DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

$1000 to $2000 for park admission also take a big chunk out of the budget. And ticket prices continue to go up each year. Also, annual member fees go up each year. Plus you've got to get there. So depending on how far away you are, it could be a lot.

Disney vacations are not cheap by any means like others have already said.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Kcags
Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone for your advice! I was originally thinking a contract with SS because the points are cheaper and expiration date longer. But I will probably be wanting to stay at other resorts, so i should spend the extra money now to ensure i get a room we want 7 months out. I dont mind sharing bed and bathrooms, but the laundry is definitely a positive. I will have to check if we could do a 4 night stay with the 1 bedroom. Maybe even doing a split stay so we have a week long vacation. Also, can you get free dining when you are using the DVC? Thanks again! Theres lots to think about but I will stick with what is practical in the present.
Kcags is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcags View Post
Also, can you get free dining when you are using the DVC?
When you're reserving a villa with your points, you're using your timeshare, not booking a hotel room with Disney. So, no free dining or any of the other promotions that come from that division of Disney. Those promotions are intended to entice people to book resort rooms that Disney owns. As members, we are using room inventory that we own.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcags
Thanks to everyone for your advice! I was originally thinking a contract with SS because the points are cheaper and expiration date longer. But I will probably be wanting to stay at other resorts, so i should spend the extra money now to ensure i get a room we want 7 months out. I dont mind sharing bed and bathrooms, but the laundry is definitely a positive. I will have to check if we could do a 4 night stay with the 1 bedroom. Maybe even doing a split stay so we have a week long vacation. Also, can you get free dining when you are using the DVC? Thanks again! Theres lots to think about but I will stick with what is practical in the present.
Keep in mind that owning at another resort will only get you booking priority at that one resort. So if you have three or four you would like to stay at, you are still at a loss for all but one. So unless you have one specific resort you want to stay at often or you plan on buying multiple home resorts, SSR might still be the way to go because of the cost savings.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Kcags
Mouseketeer

True, it was my thinking that even though AKL is more pricey, I would be able to get a 6 night stay there at slower times of the year. It didnt sound like those rooms are guaranteed 7 months out. It seems you get more for your points there rather than BLT or other resorts where i could only stay 3 or4 nights in a 1 bedroom. There is so much to consider, positives and negatives to every situation! I am feeling so lost!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
True, it was my thinking that even though AKL is more pricey, I would be able to get a 6 night stay there at slower times of the year. It didnt sound like those rooms are guaranteed 7 months out. It seems you get more for your points there rather than BLT or other resorts where i could only stay 3 or4 nights in a 1 bedroom. There is so much to consider, positives and negatives to every situation! I am feeling so lost!
If you don't care where you stay, what category of room, or how many points it costs, buy at the resort with the cheapest point and dues cost.

If you like a certain resort, category of room, view, buy at that resort.

We have stayed at each resort several times and we now know that the resort matters to us. VGF and VWL for MK stays and BWV for DHS and Epcot stays.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
crisi
DIS Veteran

Those rooms aren't guarenteed at ELEVEN months. There are very few of them and because of the low points, they'll book very quickly.

A few questions -

Are you content with values?
Are you content off-site?
Is the big driver here saving money?
A personal question that you don't need to answer, but do think about - are you expecting money to get less tight in the next few years and after you have kids? Student loans paid off, a big raise after a few years in the profession - that sort of thing. Kids don't make vacations cheaper and DVC makes Disney into an expensive commitment.

It sounds like the financial component of this is a big deal - and personally, I get nervous when the financial component of this purchase is a big deal - because its really easy to loose your shirt on this through no fault of your own - so you sort of need to go into it with an extra shirt.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Kcags
Mouseketeer

Points do matter now. Location not as much. And no, values and moderates aren't our thing. Neither is staying off site. I love that we can go every other year. But money is the tightest now too. Once student loans are paid, I wont be so strapped down.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Points do matter now. Location not as much. And no, values and moderates aren't our thing. Neither is staying off site. I love that we can go every other year. But money is the tightest now too. Once student loans are paid, I wont be so strapped down.
In terms of choosing resort, if you are going to book those trips during the home resort time, then paying more for AKV vs. SSR, so you can book there is worth the extra money, IMO--if that is where you would rather stay if you couldn't trade out.

If it really doesn't matter, or you won't be booking until 7 months or less, then it doesn't matter at all.

We too have found owning where we want is important and paid more to do so. We love BLT and BWV. Owning BLT does help us to get the SV rooms, which we don't mind since the point cost puts it in line with the other resorts we like. We like BWV because we can choose between SV or BW view without having to worry, depending on whether we want to conserve points, or spend the extra for the nicer view.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Deb & Bill

Quote:
How about a mortgage? Do you have one yet? Or car payments? Those also should be considered first before you buy DVC points. A DVC vacation isn't a cheap vacation by any means. All you have is your lodging. And if you only go every other year, you still pay the monthly fees on your points the year you aren't going.

You will never get the deals on a points stay that you get from a direct from Disney for cash stay. Members don't get stay four nights get three free on points. Or Book a studio and get a one bedroom. You get what you book unless there was an emergency at the last minute and the only villa in the category that you booked is unavailable.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
jodifla

DIS Veteran

If you start out with 50 points, I would pick a resort that you know you would like to stay at AND has low amounts for studios.

you can get your feet wet and make sure it's a vacation you would really enjoy on a regular basis ...and by banking and borrowing, you could even use 150 points some years. Once you have kids, it's REALLY a vacation when you don't have to be in the same room with them 24/7.

We started off before we had kids with 150 points, then added on with 56 points. We've owned for 17 years, and we've been very happy with our purchase.

And if you decide DVC isn't for you, it won't be hard to sell the 50 points.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
Kcags
Mouseketeer

I thought you could only borrow OR bank in combination with you previous year. Can you do both? I thought with 50 yearly points, i could only ever use 100 at a time.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought you could only borrow OR bank in combination with you previous year. Can you do both? I thought with 50 yearly points, i could only ever use 100 at a time.
You can bank and borrow at the same time. So with a 50-point contract, you could bank Year 1's points and borrow Year 3's points and travel in Year 2 with 150 points.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
You can bank and borrow at the same time. So with a 50-point contract, you could bank Year 1's points and borrow Year 3's points and travel in Year 2 with 150 points.
But if you have to cancel, you could lose the banked points if you can't get something quickly. And borrowed points could not be unborrowed. You could bank the current year points as long as you weren't in the last four months of your use year.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
mckinneyld2000
Earning My Ears

We've got 130 points at SSR and go every year or multiple times over the course of 1 year (using banked / borrowed points). Our kids are 3 and 2 right now and a studio is fine for us, however within the next 2 years we will have to buy more points to allow us to stay in a 1 BR. To me the idea, should not be how many points to buy, but where to buy. For toddlers there's not much for them to do at some of the parks, however at MK there's lots to do! With this in mind, I would have tried to buy at VWL or maybe at BLT if I would have thought about it more. You can get into some of the other resorts (at the 7 month mark), however you sometimes have to limit your length of stay or have split stays.

mckinneyld2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: