Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #76
cathypa
Earning My Ears

I get the same thing from family & friends. You are going to Disney again? They think my family is crazy. We all love Disney. We can play & when one gets tired they take the bus & head back to the resort. They also think its crazy that my family travel's together one son is married & the other is single.My daughter-n-law & my children love going on vacation with my husband & I. We are a close family. We are lucky enough to stay at a 2 bedroom suite. When we go to Disney. But to me it don't matter where you stay at Disney on property or off if you are happy that's all that matters. Anybody heading to Disney have a great time. I hope the weather is perfect. I wish I could fit in your suit case.lol Enjoy enjoy enjoy.
cathypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #77
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I don't get being upset because a person you mention it to is enthusiastic about your staying at a value but is MORE enthusiastic about a deluxe.

If I said I was staying at Allstars and they said "that's the armpit of Disney, yuck, can't you stay somewhere better" then yeah, but "oh, that's cool" won't bother me just because it isn't "Wow, that's fantastic"
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #78
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I don't know anyone in real life who cares. Most of my friends either live locally or stay offsite, or they aren't Disney people and don't know the difference between All-Star Movies and the Grand Floridian.

I've experienced a little vague snobbery on-site but not a big problem. I don't think most people are that concerned with where other people stay.
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #79
bxccah
Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
Maybe it's me, but I find that people are very opinionated (not just on boards, but in REAL LIFE) when you tell them what hotel you're staying at.

It usually goes something like: "youre so lucky. I wish i was going. Where are you staying?" I normally say the name of a value resort and I get the "oh, okay....that's cool" comment. This time around, when I say "beach club" I get a response of either "wow, must be nice" (insunuating that i have $) or "that's awesome.great choice" (meaning that's equivalent to where they would stay too.) but when you say a mod ....no one really cares either way.

We actually LOVE value resorts. We enjoy the larger than life decor and the ample pools. We even like the food court and don't mind the buses. We CHOOSE to stay at a value resort and look forward to it.

I just don't get the "snobbery" about it. It's Disney and does it REALLY matter where you lay your head at night or which pool you're swimming in?

Everyone likes what they like OR can afford what they can afford and people just seem to have to comment either way. No matter where you stay, you're on vacation and it's going to be awesome.

Ok. I'm done now.....just venting/sharing a bit.
8 days until vacation for us...woooo hoooo
OMG. I got this! Other way round, though. I was at the Animal Kingdom back in Feb, and got chatting to a nice family who had come from Texas. She asked where I was staying and I said Saratoga Springs, and she said "oh. That must be nice to have money like that. We're staying at all star music.' After I said we were there because A- our dining was free and B- we got free flights, and then said otherwise we would've stayed at a Value, she seemed to cheer up...

This time round, everyone I tell that I'm staying at Sports pulls a face and says I should have stayed offsite rather than somewhere tacky!!

What is up with people?! It's disney! Pop or Poly, I'd be happy to be in WDW!

Currently at Disney World! All Star Sports, 9/4 - 9/25
bxccah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #80
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

Frankly do not care what people think of my vacation I am going for me. I choose where I stay based on me and what I am willing and can pay for.
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #81
whitney37354
DIS Veteran

It's that way with everything in everyday life too: neighbhorhood you live in, car you drive, school/church you attend, clothes you wear, restaruarants you eat at. You have to learn to try not to pay attention to what everyone else is doing/saying/eating/driving, etc. It should only matter that you want to or don't want to do/eat/drive/wear, that particular thing.

I've told my family that they should be able to function as a normal human being anywhere. If it's a fancier place than you normally go to, just act like you belong there & you'll be fine. When in Rome, I always say...

Last trip we stayed at CR, atrium club level. No, we really couldn't afford it, and yes, we paid on that CC bill for years. We acted liked we belonged there & had no issues. Why? Because we did belong there, just as much as anyone else did who had paid to be there. Next trip is in our camper at Ft. Wilderness. Our regular vacations are spending camping in the mountains. We fit in just fine there too!

If I see someone with a new shiny thing, I just figure they have another bill to pay. If I see someone with something older, as long as it's working and clean, what do I care?
whitney37354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #82
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxccah View Post
I said Saratoga Springs, and she said "oh. That must be nice to have money like that. We're staying at all star music.' After I said we were there because A- our dining was free and B- we got free flights, and then said otherwise we would've stayed at a Value, she seemed to cheer up...
There really is some truth to what the OP said about mod resorts. True-blue snobs can't find anything really snobby to say about them and the budget travelers don't get defensive about them either.

It's odd that anyone would even really care, but I have seen it and some people really do.

I have family that jabs at us when we talk about all the restaurant dining we do at WDW. To them it's hoighty-toighty of us to not pack sandwiches into the park every day like they did... for every meal... for 5 days... sandwiches...
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #83
blackmamba10000
Mouseketeer

Until our last trip, I had never stayed at a value resort. My husband and I did a split stay at The Polynesian and at Pop Century. While the Polynesian was beautiful and it will always remain my favorite Disney Resort, I was absolutely surprised by how much the two of us loved Pop Century. In fact, we loved it so much, we are going back in October again! I think some people shouldn't knock the value resorts until they've tried it! I'd be happy at any of the Disney Resorts.
blackmamba10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #84
valeriets20
Earning My Ears

sports

we have stayed at many different disney hotels, once even at the Hilton, because we could not get into anywhere. ( It was for the millenium) anway our favorite value is All Star Sports.

We also hear a lot of "again".
valeriets20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #85
GadgetTheInventor
Mouseketeer

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I share DNA with the worst WDW snob I know. He just won't accept that anybody else is justified in spending a penny more than he does. I was explaining to him the other day about Victoria and Albert's and his response was "That's crazy! Those couples will never be able to afford to buy a house!". That is pretty much his running dialogue whenever he comes along...it's folks like these who aren't saving up for retirement and will find themselves dependent on the government when they get old.

I've never felt looked down upon at WDW for staying at a value and I don't even bother discussing with people outside these boards and my family the fact that I go to WDW during vacations. One of the reasons that I like going to WDW is the lack of class snobbery. Attempting to eat a Mickey Bar in the hot sun seems to be a great equalizer.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #86
YankeePrincess
I love Donald Duck

I don't have this problem. Actually my problem is more like this:

Me: I'm going on vacation

Others: Where?

Me: Disney..duh

Others: AGAIN?!

Have a great trip!

Bay Lake Tower Owners Since 2009
Waiting on the Poly DVC!
YankeePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote