Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

Snorkel Gear Rental or Bring Your Own at Castaway Cay?

How is the rental snorkel equipment at Castaway Cay? I cannot decide between bringing our own or just renting through Disney. Friends of ours who cruise a lot always carry their own for sanitary reasons, but it does take up a ton of space in the luggage. I have a 6 year old-does Disney have all the smaller sizes of fins for her? If Disney's equipment is so-so we will probably bring our own but if what they rent is better than what we have and cleaned between each use-then renting would be better!!
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

Decent quality. Appears to be standard disinfection, so I assume very clean.

Cost is $25 per person, so if you have you own, I'd bring it. I will do that on my next cruise. Snorkels are standard snorkels, not dry snorkels.

If you bring your own gear, you still need a vest, which I've read is provided for free.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Definitely bring your own. Its so handy. Ive also determined that I only like a pair of goggles (if I need to see clearly) and my monofin tail for propulsion. I can't pressurize with a mask I think because the air is trapped. They leak a bunch and I get tired biting in that thing. So I just like to swim with goggles and fins.

There is plenty to see too!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
mordecai
Mouseketeer

I'm going to bring my own simply because I have a nice set. We debated this for the kids and are simply going to rent for them seeing as how they're still growing and will only use it once or twice can't justify the cost of buying. We rented the snorkel/mask at Castaway last year and my only complaint is the mask kept fogging up. I tried the "spit in it" thing but that didn't work . I haven't tried this yet but I've heard that using baby shampoo on the inside helps, so I'm trying that this year.

Also they have tons of sizes for kids so I wouldn't worry about that. My son was 7 last year and they had stuff to fit him.

They do provide the vests free if you have your own snorkel equipment.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
We rented the snorkel/mask at Castaway last year and my only complaint is the mask kept fogging up. I tried the "spit in it" thing but that didn't work . I haven't tried this yet but I've heard that using baby shampoo on the inside helps, so I'm trying that this year.
You can buy anti-fog sprays at places like Dicks Sporting Goods (and probably more places.) I always bring it with me.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

Definitely bring your own, especially with a child (harder to find the right size for them). You can buy a decent set for the cost of the rental and you know who has had their mouth on it! I am a scuba instructor so I am pretty picky about my gear.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
You can buy anti-fog sprays at places like Dicks Sporting Goods (and probably more places.) I always bring it with me.
I read a lot of scuba forums and most of them recommend baby wash as it's non-irritating to the eyes and significantly cheaper than the anti-fog stuff. With kids around, we have plenty "left over". I'll let you know how it works shortly...
Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I like the baby wash idea. I'm going to try that. I bought three sets of mask, snorkel, and fins for myself, DH, and DS for our upcming cruise. I think I paid about $40 a set, so that seemed worth it to me.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
I read a lot of scuba forums and most of them recommend baby wash as it's non-irritating to the eyes and significantly cheaper than the anti-fog stuff. With kids around, we have plenty "left over". I'll let you know how it works shortly...
I move between defog and baby shampoo. Both work (most of the time) and I've never been able to figure out which one is truly better.

But either way, make sure you dilute the baby shampoo before applying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: