Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your preferred method of dealing with rain in the Parks?
Umbrella 16 9.09%
Raincoat 11 6.25%
Poncho 82 46.59%
Disposeable Poncho 49 27.84%
Other 18 10.23%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

BTW, sort of related - Did anyone else notice that Disney CM's are now asking you to take your ponchos off before getting on a ride? I've never had that happen to me before.
sonofanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofanarchy View Post
BTW, sort of related - Did anyone else notice that Disney CM's are now asking you to take your ponchos off before getting on a ride? I've never had that happen to me before.
They were doing that in 2011, too. We had two straight days of rain and were asked on a number of occasions to take our ponchos off.

To answer the poll question, we use disposable ponchos from the dollar store. They're flimsy, sure, but work well enough. We do use the WDW ponchos for days where it rains all day because they hold up a little better for taking on and off.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Gamegrl1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
my vote is disposable poncho due to being lightweight, takes up little space, can toss it after the rain and not deal with drying off a wet poncho to put in backpack. then when it rains again we can just pull more out.
Ooo...sorry...I have to shoot this one down. It just seems so horrendously wasteful to use something like that once and throw it out. Might not seem like a big deal but they end up in a landfill. Now think of how many "disposable" ponchos you use on one trip and multiply it by the # of people in your group and the # of days you do that. And picture your part in adding to all the trash and all the energy and resources that are being used and wasted. And there are other people who do that too...just using and wasting.

I get that it's inconvenient but how about just getting one for each person and when you're done using it, fold/roll/squish it up and stick it in a plastic bag in your backpack so it doesn't get everything else wet? That's what I do. One would take up less space than several (come on, just squash it down!), cost less and be much easier on the environment.

On a separate note, using an umbrella is not rude. You've got to be kidding me. Just watch that you're not poking someone. I don't know what to tell you about watching fireworks in the rain, but people want to stay dry. Get over it.
Gamegrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamegrl1 View Post
Ooo...sorry...I have to shoot this one down. It just seems so horrendously wasteful to use something like that once and throw it out. Might not seem like a big deal but they end up in a landfill. Now think of how many "disposable" ponchos you use on one trip and multiply it by the # of people in your group and the # of days you do that. And picture your part in adding to all the trash and all the energy and resources that are being used and wasted. And there are other people who do that too...just using and wasting.

I get that it's inconvenient but how about just getting one for each person and when you're done using it, fold/roll/squish it up and stick it in a plastic bag in your backpack so it doesn't get everything else wet? That's what I do. One would take up less space than several (come on, just squash it down!), cost less and be much easier on the environment.

On a separate note, using an umbrella is not rude. You've got to be kidding me. Just watch that you're not poking someone. I don't know what to tell you about watching fireworks in the rain, but people want to stay dry. Get over it.
Disney recycles
Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Linleedo
Mouseketeer

We use the lightweight disposable raincoats or ponchos. We re-use them. If the sun comes out, they are thrown into a ziplock bag. When we get back to the resort, we hang them up, dry them out & re-pack them into the Disney bag for the park. We have carried the heavier Disney ponchos. But, switched to a lighter weight due to the humidity & heat in Florida and to lighten the load in the bag.:umbrella
Linleedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
glamdring269
Mouseketeer

We do a lot of hiking so have some very effective and extremely light weight rain jackets to wear. We also tend to wear waterproof shoes that are about as comfortable as tennis shoes. Pack an extra pair of socks in the backpack just in case. Can't go wrong.
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
djmeredith
DIS Veteran

We were there July 4th week this year and we had LOTS of rain the first several days. We just put on ponchos and kept going. If the storm hit after noonish, the crowd thinned out quite a bit. That made for some shorter lines which was great.

As to what type of rain gear to use, I would recommend a rain jacket not a poncho. We purchased the Mickey ponchos at Wal-Mart the first night because storms were predicted for the next several days. Those were $4 each and were moderately sturdy (much sturdier than the dollar store version but not as durable as the Disney version). Those would have been perfectly adequate and comfortable for the typical afternoon Florida summer rain showers. However, we experienced much more rain than that and after 4 days of on and off use, they were ripping. If heavy or frequent rain storms are predicted during my trip next time, I would personally invest in the Coleman type rain jackets that I have seen at Wal-Mart for $8 in the camping section. They are basically the same material as the sturdier ponchos but in jacket version. We had to wear the ponchos quite a bit, and I think the jacket version would have been more comfortable for longer periods of time.

I was glad I didn't have to fool with an umbrella becuase it was very crowded and I was often alone in the parks with two kids so I needed my hands free.
djmeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #23
Victoria3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofanarchy View Post
Like I said above, it's also about people using them during parades or fireworks. They get in the way. But yeah, people are just very careless.
You can say the same about poncho wearers. I've had people brush up on me, take their poncho off and proceed to shake it around everyone.

I use an umbrella and I've never poked someone in the eye.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
cobright
DIS Veteran

The Sahara line of clothes from REI.

It's not waterproof, but they stay warm even when wet and they dry in 10-15 minutes.

Being wet in a plastic bag is just as bad as being wet in clothes IMO.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria3 View Post
You can say the same about poncho wearers. I've had people brush up on me, take their poncho off and proceed to shake it around everyone.

I use an umbrella and I've never poked someone in the eye.
Between getting wet from someone taking their poncho off and getting poked in the eye with an umbrella, I'll take getting wet.

Yes, I have been poked in the eye before. It sucks.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:

Well you could look at it that way or you could look at it this way.
When I am home I probably take out the garbage at least once every 2 days, some times once a day. I'll be gone for 8 days, so at minimum that is 4 less garbage bags from my home that will end up in a landfill. I have a family of 5, we use 1 disposable poncho each for the week, at the end of the week we throw them out. Kind of evens out in the end
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Using an umbrella in general is not rude, but standing in someone's way at an event like a parade or fireworks certainly is; they are generally not allowed in stadiums at all for this reason. If I made an umbrella my main plan for staying dry with no poncho or raincoat for backup I would plan to get completely out of the way during these activities to allow other people to have a view, even if that meant my view was poor.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #28
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

so it looks like ponchos as a whole are the overwhelming method of rain mitigation with disposable vs. non-disposable going at it neck & neck.

we have ordered disposable ponchos and will be bringing our mini umbrellas as back up in case said ponchos turn out to fall apart or not work for any other reason.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Well you could look at it that way or you could look at it this way.
When I am home I probably take out the garbage at least once every 2 days, some times once a day. I'll be gone for 8 days, so at minimum that is 4 less garbage bags from my home that will end up in a landfill. I have a family of 5, we use 1 disposable poncho each for the week, at the end of the week we throw them out. Kind of evens out in the end
then there is all the plastic and paper for the food & snacks we buy at Disney....oh the dilemma.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Using an umbrella in general is not rude, but standing in someone's way at an event like a parade or fireworks certainly is; they are generally not allowed in stadiums at all for this reason. If I made an umbrella my main plan for staying dry with no poncho or raincoat for backup I would plan to get completely out of the way during these activities to allow other people to have a view, even if that meant my view was poor.
You put it a lot better than I did. And your example is perfect. When we go to football games, umbrellas are not allowed in. We go prepared, knowing we may get wet if it rains.

I didn't mean to come off as harsh as I did and say that if you walk around the park with an umbrella, you're rude. If you're careful with it and are aware of your surroundings, fine. The rude people are the ones that block the view of people at parades and shows.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: