Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #61
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

This is actually a very interesting thread. I've always been on the side that travel insurance (except for certain items listed below) is not a wise investment. The cost of the premium was 6-7% of the trip cost and just not worth it to me.

I've only purchased insurance on remote hiking trips (Andes, Patagonia, East Africa) where I was very concerned about the cost of medical evac. Plus I have a separate insurance policy that covers my scuba diving, since decompression chambers and medical evacs from 200 miles off shore would not be cheap. But my dive policy is $50 per year for that coverage.

I've always looked at vacation expense as a sunk cost. Yes, I'd hate to lose the money if we couldn't go, but when I looked at the premium as a percentage of cost, basically, I could take 14 insurance free vacations and get the 15 for free, if I allocated the insurance premium to future trips instead of purchasing insurance.

The concern people have raised about medical needs while on the trip is something I'll have to ponder.

The numbers people are quoting for insurance will at least make me look at that again.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #62
allbluezoo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan View Post
This is actually a very interesting thread. I've always been on the side that travel insurance (except for certain items listed below) is not a wise investment. The cost of the premium was 6-7% of the trip cost and just not worth it to me. .
I don't like sharing numbers, but for the sake of helping a fellow cruiser - our total cruise cost is $5776 and the insurance is $124 through USAA/their affiliate. Roughly 2% of the cruise cost....if my math is right (I'm barely into my first cup of coffee!) MARKEDLY LESS than what DCL offers!!!
allbluezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #64
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

I don't normally buy trip insurance (and never buy the "protection plans" for TV's and such) but we did buy travel insurance for our trip last year. We were on the Fantasy in mid-August (hurricane weather) and spent 3 days pre-cruise at Universal. If I remember correctly, the total trip cost somewhere around $7,000 for 2 adults & 2 16 year old "kids". Our trip insurance cost just under $200 (again IIRC, $196). Well worth the price for a HUGE peace of mind IMHO!

I'll never forget the post where a family wound up missing their spring break cruise due to severe thunderstorms and a canceled flight. No trip insurance. So no cruise and no money back to schedule a make-up cruise.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #65
slindamood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan View Post

I've always looked at vacation expense as a sunk cost. Yes, I'd hate to lose the money if we couldn't go, but when I looked at the premium as a percentage of cost, basically, I could take 14 insurance free vacations and get the 15 for free, if I allocated the insurance premium to future trips instead of purchasing insurance.

The concern people have raised about medical needs while on the trip is something I'll have to ponder.

The numbers people are quoting for insurance will at least make me look at that again.
Our thinking is the same. With respect to cruise cancellation insurance, I am out the money for the cruise, but I would be out that money anyway. The next year, the next month will be no different than it would have been with the cruise.

However, medical is now a concern after having watched an evacuation on our cruise last December. Plus, we take a 3 week cycling trip on our own each summer in Europe, which is not risk free.

SO - we recently purchased travel insurance that covers all travel for a year but does not include trip cancellation. The coverage provides a high amount for medical (20K per person per trip) and medical evacuation (250K per person per trip) as well as a few other benefits like $500 trip delay. We got ours from Nationwide, but other companies have similar. Just fill in $1 where it says "cost of trip." Ours is $69 each per year but cheaper policies are available that provide lower limits.
November 2007 Thanksgiving Wonder
August 2007 Westbound Transatlantic Magic
November 2005 Thanksgiving Wonder
December 2002 pre-Christmas Magic
December 2001 Christmas Magic
DVC member since 1998 - BoardWalk Villas
slindamood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #66
tankin
Mouseketeer

I always but trip insurance for any trip I can't afford to walk away from. This policy saved us last Christmas. We were scheduled to sail on the Dream just after Christmas. On the morning we were scheduled to leave, I got up to find that the airline had cancelled our flight. As I'm on the phone trying to figure out how to get to FL from OH (they could get us there on Jan 2nd), I hear a moan from the bathroom and my wife has woken up with a serious case of the stomach flu. After her visit to Urgent Care, we shortly found out that our kids also had the stomach flu. To say the least, driving (our last ditch back up plan) wasn't going to happen.

Our insurance covered us at 100%. Everything I couldn't get covered by the providers was covered. In fact, it allowed us to take a 7 day on the Fantasy over Spring Break instead of the 5 Day at Christmas.

The policy I buy also covers pre existing conditions (one of my daughters has a chronic medical condition) and acts as primary health insurance outside the US (our policy doesn't cover us)... All for 7% of the cost for the adults (kids are free). Its well worth it to me.
tankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #67
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankin View Post
I always but trip insurance for any trip I can't afford to walk away from. This policy saved us last Christmas. We were scheduled to sail on the Dream just after Christmas. On the morning we were scheduled to leave, I got up to find that the airline had cancelled our flight. As I'm on the phone trying to figure out how to get to FL from OH (they could get us there on Jan 2nd), I hear a moan from the bathroom and my wife has woken up with a serious case of the stomach flu. After her visit to Urgent Care, we shortly found out that our kids also had the stomach flu. To say the least, driving (our last ditch back up plan) wasn't going to happen.

Our insurance covered us at 100%. Everything I couldn't get covered by the providers was covered. In fact, it allowed us to take a 7 day on the Fantasy over Spring Break instead of the 5 Day at Christmas.

The policy I buy also covers pre existing conditions (one of my daughters has a chronic medical condition) and acts as primary health insurance outside the US (our policy doesn't cover us)... All for 7% of the cost for the adults (kids are free). Its well worth it to me.
Sounds like a great plan. Can you please share the provider and plan name?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
I'll never forget the post where a family wound up missing their spring break cruise due to severe thunderstorms and a canceled flight. No trip insurance. So no cruise and no money back to schedule a make-up cruise.
I very specifically remember that thread, and following their progress. My heart broke for them....it was so sad. In fact, we just talked about this situation when my SIL decided she was going to fly the Red Eye from West Coast to Miami for our next cruise. I can't seem to talk her out of it so I'm convincing her to buy DCL's insurance in case her flight gets cancelled/delayed.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #68
tankin
Mouseketeer

I buy Travelguard's gold policy. The cost varies on the age of the adults and the amount covered. Kids are free
tankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #69
mareed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I buy Travelguard's gold policy. The cost varies on the age of the adults and the amount covered. Kids are free
Same for us! And I can vouch for them paying claims quickly after reasonable documentation is provided because I had a visit to ship's doctor and medication for a sinus infection on my last cruise. They also covered the cost of the camera and accessories (memory cards, bag, etc) that I lost at WDW on our port day there (8 day cruise from Galveston last spring that included WDW). I was surprised that the lost camera ended up being covered, but asked them about it and submitted it because they said it was covered (lost baggage part, I think). Still lost all pics from first half of the cruise, but at least was reimbursed to buy a replacement camera.

You can see details for this policy at http://buy.travelguard.com/tgi2/proc...176&prc=NW6700.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #70
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
This is what we always get also. I'm glad to hear that you were able to take another cruise and that everything was covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareed View Post
Same for us! And I can vouch for them paying claims quickly after reasonable documentation is provided because I had a visit to ship's doctor and medication for a sinus infection on my last cruise. They also covered the cost of the camera and accessories (memory cards, bag, etc) that I lost at WDW on our port day there (8 day cruise from Galveston last spring that included WDW). I was surprised that the lost camera ended up being covered, but asked them about it and submitted it because they said it was covered (lost baggage part, I think). Still lost all pics from first half of the cruise, but at least was reimbursed to buy a replacement camera.

You can see details for this policy at http://buy.travelguard.com/tgi2/proc...176&prc=NW6700.
Good to know they pay quickly should we ever have to file a claim.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #71
Nikrigs
Earning My Ears

I would never travel without it

I found this forum while looking around a cruises. My family just went on our 1st cruise and can't wait to go again! As we are just getting ready to go to Disneyland this weekend, I had to make sure my insurance was up to date. I travel a fair bit for work and fun also.

I have never traveled without insurance. Thankfully I've never needed it but there have been close calls. We get yearly insurance - I booked through Travel Insurance Advisors (.com), they had a good recommendation for us. The way I see it, is that if we can afford a trip, we can afford a bit extra to make sure we're covered in an emergency. I just always include it in the whole cost (actually, paying yearly makes it so much cheaper and we don't really need to think about it, so I love that).

Plus for my business, the industry we're in is ocean sports so there's always a risk of injury (knock on wood it hasn't happened!!). I know what can happen and the costs/risks/dangers involved and the fact is, if we didn't have insurance, we would be in big trouble because we would not be able to afford those high costs. It's just not worth it, especially when insurance is so cheap (and easy to get)! I'm shocked by how many people don't get it and aren't concerned about the risks. I'm a very optimistic person, I don't dwell on "what's the worst that can happen" but I do live in the real world and I know that it can happen. Get insurance!!

Anyway - that's just my 2 cents

Disneyland here we come!
Nikrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #72
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrigs View Post
I found this forum while looking around a cruises. My family just went on our 1st cruise and can't wait to go again! As we are just getting ready to go to Disneyland this weekend, I had to make sure my insurance was up to date. I travel a fair bit for work and fun also.

I have never traveled without insurance. Thankfully I've never needed it but there have been close calls. We get yearly insurance - I booked through Travel Insurance Advisors (.com), they had a good recommendation for us. The way I see it, is that if we can afford a trip, we can afford a bit extra to make sure we're covered in an emergency. I just always include it in the whole cost (actually, paying yearly makes it so much cheaper and we don't really need to think about it, so I love that).

Plus for my business, the industry we're in is ocean sports so there's always a risk of injury (knock on wood it hasn't happened!!). I know what can happen and the costs/risks/dangers involved and the fact is, if we didn't have insurance, we would be in big trouble because we would not be able to afford those high costs. It's just not worth it, especially when insurance is so cheap (and easy to get)! I'm shocked by how many people don't get it and aren't concerned about the risks. I'm a very optimistic person, I don't dwell on "what's the worst that can happen" but I do live in the real world and I know that it can happen. Get insurance!!

Anyway - that's just my 2 cents

Disneyland here we come!
That's interesting, as I've only just recently heard that they even offer annual policies in the US. But the ones I've seen so far have had really low coverage, so that made them a little less attractive. I'll check out that site you listed.

By the way, DISBoards guidelines say that you need to post the entire URL of a website (i.e., www.travelinsuranceadvisors.com) to be sure the website is allowed to be posted hear, and is not filtered out.

ETA: Ah, I see that's actually Allianz's website, not a site where you can compare multiple policies. I still think the coverage is pretty low ($5000 per year trip cancellation per person for example) but it is *SO* better than not having coverage! I'd have to do some calculations to see if it would be worth it for me to get an annual policy.)

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 10-10-2013 at 04:27 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #73
dolly25
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
We still have never purchased any travel insurance for any trip we have ever been at any time. Still in our early 40's, I am not sure when the tipping point is for us to change our minds. However, we are still at the stage where any premium we pay likely subsidizes the older passengers who do buy and are much, much more likely to utilize the insurance.

The situation is not dissimilar to the direction for health care insurance in this country. What motivation do I have to buy travel insurance when I am on the very low end of the spectrum of needing it? A couple decades from now, when I am 60 and taking a cruise, I would much rather pay the premium as the percentages start turning.

DWF
Agreed. We are in our fifties and have never purchased travel insurance. If you consider all the trips you take in your lifetime and purchase the trip insurance..how many times would you actually need it. A very small percentage. Add all the years of trip insurance and you will come out ahead by not purchasing it...even if you lost all your money a couple of times. If it is likely you will have to cancel, then purchase it. You know the insurance companies are making a fortune. You can cancel up to 75 days out, I think for a full refund.
dolly25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #74
bahacca
Mouseketeer

We didn't purchase ins. when we went on the 4 night in April. My in laws paid for it, so it was their call. We didn't need it, so all was well. I am planning on Panama Canal in 2015. I WILL purchase ins. for my family of 4, even though we are in good health. 3 nights in Miami pre-cruise and then 4 at sea is FAR different to me than 2 WEEKS at sea when I'm footing the bill.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #75
txtricia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
We still have never purchased any travel insurance for any trip we have ever been at any time. Still in our early 40's, I am not sure when the tipping point is for us to change our minds. However, we are still at the stage where any premium we pay likely subsidizes the older passengers who do buy and are much, much more likely to utilize the insurance.

The situation is not dissimilar to the direction for health care insurance in this country. What motivation do I have to buy travel insurance when I am on the very low end of the spectrum of needing it? A couple decades from now, when I am 60 and taking a cruise, I would much rather pay the premium as the percentages start turning.

DWF
Just something to think about. We had the same feeling before our parents become elderly and we had children. But life can send you the most unexpected events.

My hubby is 44, very near his idea weight, good cholesterol, never smoked in his life, etc. So we figure what are the odds of something happening. Then last christmas my husband got his yearly flu shot during his employers free flu shot program. A few weeks later he was in ICU with half his face paralyzed, no reflexes, and hooked up to a respiration monitor to ensure his lungs didn't become paralyzed too. He had come down with Gillian Barre Syndrome all from his yearly flu shot because he was trying to stay healthy. He has been sick less than 10 day in the 18 years we have been together prior to this. He ended up out of work and recovering for 8 months. We could never have foreseen it. Travel insurance is like car insurance, or medical insurance, it seems like a waste of lots of money... until you need it than you will never go without it again.

Everyones circumstances are different, and if you get a really good deal on a trip that you are comfortable risking losing than go for it... we still do. But if you are dropping major cash on a trip and you would be upset over losing, the insurance really isn't that great a cost.
txtricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: