Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
RainK
Mouseketeer

Resort class snobbery (maybe it's me)

Maybe it's me, but I find that people are very opinionated (not just on boards, but in REAL LIFE) when you tell them what hotel you're staying at.

It usually goes something like: "youre so lucky. I wish i was going. Where are you staying?" I normally say the name of a value resort and I get the "oh, okay....that's cool" comment. This time around, when I say "beach club" I get a response of either "wow, must be nice" (insunuating that i have $) or "that's awesome.great choice" (meaning that's equivalent to where they would stay too.) but when you say a mod ....no one really cares either way.

We actually LOVE value resorts. We enjoy the larger than life decor and the ample pools. We even like the food court and don't mind the buses. We CHOOSE to stay at a value resort and look forward to it.

I just don't get the "snobbery" about it. It's Disney and does it REALLY matter where you lay your head at night or which pool you're swimming in?

Everyone likes what they like OR can afford what they can afford and people just seem to have to comment either way. No matter where you stay, you're on vacation and it's going to be awesome.

Ok. I'm done now.....just venting/sharing a bit.
8 days until vacation for us...woooo hoooo

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
freckles04
DIS Veteran

I have not experienced this myself. Everyone I know that goes to WDW stays offsite and they think I'm nuts for spending any $$ for onsite.
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

honestly, i have never encountered anything like this. we aren't friends with too many people who are into Disney though. most don't even know which resort is which. haha!

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

I love the value resorts. Much more Disney themed than others. The one thing I really appreciate though is having a queen size bed.... that extra room in the bed helps me and DW get a better night's sleep. The money saved by being at a value resort is good to spend on other things!
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).
DisneyFamily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
poconopixie
Basking in the ambience.

I have not seen this from friends or family either. But then, I have only been to WDW once and it will be 2 more years before I am there again. I have to $ave because Disney is expen$ive! Even at a Value!

While a Value would not be my cup of tea, I would never think less of someone for choosing one. They are cute and whimsical and charming. If my children were younger I would probably choose one myself because children seem to love the larger than life theming.

Don't let someone make you feel bad for your choice. Just go and have a great time and know you made the perfect choice for you!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

I haven't seen it either but most of my friends wouldn't know the name of any Disney resort.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

In real life, no one asks where we are staying. We never get that far into the conversation because they usually tune out once they find out we are going to Disney again.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
RainK
Mouseketeer

OP here. It seriously seems to happen to me often. Even happened to be tonight.
Like I said....."maybe it's me"

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
cfriend416
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
In real life, no one asks where we are staying. We never get that far into the conversation because they usually tune out once they find out we are going to Disney again.
THIS. I always get, "All the places you could go on vacation and you choose Disney again?" Yes. Yes I do. I have my whole life to see other places. At this point in my life, Disney is what I'm into! Plus, the only other vacations I'd like to take (like a trip to Ireland or a road trip to national parks out west) are not feasible right now. So Disney it is!
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
OP here. It seriously seems to happen to me often. Even happened to be tonight.
Like I said....."maybe it's me"
apparently you hang out with people who like Disney. i agree with a pp no one cares about our Disney trips anymore.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer

I have seen exactly what you're talking about...at least with family and friends around me.

If they here that we're going, I get either "again?" and I even got the "you're addicted". I politely respond with a reminder that when a family frequents the same ski resort every other weekend or rents the same house down on Cape Cod the exact same week every year, no one seems to have anything to say about that...

We have tried 2 values (ASMovies and Pop) and 2 deluxe (WL and GF). Once I started to mention that we are going to GF again, I do get the "lots of money look)...

Actually, no...our family loves Disney and we work very hard to make sure necessities are paid and then that we can splurge on the one vacation we get a year...with that I have never gone without some form of a deal or promotion... I plan and plan but it pays off...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
alc571
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
LOL! I hear ya!

I work in a government legal department with two DVC members and the head of our department who stays at the GF! I always feel my choice of POR is inadequate to theirs, but honestly even if I had their money, I would still pick POR! Just love it more - theme, location, queen beds...

I would never snub my nose at someone staying at a Value resort or any other resort. I love their larger than life Disney themeing, but they don't tick enough of our boxes.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
sweetnjmom
Mouseketeer

I have stayed in values, moderates and a deluxe and my monetary preference is for a value... my comfort preference is for a deluxe. We were going to stay at a moderate this trip but snagged free dining at WL and now will be at a deluxe (at the same cost of a moderate).

I prefer more subtle theming and larger rooms. The time I was at All Star Music, I felt the walls were even thinner than most hotel rooms and slept poorly. I do like the idea of being only a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom, too.

Past trips off property: 4/80, 1/81, 6/94 and 5/09
Past trips on property: 8/90 GF, 10/96 CBR, 11/01 ASM, 5/02 POR, 5/06 CSR, 11/13 WL

Last edited by sweetnjmom; 08-09-2013 at 09:02 PM.
sweetnjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
TravelMommy
Mouseketeer

Rain, have a great trip! We love the value resorts too! We love the theming and the food courts.
TravelMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
RainK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMommy View Post
Rain, have a great trip! We love the value resorts too! We love the theming and the food courts.
Thanks a bunch!

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: