:

'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
Aaeolien
Mouseketeer

We did the party the night of July 5th. It was great. Couldn't have asked for a better way to end our vacation. There was plenty of desserts and plenty to drink. It was so nice to just have a place to spread out and relax before the show starts. I will 100% be booking it on our next trip.

Past trip: 1st trip ever - Sept 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside

Next trip: 4th of July, 2013 - Saratoga Springs

Future Trips: Feb 2014 - Coronado Springs or Beach Club
Aaeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
wannabemini
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the input! I don't think my uncertainty came from just the one review...I had heard many stories like all the ones in this thread--good & "meh"-- but this one I read was from someone who just went last week, so it seemed more timely or something, but I worded so it seemed it was all hanging on the one review--sorry bout that!

My worry is because we're a larger party, we'll get stuck in the back. Are all seatings at 9 pm? I need to go back & re-read, but I think ours says 9:20??

I just hate to plop down the 140+ for the six of us if it's just "meh." That's my worry.

Thanks for listening! Off to pack! We leave in 27 hours!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #28
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemini View Post
Thanks for all the input! I don't think my uncertainty came from just the one review...I had heard many stories like all the ones in this thread--good & "meh"-- but this one I read was from someone who just went last week, so it seemed more timely or something, but I worded so it seemed it was all hanging on the one review--sorry bout that!

My worry is because we're a larger party, we'll get stuck in the back. Are all seatings at 9 pm? I need to go back & re-read, but I think ours says 9:20??

I just hate to plop down the 140+ for the six of us if it's just "meh." That's my worry.

Thanks for listening! Off to pack! We leave in 27 hours!
The seating is based on the order that reservations get placed. The seating time you chose means nothing. Like I said above, we just went on 8/1 - so just about 2 weeks ago. We got in line at 8:35 or so. The party starts at 9. Your seat has already been determined. I stalked the ressie site for weeks waiting for the Aug dates to open. I was able to make our ressie within minutes of those dates being released, so that's why our table was at the front. And really, the seating doesn't matter. Most people go up and stand at the rails once the show starts.
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We did the dessert party in April and enjoyed ourselves. We are glad to have had the experience and may do it again sometime.

I would not base my decision on one review. I like to form my own opinion on things.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #30
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

The way I approach things, it's one event, not a lifetime commitment, no matter the cost! There are way more positive reviews thant bad ones, take a chance!

If you have a sweet tooth, you won't be disapointed and they even have a few savory things like hard cheeses, crackers etc. for those of us like me not so much into sweets!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: