Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
Yeah...because catastrophic stuff only happens to people well over 40...
I do not believe your statement is very accurate. Catastrophic accidents and illnesses certainly occur in all age groups. However, travel insurance is an odds game. You are much, much less likely to use it under the age of 50 than over. So, premiums are based on one group of low likelihood users subsidizing higher risk individuals.

I simply figure my odds of being in a car accident on the drive to the port (covered by my bc/bs insurance) is much, much more likely than ever needing travel insurance at this stage of our lives.

DWF

P.S. the Disney insurance cost for our May cruise for our family of four was listed at around 2K. Just not worth it for us.
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post

I do not believe your statement is very accurate. Catastrophic accidents and illnesses certainly occur in all age groups. However, travel insurance is an odds game. You are much, much less likely to use it under the age of 50 than over. So, premiums are based on one group of low likelihood users subsidizing higher risk individuals.

I simply figure my odds of being in a car accident on the drive to the port (covered by my bc/bs insurance) is much, much more likely than ever needing travel insurance at this stage of our lives.

DWF

P.S. the Disney insurance cost for our May cruise for our family of four was listed at around 2K. Just not worth it for us.
I was being tongue in cheek because your initial assertion was that you didn't get it because you're just around 40.

I am 42 and purchased it not so much because of the possibility of catastrophic illness or injury (though since I run half and full marathons the injury possibility exists more than if I didn't) but also because I live in a region where winter weather could conceivably come into play. My parents got it for our cruise this summer because they knew we were sailing in hurricane season. Illness and injury are not the only reasons for getting trip insurance.
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

IMHO, age has nothing to do with buying trip insurance. It is not just for medical. It covers travel expenditures as well that may come up like flight delays and having to get a hotel room for the night or losing your luggage, etc.

We have to buy insurance coverage that covers preexisting conditions because my DD has a chronic illness that could possibly land her in an ER at any given time. She is 13!
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
I am curious about this, too. We have never bought insurance, and when I was talking to the Disney and Costco reps, I was told that anybody could get a credit to use in the future if they had to cancel. That is definitely enough for me, but am I missing something? Did they misinform me?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
This is true before PIF, and DCL has allowed a few people to switch cruises inside the PIF date, but that is taking a big chance because the purchased ticket doesn't require them to.

Insurance also covers other things like medical, lost luggage, illness that confines you to your cabin while you are on the cruise. You can't reschedule once you are on board and something happens.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

We are also from the UK and have an annual travel policy that costs just over £;200 for worldwide cover for the 3 of us. It doesn't automatically cover cruising so we got that written in, there was no extra premium. This covers all trips away from home we make in a year and obviously is essential to cover possible medical expenses when outside the EU. A few years ago when In the US I had to make 2 trips to A&E for a minor but urgent procedure. We paid at the time and the insurance refunded us no questions asked when we got home and claimed. Well worth it for our peace of mind.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
BrettW
Brett

Another reason to take out cruise insurance is for the coverage if you need to be evacuated from the ship. This can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
EmilyJ517
Mouseketeer

I just purchased insurance for our cruise in january. It's our first cruise and I have never bought insurance for any other trip. But my son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I had to call and make sure I got a policy that would cover that in case of medical evacuation or the like. It was only $107 even without waiving the pre existing condition stipulations. I feel much better now

Our next trip: A LAND and SEA Adventure!

EmilyJ517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I never buy the insurance. Although I will agree that the medi-vac insurance is something I might look into to. Insuring a $3,800 cruise though? Why? I have $5,000 dollar deductible on my auto, home, and $3,000 on my health insurance before they will pay me a dime. It is far cheaper to insure my car and I don't do that so why bother with the cruise insurance.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
mousefan5
Mouseketeer

I usually only purchase insurance if it is a majorly expensive trip such as a cruise. I am traveling with my husband and 3 minor children on a 4 night cruise and trip to universal including airfare. The cost of a any reason cancellation policy was under $300. I would be refunded 85% of costs.
mousefan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
I never buy the insurance. Although I will agree that the medi-vac insurance is something I might look into to. Insuring a $3,800 cruise though? Why? I have $5,000 dollar deductible on my auto, home, and $3,000 on my health insurance before they will pay me a dime. It is far cheaper to insure my car and I don't do that so why bother with the cruise insurance.
Check the policies on like *****************. I got coverage for my family of 4 on a $5300 cruise for under $200. DH & I will be cruising sans kids next month for $2200. The policy cost $150.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #26
Jammy93
Earning My Ears

We purchased our trip insurance through squaremouth.com
Jammy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Definitely check prices away from the cruise line!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
Check the policies on like *****************. I got coverage for my family of 4 on a $5300 cruise for under $200. DH & I will be cruising sans kids next month for $2200. The policy cost $150.
On some policies kids are free.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
Mine was a standard policy. I did not need "cancel for any reason" in my situation.
Thank you! I will have to look at the details more closely next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
I am curious about this, too. We have never bought insurance, and when I was talking to the Disney and Costco reps, I was told that anybody could get a credit to use in the future if they had to cancel. That is definitely enough for me, but am I missing something? Did they misinform me?
Prior to the PIF date for DCL, anybody can change the date of their cruise and push all monies paid to the new date, so no loss of funds. After the PIF date, if you have DCL trip insurance and the insurance denies your claim, DCL will give you a credit for the lost funds to put towards a future cruise. However, DCL trip insurance ONLY covers the cruise, it does not cover pre- or post-cruise plans -- air travel, rentals, hotels, meals, etc. If you aren't concerned about losing the airfare paid (or you drive) then it can be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
WOW! I can only imagine what your cruise fare was if the travel insurance cost $2K. Our whole cruise fare didn't cost that much (3 passengers, 4 nights), and insurance was about $120. But I would have been looking at 3rd party coverage if the insurance cost as much as you say.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #30
mareed
DIS Veteran

For all of the reasons listed, I also insist on trip insurance when I'm cruising and have also recommended it for any extended family members coming with me. I also wouldn't cruise without passports, so I think that clearly indicates my risk tolerance level (fairly low).

I think the potential of losing the amount of the cruise is probably the least important factor for me because I could "self-insure" that loss easily. It's all of the unknowns that could occur during the trip or that could delay it if flying that could rack up very large costs quickly that push me to getting the trip insurance (not through Disney - I use TravelGuard, which is likely very similar to that the OP noted). I wouldn't want to handle an evacuation bill or out of country hospital bill on my own.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: