Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
mrqster
Earning My Ears

How long is the wait in the RSR fast pass line? Child swap?

I am going to DL in Nov with my wife, DD10, DD6, DD4, and DS3. My youngest is just under 40".

How long is the wait in the RSR fast pass line? Does it vary during the day like the regular line? Would if be shorter at 10pm at night vs at 3pm? The reason I am asking is that we are going to use child swap. If it is going to be a "long" wait at 3pm, I was just going to return at night.

I would first get 6 fast passes for the family like everyone else. Then, I would talk to the first CM and show them my son and get a child swap pass. Then, my three daughter and I will enter the fast pass line with our fast passes. My wife will wait with our son outside the ride.

With the child swap pass, does she go to the front of the line with one daughter (skipping the fast pass line)? If she has to go through the fast pass line, it seems like she has a "double" wait? This seems to defeat the purpose of the "child swap" (not waiting twice), since we already have 2 unused fast passes.
mrqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Child swap usually goes through the FP line. I haven't done child swap at RSR so I'm not positive for this particular ride. Also remember that you are limited to the one hour window on the FP now that they are enforcing times.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
bcla
DIS Veteran

Got one but didn't actually use it. My wife did single rider and got me the pass, but the CM said that I should go through single rider again since the line was shorter than the FP line.

You get a pass on a lanyard at the entrance if you can show the kid who isn't riding. That's swapped later for the final pass near the ride loading area.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
jacs1234
DIS Veteran

Feed him loads of vegetables so he grows quickly lol. I really hope he goes through a growth spurt before you go. It would be a bugger not to be able to take your little man on the cars ride.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrqster View Post
I am going to DL in Nov with my wife, DD10, DD6, DD4, and DS3. My youngest is just under 40".

How long is the wait in the RSR fast pass line? Does it vary during the day like the regular line? Would if be shorter at 10pm at night vs at 3pm? The reason I am asking is that we are going to use child swap. If it is going to be a "long" wait at 3pm, I was just going to return at night.

I would first get 6 fast passes for the family like everyone else. Then, I would talk to the first CM and show them my son and get a child swap pass. Then, my three daughter and I will enter the fast pass line with our fast passes. My wife will wait with our son outside the ride.

With the child swap pass, does she go to the front of the line with one daughter (skipping the fast pass line)? If she has to go through the fast pass line, it seems like she has a "double" wait? This seems to defeat the purpose of the "child swap" (not waiting twice), since we already have 2 unused fast passes.
She does go down the FP line and the child swap is good for two people. So she could take all 3 kids who are tall enough back on with her (2 with the child swap and 2 with the FPs) and the could all ride with her. Or if she is wanting to ride by herself, forget about the child swap and just have her do SR.

ETA: How much below 40 in is your son? My DS was just shy during our trip last June, but was tall enough in October, so he may make the height requirement by Nov.

Upcoming: Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH), Oct. '14 (DLH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12
DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
mummabear
DIS Veteran

I will assume that the FP/Rider swap system has the same rules between DL and WDW so we were told (and did on our 28 day trip without question) that we only needed to pull a FP for each person initally riding and they give you the child swap which is good for 3 people.
So in your case only pull 3 or 4 FP's then get the rider swap for the others and use your other 2 or 3 tickets to pull FP's for another ride (which you may also be able to get rider swap for therefore getting everyone through the FP lines for 2 rides using only 6 FP's

Last edited by mummabear; 08-24-2013 at 05:40 AM. Reason: typo
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
jeaneg
Mouseketeer

At DL, the rider swap pass only works for 2 people, not 3. Also, RSR isn't connected for fastpasses; you can get one for another ride without waiting. It's even printed on the bottom of the fastpass.

DLR: June 2009, March 2011 (Hyatt OC), July 2012 (Grand Californian), May 2013, July 2013 (Paradise Pier)
WDW: February 2010 (Grand Floridian), December 2012 (Yacht Club)
jeaneg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaneg View Post
At DL, the rider swap pass only works for 2 people, not 3. Also, RSR isn't connected for fastpasses; you can get one for another ride without waiting. It's even printed on the bottom of the fastpass.
This is not technically correct. When we used child swap at Maters Junkyard Jamboree the CM very specifically told us the child swap was good for one tractor-worth of people, however many that would be with our group. We did 3. I don't know if RSR is 2 people or one row, which would be three. My guess would be 2, as they can fill the third seat, but it is not always only 2 people for a child swap so I would ask.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

Anyone at CA now (saturday the 24th)?

What are the turnstiles like? crowd?
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
mrqster
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJamieCA View Post
She does go down the FP line and the child swap is good for two people. So she could take all 3 kids who are tall enough back on with her (2 with the child swap and 2 with the FPs) and the could all ride with her. Or if she is wanting to ride by herself, forget about the child swap and just have her do SR.

ETA: How much below 40 in is your son? My DS was just shy during our trip last June, but was tall enough in October, so he may make the height requirement by Nov.
My son is almost 39" with shoes on. He might make it, but we are prepared if he is not tall enough.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
rwhistler92
Mouseketeer

RSR rider swap is only good for 2 people.
Pull a FP using all your tickets. Use your FP at the first part of your return time. Ask for a Riders swap pass and use it with your 2 remaining FP so none of the kids tall enough get left behind and can ride it 2 times.
This worked out really well when we went with our 4 kids, the youngest being too short for FP rides.
rwhistler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Seamama
Mouseketeer

yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhistler92 View Post
RSR rider swap is only good for 2 people.
Pull a FP using all your tickets. Use your FP at the first part of your return time. Ask for a Riders swap pass and use it with your 2 remaining FP so none of the kids tall enough get left behind and can ride it 2 times.
This worked out really well when we went with our 4 kids, the youngest being too short for FP rides.
This is exactly what we did and it works great!

Also, you might know all this stuff but we were newbies last time and had no idea what was going on, so we learned the hard way... If it's not info you need, hopefully it'll be helpful for others:

Be sure to wait outside CA Adventure at least 1/2 hr (or more) before it opens on the day you want to ride RSR. IMPORTANT: Your whole family needs to enter the park w/ you. If you let them sleep in and just take their cards, you won't be able to get them FP's b/c they haven't been personally scanned into the park yet.

As soon as you get in, take everyone's passes and go straight to the FP machines for RSR. (Don't bring everyone, they'll just slow you down and actually the CM's encourage you to send one person per group anyway).

NOTE: FP machines for RSR are NOT located near RSR. Instead, they're located near Bug's Land. The line gets long quickly and actually goes even around the restaurant there that looks like a CA mission (sorry, forgot the name of it). So if you see a line forming that far out, get in it.

Don't worry that the FP line is long- remember, it's just the FP line so it goes quickly. If you're there within a few hours of park opening, you should get a FP for RSR. And you definitely want one. It's over 2 hrs if you just wait in line w/out one! Good luck. :-)
Seamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
wrightut
Earning My Ears

Just to answer your question about time in the FP line, we went Aug 6th through 8th. We rode RSR three times and the FP line was between 10 and 15 minutes each time we went through.

I don't think the single rider line is necessarily shorter. I think it does move fairly quickly, but it seemed longer than the FP line. I heard a CM say that the SR line was 25 minutes, which is longer than we waited in the FP line.

Oh and our FP return times were anywhere from 9:30 to 11:30. We typically went at the beginning of our window.

Hope that helps.
wrightut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
mrqster
Earning My Ears

Thanks for everyone's replies.

10-15 minutes is not too bad. I guess it would a consistent wait time in the fast pass line since they are enforcing the return times now.

I guess with child swap we do have to wait twice. But I will take everyone's advice and have my older kids ride it twice. First with me with the 4 fast passes. Then with my wife (child swap pass and the two left over fast passes) will take my 3 daughters again. I will then watch my son.

I guess the CM's don't care if my daughters use my son's and wife's fast passes?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
jacs1234
DIS Veteran

They will have no idea who's fast pass is who's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: