Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
tink2007
DIS Veteran

Document question

My husband's birth certificate is copy of the original. Will that be accepted? It does not have a raised seal on it. I thought I read somewhere that a birth certificate has to have a raised seal but on the DCL website, it says original or copy. Just want clarification.
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
2014 - Disney All Star Music
tink2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Weedy
DIS Veteran

You may want to take it to your Post Office (find one that does passports) and have them check it. Sometimes it is a hospital copy and not a state copy and they will not accept one from the hospital.

Also when they say copy it means a second one issued from the state not a photo copy.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

If it is a copy of the original, meaning a Xeroxed copy, that won't work. It needs to come from the state.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

This is one area where DCL's advice is kind of fuzzy. My take on it is that since the State actually holds the one and only "original" birth certificate then all others are "copies." It sounds like your DH has a xeroxed copy, whether from an official copy you don't indicate. I'd suggest you err on the side of caution and request an official copy from your DH's birth state. It may have a raised seal, a hologram, watermark or other official marking.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
lbatesetc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink2007 View Post
My husband's birth certificate is copy of the original. Will that be accepted? It does not have a raised seal on it. I thought I read somewhere that a birth certificate has to have a raised seal but on the DCL website, it says original or copy. Just want clarification.
Just had this issue. Clerk of court sent my application for passport and my original birth certificate (did not have a raised seal) they said it was fine. Now I get a letter stating they will not issue passport without a raised seal on the certificate. So had to order a new birth certificate, wait for it to arrive, then send it in again for the passport application. What a hassle, good thing my cruise is not until 2014.
lbatesetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink2007 View Post
As noted there is only one original. All others are copies.

AFAIK, you need an official copy (not just photo-copied). Not all official copies will have a seal (raised or otherwise). Some are printed on special paper, others have a watermark. There are even some that are plastic cards (similar to credit card size). What it needs is a statement on it somewhere saying it's an official (certified) copy and be signed by the registrar at the vital statistics office that issued it.

I did read once where someone did use just a photocopy to board the ship (I think to prove a point), but I'm not sure I'd risk it.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

I'm filling out all of our Passport applications and in Georgia we can pick up a certified copy of the birth certificate locally (copy with the raised seal). My 3 youngest were adopted from another state and while we have a copy of their 'vital statistics' which is an altered birth certificate with mom/dad names changed...it doesn't have the raised notary style seal. This is all they sent us though, along with raised seal court documents. I'm guessing you can request a certified copy via mail though? It actually says this when I look up the vital statistics office in the county they were born, so maybe their 'long form' is the seal version?

Passports
All person seeking birth certificates to apply for a passport must obtain a long form birth certificate from the Santa Rosa location, or by mail.

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPack View Post
I'm filling out all of our Passport applications and in Georgia we can pick up a certified copy of the birth certificate locally (copy with the raised seal). My 3 youngest were adopted from another state and while we have a copy of their 'vital statistics' which is an altered birth certificate with mom/dad names changed...it doesn't have the raised notary style seal. This is all they sent us though, along with raised seal court documents. I'm guessing you can request a certified copy via mail though? It actually says this when I look up the vital statistics office in the county they were born, so maybe their 'long form' is the seal version?

Passports
All person seeking birth certificates to apply for a passport must obtain a long form birth certificate from the Santa Rosa location, or by mail.
For hard question like this you need to ask the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office. Here is a link to their site. On the right you will see a box for e mail us your question. I suggest asking them and then take a copy of their answer with you when you cruise. You would not want to de denied boarding on the day of your cruise and have to say someone on the Disboards said it would be OK.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...loop%20cruises
Old 08-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
seashellmama
Mouseketeer

Actually, DCL's information says that a photocopy IS fine, but I'm personally not convinced that that's true.

Under "Required documents for US citizens" at
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...documentation/
Quote:
With the exception of the state issued birth certificate, photocopies of the above documents are not acceptable. Hospital issued birth certificates are not acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship for purposes of traveling outside of the U.S.
seashellmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
DeutchPrinzessin
Earning My Ears

My husband is a US citizen born overseas (his father was military). We needed to have his FS 240, and it needed to have a raised seal in order to get on the ship. It was on their website, but I called anyway and had them connect me to a supervisor at guest embarkation services at the port. I told them exactly what I had to make absolutely certain that it was OK, which it is. The raised seal is very important. I would call DCL, and speak to somebody. They are very helpful!
DeutchPrinzessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbatesetc View Post
Just had this issue. Clerk of court sent my application for passport and my original birth certificate (did not have a raised seal) they said it was fine. Now I get a letter stating they will not issue passport without a raised seal on the certificate. So had to order a new birth certificate, wait for it to arrive, then send it in again for the passport application. What a hassle, good thing my cruise is not until 2014.
Many clerks are quite helpful, but they are not the final decision makers and often when the documents get to the passport offices, they are rejected or more documents are needed. I know a lot of people who said "Oh, the clerk said I didn't need to submit the original XXX" (usually for the people I'm talking about it is the certificate of citizenship) and then a few weeks later they get a request for the original document.

My birth certificate looks about as unofficial as it can (it is a copy of a black and white microfiche document) but it has a seal.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
mordecai
Mouseketeer

I read not too long ago that someone tried to board with photocopies of their birth cert and were turned away because they were not originals (literally missed their cruise because of this). I wouldn't risk it. You can get a new birth cert issued usually in a few days for not a lot of money.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

I did read once where someone did use just a photocopy to board the ship (I think to prove a point), but I'm not sure I'd risk it.
I want to do this. It bugs me that dcl says this on their site and in the documents they send. If its not right they need to change it.

I'd love to see that thread though. Passports and birth certs are an interest of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
I read not too long ago that someone tried to board with photocopies of their birth cert and were turned away because they were not originals (literally missed their cruise because of this). I wouldn't risk it. You can get a new birth cert issued usually in a few days for not a lot of money.
I'd love to see that thread too! Wow, two threads about boarding with what dcl says we can board with, and I missed them both!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Weedy
DIS Veteran

This is from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)

These are the people that could say no to you boarding your cruise.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
This is from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)

These are the people that could say no to you boarding your cruise.
The issue here is, it's written a bit ambiguously. It's not real clear whether the phrase "issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born" refers to both the original AND the copy as having to be issued by the Vital Records Department, or if the original is the one that must be issued and a copy of this original (photocopy) is OK.

And, yes the CBP people are the ones that can say yes or no. But it's also not uncommon for cruiselines to have stricter requirements than the government.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: