Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #31
Shih-Tzu
Mouseketeer

Location: Lincoln, New Brunswick - 1752.41 miles NE of the CBR; 1751.27 miles NE of POFQ; 1760 miles NE of OKW; 3415 miles NE of DLR Anahiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasil72 View Post
Amen. We get this every time we go. It's okay for them to rent the same Jersey shore or OBX house every summer but I'm horrible for going to Disney. Oh, and worse yet, sometimes I rent a house off site and don't even stay on Disney property. Then you really get some snobby looks. Lol
Truth be told, part of the reason we stay on property is because being from such a small place, we wouldn't have the nerve to rent a car and attempt to drive it down there anymore.....Magical Express + Disney transportation equals less frayed nerves. **phew - I'm glad that's out**
Feb 2012 - OKW
Nov 2013 - Good Neighbour in Anaheim

Shih-Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #32
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

I don't think it is snobbery most of the time, I view it as preference. I have had people who are surprised we chose not to use a dining plan or that we sometimes like the Swan and Dolphin. I would prefer to not use the DDP and stay at a nicer resort instead, but that is just the way we travel.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #33
katiee37
DIS Veteran

I've never experience this verbally, but considering that I have extended family that are DVC members and that tend to book two bedroom or larger villas even when they don't really need to do so, I think I put the kind of judgment that the OP talks about onto myself that 1. I'm not a DVC member and 2. I've stayed at all three classes of resorts, but will most likely stay value for the next few years.

But then I remember I'm in college and not too many people in college can budget for education and Disney...so I need to appreciate everything that I have.

Plus I think it helps that outside of the DVC member family members, no one else in my family or in my friend group knows WDW well enough to know the difference between an All-Star and Grand Floridian.
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #34
bookgirl2632
DIS Veteran

We've only stayed at MODs, basically because of budget. Next year, we will either stay at POFQ or POP, depending on how much we manage to save up. I would love to stay at BWI or GF, but that would mean a shorter trip. No matter where I stay, I'll just be happy to be there. What anyone else thinks shouldn't matter.

1976 Offsite 1990 Offsite in Kissimmee 2001 CBR 2006 POR 2010 HRH
bookgirl2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #35
Choozee
Mouseketeer

I don't even know the difference because I haven't stayed in any of them! Lol I am just thankful to get a cheap room off site 20 miles down the road and live on PBS & jelly for a time! Hey, I'm a single mom taking my daughters to Disney! And they are happy! We leave filled with fun memories and love!
Choozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

I think it's only on these boards, really. In real life I mentioned that I was staying at the Beach Club and the response was, "Oooh, I've never been to the ocean!"

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #37
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
Maybe it's me, but I find that people are very opinionated (not just on boards, but in REAL LIFE) when you tell them what hotel you're staying at.

It usually goes something like: "youre so lucky. I wish i was going. Where are you staying?" I normally say the name of a value resort and I get the "oh, okay....that's cool" comment. This time around, when I say "beach club" I get a response of either "wow, must be nice" (insunuating that i have $) or "that's awesome.great choice" (meaning that's equivalent to where they would stay too.) but when you say a mod ....no one really cares either way.

We actually LOVE value resorts. We enjoy the larger than life decor and the ample pools. We even like the food court and don't mind the buses. We CHOOSE to stay at a value resort and look forward to it.

I just don't get the "snobbery" about it. It's Disney and does it REALLY matter where you lay your head at night or which pool you're swimming in?

Everyone likes what they like OR can afford what they can afford and people just seem to have to comment either way. No matter where you stay, you're on vacation and it's going to be awesome.

Ok. I'm done now.....just venting/sharing a bit.
8 days until vacation for us...woooo hoooo
Oh this happens on these boards and in real life. We, like you apparently, have chosen to do mods, not deluxes. We can afford deluxe but don't see the value in it ... there differences are really marginal, and I would rather see that money go to something better. We even talk about doing a deluxe, but then we are like ... naaaah. Might do it through DVC rental though, as long as we can be firm on our dates for a trip.

I am sure we have all seen the resort snobbery here, but in real life, ugh. Went to a social gathering and the topic of Disney came up, explained our last trip, and the resort. And then had a guy go on at length, basically telling me my vacation actually sucked (even though we had just talked about how awesome it was) because we did not stay at the Grand Floridian. He actually that Disney was not worth doing unless you were spending $20,000 or more .... no word of a lie, that actually came out of his mouth.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #38
HMANSION LOVER
PIN TRADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl2632 View Post
We've only stayed at MODs, basically because of budget. Next year, we will either stay at POFQ or POP, depending on how much we manage to save up. I would love to stay at BWI or GF, but that would mean a shorter trip. No matter where I stay, I'll just be happy to be there. What anyone else thinks shouldn't matter.
YOU SAID IT ALL

Me DW:: DS15 DD:: 10
1999 WDW Music
2000 WDW Off property
2004 WDW Off property
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2011 WDW Boardwalk Villas
2013 DLR PPH and DLH
HMANSION LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #39
rickers353
Mouseketeer

I've heard both sides with comments too, and neither bothers me. My goal is for my family to enjoy ourselves. Besides that, seriously how can someone come across as uppity, if they are eating cotton candy while wearing Mickey Ears?

Each person has to do what they can. If they can afford a deluxe or a villa, God bless them. If they are staying at a value, maybe its because they are just being frugal, not cheap.

After all folks, once we hit those parks, don't we all turn into being a kid again?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #40
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I would happily stay at a value, but only if I was doing a parks intensive trip with not much downtime at the resort. The values aren't very relaxing.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #41
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

I have a friend who is seriously wealthy, not 'new money' through banking or property etc but old money, ie born into money. Never worked a day in her life, has numerous properties and is always travelling (no budget of course), lovely lady who always goes to the values, her kids (and her also) absolutely adore the larger than life characters/decor.

This is someone who could stay in one of the presidential suites each of her trips but she prefers to have 'fun' for 3 weeks at a value resort. Just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
ClareH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #42
DCbride
DIS Veteran

I get this too. It's really funny since we go 3x a year we stay where we can get the best deal. If I say BC or AKL- it's oooh, you are so lucky. If it is Pop or off site - it's a quick oh, ok, like that makes more sense to them. Lately, I say we are staying in a Little Mermaid room just to try to confuse them since most are not familiar with the newest resort.

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #43
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I've staved value, mod and deluxe. I've gone 1-3 times per year for the last 10 years. I've heard it all. I just blow people off as its none of their business. My new answer is " my husband picked the resort and he doesn't care what it costs and after 24 years of marriage I don't argue with vacation choice". I don't snob anyone where they stay on or off site. I'm happy for them.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #44
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1
In real life, no one asks where we are staying. We never get that far into the conversation because they usually tune out once they find out we are going to Disney again.
*Like*
Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #45
pieface
Mouseketeer

None of my friends are Disney snobs they are just Disney nuts. They don't care where any of us are staying there just happy to be in Disney. I've been to Disney 52 times and my friends could not understand why I love Disney so much until they went there. They have all become Disney addicts like me. I have run into some snobs who stay at the G.F. and kind of dismiss that your staying at a value resort but I just don't pay attention to them. I like to stay at the moderate resorts only because they have queen size beds and I need my space to sleep. We usually go with my son but if it is only my wife and myself we will stay at music I like the resort.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: