Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #31
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

3 days out of kindergarten??? HAHAHA! No offense but go have fun!

We've pulled ours out for 5 days up until our older one went to 8th grade. Since then, we try to pull them out no more than 3 days.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #32
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Always take our 6 kids out during school. We live in Alaska and usually by the end of Jan or Feb we can't take another week of 30 below and no sun- so we leave The only time the kids had trouble was when we missed the first week after Christmas break. Apparently no harm was done- my oldest was on the Presidents List at college, 2nd oldest graduated with a 3.8 GPA last year And the other 4 are all on honor roll
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
Farps
Mouseketeer

In my opinion I think it is fine at that age. But it definitely becomes more and more difficult as they become older, in our school district high school kids have to make up gym class if they miss a day by staying after school. Not a bad thing but it shows how strict that they have become.

Last edited by Farps; 08-08-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Farps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #34
BarefeetMom
Earning My Ears

Lol, He'll be in kindergarten this year but first grade at the time of the cruise. I know It's a silly question but, hey, he's my first kid, lol
BarefeetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
dcassetta
Mouseketeer

Not a silly question at all. As some posters have mentioned, missing school can create issues depending on your state/district. I would contact the school and check to make sure you are in compliance.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #36
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Kindergarten and younger grades shouldn't be a problem. We did it a few times over the years. Now that they are in HS, it just doesn't work. Way too much work to make up and missed activities.

Working in a school now, I see that it REALLY depends on the student. Some kids miss time and it is really hard for them when they get back...the other kids really are learning while they are gone and the kid on vacation is missing everything! The students that are at or above grade level usually can handle it though.

Talking with the teacher in advance to see how they want to handle it is very helpful, but don't expect them to have all their lesson plans finished in advance just for you. We had some give us a packet of work, others ask our children to keep a journal while they were gone and others not ask for any work! Someone suggested having your child do a "show and tell" when they get back. That would TOTALLY be up to the teacher. There are a lot of time constraints to get all the curriculum in(even in K and 1st grades despite that many people think kids are just playing at school). Many teachers also might not want to put the spotlight on a student that was lucky enough to go on vacation while they have many others that are struggling to get by day to day.

Also, be sure to check with your school office. Many schools require you to fill out an anticipated absence form...that way it might not be counted as an "unexcused" absence.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #37
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

There is no Think ... Only Do!

And if your child is a reasonable student, taking them out of school for a week at a time will not cause them any problems - at least through Middle School. Other issues once the kids hit high school. We wish we had taken our kids out of school more frequently than we did - would have saved money and time going outside of the school calendar.

The school(s) will strongly disagree. But here is the "test". Get the "next weeks" homework / classroom assignments just before you leave on your trip. Have your child do all of the work before he/she returns to class. Measure the amount of time it takes for the class to catch up with the work your child already has done. If our experience is any indication, your child will be OVER a week ahead - maybe even two (yep, the "math" does NOT add up). That should convince you that it's ok to take your kids out of school - pretty much at will.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Three should be fine. I missed four days of elementary school; consequently, I can't read, write, nor perform basic math. I shun bright spaces, scrounge in the dirt for scraps, and generally drool a lot. Don't miss four
Four Swampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Our school district has a very strict 15 day absence policy that applies even to Kindergarten.

There is no "family vacation" take-home homework thing. You must go, and anything other than illness is not excused.

After 15 days of either excused or unexcused absences, your child is expelled and must either be accepted into a different school within the district, or private school, or if you go to HS then continuation HS.

I grew up here and it was so hard not get kicked out every year since 2 tardies also = 1 unexcused absence and my HS lacked enough parking spaces so we were always late....

If you have even 1 incident of unexcused absence (truancy) even if the parent said it was OK for the child to be absent, they can take away privileges like graduation and other school activities. It's pretty crazy.

Anyway, yea I can't take my kindergartener out next year for the EBTA and I'm so bummed.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 08-08-2013 at 03:13 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

We pulled our daughter out of her kindergarten-level school for two weeks to go on the Panama Canal cruise. My niece is in a traditional kindergarten and she went, too. Three days is nothing!

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #41
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Our school district has a very strict 15 day absence policy that applies even to Kindergarten.

There is no "family vacation" take-home homework thing. You must go, and anything other than illness is not excused.

After 15 days of either excused or unexcused absences, your child is expelled and must either be accepted into a different school within the district, or private school, or if you go to HS then continuation HS.

I grew up here and it was so hard not get kicked out every year since 2 tardies also = 1 unexcused absence and my HS lacked enough parking spaces so we were always late....

If you have even 1 incident of unexcused absence (truancy) even if the parent said it was OK for the child to be absent, they can take away privileges like graduation and other school activities. It's pretty crazy.

Anyway, yea I can't take my kindergartener out next year for the EBTA and I'm so bummed.
What state are you in? I WONT be moving there.
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #42
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

I recently found out that my son will have the same teacher for 7th that he had in 5th....he had the philosophy that it was educational travel....lol Had him do a travel journal and all was well!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #43
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spwhoney View Post

What state are you in? I WONT be moving there.
Seriously! If I didn't already homeschool, a policy like this would be enough to convince me.

Back to topic, I was a teacher (public and private) and I could always tell in advance who would return the work I sent home. Those kids did just fine. The kids who didn't bother with the work struggles. But they weren't doing well before, either, so it's not like missing a few days was the turning point. The point is, I agree with the other posters who said you know your child best. If he can handle it, go for it and have a great time!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #44
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

Sounds like its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY TO THE SCHOOL DISTRICT - not so much about the education of the kids. Sorry to hear about your crappy system. I thought ours sucked - but its not as bad as yours. Again - So Sorry About That!!

Instead of the EBTA (May) how about the EBPC (September) cruise. Your child would just start kindergarten late. Don't pre register -- you "just moved" to your current location - right Will they fight you on that point? Maybe, but since he/she wasn't register - you didn't actually miss any school!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #45
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
Sounds like its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY TO THE SCHOOL DISTRICT - not so much about the education of the kids. Sorry to hear about your crappy system. I thought ours sucked - but its not as bad as yours. Again - So Sorry About That!!

Instead of the EBTA (May) how about the EBPC (September) cruise. Your child would just start kindergarten late. Don't pre register -- you "just moved" to your current location - right Will they fight you on that point? Maybe, but since he/she wasn't register - you didn't actually miss any school!
I would totally do that, if my schools started in Sept. My kids are already back in school, but can I just say, brilliant!

sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: