Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Castaway Cay Beaches Adult vs Family

I'm looking to find out about the actual beaches on Castaway Cay - adult vs. family. There will be no children with us on this cruise so either beach would be fine. We went to a beach in the Caribbean (can't remember which island) on a cruise a few years ago and it was almost impossible to get into the water due to all the rocks near the water's edge.

We were in Castaway Cay many years ago and I honestly do not remember. We spent most of our time at the adult beach. I seem to remember reading on these boards that there were a lot of rocks in front of some of the cabanas near the water. We are not getting a cabana - but we are wondering how the actual access to the water is. I am sure I will be bringing my water shoes - but I hate walking on rocks to get into the water.

Thanks,

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
clten
DIS Veteran

The adult beach is kept natural. They clean up after guests but leave the natural stuff there. So there are a lot of shells on the beach that make it "rocky". There is also a lot of vegetation in the water of the adult beach. On the other hand, the family beach is groomed. Not that you won't see shells or some vegetation but there is a lot less on the family beach (along with the break wall so no large marine animals will make their way onto the family beach where the adult beach is open and anything can swim up). Near the water on the family beach, it is easier to get in and out of the water without walking on many, many sharp shells. Either way, we bring water shoes for CC. That way we're prepared no matter which beach we end up on!
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
eyesing4u
DVC Member

I prefer the family beach. It is more protected. With the weather as unpredictable as it is, I found on several occasions that it was way too windy at Serenity Bay. I honestly can't remember any issues with the rocks. That being said I do prefer the BBQ at the adult beach. Less chaos!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for both inputs. I kind of remember reading about the adult beach being more rocky. We will definitely bring water shoes and check out both beaches - hope to rent bikes. We want to snorkel and want to do that on the family beach.

We are cruising with 10 other adults. I will make sure to mention to them to bring water shoes.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

I remember being surprised at the ocean 'floor' at Serenity Bay. It was far more natural, rocky and uneven than the family beach. When we return, we'll take water shoes.

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

All of which leads me to wonder WHY the adult beach cannot be kept as groomed as the Family beach???

Could it be they are really NOT that interested in what experience an adult might have at Castaway Cay??

Could it be??????
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Wow, we didn't find the adult beach "rocky" at all. It was lovely!!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Rocky is relative, compared to the family beach Serenity Bay is rockier. Compared to Satellite Beach, FL where we have gone many times on vacation, Serenity Bay is smooth. One thing I love about Serenity Bay is that you will see fish and sometimes other ocean critters in the water.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

I agree with wendyoconnor, rocky is relative to what you're used to.The sand on the adult beach may not be as smooth as some beaches I've been on. I think I would recommend water shoes or flipflops for some people. But its a lot less crowded then the family beach,their is plenty of chairs with umbrellas and a lot more quiet.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
All of which leads me to wonder WHY the adult beach cannot be kept as groomed as the Family beach???

Could it be they are really NOT that interested in what experience an adult might have at Castaway Cay??

Could it be??????
It's not that the adult beach cannot be kept groomed, it is a choice that DCL has made. They wanted to have less impact on the environment. They realized they would have to make changes such as building the breakwall, grooming part of the island and doing some construction to make it enjoyable to guests but they have tried to keep as much as possible natural.

An adult is more than welcome to use the Family beach so they have not been excluded from anything. They have just been given a choice.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
plutojudy
Needs sunshine and seas.

We find that Crocs work best at Serenty Bay. The sand falls out. When we wore water shoes they filled with sand.

Cruise # 13 - Magic - February 22, 2015

Disney Wonder - 2000 Nassau, 2001 Nassau, Freeport, 2011 Alaska: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan
Disney Magic - 2002 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John 2003 Western Mystery cruise, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Key West, 2004 Western, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 2007 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, 2009 Eastern, St Croix, St Thomas 2010 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John
Disney Dream -2012 Nassau
Disney Fantasy - 2013 Eastern, St Thomas, San Juan 2014 Western, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica
Disneyland Hotel, Fort Wilderness Home, Yacht and Beach Club, Caribbean Beach, Dixie Landings, All Star Movie, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, All Star Music, Art of Animation
plutojudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

As far as Serenity Beach being "kept natural" one of our January cruises this is what we saw the entire length of the beach (a long line of seaweed "piled up - not to much exposed sand on the beach)...

The wind was cold and out of the north, so we headed back to the family beach because it was cleaner and MUCH WARMER (protected from the breeze)

This January we stayed at Serenity Beach because it was very nice there. In the afternoon we walked out farther than this - bare foot. Yes those dark spots are rocks, but the light areas are very nice sand! And you can see that this trip there was not the "Seaweed Issue" that we encountered on our prior trip.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
CurtisB
Mouseketeer

Serenity Bay does have some rocks, but it's not like the entire beach is just rocks. You can certainly avoid them. Unless you plan on running around on the beach or in the water tossing a football or something, I don't think they should really be that much of an issue.

On the question of keeping it natural, I personally prefer it that way. I find a natural surrounding much more relaxing that an artificial manicured one. I also applaud them for minimizing the impact on the environment.

CurtisB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
tink2007
DIS Veteran

Can you snorkel at Serenity Beach?
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
tink2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink2007 View Post
Can you snorkel at Serenity Beach?
To much sand on the beach to snorkel, but it is OK in the water there!!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: