Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
elizabetforrest
Earning My Ears

Which Deluxe????

My sweet fiancé and I are trying to choose a resort for our January honeymoon. We're spending the first night at AKL because we love the animals but don't want to spend the whole trip in such an isolated area. I think we've narrowed the remaining nights down to either the Poly, Contemporary, or Beach Club. Ordinarily it would be a no brainer because I've always wanted to stay at the Poly, but the construction rumors have us worried. We don't want to pay that price to be in the middle of extensive construction and have the resort lose some of it's magic. What are your suggestions on a good choice for a good mix between romance and fun?
elizabetforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
jimandami
DIS Veteran

I personally would choose YC because of its location, especially for an adult trip!! Being able to walk 5 minutes and be in the World Showcase for a drink or a nice meal is absolutely priceless, IMO.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! When it comes to deluxe hotels, there's no bad choice. I've been fortunate to stay in almost all of them, and all have their unique qualities as well as pros and cons. The Contemporary and Beach Club are very different themes and locations, so which appeals to you more? Also, how much does being on a monorail matters? January can be chilly, so you may not be able to use Beach Club's wonderful pool too often. Sometimes riding the boats can be chilly in January too. Also, what parks will you spend the most time in? If I can be of help, let me know.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

It is not on your list but BLT.

you can walk to the MK - it has some great views.

of course some don't think it is romantic.

if you like AKV - then you might consider WL/VWL.
It is slightly cheaper than the ones you mentioned.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

For a honeymoon, I'd say CR or somewhere on the monorail.

I think this is a win-win no matter what you pick!
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

YC & BC access to great restaurants, cool pool & you can walk into EPCOT.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
disneyworldaddict
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Poly which is perfect for romance and convenience. But I understand your construction concerns. We ate a BC last summer and we will be staying there next month. It looks absolutely beautiful and romantic and its such a pleasant stroll to World Showcase. I don't think you'd regret it and you can always go back and stay at Poly for an anniversary.👰💍

disneyworldaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at all four.

Personally, I would pick the AKL for the entire time...but we like the "secluded feeling."

Of the remaining three, I would put them in this order: Poly, Contemporary and lastly Beach Club. We've stayed Poly three times and love everything about it; we've stayed at Contemporary twice and while we have no desire to stay again, you can't beat the convenience of walking to the MK. I was not enthralled with the BC as many people are. The buses were the absolute worse of any resort we've ever stayed at.

RIP Genie
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

Oh congrats! Have fun planning! We love BWI. The garden cottages are very special - perfect for honeymooners! But whatever you choose it will be wonderful

LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Babsy
DIS Veteran

If you don't know which resort you prefer what about the location?

Which theme park will you want to spend the most time visiting? If it is the ML than go for the CR or WL. If you like Epcot and DHS then the BC or BWI would work better.

Lots of dining and entertainment in the Epcot area as well.
personally, I think that the Epcot area hotels are in a more adult and romantic area than the MK hotels (Poly excepted, of course)
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

I would pick AK the whole time as well. It is a beautiful resort. I don't find the commute to the parks that bad. Of the others I would choose Poly or Beach Club for the theme and location. CR just isn't my taste.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
elizabetforrest
Earning My Ears

Wow. Thanks so much for all of the insight. For those of you recommending AKL for the entire stay, do you remember approximately how long it took you on average to get to the various parks. We do love that resort we were just worried it would really cut into park time, etc.
elizabetforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabetforrest View Post
Wow. Thanks so much for all of the insight. For those of you recommending AKL for the entire stay, do you remember approximately how long it took you on average to get to the various parks. We do love that resort we were just worried it would really cut into park time, etc.
We stayed at AKL once, cured us of that resort... It "is" out there...just was not our cup of tea for one night or a week...

Poly is nice but too expensive especially is construction might be going on and with all the outsiders walking thru and around... Not very peaceful...

Spiceycat mentioned WL or WLV.... That would be my pick. We enjoy the theming, atmosphere and ambiance of the Lodge... A little off the beaten path so outsiders are at a minimum ... Check it out, a deluxe without the high cost, in the MK area, on Bay Lake, boat ride to MK and FW and CR , you won't be sorry !

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
SorcerorM
Earning My Ears

AKL is aprox 10 min further than other resorts when going to Epcot, MK, and HS. However it doesnt share a resort so it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. and its next door to AK:-) the atmosphere is great and secluded. If you want night life and proximity I would look at Boardwalk it happens to be my second choice in resorts , right after AKL.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

YC/BC or even BWI club room
Mizzgolitely is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: