Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
amazingact21
Upendi

I Suppose the Baby Can Come, As Well-A December 2013 PTR Updated 12/13* TR Link Up

Introductions:

Itís time to play the musicÖ

Itís time to light the lightsÖ..

Itís time to meet the cast!

Hello, everyone. Welcome, welcome, to my 3rd pre-trip report here on the lovely and all-knowing DISboards. While Iíve had the dates for this trip set since May, I debated creating a PTR for it. Would I have enough time? Would I have enough content? Would it be worth the read?

For the longest time, I answered those questions with a resounding no, but then plans started to formulate, reservations began piling up, and schedule shifted around. It all became a little overwhelming, and just when I was about to pull my hair out from frustration, I realized I needed something to keep my ducks in a row. There needed to be some order brought to the chaos that was my Disney plans!

And, as such, I fell upon the realization that a pre-trip report was, in fact, in order.

Hence, this gem of a thread.

To begin this pre-trip report off right, let me first tell you who all will be undertaking this grand adventure.

First off, thereís me:

I am Alicia, 23, and Iíll be your guide throughout this recap and continuing journey through my familyís Disney planning stages.

Most of you probably already know me through my previous 3 trip reports that I have written. Or perhaps the cruise thread. Maybe youíve seen me popping in and out on the events/competition portion of the W.I.S.H. section. Or you might even recognize my username from the December 2013 trip thread. I tend to travel around here on the boards. I promise Iím a friendly sort of gal, and while I have been known to slack on updates (see my year and a half long May TR) I believe this PTR will be more consistent.

For those of you who havenít the slightest idea who I am, Iím a pretty open book.

Disney has been a passion of mine for a number of years, the beginning of which can be traced back to my Lion King VHS tapes.

At 23, I tend to take life in stride, and thereís not much that wonít make me smile.

Covering the Disney basics, for me: Magic Kingdomís my favorite park, Thunder Mtn my favorite coaster, Pirates my favorite dark ride, and FotLK my favorite show.

Myself, along with the rest of my party, love to let our inner child out while at Disney World, and our goofiness becomes quite apparent to anyone and everyone around.

The next person setting sail with me is my partner in crime, my fellow Disney addict, my Chip to his Dale, my darling husband, Alex:

Alex has accompanied me on 5 Disney trips and one cruise. There was a short period of time when he wasnít with me for a portion of a Disney trip, and the world just didnít feel quite the same without him beside me.

No matter what he says, Alexís favorite thing to do at Disney is shop. He collects pins, and is an avid Vinylmation trader. Heís constantly on the lookout for unique and witty Disney tees, and if thereís nothing on the shelves that beg to be purchased, heís more than content to peruse.

While more reserved than me about his happiness to be at Disney, Alex does have those occurrences where you can see that silly grin come over his face and you just know heís living in the Disney moment.

Another member who has decided to join us again is my mother, Zelda:

I took her on her first on-site, weeklong vacation in May of 2012, and she fell head over heels in love with Walt Disney World. Already a huge fan of the films, my mom discovered the food, the resort, and the guest treatment all add up to create the magical atmosphere that is the Disney experience.

And donít let her age fool youÖshe can be silly as the rest of us crazy folks:

For awhile, my mom was on the fence about going on another Disney trip so soon, but then her title of ďmomĒ was graduated to the title of ďgrandmaĒ and thatís all she wrote. She wasnít going to miss her first grandchildís first trip to Disney for anything.

Speaking of child, I guess itís about time I introduce the newest cast member.

His very first intro:

Everyone, meet Landon:

Landon is Alexís and Iís first kid; born back in April heís a little firecracker of a boy who Iím sure will give us a run for our money on this upcoming Disney trip.

This will be his first time going to Disney World. Unless you want to count the 2 times he tagged along while I was pregnant with him. And while he did show his excitement for certain attractions by kicking me senseless, Iím disqualifying those trips on the basis of him not being able to see any of the iconic sights.

Landon will turn 8 months old on our last day of the trip. Under a year is a little earlier than Iíd planned on taking him, but we decided a December trip would fit perfectly in place after a trip to see family for Thanksgiving.

While I am clueless as to what to expect with a 7-month old Landon, I can say for sure that a 4-month old Landon will absolutely love all the lights in the parks and any character with a purple outfit. Most notably, Lotso and Rapunzel.

Now that the boring Ďol introductions have been made, Iíll be back later to discuss my dates for the trip and where we will all be staying!
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR

Last edited by amazingact21; 12-13-2013 at 03:45 PM.
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
amazingact21
Upendi

Reserved for Chapter Links

The Dates
The Resort
Deal or No Deal
To Do Lists
Day 1 Plans
Day 2 Plans
A Few Odds and Ends
What a Weekend Pt. 1
What a Weekend Pt. 2
Day 3 Plans
Signs the Trip is Getting Closer
Magicband Arrival and More
Day 4 Plans
Day 5 Plans
Day 6 Plans
Sick!
7 Days to Go
Back Home
TR Link
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR

Last edited by amazingact21; 12-13-2013 at 03:45 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

First?

Yay first!

Great intro, Landon is getting so big! And he's so frickin cute!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Last edited by teekathepony; 08-12-2013 at 06:13 PM.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

I'm here, I'm here and will gladly take 2nd! Goodness knows, I wouldn't miss another Alicia and family trippe!

Oh, I can't wait to hear all about your plans and such, and I can't wait to hear what Landon thinks of the World! This is going to be awesome!!!!
UGAFan0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

Following along. I must admit that I am jealous. We usually go to WDW in Dec., but no trip this year.

Landon is precious!

Me DH DD DS
MagicShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
First?

Yay first!

Great intro, Landon is getting so big! And he's so frickin cute!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks! We call him a chunk monster, because he's so big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
I'm here, I'm here and will gladly take 2nd! Goodness knows, I wouldn't miss another Alicia and family trippe!

Oh, I can't wait to hear all about your plans and such, and I can't wait to hear what Landon thinks of the World! This is going to be awesome!!!!

Thanks for joining, Missy! We're all pretty excited to see how Landon reacts to Disney World.

And what's this I see in your signature? You have a trip coming up?!? Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along.

Thanks for following me over here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
Following along. I must admit that I am jealous. We usually go to WDW in Dec., but no trip this year.

Landon is precious!

Aww, Disney in December is the best; I can completely understand why you usually visit during that time. I'm sorry you can't make it down there this year.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
amazingact21
Upendi

The Dates

*Because this update is going to severely lack in pictures, I figured Iíd throw in a cute photo of Landon to make this worth your while.*

His dadís uniform hat looks adorable on him, but I think his face is suited more for Mickey ears.

Now that I have divulged who all is going to Disney World with me, itís about time I discussed the specifics of the trip.

The Dates:

Our official dates are:

December 1st through December 8th.

Which is a Sunday to a Sunday, in case anyone was curious.

I will admit, I had a very hard time choosing when we were going to go. Like every detail of this vacation, nothing came easy.

Around the beginning of May I began putting serious thought into when I wanted to return to Disney. Normally, Alex and I wouldíve already been back to Orlando already (our last trip was December 16th) but with a new baby our life couldnít handle anything outside the typical schedule of work, sleep, eat, function, etc. Plus, summer was about to arrive and FL is too hot to have a newborn outdoors.

I always knew, even back on our last day trip that December would be the absolute earliest we could go.

The biggest issue lied in the exact dates.

I wanted to be settled back at home for Christmas, but I wanted our trip to be late enough to be able to really enjoy the holiday spirit around the parks.

Really, the only thing I knew for sure was that we all wanted to go for a week.

Alex has never been to WDW for that long before, and I felt that for such a long break in between visits, the 3 of us deserved to take a few extra days for ourselves. It will have been a year for the two of us, and a year and a half for my mom since we all stepped foot inside the parks; that warrants a weeklong stay, in my opinion.

At least, thatís how I justified taking the 7 nights.

So, for a few days, I formulated a plan that would have us arriving on the 3rd and leaving on the 10th.

Then, that shifted to the 5th through the 11th.

At one point, I cut it back to the 7th through the 12th.

There were so many days decided upon it was ridiculous.

Eventually, I realized that a Thanksgiving at Alexís parents was due, so I scratched all my old plans and began forming a trip around the holiday timeframe. I discovered that Thanksgiving falls on the last Thursday before December, so it seemed only logical to have us leave Alexís familyís place the following Sunday and head straight to Disney.

Hence, the 1st-8th.

It took me almost 3 weeks to finally set those dates in stone, and even then I had a lot of trepidation about them.

Still do, actually.

There is a lot going on that week in Disney, and a part of me doesnít want to be anywhere near the chaos while its underway.

Thereís the Pop Warner kids arriving on the 6th.

In fact, my dates were finalized at the 8th through the 14th (I even announced them to my family) but when I learned about Pop Warnerís schedule I immediately switched.

Then, thereís the Christmas Parade Taping thatíll most likely occur on the 7th in the Magic Kingdom.

Itís typically that first weekend in December, and while I can simply avoid going to Magic Kingdom during that weekend, it kind of stinks to be limited to when I can and shouldnít go.

It doesnít sound important, but All Star Sportís Food Court will be under refurb throughout our stay. They plan on having shuttles to take guests to the other All Stars to use their facilities. And while, no, this isnít the biggest snag weíve encountered, it does play a role in our trip, as Iíll discuss later on in this PTR.

Despite all my complaining and griping about the struggle to find a convenient slot and having to work around special events, I am excited to see Disney during this time. Iíve been twice in mid-December, and if the parks are half as magical as they were then, Iíll have the time of my life.

I have read countless trip reports that claim these first few weeks in December are the best, because the Thanksgiving crowds have dispersed and the holiday masses havenít made their way down yet.

The weather is supposedly fair, the lines for attractions short. The holiday decorations will be in full force and the typically early opening hours will work well with our babyís schedule.

It was a long road getting there, but now I am looking forward to our first week of December choice.

Up nextÖ.If I Thought the Dates were DifficultÖ.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
jewels1916
Why do all my dreams extend just around the riverbend?

Hi Alicia! Landon is ADORABLE!

Your planning style, at least in picking dates sounds a bit like mine..."well, if I do these dates....but if I go these dates...." In fact, I was doing that yesterday for December 2014....so...far...away!

I love Disney in December, it's extra magical. I can't wait to hear about more of your plans, so I am subbing!

Courtney
'89 - off site (age 4) - DMom DDad Me '94 - off site (age 9) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DGrandparents '99 - All-Star Movies (age 14) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DSister '02 - All-Star Sports (age 16) - Contest of Champions - Dance Team '06 - Wilderness Lodge (age 21) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DSister '08 - Contemporary (age 23) - Finished Grad School - DMom DDad Me Dec. '09 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (age 24) - MVMCP - BFF Kelly Me May/June 2010 - POFQ/Pop (age 25) - BFF Kelly and Disboards BFF PiperMae Oct. '12 - Land and Sea Boardwalk/DCL Dream (age 27) - MNSSHP - BFF Joey and Fam Feb. '13 - Polynesian (age 27) - Sister's 21st bday - DMom, DDad, DSis

jewels1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Landon is so, so, so adorable. Look at those cheeks!
Great week to stay. I wish I could go a little closer to Christmas (we go Nov. 11-18) but at work we take and print the Santa Claus photos in the mall, it's our busiest time of year and my boss wouldn't be too happy if I missed any of it! Hahaha oh well, I still get to enjoy much of the atmosphere.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Hooray for December!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post

Thanks for joining, Missy! We're all pretty excited to see how Landon reacts to Disney World.

And what's this I see in your signature? You have a trip coming up?!? Yay!
Look at you paying attention and all! Indeed, we do have a trip, and I am SOOOO excited. Granted, it's only for 4 nights, but I'm beyond excited that I will be in the Magic Kingdom on my Birthday, AND, I get to eat breakfast with my favorite bear. (Though I do have to admit that I'm a little nervous about it after reading about your experience there in May)!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

I absolutely love the way you think and the reasoning behind a whole week in Disney--it's genius I tell ya!

I have to admit that I'm a bit envious of your dates! Mike and I have been dreaming of visiting the World during December for years, but we just haven't made it. I can't wait to live it through your report!!

I agree, Landon is quite adorable in Alex's hat!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels1916 View Post
Hi Alicia! Landon is ADORABLE!

Your planning style, at least in picking dates sounds a bit like mine..."well, if I do these dates....but if I go these dates...." In fact, I was doing that yesterday for December 2014....so...far...away!

I love Disney in December, it's extra magical. I can't wait to hear about more of your plans, so I am subbing!

Courtney

Welcome! Thanks for joining!

Usually I'm not so scatterbrained when it comes to planning trips, but this year I've just been all over the place. It seems like I can't make my mind up at all. And I don't think Dec. 2014 is too far away to beginning setting things in motion. Of course, this is coming from someone who's already got a tentative Nov. 2014 trip in the works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Landon is so, so, so adorable. Look at those cheeks!
Great week to stay. I wish I could go a little closer to Christmas (we go Nov. 11-18) but at work we take and print the Santa Claus photos in the mall, it's our busiest time of year and my boss wouldn't be too happy if I missed any of it! Hahaha oh well, I still get to enjoy much of the atmosphere.

Yeah, I'm sure that's a pretty inconvienent time for you to visit WDW. I didn't even think of that, but now I can only imagine how busy you photographers must be with Santa photos.
It's nice that Disney puts up their decorations so early in November, so that people who do have to work a lot in December still get the opportunity to enjoy the festivities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm here! Hooray for December!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hi Marissa! Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Look at you paying attention and all! Indeed, we do have a trip, and I am SOOOO excited. Granted, it's only for 4 nights, but I'm beyond excited that I will be in the Magic Kingdom on my Birthday, AND, I get to eat breakfast with my favorite bear. (Though I do have to admit that I'm a little nervous about it after reading about your experience there in May)!

Oh, that's fantastic! When's your birthday? Mine's the 21st, no idea ours were so close!
And 4 nights is better than no nights! Where are you staying? Anything planned?

And don't worry too much about Crystal Palace, I honestly think it was just a bad day and I picked a horrible time. It's way too popular here on the DISboards to be like that all the time. Plus, my mom LOVED the food and asked if we could go back, so not to worry. I'm sure you're going to have a great experience there. And Pooh bear is so fun to meet!

Quote:
I absolutely love the way you think and the reasoning behind a whole week in Disney--it's genius I tell ya!

I have to admit that I'm a bit envious of your dates! Mike and I have been dreaming of visiting the World during December for years, but we just haven't made it. I can't wait to live it through your report!!

I agree, Landon is quite adorable in Alex's hat!

As much as I love visiting Disney during May and even October, nothing quite beats Disney World in December. It's stunning, and some of my favorite Disney memories occured while on Holiday trips, so it was only fitting I take Landon for the first time during then.
You and Mike HAVE to go one day. There's so much to do! There's always this December....

Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

I think you chose a perfect time to go! Waiting for more details.

By the way, thanks for sharing pictures of Landon. I love looking at cute baby pictures!

Me DH DD DS
MagicShell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: