Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
USUKMama
Mouseketeer

Help! My daughter just broke her arm

We are leaving on a 3 day cruise on the Dream tomorrow and my 6 year old DD broke her arm this afternoon. She is now in a full arm cast and is not allowed to get it wet or sandy. We are going ahead with the cruise (doctors say she is fine to travel). Can people help me with tips to make this a magical cruise without the pools, aquaduck or Castaway Cay beach?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Shelby109
Mouseketeer

What a bummer! It seems lie there area ton of non water things to do: movies, games, kids club, activities. Also - can her cast be signed?? Maybe the characters can sign it??
Shelby109 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USUKMama View Post
We are leaving on a 3 day cruise on the Dream tomorrow and my 6 year old DD broke her arm this afternoon. She is now in a full arm cast and is not allowed to get it wet or sandy. We are going ahead with the cruise (doctors say she is fine to travel). Can people help me with tips to make this a magical cruise without the pools, aquaduck or Castaway Cay beach?
Is it possible for you to check out a nearby drug store? Or Walmart? Get a cast protector. At least that way she may be able to enjoy the beach and get close to the water (but not fully in). I used one when I broke my wrist and it kept my cast dry even in the shower.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Mid ship detective agency, movies, all the stuff going on at the kids club, the shows... maybe you could splurge and take her to BBB to make her feel better about everything. It is only a 3 day cruise, so that is plenty to keep her busy.

Instead of an autograph book, maybe you can have the characters signing her cast! Bring some sharpies, but I would go to guest services when you get on the ship, tell them what happened the day before, and make sure that they will sign a cast with the sharpies, before you tell her this.

Our neighbors son broke his arm one summer, and the mom rubberbanded clear trash bags to it so he could at least sit on the edge of the pool (but not go under water). This might work if she just wanted to go to CC and look around, but not go swimming...
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
DH broke his wrist a few months ago and got a water-proof cast protector for taking a shower. Just do a Google search for cast protector and you'll see all types of them. (Obviously you'd have to find a local drugstore instead of ordering online, but at least you'd know what you're looking for.) I wouldn't recommend swimming with one, especially since she can't bend her arm, but she should be able to wade in the water and play on the beach without totally ruining the cast.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Walgreens has arm cast protectors. If you get the adult size it will cover the whole arm. My son broke his wrist a week before our cruise and with these he was able to swim, aquaduck, etc. used them for showers and had no leakage whatsoever.

Wonder 12/21/08
Dream 03/27/12
Fantasy 07/14/12
Dream 10/07/12
Dream 10/11/12
Fantasy 05/25/13
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

I agree go and get a cast cover from the CVS or Walgreens - get several - at least she can take a shower an get near the water. If you can find one on short notice, I would highly recommend a Cast Cooler - my daughter has had multiple casts and the cast cooler is amazing. Her ortho now recommends them to his patients due to her experience. Even after having a non-waterproof cast on for 8 weeks - in the summer - it did not smell when she took it off. And it feels good when it is on - you will need a vacuum with a hose. I really helps my daughter and after surgery she was able to not use the pain meds when she could use the cast cooler.

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014 Booked!
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Msmit002
Family Concierge

Oh bummer! And the Orthopaedic surgeon didn't offer to use the waterproof cast liner? I think it was called Aquacast. It's the same fiberglass cast, but the liner is waterproof. When I broke my ankle last summer, I had the waterproof liner and I was able to get the whole thing wet. I thought it was the best thing ever. I remember that I had to pay for that part out of pocket (I think it was $40) since it wasn't covered by insurance, but totally worth it.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

When we were on the Dream in early July, there was a girl with her leg in a cast, and at least all the princesses signed it. We watched some of the princess gathering in the lobby and every one of them I saw interacting with her were incredible - even getting down on their knees (spreading the dresses appropriately of course!) to sign the cast.

So my guess is that yes. As long as she's allowed to get the cast signed, the characters will sign it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
colmom
Earning My Ears

You can find cast covers at Walgreens and even Safeway. My daughter had a broken leg and was on crutches/wheelchair when we went on the Mexican Riviera cruise; she used a cast protector and sat in the spray areas when it was hot! She also got a lot of extra attention from the staff (in a good way). I was so worried before we went, but it turned out just fine!

WDW 2006 and 2012, plus 2x in 1970s
Disneyland 2004, 2002, plus multiple times in 1990s

colmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
pcannizzaro76
Earning My Ears

Forget all of thwart other stuff. You need to go to another orthopedic doctor's office and request a waterproof cast. My daughter had one on our cruise a few years back. The key is the cast padding is made of Gortex and can get wet without causing any harm to the cast. Our original pediatric orthopedic doctor would not put the water proof cast on, so we went to another doctor who would do it. It is well worth the extra money because those cast protectors do not work very well and become a pain to deal with after a while. My advice is pay the money for the water proof cast and go about your cruise as normal.😄
pcannizzaro76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
pcannizzaro76
Earning My Ears

I found a pic.

pcannizzaro76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
star72232
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcannizzaro76 View Post
Forget all of thwart other stuff. You need to go to another orthopedic doctor's office and request a waterproof cast. My daughter had one on our cruise a few years back. The key is the cast padding is made of Gortex and can get wet without causing any harm to the cast. Our original pediatric orthopedic doctor would not put the water proof cast on, so we went to another doctor who would do it. It is well worth the extra money because those cast protectors do not work very well and become a pain to deal with after a while. My advice is pay the money for the water proof cast and go about your cruise as normal.😄
DD broke her arm last summer just before we headed up to the cottage. The waterproof cast was worth it's weight in gold. It cost us about $45 to have it instead of a traditional plaster cast, and it was actually covered by our insurance.
star72232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
USUKMama
Mouseketeer

Thank you all! The no waterproof cast is something to do with her type of break. This is Children's Hospital in Boston and I trust them. I'll see if I can pick up a cover - great idea. And I would of never thought of having the characters sign it - sometimes I am dense! First stop will be guest services to ask about that!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #15
postalchick71
Mouseketeer

My son broke his arm earlier this summer and couldn't get a waterproof cast either. They said if it's the lower part of your arm it's possible to get one. His break was above his elbow and waterproof was not an option.
2011-7 Night Magic(Western)
2012-7 Night Magic(Western)
2013-March 24 Dream
2014-April 12 Fantasy
postalchick71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: