Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
natmom
Mouseketeer

Losing my excitement

The MDR thread is really taking the wind out of my sails . I should stop coming to the dis boards until closer to our cruise on the fantasy. I look to come here to share in the excitement of cruising and there is so much mudslinging , even when you just offer an honest opinion.
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I never even checked out DISboards until after my cruise. I'm sure I'll get bored of Dis & Cruise Critic eventually but it's kinda my summer hobby at the moment.

People can have very strong opinions online when they aren't face to face. None of them will likely be on your cruise with you and Disney cruisers are the NICEST people I've ever cruised with.

You have PLENTY to be excited for with your trip. DIS actually doesn't have that much to do with your ACTUAL trip. If you need to take a break, feel free to. Otherwise, who cares if they have an opinion, you likely have one, they have theirs, the end.

Bee Happy!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post
The MDR thread is really taking the wind out of my sails . I should stop coming to the dis boards until closer to our cruise on the fantasy. I look to come here to share in the excitement of cruising and there is so much mudslinging , even when you just offer an honest opinion.
If you aren't already involved in a thread for your specific cruise, you should look into it. I find that I get consistently happy discussions there. Maybe it's bc we will meet face to face, or bc we all have something to look forward to, but it's def keeping my excitement up more than some other threads.

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
DisneyDreamer2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Disney Canadian
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
I never even checked out DISboards until after my cruise. I'm sure I'll get bored of Dis & Cruise Critic eventually but it's kinda my summer hobby at the moment.

People can have very strong opinions online when they aren't face to face. None of them will likely be on your cruise with you and Disney cruisers are the NICEST people I've ever cruised with.

You have PLENTY to be excited for with your trip. DIS actually doesn't have that much to do with your ACTUAL trip. If you need to take a break, feel free to. Otherwise, who cares if they have an opinion, you likely have one, they have theirs, the end.

Bee Happy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer2504 View Post
If you aren't already involved in a thread for your specific cruise, you should look into it. I find that I get consistently happy discussions there. Maybe it's bc we will meet face to face, or bc we all have something to look forward to, but it's def keeping my excitement up more than some other threads.
Yes and Yes! I felt the same way after about a minute on the boards (ok, a bit of an exaggeration). I have now learned to stay away from all that is negative, at least don't engage, it's not worth it. I have thoroughly enjoyed my meet group and am looking forward to meeting them soon!

It really is a shame that some people find it necessary to be mean and nasty. I am very forgiving with those who have a bad day, week, etc. but there are those that have the habitual need to make others feel less than.

Have fun planning and getting excited and again, ignore those who are killing your buzz
January 2013: Port Orleans - French Quarter
Sept/Oct 2013: AOA-Little Mermaid/Western Caribbean Cruise - Fantasy
February 2014: Pop Century/4 Night to the Bahamas on the Reimagined Magic!

November 2014: Caribbean Beach for DD's 5th Birthday
October 2015: Eastern Caribbean - Fantasy

Disney Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

I love spending time on the DISboard, as it helps me get my cruise "fix" while I have to wait (and wait...and wait)...and I too come across posts that sometimes get a bit "opinionated" or snarky, and I can feel myself becoming disenchanted. Once that happens, I just make it a point not even to look at those threads any longer. It's pretty obvious that the discussion is no longer "productive" and often the attacks can be very mean-spirited, so I just avoid them. Is it possible I will miss something "good" that is posted there now that I'm no longer reading updates? Perhaps, but I want to keep my spirits high and attitude positive, so it's not worth it to even "peek" once a thread has "gone south."

Spend your time looking at all of the other terrific posts that this wonderful community has to offer!
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

OP--try visiting the DCL photo of the day threads. Those are all beautiful pictures and the posters there all compliment each other. It's very affirming.

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

We had a Disboards meet and greet on the first day of our cruise and while everybody was not my cup of tea all four of us found people we liked to spend time with on the cruise. I would not let it get you down or dampen your excitement at all.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
natmom
Mouseketeer

THANK-YOU everyone! I'm feeling better already I'm going to look at the photo of the day and check out my cruise date ...fantasy may 10,2014

Disney Canadian, where are you from? I'm from Waterloo Ontario
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post
Don't let anything on here let you down! We're just people. The cruise is a great time and I have no doubt you'll have a blast. Ignore the mudslingers. When I come across someone who's over the top I either ignore them or if I'm feeling frisky I reply and have fun lol!

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

I try to not even open threads that I know are going to be hot topic ones. I steer towards ones that may be helpful to me, or ones that I may have experience in so that I can help someone. Or I read trip reports, so that gets me excited for my own cruise.

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia_girl View Post
OP--try visiting the DCL photo of the day threads. Those are all beautiful pictures and the posters there all compliment each other. It's very affirming.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Also you can help me choose a tail color if you like. That's nuthin but fun!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Honestly. Don't let any thread on this board affect how you feel about your cruise. Wear whatever you want to the dining room (just don't look ratty) and enjoy it.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
CatDenver
Mouseketeer

Another suggestion is to pop out to the Port Canaveral webcam and watch the Disney ships depart. The Dream will be leaving shortly. It's always fun and exciting to watch her pull away and hear the horns.

http://portcanaveralwebcam.com/

Moi DH Michael (13) Catie (10)

Disney HalloWonder Bahamian Cruise - Oct 26, 2013
Pre-trip Report The Yours Mine and Ours Mystery Tour
Trip Report We Are Family (I've got all my children with me) HalloWonder Trip Report
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDenver View Post
Another suggestion is to pop out to the Port Canaveral webcam and watch the Disney ships depart. The Dream will be leaving shortly. It's always fun and exciting to watch her pull away and hear the horns.

http://portcanaveralwebcam.com/

Yes! I'm watching now!

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: