Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
domesticspaz
Earning My Ears

Lunch at MDR restaurants?

We're leaving on the Dream for a 3 night on Thursday (SO EXCITED!). We've sailed twice on the Wonder but the last time was 2008 and I can't remember if the MDR restaurants serve lunch.

We have a Palo reservation for our last night and I don't want to miss Palo - but I'm sort of sad that we'll miss one of the MDR restaurants to go there. So I was thinking maybe we could go to the missed restaurant for lunch. If so, will the experience be somewhat comparable? If not, which restaurant would YOU skip if you had to skip one.

(Our kids - 10, 12, and 13 - will be dining with their older teenage cousins on the night we're in Palo in whatever MDR we skip.)
Disney Wonder - 4 Night Bahamas - 10/16/2005 **Disney World Contemporary Resort - 3 Nights - 10/18 to 10/21/2006 **Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - 10/19/2006 **New Years Eve at WDW - 12/31/2007 **Disney Wonder - 4 Night Bahamas - 10/12/2008 ** WDW 4 Day Family Vacation -March 5 - 9, 2010 ** Camping at Disney's Fort Wilderness with Girl Scouts - 4/20/2011 - 4/22/2011 ** Camping at Disney's Fort Wilderness with Cub Scouts - 1/11/2013 - 1/13/2013
Disney Dream - 3 Night Bahamas - 9/19/2013 [/CENTER]
domesticspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

I would not skip. We book Palo during the opposite time period of our dining assignment on a night we don't like the show.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
babyt
Earning My Ears

I know its hard on a 3 night, but I love Palo too so I would give up one! I personally want the Animators show for the kids this time, so that is the only one I won't miss. If I didn't have kids I would skip Pirate dinner as the menu never really appealed to me, but I love the candid pics with the kids if you do have kids for Pirate night, then don't skip. So, if no kids I would skip Pirate dinner, if you have kids I would try to make the AP show and the Pirate night (might be the same for you), and skip the other night. I also think night one is kind of crazy, so I never mind missing that, but if its your first cruise it is nice to meet your table and servers . . . Last night is fine too on a 3 night because I never feel so connected to a server after 3 nights that I am sad to miss that last night, but it kind of depends on your schedule.
babyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
I would not skip. We book Palo during the opposite time period of our dining assignment on a night we don't like the show.
This is what I did last year worked out great. Had late dining so booked Palo for earliest dinner possible ate there and then went to MDR had a piece of a salad and some soda. It happened to be AP night so it was the Crush show.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

The lunch experience in the MDR isn't really comparable to the dinner experience, unfortunately. I do enjoy lunch at Royal Palace, but its not nearly as good or as extensive as the dinner experience.

They don't serve lunch at Animator's Palatte that I know of. And if they have lunch at Enchanted Garden I think it might be buffet (that's what they do for breakfast, its the same as what's served on the pool deck).

I liked the food the best at Royal Palace, so I'd either A) skip Enchanted Gardens ... or B) go to Palo on your Animator's Palette night, just eat at Palo and go to Animator's for the experience, which was fun. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the food on our AP night. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't memorable.

Since you're leaving Thursday your dining rotation has already been decided for you, so you could call and ask what you're currently missing and see if you want to request a different rotation ...
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticspaz View Post
We're leaving on the Dream for a 3 night on Thursday (SO EXCITED!). We've sailed twice on the Wonder but the last time was 2008 and I can't remember if the MDR restaurants serve lunch.

We have a Palo reservation for our last night and I don't want to miss Palo - but I'm sort of sad that we'll miss one of the MDR restaurants to go there. So I was thinking maybe we could go to the missed restaurant for lunch. If so, will the experience be somewhat comparable? If not, which restaurant would YOU skip if you had to skip one.

(Our kids - 10, 12, and 13 - will be dining with their older teenage cousins on the night we're in Palo in whatever MDR we skip.)
I wouldn't want to miss any of the resturants including Palo. Not all the MDR restaurants serve lunch so you might not be able to have lunch at the resturant you plan on miss on you last night. Lunch in the MDR is not the same experience as dinner but I like it because it is not as crowded and casual. Have you considered changing your Palo reservation to brunch instead of dinner so you can still visit all the resturants?
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Typically there's only 1 MDR open for lunch, and it's just ok. The MDR open for breakfast is a sit down, but the food is just the same as up at the buffet, so I've never seen much reason to go there, other than to be "served". Considering how I look in the mornings, stumbling around trying to get my coffee, I'd rather not face a an upbeat, cheery server that early in the morning.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

The Enchanted Garden will be open for breakfast and lunch. It is set up with a buffet (similar to Cabanas) but you will be directed to a table and a server will bring you your drinks, etc. as opposed to Cabanas where you have to get your own drinks and find your own table.

The Royal Palace will be open (except for embarktion day) for a sit down breakfast and/or lunch. There is a limited menu (not as extensive as the dinner menus).

Obviously breakfast and lunch is served buffet style in Cabanas and you have room service and fast food options available.

You will need to check your Navigator for the hours of service as they are not all open for the same amount of time.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
I wouldn't want to miss any of the resturants including Palo. Not all the MDR restaurants serve lunch so you might not be able to have lunch at the resturant you plan on miss on you last night. Lunch in the MDR is not the same experience as dinner but I like it because it is not as crowded and casual. Have you considered changing your Palo reservation to brunch instead of dinner so you can still visit all the resturants?
3 nights don't have sea days so no brunch.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
domesticspaz
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone.

I'm just not going to stress about it. We're having dinner at Palo with my mom, dad, two sisters, and their husbands so it's not really flexible enough for me to change things around.

We'll inevitably miss something but we decided we're just going to try and enjoy every moment and not stress about what we can't get to.

We'll just have to book another cruise to experience what we missed!
Disney Wonder - 4 Night Bahamas - 10/16/2005 **Disney World Contemporary Resort - 3 Nights - 10/18 to 10/21/2006 **Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - 10/19/2006 **New Years Eve at WDW - 12/31/2007 **Disney Wonder - 4 Night Bahamas - 10/12/2008 ** WDW 4 Day Family Vacation -March 5 - 9, 2010 ** Camping at Disney's Fort Wilderness with Girl Scouts - 4/20/2011 - 4/22/2011 ** Camping at Disney's Fort Wilderness with Cub Scouts - 1/11/2013 - 1/13/2013
Disney Dream - 3 Night Bahamas - 9/19/2013 [/CENTER]
domesticspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

I'm like you- don't ever want to miss a restaurant but be assured that no matter what is on the MDR menu, the food in Palo will far exceed it! Did I say FAR?? Just got off the dream and our entire party (including 10 adults) would chose EG to skip. Enjoy!!!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
KWithers
Mouseketeer

If you get a choice, I'd skip EG. Did not care for the food choices there..the hair in my salad didn't help either lol.

We did lunch at RP, and it was very good. Definitely a different experience than dinner though. But we wanted something different than Cabanas. I recommend it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: