Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
bjc
Earning My Ears

aft verandah cabins

Can anyone let me know what their experiences have been with the furthest aft verandah cabins? Can you sit out & still see over the balcony railing or does the partial wall block your view of the ship's wake? Are they a long walk from the nearest elevator? We did the detective game on the Dream & some of those corridors seemed endless from mid-ship. I know the motion of the ship may be more noticeable but would it be uncomfortable in good weather conditions? TIA
bjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

We were looking at these cabins, too, but decided to go back to midship. But I am very interested to hear how these cabins are.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

In a word: HEAVEN.

Honestly, they are our ONLY choice on the new ships. And I have our TA put a firmly "DO NOT CHANGE ROOM/UPGRADE" on our resos.

Go to the Disney Cruise Line Blog and search "9674" and you'll find our review with pics. The 'whitewall' is a non-issue.

Honestly the 5E cabins are going to be missed on our upcoming cruises on the Magic.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 08-09-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Goofy559
Cruise Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
In a word: HEAVEN.

Honestly, they are our ONLY choice on the new ships. And I have our TA put a firmly "DO NOT CHANGE ROOM/UPGRADE" on our reso.

Go to the Disney Cruise Line Blog and search "9674" and you'll find our review with pics. The 'whitewall' is a non-issue.

Honestly the 5E cabins are going to be missed on our upcoming cruises on the Magic.

LOL...that's our favourite cabin too!

Disney Cast Member 1985 (Canadian Pavillion at Epcot) and 20+ Disney World visits
MV Britnannis 1982 no stabilizers!, MV Bolero -- Transatlantic -- 1991 and A bunch of others with my dad , Carnival 3-night Bahamas 2004, Disney Magic W Carib 2005, 2007, 2009, Med 2010, Sun Princess S Carib 2006, Adventure of the Seas S Carib 2008, Coral Princess Alaska 2008, Wonder 3-day bounceback 2009, Diamond Princess 16 night SE Asia Mar 2010, Disney Dream MV - Jan 2011, Allure of the Seas - Mar 2011, Disney Dream June 2011, Disney Fantasy MV - Mar 2012, Magic to Canada -Aug 2012, Wonder - California Oct 2012, Fantasy to San Juan - Mar 2013, Royal Princess MV - 21 days in Europe

[
Goofy559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy559 View Post

LOL...that's our favourite cabin too!
Well, we actually have a different Cat 5E favorite cabin but I won't do a trip report on it - don't want the secret to get out to even more people!!!!

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

We have 8188 booked for our upcoming cruise. Check out the stateroom reports on the dreams unlimited website. There are a lot of really good reviews for the 5E cabins. That's how we picked ours.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

We were in 8178 on the Fantasy last Oct, we liked it so much, we're booked it again for NOV. 2014!

We were also aft verandah on the Wonder and that was great as well.

May 2014 (BLT), Dec 2013 (BLT/AKL), Sept/Oct '12 (AKV/DCL), Jan '11 (AKL),Sept/Oct '10 (AKL/BLT/DCL/BWV), Sept '09 (BLT), April/May '09 (BW/AKL), Sept/Oct 08 (POP/AKL), Nov 03 (ASMovies/AKL), Nov 01 (CBR), Nov 97 (Disney Village Resort), '87 (off property), '77 (CR)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

We have just got off the Disney Magic 12 day Venice Cruise and we had an aft Verandah Stateroom (6644) with whitewall. I must admit when sitting you cannot see much but for my next cruise i have booked an aft cabin again as it was so quiet and the aft elevators are never busy.
Yes it seems to be a long way back but as long as you don't walk along Deck 6 which only has Staterooms on it you should be ok.
We always walked to the aft elevators or stairs along Deck 3 or 4 as there were portholes to look out and it does not seem so far to walk
Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I"m sailing in 7192 on August 18, so I'll be sure to let you know after that!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
egesicki
Mouseketeer

We have been aft, port side on both Dream and Wonder and didn't find them too far away and we didn't have any trouble with seasickness either. Enjoy!

Dream 4nt Bahamas February 2011 9138, Wonder 4nt Bahamas March 2013 8084, WDW Mar 2015?

egesicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

We had 9674 on the Fantasy at the end of May. Glad I did it, wouldn't do it again. The first night/day as we booked-it down to Grand Cayman the vibration while cruising (not docking) was bad. Really bad. Granted, I came down sick as a dog the first night so I was likely extremely grumpy anyway. That first night I was so worried my older brother who was in the connecting room would be ready to strangle me for booking these rooms for us. All the vibrating was annoying but the noises from stuff shifting around, hangers clanking in the closet, etc. was terrible. Drove me insane. I got very little sleep between the worrying, the racket, and feeling like death was upon me. Over the rest of the cruise the vibration was never as bad as that first night and first full day. Maybe we got used to it. I don't know. I did notice that because we were center of the ship I didn't feel much of the usual rocking or rolling that I love so much. That was another down side for me. The location was great. I liked the location. Very convenient to the aft elevators. Overall, I'm glad I did it because now I know.....I know that I don't want to be in a center aft verandah room again. I'll leave 'em for y'all who love 'em.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 Disneyland sans kids
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

We will be in stateroom # 9166 on the Fantasy next summer. Does anyone have any info or a review of this room???
Old 08-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
We had 9674 on the Fantasy at the end of May. Glad I did it, wouldn't do it again. The first night/day as we booked-it down to Grand Cayman the vibration while cruising (not docking) was bad. Really bad. Granted, I came down sick as a dog the first night so I was likely extremely grumpy anyway. That first night I was so worried my older brother who was in the connecting room would be ready to strangle me for booking these rooms for us. All the vibrating was annoying but the noises from stuff shifting around, hangers clanking in the closet, etc. was terrible. Drove me insane. I got very little sleep between the worrying, the racket, and feeling like death was upon me. Over the rest of the cruise the vibration was never as bad as that first night and first full day. Maybe we got used to it. I don't know. I did notice that because we were center of the ship I didn't feel much of the usual rocking or rolling that I love so much. That was another down side for me. The location was great. I liked the location. Very convenient to the aft elevators. Overall, I'm glad I did it because now I know.....I know that I don't want to be in a center aft verandah room again. I'll leave 'em for y'all who love 'em.
Anything aft runs the risk of vibration from engines / thrusters. We generally like these rooms but I don't think I would book one for a Fantasy cruise, or any other cruise where they have to go pretty much flat-out top speed for long periods of time to get to the next port. We have had aft cabins on the Dream three times and on the Wonder once. Never had a problem with excessive vibration. The key word here is "excessive", there is always some vibration present back towards the stern. We are usually up before arriving in port, but did get rudely awoken once by the thrusters cutting in during docking procedures. We really like being aft as it is close to the back elevators and convienent for the dining rooms, drink station, and the adult area on the Dream.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post

A little tip for the hangars. Thread a towel between empty hangars and they become silent. Took a couple nights for me to figure that one out and it worked perfectly. We had 10656 which is the aft most starboard side room on the Dream. We enjoyed the location but the vibration was annoying. We learned to "vibration proof" our stuff and the room .

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Disney Canadian
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnDRader View Post
A little tip for the hangars. Thread a towel between empty hangars and they become silent. Took a couple nights for me to figure that one out and it worked perfectly. We had 10656 which is the aft most starboard side room on the Dream. We enjoyed the location but the vibration was annoying. We learned to "vibration proof" our stuff and the room .
Other than the hangers, what else did you do to "vibration proof"? We are in 10158 (same room as 10656, I believe but on the port side) at the end of September and would like to avoid the things that we can avoid.

How did you find the noise from Cabanas? I have heard so many opposing views on it. I can sleep through a fire alarm so I'm not too concerned about that, I'm more worried that we won't be able to enjoy our balcony during the day due to the noise.

Thanks for your help!
January 2013: Port Orleans - French Quarter
Sept/Oct 2013: AOA-Little Mermaid/Western Caribbean Cruise - Fantasy
February 2014: Pop Century/4 Night to the Bahamas on the Reimagined Magic!

November 2014: Caribbean Beach for DD's 5th Birthday
October 2015: Eastern Caribbean - Fantasy

Disney Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: