Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #46
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

I always just chuckle to myself at the obvious resort 'snobs'.

When talking deluxe vs value at WDW it not like we're talking Four Seasons or Ritz vs Motel 6.

At WDW, I feel deluxe and value are more alike than they are different. We used to stay deluxe all the time. Then we found we like the moderates, and my son and I stayed at Pop one time. We pretty much mix them up now.

In the real world the difference between deluxe and value is amenities and quality, at WDW I feel the biggest difference between deluxe and value is cost.

I also have a feeling that many folks who 'feel' that they are being put down by someone else by their resort choice has more to do with 'them' than the people they are talking to. (Not talking about anyone specifically here, just a general feeling.)
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #47
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

Most of the people in my life don't know Disney well enough to react to our resort level in any way. As others have stated, they do react with the, "Disney, again??" thing. I don't even mention a specific hotel unless they ask where we are staying.

We've stayed in all levels except DVC, and all of them have their pros and cons. After 11 trips (number 12 starts tomorrow) we know what we like and what matters to us in a resort. That's how we choose where to stay.

That said, when I see the DVC member merchandise in the resorts, I sometimes wish I belonged to that club.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #48
wdwfan
Sometimes I prefer to keep my own council

Just this summer, a few times, when people found out I'm going to Disney they'll ask me, "Where are you staying?" In fact, now that I think about it, I get that question almost every time someone asks me about going to Disney. I always stay deluxe, although I have no problem with value and moderates, in fact if we arrive late in the day we'll choose to stay at one for that night and move to our deluxe first thing the next morning. I find that people answer with "Oooh, that's nice" and they'll usually tell me if they've ever stayed at a deluxe. I don't ever offer the information because I do sense "something" in the question and then that "something" again when I give my answer.

I'm getting picked up in 3 and half hours!! I'm hoping the limo will be on time. (I know, totally unnecessary, but I felt like splurging!!!) So excited to get to Disney!!
2001-Boardwalk;2002-Beach Club Villas & Dolphin;2003-Yacht Club Concierge & Portofino Bay;2004-Boardwalk Concierge Deluxe & Portofino Bay;2005-BWV;2005-Boardwalk Concierge & CSR;2006-Wilderness Lodge;2006-Animal Kingdom Lodge;2007-Beach Club;2007-Beach Club Villas and the Wonder
Oct. 31-Nov. 7, 2009- Western Caribbean on the Magic August 2010 Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level;
Yacht Club - Club Level Sept. 2012; Yacht Club - Club Level Aug. 2013 ; Aug. 2014 Yacht Club-Club Level/Portofino Bay Resort Disney's Dream July1, 2015

wdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #49
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

I love these threads. Thanks for starting it. We usually prefer values over deluxe. Really. They're much more alive!

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
In real life, no one asks where we are staying. We never get that far into the conversation because they usually tune out once they find out we are going to Disney again.
Can u even believe such people?!?!?!

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Totally get "the Again??? " And " you go to Disney more than anyone I've ever seen"... Umm, your two to three trips to beach, 1 trip to Nashville and now Jamaica.... Really??!!!!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #52
my2lovedisney
Mouseketeer

My sister always asks "you're going again?!" Ummm yea...we take a family vacation once a year and its to Disney. I love Disney, so do my kids....I think she's just jealous, bc she always asks why isn't she invited...the answer to that is bc I don't have patience for others when I'm on my vacation. I have a friend who snubbed me for staying at deluxe resorts bc she "would never pay that much just to sleep" whatever, someone will always have something to say about something..

5/1998-DL, 9/2011 AKL, 9/2012 WL, We're coming home 9/2013 back to WL

my2lovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #53
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
Maybe it's me, but I find that people are very opinionated (not just on boards, but in REAL LIFE) when you tell them what hotel you're staying at.
I just don't get the "snobbery" about it. It's Disney and does it REALLY matter where you lay your head at night or which pool you're swimming in?
I wonder if you are failing to distinguish between snobbery and simply having an opinion or preference. Your preference is for value resorts. My preference is for moderates generally or for deluxes for special occasions. Am I a snob because I prefer a queen size bed and don't like oversized and brightly coloured detailing all over my resort? Am I a snob if I want to splurge and enjoy the amenities of a monorail resort during an anniversary trip? Am I a snob if it really DOES matter where I lay my head at night and that I care about the resort amenities because I plan to spend a good part of my time at the resort?

People are entitled to their personal opinions and preferences. Just because they may like staying at a deluxe does not mean they are looking down their noses at people who stay at the values or mods. While I have absolutely no doubt that snobs exist, I doubt that 99.9% of people really are like that. I really couldn't care less where anyone else is staying. Whatever floats your boat.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #54
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

There is reverse snobbery too.

We always stay Deluxe for a bunch of reasons. We have people IRL who ask us where we are staying and then say things like "Oh we don't want to spend all that money since all we do is sleep there." Uh, ok. In other words, implying that we are dumb for spending all that money for a room to sleep in (which isn't true for us, we spend a lot of time at the resort).

Anyway, I think it's best to just say "Cool, sounds awesome!" to anyone's choice of accommodations

Last edited by ArwenMarie; 08-10-2013 at 12:25 PM.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #55
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post
I have not experienced this myself. Everyone I know that goes to WDW stays offsite and they think I'm nuts for spending any $$ for onsite.
This is what I have experienced as well
Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #56
RebelSoul
Mouseketeer

I never turn my nose up in what others choose for resort category. Everyone has their own reasons for staying where they stay, whether it's CL at the GF, a value resort, or even off-site. The majority of WDW vacations are just truly happy to be going to WDW.

Yes, occasionally I'll run into someone who doesn't understand why we usually stay deluxe. We're DVC owners. Usually we take longer trips and do spend time at our resort. We sleep in a king bed at home and like having that on vacation along with the jetted tubs in the 1 BDs at the Villas. However, our spring trip this year we did a split trip between VWL on our points at CSR using DH's CM discount because we wanted to try some different on-site properties. We were perfectly happy with CSR and would definitely stay there again. DH is restless sleeper and we could not sleep in double sized beds, but I would not be surprised if I tried a value resort out on a girls only trip in the future.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #57
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
There is reverse snobbery too.

We always stay Deluxe for a bunch of reasons. We have people IRL who ask us where we are staying and then say things like "Oh we don't want to spend all that money since all we do is sleep there." Uh, ok. In other words, implying that we are dumb for spending all that money for a room to sleep in (which isn't true for us, we spend a lot of time at the resort).

Anyway, I think it's best to just say "Cool, sounds awesome!" to anyone's choice of accommodations
"Cool. Sounds awesome." Let's practice getting everyone to say that! I would never think differently about someone because of what resort they chose. There are different priorities and budgets for everyone. Frankly, if someone seemed more impressed with me as a human being because I was staying deluxe, I would think they were a bit superficial. This year, we can afford it. Who knows what next year will bring?
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #58
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

I am a different resort for different purposes kinda person. A quick trip for a long weekend on cash, a value...we won't be at the reosrt or room long enough to use amenities anyway. Long trip with lots of relaxing planned, definately OKW. Theme parks to be hit hard...BLT for a few nights, followed by BCV or BWV for the rest of the trip and walk to the parks to save time! If I travel with extended family I stay where they stay unless they are overlapping my big annual 2 week summer vacation in that case they stay where they want and we meet up. That is what I love about WDW, something for everyone!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #59
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

We're not "hang-around-the-resort" people, so the All-Stars are fine for us. It's true that all we do is sleep and shower there. My first three times at WDW I stayed at the Polynesian, and while it was beautiful, we didn't use the amenities much. All that gorgeous scenery and we were just blowing by it on our way to the parks. For us, it was just common sense to start staying at the Values.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #60
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2lovedisney View Post
My sister always asks "you're going again?!" Ummm yea...we take a family vacation once a year and its to Disney. I love Disney, so do my kids....I think she's just jealous, bc she always asks why isn't she invited...the answer to that is bc I don't have patience for others when I'm on my vacation. I have a friend who snubbed me for staying at deluxe resorts bc she "would never pay that much just to sleep" whatever, someone will always have something to say about something..

Yes someone will always have something to say regardless, I agree with you on that for sure . If you stay at a value some people will say they are a themed Motel 6, if you stay at a deluxe some people will say they are too overpriced for just a place to sleep, if you stay offsite some people will say it's not a real Disney vacation, it goes on and on.
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: