Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #46
scrapshappen
Mouseketeer
 
scrapshappen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 395

Some US medical insurance policies will cover you outside the US. Ours does. I double checked yesterday. They even have in network providers in Nassau where we are going on our cruise. And they also cover evacuation expenses to the nearest appropriate hospital. So it might be worth checking into your own policy before you make a decision based on a medical "what if." I know we could have other expenses that aren't covered if the worst happens, but we are financially secure enough to "self insure" the rest.
scrapshappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #47
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twofebboys View Post
Let me ask you this. Do you have enough saved up that you can comfortable rest if some tragic accident happens to you or a loved one on your cruise?

Sure, you say you are healthy, which is very good. But, what if some tragic accident happens. Yes, from working in a major trauma center I have seen perfectly healthy people have freak accidents happen to them. (And the plane from that hospital brought patients in from the Caribbean quite often and we are in North Carolina.) I have seen people that were healthy and fit that have been paralyzed, maimed, had brain injuries and killed from simple things. A horrid accident can bankrupt a family.

We have a very secure savings account. We could cover a meal, a car, or a cancelled trip. But, I seriously doubt we could cover an out-of-pocket hospital bill from another country (US insurance doesn't work out of the country) and a medical flight back from an island (remember, you gotta include fuel, staff, etc in that cost). Now, think of the $500k we have in coverage for medical transport. I feel a bit more secure with that policy.

Our trip insurance for our cruise cost us $112 for a family of four. I didn't blink an eye about paying it. Sure, I may never use it. You simply can not afford NOT to have it. And ours covers pre-existing conditions.

It is cheap. Get it. And if you think it is too expensive to include with a cruise because you put so much money into a cruise...then maybe you should not be going a cruise.
Your argument that one should not go on a cruise if one considers trip insurance expensive is not particularly convincing. Based on that line of argument, one should not buy a television if one does not buy the extended warranty. Or, one should not buy an iPhone if one does not buy Apple's monthly extended warranty plan. Or, one should never see a dentist unless they have dental insurance. Just because I find travel insurance unneeded and overpriced for the relative odds of ever benefiting from it does not mean I would alter my vacation plans. My goodness, what in the world did people do just 10 years ago when only a miniscule percentage of people ever bought travel insurance? As others have mentioned, private insurance plans oftentimes do cover out-of-country situations to a certain degree. We just returned from a two and half week trip through southeast Asia and BC/BS provided us with detailed instructions and contact numbers if we needed medical care and how to submit claims. I believe you are thinking mostly about Medicare which generally does not cover overseas medical expenses. Even in that group, however, you can have a supplemental health insurance plan that is more encompassing and covers out-of-US expenses.

Bottom line, I do not plan on altering my vacation plans just because I find travel insurance an unnecessary expense. I also will continue to buy iPads without Apple's extended warranty. I will visit the dentist even though I did not sign up for dental insurance. But, I will not be buying "cancer insurance", "long term care plans", etc. etc. that are simply excessive pursuits.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #48
elcabezas
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 20

I will always buy insurance if I'm cruising the Caribbean Aug-Oct. Too many hurricanes and storms to risk been stuck at the airport. Get the insurance, don't let some wind and rain ruind your vacation or your pocket.
elcabezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #49
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,598
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
The other thing that people haven't mentioned here is the fact that most US medical insurance does *not* cover you in a foreign country. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapshappen View Post
Some US medical insurance policies will cover you outside the US. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
...As others have mentioned, private insurance plans oftentimes do cover out-of-country situations to a certain degree. ... I believe you are thinking mostly about Medicare which generally does not cover overseas medical expenses. ...DWF
SOME third-party medical insurance plans in the U.S. are good about covering foreign expenses. But far from most or even many. And I do NOT mean primarily Medicare - I'm talking about the family coverage many get through an employer; Medicaid and state plans are even less likely to cover such things though it's not impossible. I assure you that I know this for a fact through my work associated with the vast majority of insurance plans in the U.S.

That said, I agree it's a personal decision whether one wants to accept the risk. That's what any insurance (travel, car, home, renters, life, LTC, etc.) is all about - a game of how high your tolerance is for accepting the potential costs/losses associated with certain risks. The vast majority of travelers never need the medical coverage included in travel insurance. Some are willing to take that risk, others are not. Personal decision and I respect each for making the "right" decision for themselves/their family. It really has nothing to do with age, though, as others have pointed out some of the most expensive medical needs are related to traumas that can happen to anyone of any age/gender/lifestyle or whatever.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #50
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,219
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
As others have mentioned, private insurance plans oftentimes do cover out-of-country situations to a certain degree. We just returned from a two and half week trip through southeast Asia and BC/BS provided us with detailed instructions and contact numbers if we needed medical care and how to submit claims. I believe you are thinking mostly about Medicare which generally does not cover overseas medical expenses. Even in that group, however, you can have a supplemental health insurance plan that is more encompassing and covers out-of-US expenses.
I have regular Medical insurance from my employer through United Health Care, and it does NOT cover me outside of the US.

People really need to know what coverage they do & don't have before making a decision about trip insurance.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #51
Twofebboys
I wish I was going....
 
Twofebboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
Your argument that one should not go on a cruise if one considers trip insurance expensive is not particularly convincing. Based on that line of argument, one should not buy a television if one does not buy the extended warranty. Or, one should not buy an iPhone if one does not buy Apple's monthly extended warranty plan. Or, one should never see a dentist unless they have dental insurance. Just because I find travel insurance unneeded and overpriced for the relative odds of ever benefiting from it does not mean I would alter my vacation plans. My goodness, what in the world did people do just 10 years ago when only a miniscule percentage of people ever bought travel insurance? As others have mentioned, private insurance plans oftentimes do cover out-of-country situations to a certain degree. We just returned from a two and half week trip through southeast Asia and BC/BS provided us with detailed instructions and contact numbers if we needed medical care and how to submit claims. I believe you are thinking mostly about Medicare which generally does not cover overseas medical expenses. Even in that group, however, you can have a supplemental health insurance plan that is more encompassing and covers out-of-US expenses.

Bottom line, I do not plan on altering my vacation plans just because I find travel insurance an unnecessary expense. I also will continue to buy iPads without Apple's extended warranty. I will visit the dentist even though I did not sign up for dental insurance. But, I will not be buying "cancer insurance", "long term care plans", etc. etc. that are simply excessive pursuits.

DWF
Actually, you can not compare an object that comes with an extended warranty at all to a human being that you can't go and buy.

And just for the record, I do not buy extended warranties at all. Why? 95% of what you pay goes to profit only. Why? Because the warranty only covers a certain number of years usually when the item is working properly.

However, trip insurance covers a specific trip. And I was not speaking of Medicare. Maybe your insurance does cover out of country hospitals, but it simply is not worth chancing for me.

I stand by my statement that if you are griping about a few hundred dollars in travel insurance because you don't have it to pay, you should reconsider going on the trip.

I do agree with you on Cancer Insurance. You should already have medical insurance to pay for that. Though, I disagree with you on Long Term Care Insurance. You should probably look into getting that around 65 years or so. Unless, of course you would like to completely deplete any savings that you might like to pass on to other generations. Assisted living, nursing care, etc is paid through with Long Term Care Insurance. Assisted living could run you around $6000 a month and a step up with nursing care is much more expensive. As far as dental insurance, what we pay like $3 a pay period or $86 a year for a family of four...it far outweighs just paying in cash.

Though, I will say you don't have to agree with me. This is my opinion. You know the saying...to each his own said the farmer as he kissed the pig.
__________________
Wife, Mom, Runner & Independent Contractor!

OUR FAMILY: ME, DH, DS9 & DS 7
~ MONARCH OF THE SEAS - 2001 - Honeymoon!
~ ALL-STAR MOVIES RESORT - 2007 - DS9 & Grandparents!
~ ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT - 2009 - DS9, DS7 & Grandparents!
~ CORNADO SPRINGS - 2013 - All four of us!
~ DISNEY MAGIC - APRIL 2014!


Twofebboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #52
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,443

I book through Costco and with their insurance policy I don't have to buy the policy until final payment date. It still covers pre existing conditions and your fee is based on the cost of the cruise. They insure prepaid hotels, airfare, excursions etc for free.

I really don't purchase it in case I got sick or hurt but because of elderly parents. If one died DURING the cruise it would be very challenging to get home immediately.

Of course the protection for medical evacuation to an acceptable hospital if I DID get sick is good.

I have used it a couple of times. Once was a cruise missed due a hurricane. Another was a stolen camera. A visit to the ship doctor for an allergic reaction. Of course the latter 2 were not large claims but what they paid out was more than what I paid.

And of course other times I had no claim. And that's okay too
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #53
Jennifer in MI
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Posts: 933

We will always buy trip insurance. I've posted here before about our experience. Ds had to have his appendix removed in Mexico on our last Disney cruise. Our $12,000 cruise/vacation was insured for $180. Yes, our insurance would have paid for his surgery. We would still have had to pay for co-pays and deductibles.

But, the insurance company took care of everything else. They got us visas to come back to the US. They got us flights. They took care of us in a hotel (a REALLY nice one!!!) and transportation to and from the resort and the hospital and the airport.

If we hadn't had insurance, we'd have been responsible for arranging ALL of these things on our own. It was an horrific situation. Not to have to deal with the details was SO nice!!!

They even arranged for my ds to have a wheelchair for ds at all the airports we had to fly through on the way home. Seriously. All the details were covered.
__________________
Jennifer, Disney-lovin' homeschooling mama to
DS (18), DS (16), DS (13), and finally!! a princess DD (8)


Jennifer in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #54
cinderellanprince
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: california
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in MI View Post
We will always buy trip insurance. I've posted here before about our experience. Ds had to have his appendix removed in Mexico on our last Disney cruise. Our $12,000 cruise/vacation was insured for $180. Yes, our insurance would have paid for his surgery. We would still have had to pay for co-pays and deductibles.

But, the insurance company took care of everything else. They got us visas to come back to the US. They got us flights. They took care of us in a hotel (a REALLY nice one!!!) and transportation to and from the resort and the hospital and the airport.

If we hadn't had insurance, we'd have been responsible for arranging ALL of these things on our own. It was an horrific situation. Not to have to deal with the details was SO nice!!!

They even arranged for my ds to have a wheelchair for ds at all the airports we had to fly through on the way home. Seriously. All the details were covered.
Can I ask what plan you had an who was the carrier?
cinderellanprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #55
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twofebboys View Post
Actually, you can not compare an object that comes with an extended warranty at all to a human being that you can't go and buy.

And just for the record, I do not buy extended warranties at all. Why? 95% of what you pay goes to profit only. Why? Because the warranty only covers a certain number of years usually when the item is working properly.

However, trip insurance covers a specific trip. And I was not speaking of Medicare. Maybe your insurance does cover out of country hospitals, but it simply is not worth chancing for me.

I stand by my statement that if you are griping about a few hundred dollars in travel insurance because you don't have it to pay, you should reconsider going on the trip.

I do agree with you on Cancer Insurance. You should already have medical insurance to pay for that. Though, I disagree with you on Long Term Care Insurance. You should probably look into getting that around 65 years or so. Unless, of course you would like to completely deplete any savings that you might like to pass on to other generations. Assisted living, nursing care, etc is paid through with Long Term Care Insurance. Assisted living could run you around $6000 a month and a step up with nursing care is much more expensive. As far as dental insurance, what we pay like $3 a pay period or $86 a year for a family of four...it far outweighs just paying in cash.

Though, I will say you don't have to agree with me. This is my opinion. You know the saying...to each his own said the farmer as he kissed the pig.
I am just baffled by the economics of your opinion. Do you actually think insurance policies pay out more than they take in? Long term care insurance is not a smart move as the premiums charged have to exceed the expenditures over time. That is how insurance works. That is why insurance companies can be very, very profitable. That is why reinsurance is also profitable for another subset of companies. All insurance is basically a gamble that you will not utilize the coverage more than you pay into it. However, insurance companies are very good about understanding the numbers involved. If they are charging you a certain amount for a policy, it is only because they know they will be quite unlikely of paying out anything in excess of that over time and a larger set of holders. Your $3 dental plan is not really $3 a pay period. You cannot possibly believe that is true. Your employer has simply set up a system where they pay the majority of the premium involved in lieu of paying you a higher salary. In reality, the employee would be better off taking the premium support offered by the company and putting it in their pocket. Of course, it is the mentality that you are getting something for little that drives those actions in contract negotiations.

Please do not worry about my finances. We will be just fine in affording a Disney cruise if we so desire. Insurance, in general, is throwing money down a hole. We basically self insure for everything except the most catastrophic issues. I would much prefer a health insurance plan with a $5000 or $10,000 deductible instead of our current plan which covers basically everything. Nevertheless, if I could lower my total true premium cost (approx $18,000 a year for our family of four) for health insurance, I would. Sadly, I am only one of seven partners in my group and am in the minority on this issue!

DWF

Last edited by disneywonderfun; 08-13-2013 at 08:02 PM.
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #56
Jennifer in MI
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Posts: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapshappen View Post
Some US medical insurance policies will cover you outside the US. Ours does. I double checked yesterday. They even have in network providers in Nassau where we are going on our cruise. And they also cover evacuation expenses to the nearest appropriate hospital. So it might be worth checking into your own policy before you make a decision based on a medical "what if." I know we could have other expenses that aren't covered if the worst happens, but we are financially secure enough to "self insure" the rest.
Be careful! Because we had outside trip insurance, we were taken to the best hospital around when ds needed his surgery. There was not time to airlift him to an American hospital. He needed it immediately.

And, we also had the savings to cover this type of emergency. But, it would have been more than we imagined. Last-minute flights home? Visas? If we didn't have insurance, we wouldn't have been reimbursed for the portion of our trip that we missed. The list goes on and on. In the end, our trip insurance paid $48,000. I think $25,000 of it was medical. (It was a while ago, I'm not sure of the exact number.) That's a lot of extra to cover!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderellanprince View Post
Can I ask what plan you had an who was the carrier?
Honestly? I don't remember. We went through *****************. I asked a TON of questions through them about pre-existing conditions and all (we have a ds with one. But it was a different child who ended up hospitalized!). We went with the cheapest coverage that covered what we wanted.

BTW - The reps on the cruise were surprised that we had a policy that covered our entire famiy to get off the ship. So, you might want to ask about that. There was no way I was going to leave my ds with my dh in Mexico while he had surgery!!! So, thank GOD we picked the right policy!
__________________
Jennifer, Disney-lovin' homeschooling mama to
DS (18), DS (16), DS (13), and finally!! a princess DD (8)


Jennifer in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #57
Twofebboys
I wish I was going....
 
Twofebboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post

I am just baffled by the economics of your opinion. Do you actually think insurance policies pay out more than they take in? Long term care insurance is not a smart move as the premiums charged have to exceed the expenditures over time. That is how insurance works. That is why insurance companies can be very, very profitable. That is why reinsurance is also profitable for another subset of companies. All insurance is basically a gamble that you will not utilize the coverage more than you pay into it. However, insurance companies are very good about understanding the numbers involved. If they are charging you a certain amount for a policy, it is only because they know they will be quite unlikely of paying out anything in excess of that over time and a larger set of holders. Your $3 dental plan is not really $3 a pay period. You cannot possibly believe that is true. Your employer has simply set up a system where they pay the majority of the premium involved in lieu of paying you a higher salary. In reality, the employee would be better off taking the premium support offered by the company and putting it in their pocket. Of course, it is the mentality that you are getting something for little that drives those actions in contract negotiations.

Please do not worry about my finances. We will be just fine in affording a Disney cruise if we so desire. Insurance, in general, is throwing money down a hole. We basically self insure for everything except the most catastrophic issues. I would much prefer a health insurance plan with a $5000 or $10,000 deductible instead of our current plan which covers basically everything. Nevertheless, if I could lower my total true premium cost (approx $18,000 a year for our family of four) for health insurance, I would. Sadly, I am only one of seven partners in my group and am in the minority on this issue!

DWF
I am not baffled by my economics. I know that we are secure. I am a bit baffled that you took my opinion as a personal attack.

It is great that you do not need insurance. No skin off my back! We MUST HAVE health insurance. DH has an hereditary autoimmune disease that requires infusions every 4 to 6 weeks to be able to be to work, live and function. We are financially secure because we have things like health insurance. We could NOT afford $6000 out of pocket every four to six weeks. I guarantee you we are getting our money out of that policy. Yes, we also have extra life insurance because he will probably not grow old with me because the drugs that enable him to walk are also damaging his organs. It is truly a cruel disease. Live a great productive life now, but die early. But, he knows he will leave us secure...the kids will go to college, we will have a roof over our heads and we will not stress over how the bills will get paid. I will be able to be there for my children. But, he will not be with us.

So, before you bash what we do...understand that we have our family's best interest at heart. My security "gland" is much more sensitive than most. You don't walk in shoes wondering if one day a drug is going to stop working or if the person you love has developed leukemia because his immune system is depressed. We went through this scare once when the boys were 2 & 8 months.

Now, I say all of this with as an explanation. DH lives a very active life. He powers through pain. He mountain bikes, hikes, plays "NFL" w/ DS9 and paints with DS7. No pity here. We have a good life.

But, I deem the insurance a necessity If you don't want it that is fine. I agree with buying travel insurance. I still say if someone says it is too expensive then you can't afford to go on the trip.

It is my opinion not an attack on you!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Wife, Mom, Runner & Independent Contractor!

OUR FAMILY: ME, DH, DS9 & DS 7
~ MONARCH OF THE SEAS - 2001 - Honeymoon!
~ ALL-STAR MOVIES RESORT - 2007 - DS9 & Grandparents!
~ ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT - 2009 - DS9, DS7 & Grandparents!
~ CORNADO SPRINGS - 2013 - All four of us!
~ DISNEY MAGIC - APRIL 2014!


Twofebboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #58
Twofebboys
I wish I was going....
 
Twofebboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in MI View Post

Be careful! Because we had outside trip insurance, we were taken to the best hospital around when ds needed his surgery. There was not time to airlift him to an American hospital. He needed it immediately.

And, we also had the savings to cover this type of emergency. But, it would have been more than we imagined. Last-minute flights home? Visas? If we didn't have insurance, we wouldn't have been reimbursed for the portion of our trip that we missed. The list goes on and on. In the end, our trip insurance paid $48,000. I think $25,000 of it was medical. (It was a while ago, I'm not sure of the exact number.) That's a lot of extra to cover!!!

Honestly? I don't remember. We went through *****************. I asked a TON of questions through them about pre-existing conditions and all (we have a ds with one. But it was a different child who ended up hospitalized!). We went with the cheapest coverage that covered what we wanted.

BTW - The reps on the cruise were surprised that we had a policy that covered our entire famiy to get off the ship. So, you might want to ask about that. There was no way I was going to leave my ds with my dh in Mexico while he had surgery!!! So, thank GOD we picked the right policy!
I am so glad everything worked out. And thank you for sharing. I know the little details made it easier for you. And I will go back and check on our policy!

One thing I always do, is carry the number for the air transportation at the level one trauma center here in town when we go out of the country. They have planes and helicopters. And even if they might not be the one to come get us...they can work to dispatch another flight team that is closer...from say, Miami...they can make it happen. I worked in the hospital for years and they suggested I do it. They say they will move quicker sometimes that way.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Wife, Mom, Runner & Independent Contractor!

OUR FAMILY: ME, DH, DS9 & DS 7
~ MONARCH OF THE SEAS - 2001 - Honeymoon!
~ ALL-STAR MOVIES RESORT - 2007 - DS9 & Grandparents!
~ ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT - 2009 - DS9, DS7 & Grandparents!
~ CORNADO SPRINGS - 2013 - All four of us!
~ DISNEY MAGIC - APRIL 2014!


Twofebboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #59
allbluezoo
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 85

And after reading this post I went and got insurance for all 4 of us! $124 to cover 2 adults and 2 kids

BENEFITS
Trip Cancellation-up to trip cost
Trip Interruption-150% trip cost
Missed Connection-$500(3hours) not sure what that means
Trip Delay-$750($200/day)
Emergency Accident & Sickness-$50,000($50 deductible)
Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation-$500,000
Pet Care-$300($50/day)
Baggage & Personal Effects-$1,000
Baggage Delay-$300(12hours)
Accidental Death and Dismemberment-$10,000

I think I feel good with that. Anything I missed or should have clarified?
allbluezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #60
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,255

For those who are able to "eat" the cost of the cruise but don't want to get stuck with scary airlifting bills, you can buy travel insurance and just put in Trip Cost $0 to bring your premium down, with full benefits for various things such as Medical, Travel Delay, Baggage loss, etc.

Of course this depends on the insurance carrier, but we use Travel Insured through USAA (which provides a discount).

The last time I submitted a claim was through Travelex and I had to show proof that my regular insurance denied the claim (which it did) before getting paid, but it was relatively "easy."

We would have submitted another claim through Travel Insured for the last trip we were on (daughter ended up in hospital in UK), but the UK covered it for us.

Point being, it's easy enough to do the legwork and figure what fits your needs. But having young kids, we've already "needed" to use the insurance twice. The 1st time we didn't buy insurance, we were on our 1st cruise and needed it. We learned the hard way.

Thanks to the OP for this post. I was hemming and hawing about buying it for the next trip, but if I buy it this week I'd be covered for pre-existing since we're still within 21 days of initial deposit.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.