Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
v.t.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
Maybe it's me, but I find that people are very opinionated (not just on boards, but in REAL LIFE) when you tell them what hotel you're staying at.

It usually goes something like: "youre so lucky. I wish i was going. Where are you staying?" I normally say the name of a value resort and I get the "oh, okay....that's cool" comment. This time around, when I say "beach club" I get a response of either "wow, must be nice" (insunuating that i have $) or "that's awesome.great choice" (meaning that's equivalent to where they would stay too.) but when you say a mod ....no one really cares either way.

We actually LOVE value resorts. We enjoy the larger than life decor and the ample pools. We even like the food court and don't mind the buses. We CHOOSE to stay at a value resort and look forward to it.

I just don't get the "snobbery" about it. It's Disney and does it REALLY matter where you lay your head at night or which pool you're swimming in?

Everyone likes what they like OR can afford what they can afford and people just seem to have to comment either way. No matter where you stay, you're on vacation and it's going to be awesome.

Ok. I'm done now.....just venting/sharing a bit.
8 days until vacation for us...woooo hoooo
I totally agree! Except the snob happens to be a relative. We have stayed at BC and ASMusic, and I much preferred the value. This time we are staying at a mod for FD. The kids want TS meals and I want the queen bed. But I bet if we get to go back it will be to 2 values.
I mentioned to a certain relative that we would like to see the WL, so guess what she booked yesterday, that's right, WL. Because they really don't like having to take the buses to all the parks.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
In real life, no one asks where we are staying. We never get that far into the conversation because they usually tune out once they find out we are going to Disney again.
so true!

In my head we could do one deluxe type stay per year or every other year or we could go multiple times staying at a value - no brainer for us!

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
so true!

In my head we could do one deluxe type stay per year or every other year or we could go multiple times staying at a value - no brainer for us!
I hear ya! We stayed at YC in April, and you better believe I have no issues with the fact that I am staying at POFQ next month. I had to pick a cheaper resort for next month but at least I get to go again this year!

It's all Disney!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.t. View Post
I totally agree! Except the snob happens to be a relative. We have stayed at BC and ASMusic, and I much preferred the value. This time we are staying at a mod for FD. The kids want TS meals and I want the queen bed. But I bet if we get to go back it will be to 2 values.
I mentioned to a certain relative that we would like to see the WL, so guess what she booked yesterday, that's right, WL. Because they really don't like having to take the buses to all the parks.
LOL.

We're staying at WL this time as some compensation from DH for us having to cancel this year's trip twice. Next year, we're looking at staying at the CR in the tower, but we're both turning 40 and it's our 5th anniversary. Normally, we stay at POR for our longer trips, so these two are definitely splurges!

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
jeepnx01
Earning My Ears

It has happened to me. I look at it this way, All that I do at the hotel is sleep and shower. Why should I spend big $$$ for that? I'd rather spend as little as possible on that. I am there for the parks not the rooms.
jeepnx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
arfisher12
Earning My Ears

Don't let it bother you. No matter you are going to Disney and that is all that matters. I would rather stay at a value resort than not be able to go at all. I think value resorts are a great way to stay on property for a good price. I prefer the mods only for the hot tub my feet hurt after a day in the parks.
arfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
mommy2mygirls
Mouseketeer

One family we know just went to WDW for the first time in January 2013. They stayed at Pop, but had ADRs at several other resorts, so they got to see the place. We usually stay at the moderates, but this time decided to splurge for the Poly. When they asked me where we were staying this time (they blame me for them now being addicted, lol) and I said the Poly, their only response was "you suck!" This is supposed to be our big splurge trip, so we're going to enjoy it!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #23
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
In real life, no one asks where we are staying. We never get that far into the conversation because they usually tune out once they find out we are going to Disney again.
Ha-ha-us too! Most of our friends (not all, there are some who get it) just don't understand why we go so often. We always stay moderate or deluxe. When we stay at the Poly, we do get the "wow, that's fabulous" comments, but I don't take it as snobbery, just appreciation. We love our POFQ &POR stays just as much as our Poly and WL stays - and we tell people that.
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #24
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfriend416 View Post
THIS. I always get, "All the places you could go on vacation and you choose Disney again?" Yes. Yes I do. I have my whole life to see other places. At this point in my life, Disney is what I'm into! Plus, the only other vacations I'd like to take (like a trip to Ireland or a road trip to national parks out west) are not feasible right now. So Disney it is!
Amen. We get this every time we go. It's okay for them to rent the same Jersey shore or OBX house every summer but I'm horrible for going to Disney. Oh, and worse yet, sometimes I rent a house off site and don't even stay on Disney property. Then you really get some snobby looks. Lol
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
NJDisneyfamily86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfriend416 View Post

THIS. I always get, "All the places you could go on vacation and you choose Disney again?" Yes. Yes I do. I have my whole life to see other places. At this point in my life, Disney is what I'm into! Plus, the only other vacations I'd like to take (like a trip to Ireland or a road trip to national parks out west) are not feasible right now. So Disney it is!
Oh the story of my life. Our children are small and we tend to go to disney every other year. So be it!!! We love it.
NJDisneyfamily86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #26
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

I just get the " how can you afford to go there every year"?. Like OP said, most of my friends/family have only stayed at value so no snobbery there. The others don't know one from another because they have never been there.

2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

I live in Los Angeles. People just wonder why we fly across the country when Disneyland is just down the freeway. There are not too many people here that are familiar with WDW resorts. I could tell them I booked a suite at the Grand and they wouldn't have a clue.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
ammag
DIS Veteran

A friend of mine went for the first time recently and was asking for my planning help. She actually got very annoyed that people other than the deluxe guests get to use disney transportation! What? She and a few others I know will not go unless they are in deluxe. I say good for them, I wish I had options. I am just lucky to be trying AoA for the first time next fall! For many many people going at all will never be an option, people should try to remember how lucky they and we are!

My inlaws go to the same timeshare resort in ft lauderdale twice a year and sit around the resort. Every. Year. They definitely think we are nuts going again a year after our first trip, but like some of you said, I don't see e difference. Of course I think we will have more fun lol
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
HMANSION LOVER
PIN TRADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
Maybe it's me, but I find that people are very opinionated (not just on boards, but in REAL LIFE) when you tell them what hotel you're staying at.

It usually goes something like: "youre so lucky. I wish i was going. Where are you staying?" I normally say the name of a value resort and I get the "oh, okay....that's cool" comment. This time around, when I say "beach club" I get a response of either "wow, must be nice" (insunuating that i have $) or "that's awesome.great choice" (meaning that's equivalent to where they would stay too.) but when you say a mod ....no one really cares either way.

We actually LOVE value resorts. We enjoy the larger than life decor and the ample pools. We even like the food court and don't mind the buses. We CHOOSE to stay at a value resort and look forward to it.

I just don't get the "snobbery" about it. It's Disney and does it REALLY matter where you lay your head at night or which pool you're swimming in?

Everyone likes what they like OR can afford what they can afford and people just seem to have to comment either way. No matter where you stay, you're on vacation and it's going to be awesome.

Ok. I'm done now.....just venting/sharing a bit.
8 days until vacation for us...woooo hoooo
My story is a little different, kinda like yours in reverse. As can be seen in our signiture we started at ASM then did off site a few times. After my business started to really take off and we were no longer living paycheck to paycheck, and were actually putting money in the bank, we decided to treat ourselves to a really nice (and when it comes to vacations nice = $$$) vacation. We decided to stay at the WL, WOW. It was awesome, only now we are spoiled and will wait longer between visits so we can save enough for deluxe. I make no judgements about where a person stays, but I know other people do. The people who live down the block from us were planning a trip to WDW. When we were standing at the bus stop with the kids the husband says to me "So I hear you guys go to WDW alot". I said I wouldn't call it alot but we go every few years or so. He says "we heard you stayed at ASM, how did you like the bus service because we are staying at the BC and will have to take the bus to AK and MK". Innocently enough I said the bus service is excellent no problems and believe me you will truly enjoy the boardwalk area around the BC we stayed at the BWV last time there and we truly loved the boardwalk entertainment after we got back from the parks. He was silent after that. Obviously not one upping me. Some people have to brag, some people have to try and put it in your face that they make more money than you even when they don't know how much money you make, and some people are just a_ _ holes. To quote a poster on the DIS, sorry I can't remember who to give credit to 10% of life is what happens to you and 90% of life is how you react to it.

Me DW:: DS15 DD:: 10
1999 WDW Music
2000 WDW Off property
2004 WDW Off property
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2011 WDW Boardwalk Villas
2013 DLR PPH and DLH
HMANSION LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
Shih-Tzu
Mouseketeer

Location: Lincoln, New Brunswick - 1752.41 miles NE of the CBR; 1751.27 miles NE of POFQ; 1760 miles NE of OKW; 3415 miles NE of DLR Anahiem

I've stayed in the mods and lucked into OKW once because of a great deal but I'd be just as happy in a value, and I've stayed in a "very low cost" off site property way down the US 192.... I've never thought one way or the other about who stays where - if someone tells me they're going to Disney I'm happy for them no matter what!!!

I know what you mean about "you're going again?" and one of my favourites is "but you're kids are grown up - what do the two of you find to do in Disney". We enjoy walking around, we enjoy watching how excited little ones are, and we enjoy taking the afternoons "off" from the parks and enjoy the pool. The water is just as wet in a value pool as it is in a deluxe
I know some who try to make you feel guilty that we go as often as we do now, but we don't go on weekend trips or to concerts, etc like they do or own a camping trailer like they do and it all evens out at the end.

If I decide to go to DLR, I'm going to stay off-site in a good neighbour hotel. Clean room and a pool and no snow to shovel for a week makes me happy.
Feb 2012 - OKW
Nov 2013 - Good Neighbour in Anaheim

Shih-Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: