Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
Bree
Mouseketeer

I always pulled my kids out of school for vacation and never had issues until our vacation this past May. I won't go into details, but it was a nightmare trying to get my DS (4th grade) caught up. I think if you have a child that is struggling as it is on a daily basis with school it's not a good idea. We thought that we could handle it and took all the necessary steps to keep him on track and it blew up in our faces. So for now on we will stick to the school calendar for vacation time and just pay the premium prices.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
mymainmouse
Mouseketeer

We have always taken our daughters out of school for a week of vacation. It is hard for my husband to get time off of work during the summer so we usually end up going in the fall. Both of our daughters are good students so it doesn't seem to bother them. The school system here has a policy of makeup work being due at the end of the same amount of time you were gone. So if you miss 5 days you have 5 to make it up. I feel that kids grow up so quickly that our family time is just as important as school time so we will vacation with them while we can. The teachers have always been very helpful too.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
LILRERE
Mouseketeer

We are taking our kindergartener out for a family cruise in Feb 2014 I have already told the principle and teacher. The teacher was excited for us Yes I feel a little guilty but it was so much more affordable then summertime. Next year I will try to plan it around spring break but it is just k-5 and my son is a great student! So I say make some family memories!
Serenade of the Seas 2007
Independence of the Seas 2009
Majesty of the Seas 2011
Disney Dream Feb 2014

Disney Vacation 2005
Disney Vacation 2011
Mini Disney Vacation 2012
LILRERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mousefans View Post
Because of work schedules and pricing, we have found it necessary to take our family vacations during the school year since the time our girls were very little. I always provide several months notice to the teachers and now that the girls are older, they are able to work with their teachers to be sure and have the work either done in advance or make arrangements to complete it upon our return. Even at the high school level, we have never had a problem taking four or five days...the teachers and administration have been very supportive. The greater problem was with school sports, but both girls were willing to take any consequences that would result from their absences as were we as parents. I should add that both girls are A students and rarely, if ever, have additional absences. It may not work for everyone, but with a little advanced planning and good communication, it works for us.
Growing up, I don't have too many memories of elementary school. Some, but nothing of any import. I can tell you nothing happened to make a huge impact on me school wise. I was never a great student, but not a bad one either.

I can tell you, though, than in 1982, my parents took me and my sister out of school for a week to Disneyworld. The one and only vacation we were able to afford. I can pretty much tell you what we did every day on that vacation.

I don't have a problem taking my daughter out of school once in a while for such trips. If you talk to the teachers, and talk to your children, you can make it work with a negligible impact on their grades.

The memories you give them are priceless.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
canadiandisneycruise
Mouseketeer

There's more to education than sitting in a desk! That's coming from a teacher! We take our kids out every year. I work it so we miss the least amount, but we still go! My oldest is graduating high school this year, & she can't miss due to a university program she participates in. First year we ARE NOT going away during school! But we have one booked for the summer!! ;-)
canadiandisneycruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #21
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

It really depends on where you live, make sure you know your local laws. in some states if you are out for a few days in a month you can actually get served for truancy and have to appear before a judge and face potential fines, and if a repeat offender further penalties, and this is even for parent excused days which count as unexcused absences for the schools... personally this is one of the most dumbest rules out there, it's really put in place for school funding based on attendance.

Now growing up my Dad was a high school principal, and my parents never had an issue of taking us out of school for extended vacations around the holidays if we were traveling far, I remember the teachers just giving a lot of the work ahead of time.

Personally I say the memories and learning experiences on a family vacation are more valuable than what can be missed in a few days at school. take the trip
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
nene0182
Mouseketeer

We take my son out of school for vacations. Because of various issues we are unable to take vacations in the summer. And from what I've read our schools must be weird. They don't get more then a 3-4 day weekend except for Christmas break and then they usually get about 10 days. But I am unable to take year end off at my job. So really we don't have a choice and I always said that I would travel with my son and take him places I never got to go as a child. Everyone does it around here especially in the winter to escape the North Dakota cold so they teachers don't care and some of them take winter vacations as well.

CSR- 10/2012
nene0182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #23
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

It's kindergarten. Yes, take her out.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
jojmartin
Earning My Ears

We're taking my son and his best buddy out of school for a week, a month after is starts. They are going into second grade. Their teacher and school administrators are aware and fully supportive. I would imagine this would be harder if they were in middle school, but it is so much easier to do in the earlier years.
jojmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
KansasFroggie
My family thinks I need Disney Intervention

Yes

First I should confess that I used to be one of those who wondered why people took kids out of school for vacation. I was a young teacher with no kids at the time (you know....back when I was a perfect parent before I actually had kids). Now, I'd say it is all dependant on your kids. If they are caught up academically I'd say go for it. The vacation is a different kind of education . However, if a child is struggling in school I'd say, no. Keep them in school. Just my 2 cents. By the way, now that I'm actually a parent, we have taking our kids out of school for vacation lots . All those young, childless teachers will get over it.
KansasFroggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

My kids missed school for vacations all throughout their school years. They are both in college now and are doing great. I wouldn't worry a bit about kindergarten.

I would try and schedule vacations around school holidays so they wouldn't miss as much, but when they were in 7th and 9th grade we took a week off in December to take a cruise and they both did fine.

Some people will tell you to NEVER take them out of school for vacations but as long as your child isn't struggling it's not the end of the world.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #27
aanderson5
DIS Veteran

We have taken DS out for a couple vacations every year and will continue to do so as long as he is doing well. We have had nothing but support from the school. I volunteer in his classroom and have had good relationships with his teachers for the past three years. They have given him no 'additional' work other than asking him to give a small oral presentation (written out with a drawing).

His teachers give a newsletter at the beginning of the month with everything they will be covering academically as well as any special events to be held at the school or classroom, plus a months worth of homework on a calendar at a time. He has access to his level of english reading books on line as well an excellent site made up by the French teachers at school with various areas of learning (he is in French immersion) which they are expected to utilize on a regular basis. If kids are off school for any reason (sick, vacation ...) they are able keep up with their work.

We believe vacation time is important bonding time for our family (DH has a very demanding job). We try to minimize loss of school time by scheduling around holidays and also vacation in the summer. If there comes a point where taking the kids out of school will put them behind we will alter our plans but I don't see that being a problem until DS is out of elementary school.

aanderson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I have always taken my kids out of school for vacations. They usually miss between five and eight days of school a year because of our travels. I've always thought it was worth it and I've never once regretted doing it. I'll be pulling my son out for two weeks when he's in eighth grade so we can do a Panama Canal cruise. (Ok, I admit I'm a little nervous about that one. It'll be fine though. Valuable life experience and all that.) I would not hesitate at all to take a kindergartener out for a few days.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
I have always taken my kids out of school for vacations. They usually miss between five and eight days of school a year because of our travels. I've always thought it was worth it and I've never once regretted doing it. I'll be pulling my son out for two weeks when he's in eighth grade so we can do a Panama Canal cruise. (Ok, I admit I'm a little nervous about that one. It'll be fine though. Valuable life experience and all that.) I would not hesitate at all to take a kindergartener out for a few days.
I was a bit nervous last year when I took my DDs out for the last two weeks of school last year for the EBTA. Our schools were fine with it. My girls didn't miss much at all. It was mostly review and the end of the year field trips and field days. My girls had more valuable learning experiences during our travels and a lot more fun too.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefeetMom View Post
My first child will begin kindergarten this year. Yay!

Anyway I'd really like to book a cruise for Oct. 2014. Will missing 3 days of school make a huge impact? It's been a long time since I was in school, lol.
You are worried about missing 3 days of Kindergarden?

No offense to the educational system, but that's like coloring and recess...

Go on your trip as a family!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: