Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #61
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Haven't experienced resort snobbery in real life only on the disboards
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #62
Dacky619
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim1964 View Post
Most of the people in my life don't know Disney well enough to react to our resort level in any way. As others have stated, they do react with the, "Disney, again??" thing. I don't even mention a specific hotel unless they ask where we are staying.

We've stayed in all levels except DVC, and all of them have their pros and cons. After 11 trips (number 12 starts tomorrow) we know what we like and what matters to us in a resort. That's how we choose where to stay.

That said, when I see the DVC member merchandise in the resorts, I sometimes wish I belonged to that club.
This. Most of the people we tell have no idea the difference between any of the resorts except for the monorail ones.

Dacky619 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #63
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustergirl View Post
Haven't experienced resort snobbery in real life only on the disboards
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #64
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

No resort snobbery here... we have stayed at Values a few times, then off-site for about 9 years, and now we are POR fans!

The walls at the Values were so thin that we didn't get much sleep. We could hear neighboring conversations like they were in our room. We may never stay in a Value again.

For the price of a Value we have rented a 2-3 bedroom condo off-site, and had a much better time. (check out Bahama Bay Resort)

The Deluxe resorts seem way too expensive to me. Even if I won the Lottery I'd have a difficult time spending money like that.

For us, for now, POR is a nice compromise. On-site, beautiful grounds, sit down restaurant, live entertainment, hot tub, boat ride to DTD... I can hardly wait!
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #65
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

I don't know a single person IRL who would even know that WDW *had* resort levels, much less what they were.

WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #66
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

My opinion is for most this snobbery does not exist (but there always will be a few not so nice people). I think, especially, those that really know and have experienced the different resort levels understand they are all great resorts in there own ways. For the past 2 years we have stayed at CL, and this summer we are staying at AS Sports. You get a different experience at each place.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #67
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I wouldn't let the opinions of others get you down. I've stayed in all levels of resort at WDW and like them all. I haven't booked at the Poly( my favorite) recently because the prices are out of control. I can afford it, but that isn't the point for me. I also want to try new resorts so there's that.

Last December and this December, AoA is my choice. I would love to try AKL, BW, BC, and CSR eventually too.

Hope you have a good trip!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #68
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

I didn't experience any snobbery around my resort choice (POR) never got to that point. When I took my boys this past May & people found out, it got bad (I'm a single mom). People reacted like, "Disney? Must be nice!" I saved for awhile and gave up things like getting my hair done in a salon (just do it myself) and Starbucks everyday. Also packed my lunch. I ended up telling a few people that I know people who work there and got a huge discount. Arghhh.
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #69
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnjmom View Post
I have stayed in values, moderates and a deluxe and my monetary preference is for a value... my comfort preference is for a deluxe. We were going to stay at a moderate this trip but snagged free dining at WL and now will be at a deluxe (at the same cost of a moderate).

I prefer more subtle theming and larger rooms. The time I was at All Star Music, I felt the walls were even thinner than most hotel rooms and slept poorly. I do like the idea of being only a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom, too.
Same preferences same reasons. Book as many Delux nites as I can then add days with moderates and if even more days are needed (um wanted really) then it's gotta be Value but never non-Disney. Got a new reason to go Delux first as of late. Gotta be able to WALK to the park. Hate the bus. Can't depend on the monorail. Gotta new reason to go with the Value room too. The savings help pay for the TAXI.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #70
cobright
DIS Veteran

Mod resorts do seem to just fit the bill for us. Any more 'luxury' would be wasted because we spend most of the trip in the parks. Any less usually means a smaller bed or more crowded pool. When we start leaving the kids at home and going as a couple we will likely stay in value.

The only time I ever wheeled out the snob-wand was to be intentionally insulting to a pompous relative of mine. "All Star Music ... that's so ... cozy. We stayed there once a long time ago when we were young and poor..."

Okay it probably wasn't exactly like that and I feel bad about maligning all the really cool people who stay at value resorts for a whole host of reasons. This guy just had it coming. I never said I was a good person.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #71
GoofyWithGlasses
Mouseketeer

Honestly, we've only ever stayed deluxe- OKW and AKL- but if staying in a value meant that I could go to.Disney, I honestly wouldn't care! One of the items on this trips to do list is to visit AoA because it just looks so damn cool!!
And I always read trip reports and drool over all resorts, no matter their 'ranking'.

Check out my blog!

http://www.goofywithglasses.blogspot.com
GoofyWithGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #72
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

I choose where to stay by comfort level and of course deals I find. I would rather rent DVC points and stay in a hotel closer to the Parks.

I also have a child with Autism so being able to return to the room easily is HUGE for us (Meltdown prevention) - To me it is worth the extra money when my son is happy and calm.

That being said I don't think anyone has the right to judge anyone. Whether they stay in value or CL Deluxe. Those that judge others (on both ends) do so from jealousy or their own insecurities.
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #73
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I definitely used to be a resort snob... but having just stayed at the FW Cabins (I'm actually typing from there now while DH packs our suitcase), I am completely in love with this place. Not sure with family that I would stay anywhere else, and I have previously stayed at GF, Poly, BWI, and AKL.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #74
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Nope, I have not noticed it. As others have said, I never get that far before I get the "you're going back to WDW"? I will say I do prefer staying at the deluxe resorts but I have stayed at value and moderate as well. I actually wouldn't mind trying POFQ.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #75
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

I always feel guitly when I tell people where we are staying. Perhaps that is the frugal New Englander in me coming out. But we have 3 kids and the mod rooms that fit 5 people are not big enough.

We loved staying at AoA last year, our first value but we stayed in a family suite and with room discounts we would have stayed at a deluxe for a little bit less !

Honestly if we could really fit in a value or mod regular room I'd love it - we could spend a whole week or more instead of 5 days!

LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: