Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #31
StephC1217
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
I do not believe your statement is very accurate. Catastrophic accidents and illnesses certainly occur in all age groups. However, travel insurance is an odds game. You are much, much less likely to use it under the age of 50 than over. So, premiums are based on one group of low likelihood users subsidizing higher risk individuals.

I simply figure my odds of being in a car accident on the drive to the port (covered by my bc/bs insurance) is much, much more likely than ever needing travel insurance at this stage of our lives.

DWF

P.S. the Disney insurance cost for our May cruise for our family of four was listed at around 2K. Just not worth it for us.

You should look into an insurance outside of Disney. We did not book insurance through Disney. I listed our vacation as approx. $8,000 as we went to Universal Studios, in addition to our 7 night cruise. For the 3 of us for that cost, insurance was a little over $200. A small price to pay considering we were covered if: our baggage got lost, our flights were delayed and we missed our flight, inclement weather (coming from Boston you never know), if a death in our family occurred and we were not able to travel or needed to come back early, for health reasons we need to be flown home from the Caribbean and needed to receive medical treatment (a small price to pay to not have to rely on Mexico to provide my medical treatment!), as well as many other incidents none of which have to do with age. DH and I are both 32- but age has nothing to do with missed flights due to weather or other unforeseen reasons, or the death of another family member.... I feel that next to the price we pay for our trip- another $200 is well worth making sure we don't lost out on $8,000!!!

StephC1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #32
tnshsms
Mouseketeer

We are travel insurance believers. Here is why:

May 2011 cruise. Our flight home after the cruise cancelled due to mechanical issues. Rescheduled for the following day.
Unexpected hotel and dinner expense 1
Rescheduled flight-cancelled due to weather back home. (Joplin tornado of may 2011)
Unexpected hotel and food expense 2
Rescheduled flight delayed due to weather, missed connecting flight in Chicago.
Unexpected hotel and food expense 3.
Next day, you guessed it, rescheduled flight cancelled due to weather.
We are now fed up and can be home in an 9 hour drive home. We rent a car and drive home.
Unexpected one way car rental and food expense 4.
Travel guard paid us the $1231 we spent during our delays.
Our policy for 3 people: $84

Well worth it.
Disneyland - May 2013
Disney Fantasy - May 2014
Disney Magic - May 2015
tnshsms is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #33
tinytink
DIS Veteran

Thanks for creating this thread, on our first Disney cruise in 2004 we got booted off early because of Hurricane Jeanne. We had trip insurance but we were so naive we didn't file a claim for our car rental or any cost incurring because of our shortened cruise experience. So this also helps for those who have the insurance but don't know how it works.
2006 Castaway Cay Double Dip
2004 DCL Eastern Caribbean's First Trip to Antigua
tinytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #34
tnshsms
Mouseketeer

We weren't sure they would cover the car but we tried and they covered both the car and the gas.
Disneyland - May 2013
Disney Fantasy - May 2014
Disney Magic - May 2015
tnshsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #35
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

The other thing that people haven't mentioned here is the fact that most US medical insurance does *not* cover you in a foreign country. If something happens to you in a foreign port, and you need to be hospitalized (real example, woman falls off her Segway on our excursion and severely breaks her ankle). Your things (and probably your traveling companion(s) and their things) will be removed from the ship so that you can have that surgery on your ankle. The ship sails on without you.

There's surgical expenses, the hospital's bills, prescriptions, hotel room for your family while you recuperate, and then last-minute transport for all of you back to the United States. I don't know how many of you have been to the hospital lately, but it can be really, REALLY expensive. And, again, most medical insurance from the United States won't cover you in a foreign country. And buying airfare at the last minute can be, too. That's also the kind of thing I buy trip insurance for.

(Oh, and you can also get reimbursed for the part of the cruise you missed, because you also have Trip Interruption coverage).

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
Twofebboys
I wish I was going....

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
We still have never purchased any travel insurance for any trip we have ever been at any time. Still in our early 40's, I am not sure when the tipping point is for us to change our minds. However, we are still at the stage where any premium we pay likely subsidizes the older passengers who do buy and are much, much more likely to utilize the insurance.

The situation is not dissimilar to the direction for health care insurance in this country. What motivation do I have to buy travel insurance when I am on the very low end of the spectrum of needing it? A couple decades from now, when I am 60 and taking a cruise, I would much rather pay the premium as the percentages start turning.

DWF
Let me ask you this. Do you have enough saved up that you can comfortable rest if some tragic accident happens to you or a loved one on your cruise?

Sure, you say you are healthy, which is very good. But, what if some tragic accident happens. Yes, from working in a major trauma center I have seen perfectly healthy people have freak accidents happen to them. (And the plane from that hospital brought patients in from the Caribbean quite often and we are in North Carolina.) I have seen people that were healthy and fit that have been paralyzed, maimed, had brain injuries and killed from simple things. A horrid accident can bankrupt a family.

We have a very secure savings account. We could cover a meal, a car, or a cancelled trip. But, I seriously doubt we could cover an out-of-pocket hospital bill from another country (US insurance doesn't work out of the country) and a medical flight back from an island (remember, you gotta include fuel, staff, etc in that cost). Now, think of the $500k we have in coverage for medical transport. I feel a bit more secure with that policy.

Our trip insurance for our cruise cost us $112 for a family of four. I didn't blink an eye about paying it. Sure, I may never use it. You simply can not afford NOT to have it. And ours covers pre-existing conditions.

It is cheap. Get it. And if you think it is too expensive to include with a cruise because you put so much money into a cruise...then maybe you should not be going a cruise.

OUR FAMILY: ME, DH, DS9 & DS 7
~ MONARCH OF THE SEAS - 2001 - Honeymoon!
~ ALL-STAR MOVIES RESORT - 2007 - DS9 & Grandparents!
~ ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT - 2009 - DS9, DS7 & Grandparents!
~ CORNADO SPRINGS - 2013 - All four of us!
~ DISNEY MAGIC - APRIL 2014!

Twofebboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #37
becks467
Earning My Ears

We started to purchase travel insurance after seeing someone airlifted off of a ship on one of our trips. That had to be very expensive! Also my BIL slipped on the way up a mossy slope and got pretty scraped up and needed medical attention. The insurance covered the portion that his personal insurance didn't cover. We always get insurance for cruise travel.
becks467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #38
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Thanks to all that responded to my question specifically.

I obviously misunderstood or was misinformed about DCL's policy. I knew that anyone could move a trip before PIF. But now I know that after PIF I should have trip insurance if I want anything back. Right?

This is a personal decision. Live and let live.

I am going to look into the Costco trip insurance. Anyone have experience with this? Is it as good as third party insurance others are speaking of?

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #39
Twofebboys
I wish I was going....

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Thanks to all that responded to my question specifically.

I obviously misunderstood or was misinformed about DCL's policy. I knew that anyone could move a trip before PIF. But now I know that after PIF I should have trip insurance if I want anything back. Right?

This is a personal decision. Live and let live.

I am going to look into the Costco trip insurance. Anyone have experience with this? Is it as good as third party insurance others are speaking of?
We booked our trip through Costco, but found the insurance was more than if we went through Allianz. $112 for a family of 4 on a 4 night in April 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

OUR FAMILY: ME, DH, DS9 & DS 7
~ MONARCH OF THE SEAS - 2001 - Honeymoon!
~ ALL-STAR MOVIES RESORT - 2007 - DS9 & Grandparents!
~ ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT - 2009 - DS9, DS7 & Grandparents!
~ CORNADO SPRINGS - 2013 - All four of us!
~ DISNEY MAGIC - APRIL 2014!

Twofebboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #40
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twofebboys View Post
We booked our trip through Costco, but found the insurance was more than if we went through Allianz. $112 for a family of 4 on a 4 night in April 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Okay, got it! Allianz, insuremytrip, and squaremouth...any others? Thanks for the quick response!

Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #41
quirty30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
On some policies kids are free.
Allianz Classic Plan is a great option. As a single mom with 2 kids, this was the most reasonable plan for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twofebboys View Post
Let me ask you this. Do you have enough saved up that you can comfortable rest if some tragic accident happens to you or a loved one on your cruise?

Sure, you say you are healthy, which is very good. But, what if some tragic accident happens. Yes, from working in a major trauma center I have seen perfectly healthy people have freak accidents happen to them. (And the plane from that hospital brought patients in from the Caribbean quite often and we are in North Carolina.) I have seen people that were healthy and fit that have been paralyzed, maimed, had brain injuries and killed from simple things. A horrid accident can bankrupt a family.

We have a very secure savings account. We could cover a meal, a car, or a cancelled trip. But, I seriously doubt we could cover an out-of-pocket hospital bill from another country (US insurance doesn't work out of the country) and a medical flight back from an island (remember, you gotta include fuel, staff, etc in that cost). Now, think of the $500k we have in coverage for medical transport. I feel a bit more secure with that policy.

Our trip insurance for our cruise cost us $112 for a family of four. I didn't blink an eye about paying it. Sure, I may never use it. You simply can not afford NOT to have it. And ours covers pre-existing conditions.
Totally agree with this. There are reasonable enough options out there that won't break the bank, but will still give you peace of mind. I would never think of traveling outside the US without trip insurance.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #42
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

OMG just checked out Allianz. You were right about kids being free and wow, what a bonus!

The Classic Plan (which is better than Basic) is actually cheaper, because our boys will be free. Only $244 for our family of four on WBPC, with a value of $9430.

Will continue to research. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #43
Tinked
DIS Veteran

Kids were free on Travel Guard too. Great people to work with.
Cruises: Wonder '05, 2/07/09 Western Caribbean on Magic, Wonder Bounce Back 9/24/09, Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/30/10, EBTA Bound for Barcelona 4/10/2010, 9/12/2010 Member Cruise, Aug. 23, 2011 Alaska, 6/10/12 Cruise to Canada, 6/15/12 Cruise to Nowhere
Future Cruises: 9/02/12 Cruise to Canada, 5/06/2013 WBPC, 8/25/13 Gayle's b-day cruise Dream
Tinked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #44
tajz90
Mama D

Love Travelguard. They pay quick too. .
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #45
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Another vote for Travel guard.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread