Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

Jiko. What app and entree do you recommend?

It's been a few years since I've dined at jiko and the menu has changed. Tell me your favorite dishes there.

TIA
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

The two best Apps I have ever had were at Jiko

Za'atar-rubbed Lamb - cranberry pear chutney, Point Reyes Blue Cheese $12.00

Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin - with Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, White Truffle Oil and Micro Cilantro $16.00

Both of these were AMAZING!!!

For an entree I ordered the Filet with the Mac and Cheese

I have heard Fantastic things about the Scallops too
WDWFANCBIIIME is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
starousse
DIS Veteran

The chicken flatbread app was AMAZING. I had the filet for an entree, which was great too.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Jetta8300
Mouseketeer

On both of our past trips, we did all signatures and checked the menus before we went and even while we were there online. Not one menu was the same as the one posted online. On the actual Disney website or otherwise. The menus change it seems weekly or even daily. I remember the last time we went to Flying Fish on a Monday, and by Saturday it was different, and neither menu was the one posted online.
Jetta8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta8300 View Post
The menus change it seems weekly or even daily.
Some items on the menu might change frequently, but the majority of the menu stays the same for the season. The Signatures tend to change their menus with the seasons (to highlight seasonal vegetables and meats), but I really doubt the entire menu change weekly or daily (except maybe at V&A). Perhaps you went when they were changing over the menu for the new season. I've been to a few Signatures more than once over the span of two weeks and the menu stayed the same, but some items had changed from the last time I'd been, which was six months earlier.

For Jiko, my favorite appetizer is the Inguday Tibs in Brik. For my entree I like the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon. For dessert, it's a toss up between One Last Cup and Kenyan Coffee Creme Brulee. It's the only creme brulee I've every liked!
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
shortypots
DIS Veteran

Everytime we go, one of us gets the Corvina fish entree. It is covered in cornmeal then sauteed and covered in a tomato butter. Oh it is heavenly. We argue over who is going to get it.

DH loves the flatbreads which change daily based on ingredients, so you never know what you are going to see on the menu.

I used to love the ostrich with sweet potato hash for an app, it was incredible, but sadly they took it off the menu. Otherwise, I usually get the cheese plate as it is my favorite Signature dining app.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Two favorite appetizers were the Wild Boar Tenderloin and the Inguday Tibs in Brik. For an entree I enjoyed the filet.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

Thanks for the replies so far. Last time I was the I had soup and filet. I've decided to order different things this time. Mmmmmm
Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
princesslilobess
Earning My Ears

I loved the duck at Jiko, and my husband had the best mussels we have ever eaten for an app. Don't know if either are on the menu anymore. I also had a pistachio creme brulee as a special birthday dessert that changed my mind to the positive about creme brulee forever!
princesslilobess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslilobess View Post
I loved the duck at Jiko, and my husband had the best mussels we have ever eaten for an app. Don't know if either are on the menu anymore. I also had a pistachio creme brulee as a special birthday dessert that changed my mind to the positive about creme brulee forever!
Thank you. I think the do still have a duck dish. But I don't think the mussels were. And the desserts sound yummy.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

We had dinner there last week and it was fabulous. We had the wild boar appetizer and also a flat bread names after Roxanne who had just left to go back to South Africa. I had the short ribs and DD had the filet. Both were delicious. I got the tea safari for dessert and it was perfect. Best meal of the week. We sat at the chef's table and really enjoyed talking with them.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #12
karenklo
DIS Veteran

We were there last month and last year-both times the wild boar and duck were fantastic!!! IT is our favorite place to eat at WDW!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Jetta8300
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
Some items on the menu might change frequently, but the majority of the menu stays the same for the season. The Signatures tend to change their menus with the seasons (to highlight seasonal vegetables and meats), but I really doubt the entire menu change weekly or daily (except maybe at V&A). Perhaps you went when they were changing over the menu for the new season. I've been to a few Signatures more than once over the span of two weeks and the menu stayed the same, but some items had changed from the last time I'd been, which was six months earlier.

For Jiko, my favorite appetizer is the Inguday Tibs in Brik. For my entree I like the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon. For dessert, it's a toss up between One Last Cup and Kenyan Coffee Creme Brulee. It's the only creme brulee I've every liked!
It is definitely possible they were changing seasons, however it was like this both times we went, in October and May. For example, in October they still had the filet with Mac and cheese online, we were excited about that. Well we get there, and its filet with augratin potatoes and broccoli. Then later in the week it was filet with rice and something else. (Right now it's says with Brussel sprouts and whole grain pilaf...ick! Haha). They always had filet, duck, short ribs, etc. but were changed upa bit differently. The flatbreads were entirely different too!

People always say, "I had the duck and it was great!" Or I had the filet and it was great! But it might have been a totally different meal with the same meat. Same with flying fish. I got scallops with a pea risotto early in the week, later in the week it was scallops with Parmesan risotto, and on the online menu it was pumpkin risotto. So I'm just saying we were looking forward to some of the things we saw online and they weren't exactly the same.

I know they all have one or two dishes that never change that are supposed to be their signature dishes, but at jiko it was supposed to be the filet with Mac and cheese and even that changed.

EVERY meal we had in disney was very good and we were never disappointed with the changes though! We are not picky!

Last edited by Jetta8300; 08-14-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Jetta8300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: